PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville University Stadium Upgrade

Model Citizen
July 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Big improvement to the worst facility in D-I. Do their 2,600 fans NEED this? Probably not.

I would say this is another step toward leaving the Atlantic Sun. Football scholarships will be the next step.

EKU-n-GSU
July 24th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Link to article, pics, etc.?

hebmskebm
July 24th, 2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.news4jax.com/sports/ju-stadium-expansion-to-begin-this-fall/-/475646/21116424/-/ty67vq/-/index.html

Looks like they're building with an eye towards going full scholly in the near future.

dbackjon
July 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Good for them - definitely sounds like they want to upgrade entire program.

EKU-n-GSU
July 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the link. I like the look, and it appears to be scaled properly for current and future potential. As for the 'going scholly' thing, I have a hard time believing they'd like to continue to compete at the FCS level w/o the benefit of scholarship athletes. Kinda hard to start a business w/the plan of not growing it.

UAalum72
July 24th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Looks a lot like Albany's new home side without the elevator tower.

Sly Fox
July 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Charleston Southern, you are now on the clock.

Sandlapper Spike
July 24th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the link. I like the look, and it appears to be scaled properly for current and future potential. As for the 'going scholly' thing, I have a hard time believing they'd like to continue to compete at the FCS level w/o the benefit of scholarship athletes. Kinda hard to start a business w/the plan of not growing it.

Especially when considering Kerwin Bell's quote in the article:

"We are very thankful for the overwhelming generosity made by the loyal supporters in this community who are committed to sustaining a big-time football program here at Jacksonville University."

Big-time, indeed.

---

This also should be a big help to JU's lacrosse programs, incidentally. Might impact them even more than football.

Model Citizen
July 25th, 2013, 09:33 AM
One of coach Bell's charms is his belief that if he's coaching a program in D-I, it's Big Time.

kdinva
July 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM

and I am darn glad the Keydets won't have to go there ever again.........

kdinva
July 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
http://www.news4jax.com/sports/ju-stadium-expansion-to-begin-this-fall/-/475646/21116424/-/ty67vq/-/index.html

Looks like they're building with an eye towards going full scholly in the near future.

xthumbsupx

JUFan
July 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
As an alumni I am happy with the plans.

Milne Field was good for track and lacrosse and .... yeah not football fans.

Kerwin Bell has mentioned scholarships in the past so the thought is there, if not a plan already in place.

The new AD was South Carolina's AD in all but title, so I would think plans are at least being thought out by now.

Bogus Megapardus
July 28th, 2013, 01:26 AM

Perhaps paced by the Georgetown Hoyas.

TheDHC
July 28th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Lookin snazzy Jacksonville. Hope to see more pictures coming soon xrotatehx

marenlee
July 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Might have sparked a little interest for me... Maybe... I have lived in the Jacksonville area for over 8 years now and never once did the thought cross my mind of going to a Dolphin game.

chargeradio
July 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM

I also wonder if JU is on the SoCon's radar - scholarship football might be what it takes to get out of the Atlantic Sun should it disintegrate. The SoCon would sure beat the Summit or America East.

hebmskebm
July 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I think JU is in a great position to (years down the line obvs) become a top tier FCS program.

1. Plethora of in-state talent
2. Relative lack of in-state FCS rivals competing for said talent
2. Money and exposure from playing the regional BCS powers (I think playing UF or FSU could help JU more than it could help, say, WCU because of their location)

Big Dawg
July 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I think JU is in a great position to (years down the line obvs) become a top tier FCS program.

1. Plethora of in-state talent
2. Relative lack of in-state FCS rivals competing for said talent
2. Money and exposure from playing the regional BCS powers (I think playing UF or FSU could help JU more than it could help, say, WCU because of their location)

Ummm...they still have to battle FAMU, BCU, and watch out for Stetson to make a similar move to what JU wants to do

It could make things interesting...might be nice to get a little rivalry with JU going on in the near future

hebmskebm
July 28th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Ummm...they still have to battle FAMU, BCU, and watch out for Stetson to make a similar move to what JU wants to do

It could make things interesting...might be nice to get a little rivalry with JU going on in the near future

That's why I said relative. That's still not a whole lot of teams considering the size and talent pool of FL (and yes I know they have a boatload of FBS teams).

clenz
July 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM
JU will never be more than a third tier, at best, FCS program.

Nice to see upgrades to what is easily the worst football facility in the nation at the college level (Regardless of classification) though

MplsBison
July 28th, 2013, 10:48 PM
FCS isn't worth the effort of dividing into more than two tiers: those who put in the necessary effort and money into the program to be nationally competitive and those that do not.

Glad to see the upgrades!

AppMan
July 28th, 2013, 11:23 PM
One of coach Bell's charms is his belief that if he's coaching a program in D-I, it's Big Time.

Kerwin Bell is an outstanding coach and I have a hard time understanding why nobody has picked him up. The teams he brought to Boone were disciplined, well coached and fundamentally sound. He just didn't have the horses to play with App.

Dane96
July 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I also wonder if JU is on the SoCon's radar - scholarship football might be what it takes to get out of the Atlantic Sun should it disintegrate. The SoCon would sure beat the Summit or America East.

UMMMMM...what?

There is no Summit or America East football league.

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
JU will never be more than a third tier, at best, FCS program.

Nice to see upgrades to what is easily the worst football facility in the nation at the college level (Regardless of classification) though

I love how you only deal in absolutes. Also what is 3rd tier exactly?

Unless they go scholarship and get a decent stadium they aren't going anywhere, but why can't they be at least moderately successful in FCS? They are a decent private school in an attractive area with lots of local talent. Many schools with far less going for them have strong FCS programs.

BluBengal07
July 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
congrats JSU.

Model Citizen
July 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
congrats JSU.

This thread is about the private school in Jacksonville, Florida.

BluBengal07
July 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM
This thread is about the private school in Jacksonville, Florida.

Some reason I thought it was Jacksonville State University. went back and saw the Fla and then it clicked that the bleachers only had JU with a green background. LOL . multitasking... thanks though. the congrats stands.

caribbeanhen
July 29th, 2013, 11:55 AM
The Dolphins upgraded the schedule as well, they travel to Newark for the opener and play Jacksonville State in game 2....

Model Citizen
July 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Kudos to those who made those first two games possible.

However, the Dolphins have the easiest PFL draw for 2013 and 2014. No San Diego. No Dayton. Pencil JU into the next two playoff brackets.