PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Travelers Rest, SC newspaper ignores GSU and App in rankings.

catamount man
July 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
http://www.trtribune.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6583:furman-picked-fifth-in-socon-preseason-football-polls&catid=60:trhs-sports&Itemid=213

GlassOnion
July 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
In that case, the All-Socon team is short, by about half a roster.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Is amusing they didn't even mention the malcontents.

cmaxwellgsu
July 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I got a chuckle out of it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I guess 5th sounds a lot better than 7th.

tourguide
July 25th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Good for them, I love when people ignore quitters

Apphole
July 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I'd rather App not appear in print next to these institutions anyway.

ASUMountaineer
July 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM

So, you ignored NDSU when they quit on DII? Nice contribution.

catamount man
July 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/201307241qu2wi Straight from Furman's website. LOL!

eaglewraith
July 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mLLxZRT.jpg?1

cmaxwellgsu
July 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/201307241qu2wi Straight from Furman's website. LOL!

They were nice enough to mention with an asterick at the bottom. Thumbs up Pansies!!

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Umm, what? You can call them plenty of names, but quitters isn't one. A program that is trying to better itself isn't quitting.

CID1990
July 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM
http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/07/25/socon-botches-media-day/

cmaxwellgsu
July 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/07/25/socon-botches-media-day/

I actually agree with that article 100%. Not to turn this into any other kind of thread about the conference, but the SoCon has been great to us and I will miss it. I am excited about our move, and do wish the best for those still there. It was nice playing in a league with such history.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I actually agree with that article 100%. Not to turn this into any other kind of thread about the conference, but the SoCon has been great to us and I will miss it. I am excited about our move, and do wish the best for those still there. It was nice playing in a league with such history.

Agreed. That article is exactly correct even to the point that Saint and I had said a few weeks back that the players should be eligible for the SoCon awards but the teams as a whole should not and that decision was already made anyway so don't get the messing it up now.

Accelerati Incredibilus
July 25th, 2013, 06:41 PM
It's good to be loved and appreciated! xrolleyesx

chattownmocs
July 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Its not that hard. They can finish first, but they are ineligible for the conference championship.

appsfan
July 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I wonder if the papers there will ignore App and GaSo when we play Furman this year?

catamount man
July 25th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I wonder if the papers there will ignore App and GaSo when we play Furman this year?
Florida State plays at Clemson the day App plays at Furman. You can pretty much bet the local media will be all over that one. Furman, and North Greenville even worse, get no love from the main Gville newspaper.

PaladinFan
July 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM

No, because Furman will be playing. They'd cover it the same if we were playing Nicholls State (also not eligible to win the SoCon title).

PaladinFan
July 26th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Florida State plays at Clemson the day App plays at Furman. You can pretty much bet the local media will be all over that one. Furman, and North Greenville even worse, get no love from the main Gville newspaper.

They can't take up space with Furman football. No where to write about what color shoelaces Dabo Swinney had on at breakfast. It has gotten better in recent years as some Furman grads have actually worked their way up in the Greenville Times. Still, Clemson football sells papers.

Unfortunately, Furman is 30 minutes from one of the largest college football programs in the country. It is what it is. If App State was next door to UNC or GSU was in Winder, they wouldn't get covered much locally either.

OL FU
July 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
They were nice enough to mention with an asterick at the bottom. Thumbs up Pansies!!

To be honest,the depiction is an accurate one. You can't officially be the champ. so why pick you to be.

Not hate, it is just the way it is.

ASUMountaineer
July 29th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Whatever it takes to feel better for FUrman. xlolx

Baldy
July 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
So, you ignored NDSU when they quit on DII? Nice contribution.
Well played, Sir. xlolx

Cleets
July 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM
To be honest,the depiction is an accurate one. You can't officially be the champ. so why pick you to be.

Not hate, it is just the way it is.

It's interesting...
I am curious who's considered "the best team"
as well as who's projected to be the "championship winning team"
and if those two things are different

OL FU
July 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM
It's interesting...

My understanding is that the polls were to predict the order of finish. My understanding is that GSU or ASU are not eligible. Kind of strange that their games count in conference, personally don't care what the poll says or not, but I think the Furman presentation is most accurate according to the rules.

AppChicago
July 29th, 2013, 03:10 PM
My understanding is that the polls were to predict the order of finish. My understanding is that GSU or ASU are not eligible. Kind of strange that their games count in conference, personally don't care what the poll says or not, but I think the Furman presentation is most accurate according to the rules.

So it's a misrepresentation of the actual poll results, but one that makes them MORE accurate, right?

OL FU
July 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
So it's a misrepresentation of the actual poll results, but one that makes them MORE accurate, right? Yes, it is:Dxnodx and that is for both cases. I agree with the Charleston writer. GSU and ASU should have been excluded. not the players, but in the predicted standings, they should have been excluded. The poll is immediately wrong as soon as it was conducted. It can't match the final standings.

PaladinFan
July 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
It's interesting...

Most would probably give the nod to App State and Georgia Southern as "co-best teams."

I can envision a world, however, where neither of those teams finish with the conference's best record. Both were beaten twice in conference last year in games that were nothing close to flukey. They are the two best teams, but they are not head and shoulders the two best teams.

Right now, in my opinion, the difference right now in App/GSU and Samford/Citadel/UTC is mostly mental, it isn't talent. The latter three see themselves as underdogs and trying to earn their way into the conversation, while the former two are expected to be there and play like it.

walliver
July 30th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I have mixed feelings about counting ASU and GSU in the standings, but forced to make a choice I would count those games as tie-breakers
1) Counting ASU and GSU, we could easily end up with a champion finishing at 5-3 in the conference. We could have teams hoping for at-large bids with 4-4 conference records - that looks bad. Yes, those teams could easily end up at 8-4, 7-4 or 7-5(with a FBS loss). With expanded playoffs and ODU, ASU, and GSU out of the picture a 7 win team could make it in.
2) On the other hand, a win over either should count for something more than a win over Elon.

What really matters is how "The Committee" looks at the ASU and GSU games. Will they be considered regular FCS games, or will they be viewed as something else? (neither will actually be playing at FBS level).

eaglessoar20021
July 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Whatever it takes to feel better for FUrman. xlolx
xcoffeex Furman

GlassOnion
July 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
but I think the Furman presentation is most accurate according to the rules.

Yes. But when writing an article about a poll, typically the actual poll would be used as the basis of the article. You don't change the poll, and then write about it. I figure FU would be a little more attentive to proper journalistic practices.

Right now, in my opinion, the difference right now in App/GSU and Samford/Citadel/UTC is mostly mental, it isn't talent.

The difference was injuries, and coaching. Several times in the past few years, App was simply out prepared, and outcoached.

PaladinFan
July 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Yes. But when writing an article about a poll, typically the actual poll would be used as the basis of the article. You don't change the poll, and then write about it. I figure FU would be a little more attentive to proper journalistic practices.

The difference was injuries, and coaching. Several times in the past few years, App was simply out prepared, and outcoached.

I agree with the coaching aspect. Injuries are what they are, every team has to deal with them.

OL FU
July 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM

We do what we want and we are not a newspaper:p:Dxrotatehx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
The SoCon should have carried their initial actions out to the logical end and followed a clear path on how to handle the departing teams. You don't say they can't win the conference and then turn around at the media day and put them as the two best teams. Just not logical at all. It should have been decided how the two teams would be viewed for this season and I think the proper way to account for it would have been to count the games as OOC games as has already been put forth by one reporter. It solves this problem and the two teams games can still be used as tie breakers and the players from those two teams could still be acknowledged as they have been.

They are conference members with a caveat. Not a real big deal but it sure could have been handled a couple of months back and fixed.

pike51
July 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I have mixed feelings about counting ASU and GSU in the standings, but forced to make a choice I would count those games as tie-breakers
1) Counting ASU and GSU, we could easily end up with a champion finishing at 5-3 in the conference. We could have teams hoping for at-large bids with 4-4 conference records - that looks bad. Yes, those teams could easily end up at 8-4, 7-4 or 7-5(with a FBS loss). With expanded playoffs and ODU, ASU, and GSU out of the picture a 7 win team could make it in.
2) On the other hand, a win over either should count for something more than a win over Elon.

What really matters is how "The Committee" looks at the ASU and GSU games. Will they be considered regular FCS games, or will they be viewed as something else? (neither will actually be playing at FBS level).

Hard to count the games against GSU and ASU as tie-breakers when the entire SoCon will be 0'fer against them. Just sayin'