PDA

View Full Version : The Navy pipeline continues for Chattanooga.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 06:06 AM
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/22914678/mocs-add-dt-transfer-from-navy-in-danny-ring?clienttype=generic&smartdevicecgbypass

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM
With the addition of Ring, Chattanooga is now head and shoulders above any other Dline in the country.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 06:16 AM
And you're giving up close to 300 yards rushing per game(I would bet a lot more this year) to us since the return of the option.

You've yet to get a full dose of Dominique Swope as well.

seantaylor
July 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Navy pipeline. Might as well be the Corky pipeline. Navy Prep

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Eh...Ive said this about just about every FBS transfer that has been posted about on here or CS.com: Wait and see. Just because a guy comes from an FBS school (whether its Navy or Iowa or Tulsa or NC State or Alabama or Florida or Ole Miss or Southern Cal or South Carolina or Clemson or wherever), does not mean he is going to instantly come in and be an All-American and instant Buchanan Award winner at the FCS level. He could be good...he could turn out to be a total bust (FBS transfers have done that), but asking someone like chattown to tone down the expectations would be like asking a golden retriever to learn Swahili

Professor Chaos
July 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM
With the addition of Ring, Chattanooga is now head and shoulders above any other Dline in the country.
I assume the only reason you'd think that is because you're usually on your knees when you're around them. Only justification I can see for that kind of comment.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 09:38 AM

xlolx

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM

And yet, since you are a triple option team, 300 yards rushing really isn't that many yards.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Eh...Ive said this about just about every FBS transfer that has been posted about on here or CS.com: Wait and see. Just because a guy comes from an FBS school (whether its Navy or Iowa or Tulsa or NC State or Alabama or Florida or Ole Miss or Southern Cal or South Carolina or Clemson or wherever), does not mean he is going to instantly come in and be an All-American and instant Buchanan Award winner at the FCS level. He could be good...he could turn out to be a total bust (FBS transfers have done that), but asking someone like chattown to tone down the expectations would be like asking a golden retriever to learn Swahili

I'm not sure that he will be a starter. Although he did win the Navy starting job at the end of last year and was going to start this year as a sophomore. Big addition to an already loaded Dline.

dewey
July 24th, 2013, 10:10 AM

LOLx2

Dewey

The Eagle's Cliff
July 24th, 2013, 10:11 AM
You gotta love a Tenn Volunteer fan who spends a lot of time in the off-season (the last three years) talking up UT-Chatty and by the middle of October the Vols and Mocs all already out of contention for even a conference championship.

Exciting this year for the Mocs though because five wins in the SoCon could get the automatic bidxthumbsupx

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
You gotta love a Tenn Volunteer fan who spends a lot of time in the off-season (the last three years) talking up UT-Chatty and by the middle of October the Vols and Mocs all already out of contention for even a conference championship.

Exciting this year for the Mocs though because five wins in the SoCon could get the automatic bidxthumbsupx

You don't need to be worry about me. Tennessee has the consensus number 1 recruiting class in the country, they'll be back in the next few years. Chattanooga on the other hand, is at a championship level this year. They will be better than Georgia Southern, they will be better than Georgia Southern has been for over decade. People need to stop worrying about what I said, what I have fundamentally about our football team has been correct. They've blown a lot of leads and lacked something mentally. This year however, that stuff isn't going to come into play often. These wins are going to be convincing.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
And yet, since you are a triple option team, 300 yards rushing really isn't that many yards.

You've beaten us 4 times ever. I don't think it matters.

Silenoz
July 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You don't need to be worry about me. Tennessee has the consensus number 1 recruiting class in the country, they'll be back in the next few years. Chattanooga on the other hand, is at a championship level this year. They will be better than Georgia Southern, they will be better than Georgia Southern has been for over decade. People need to stop worrying about what I said, what I have fundamentally about our football team has been correct. They've blown a lot of leads and lacked something mentally. This year however, that stuff isn't going to come into play often. These wins are going to be convincing.

So you're going to beat the #1 team in the semi-finals on the road, or something equivalent of that?

I'll take that bet

You remind me of a certain Arkansas fan I know. Every year we hear about how the Hogs are going to win the BCS championship, and every year we get excuses as to why their superior team was fluked out of it

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM

I hate to say it bro...but the mental game will come into play. As I have said before, UTC has not had the mental cajones to step up and take the brass ring and honestly with the kind of pressure that they will be under due to the high expectations with App State and GaSou not eligible for the autobid or a playoff berth, that they may crack and have what we at Liberty call a "WTF game" and end up missing the boat again this year

cmaxwellgsu
July 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Halloween must be a sad, miserable time at the chattown house....

blueballs
July 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Well, that settles that...

For that to come true, Chatty would have to win the conference outright, win in Boone, average over 45 ppg, hold its opponents under 17ppg, have one of their players win the Payton Award, and advance to the national championship game by defeating NDSU at the "Decibel Dome." Chatty's mentally weak players would collectively piss themselves out of fear in that atmosphere under that kind of pressure so we know that ain't gonna happen.

GSU has ran for an average of 350 yards against Chatty the past two meetings, with 372 last year on the road. There's no logical reason to think that number is going to decrease in Paulson this year when both teams have all the same players returning.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM

For that to come true, Chatty would have to win the conference outright, average over 45 ppg, hold its opponents under 17ppg, and advance to the national championship game by defeating NDSU at the "Decibel Dome." Chatty's mentally weak players would collectively piss themselves out of fear in that atmosphere so we know that ain't gonna happen.

GSU has ran for an average of 350 yards against Chatty the past two meetings, with 372 last year on the road. There's no logical reason to think that number is going to decrease in Paulson this year when both teams have all the same players returning.

Haha...I'm going to have to borrow that sometime.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Also...Chatty might get their chance if they limp into the playoffs...won't be in the semis though.

blueballs
July 24th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Please feel free... I wrote it out of respect for your fans.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:14 AM

For that to come true, Chatty would have to win the conference outright, win in Boone, average over 45 ppg, hold its opponents under 17ppg, have one of their players win the Payton Award, and advance to the national championship game by defeating NDSU at the "Decibel Dome." Chatty's mentally weak players would collectively piss themselves out of fear in that atmosphere under that kind of pressure so we know that ain't gonna happen.

Considering the game went to triple overtime and we gave you 2 extra possessions with special teams turnovers, I would have to say chances are those numbers will decrease significantly. You scored 14 points in regulation that didn't come off of Kickoff or punt return fumbles. You offensive line was pushed around the majority of the night. Your ball carriers and some incredible individual performances but it just wasn't there in the second half. You didn't get a 1st down in the 2nd half until after we muffed a punt in the 4th quarter. You were poised to turn a double digit lead at the half into a double digit loss, until we muffed the punt and handed you all of the momentum back when we were dominating you. There was nothing physically your incredible running game or defense did to win the game, it was us muffing the punt. You are not a dominant team over us like you wish to believe, it just isn't there.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Please feel free... I wrote it out of respect for your fans.

I know xthumbsupx I thought it was funny.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:17 AM
BTW, I watched the Georgia Southern/NDSU game, and I have to say, our performance against Georgia Southern was better from both a physical and Xs and Os standpoint. We actually got stops. I'm not sure how many times NDSU actually stopped Georgia Southern it was amazing how many long, sustained drives that Georgia Southern had in that game against this supposedly incredible defense. NDSU needed Georgia Southern to shoot themselves in the foot just like Georgia Southern needed us to shoot ourselves in the foot.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Considering the game went to triple overtime and we gave you 2 extra possessions with special teams turnovers, I would have to say chances are those numbers will decrease significantly. You scored 14 points in regulation that didn't come off of Kickoff or punt return fumbles. You offensive line was pushed around the majority of the night. Your ball carriers and some incredible individual performances but it just wasn't there in the second half. You didn't get a 1st down in the 2nd half until after we muffed a punt in the 4th quarter. You were poised to turn a double digit lead at the half into a double digit loss, until we muffed the punt and handed you all of the momentum back when we were dominating you. There was nothing physically your incredible running game or defense did to win the game, it was us muffing the punt. You are not a dominant team over us like you wish to believe, it just isn't there.

This in bold is why GaSou is where they are at and UTC wishes they were there...the teams with sound mental acuity don't just hand all the momentum back to the other team...they pick themselves back up and take the momentum right back. Until UTC shows they can do that, they are going to get passed by in the SoCon and fans like yourself will be left to watch on TV and opine about how many "moral victories" you had

Professor Chaos
July 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM
BTW, I watched the Georgia Southern/NDSU game, and I have to say, our performance against Georgia Southern was better from both a physical and Xs and Os standpoint. We actually got stops. I'm not sure how many times NDSU actually stopped Georgia Southern it was amazing how many long, sustained drives that Georgia Southern had in that game against this supposedly incredible defense. NDSU needed Georgia Southern to shoot themselves in the foot just like Georgia Southern needed us to shoot ourselves in the foot.
I'm sure your incredibly objective eye is much more telling about the quality of a football team than the scoreboard is. At least you'll always have the best 6-5 team in the nation.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM
This in bold is why GaSou is where they are at and UTC wishes they were there...the teams with sound mental acuity don't just hand all the momentum back to the other team...they pick themselves back up and take the momentum right back. Until UTC shows they can do that, they are going to get passed by in the SoCon and fans like yourself will be left to watch on TV and opine about how many "moral victories" you had

Like Georgia Southern did? BTW, they didn't. They were dead in the water until we gave it to them. Please stop talking about the Southern Conference until you actually know what you are talking about. You really need to stop throwing out false information that most of us know is incorrect off of the top of your head.

Go Green
July 24th, 2013, 11:30 AM

A lot of times, these FBS transfers are guys that probably should have gone FCS in the first place.

The Ivy has seen several of such transfers in recent years. Decent players, contributors--sure. Dominators--more rare.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
A lot of times, these FBS transfers are guys that probably should have gone FCS in the first place.

The Ivy has seen several of such transfers in recent years. Decent players, contributors--sure. Dominators--more rare.

But that is clearly not the case in this situation considering he won the starting job as a freshman and was at the top of the depth chart heading into his sophomore year.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I agree...my statement was more to the people (like chattown most of the time) who have these pie in the sky "ZOMG HE WILL BE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE COUNTRY AND LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND!!!" kind of overly high expectations just because a gut comes in that has a FBS school name attached to him

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 11:35 AM

And the Titans suck

gumby013
July 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Especially at Navy and the other service academies. They have many more obstacles to overcome in recruiting to go after the good FBS players. The service commitment scares a lot of players off.

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM
lacked something mentally.

Just like you.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
They run a 3-4 defense. Meaning there is only 1 DT on the field and this guy won the starting job during his freshman year. Keep talking nonsense though. He is probably pretty damn good. I'm actually starting to think he is going to beat out Chris Mayes for the 2nd DT sport. Regardless it's going to be an awesome 3 man rotation along with Derrick Lott. All transfers as well. Damn, Russ Huesman knows defensive talent.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM
And just like I expected...here come the "ZOMG HE WILL LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND (even though we have one win on the road in the history of our series with Georgia Southern and have won more than six games twice since the first Reagan administration) AND WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AND MAKE US THE GREATEST TEAM EVARRRRRRRRRRR!!!" expectations...

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM
And just like I expected...here come the "ZOMG HE WILL LEAD US TO THE PROMISED LAND (even though we have one win on the road in the history of our series with Georgia Southern and have won more than six games twice since the first Reagan administration) AND WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AND MAKE US THE GREATEST TEAM EVARRRRRRRRRRR!!!" expectations...

Again, another empty meaningless post with no legitimate content whatsoever. You should stick to that because when you do try to bring facts, they are always wrong.

cmaxwellgsu
July 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Like Georgia Southern did? BTW, they didn't. They were dead in the water until we gave it to them. Please stop talking about the Southern Conference until you actually know what you are talking about. You really need to stop throwing out false information that most of us know is incorrect off of the top of your head.

22-4. What else does he need?

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 12:09 PM

Probably needs a hug that he didn't get as a child.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 12:16 PM

He could start by actually getting that statistic correct.

Mountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen "Navy" and "pipeline" in the same sentence. Bravo. xlolx

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen "Navy" and "pipeline" in the same sentence. Bravo. xlolx

Mountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM

For realsies.

http://i.imgur.com/iarsh.jpg

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM
You want facts...here you go...UTC's record post-1983 (the first Reagan Administration):

Bill Oliver
7-4
5-2 (3rd)
Game Captians
Buddy Nix
6-5
5-1 (1st)
Artis Edwards, Bob Standifer
Buddy Nix
6-5
5-2 (3rd)
Brent Johnson, Glen Richardson
Buddy Nix
4-7
2-4 (6th)
Tim Couch, Spanky Thomas
Buddy Nix
6-5
4-3 (T3rd)
Steve Colwell, Zach Ervin
Buddy Nix
4-7
3-3 (5th)
Tony Bowick, Travis McNeal
Buddy Nix
3-7-1
2-4-1 (5th)
Ricky Bray, Junior Jackson
Buddy Nix
6-5
4-2 (3rd)
Derrick McLendon, Troy Boeck
Buddy Nix
7-4
4-3 (3rd)
Pumpy Tudors
Jackie Washington, Mohammed Shamsid-Deen
Buddy Nix
2-9
0-7 (8th)
Game Captains
Tommy West
4-7
2-6 (8th)
Jerry Ellison, Chris Jones
Buddy Green
3-8
2-6 (8th)
Kenyon Earl, Kurt Gielink
DeMarko Kemp
Buddy Green
4-7
2-6 (T7th)
Jeff Peters, Tobe Taylor
Josh Siefken
Buddy Green
3-8
2-6 (T6th)
Jeff Peters, Ron Faugue
Stefan Alston, Tyrone Coleman
Buddy Green
7-4
4-4 (6th)
Keith Blanks
Tyrone Coleman, Ron Faugue, Brian Hampton
Buddy Green
5-6
4-4 (T5th)
Brent Cates
Brian Hampton, Mark Hill, Kenny Sanders
Buddy Green
5-6
3-5 (6th)
Damon Floyd
Stefpon Hawkins, Jimmy Lindsey, Ioelu Tafiti
Donnie Kirkpatrick
5-6
3-5 (T6th)
Billy Hutchins
Chris Sanders, Brent Tinker
Donnie Kirkpatrick
3-8
1-7 (8th)
Cody Goodin
Charles McNeill, Tyler Unzicker, Geep Wade
Donnie Kirkpatrick
2-10
2-6 (T7th)
Heath Adams, Josh Cain
Emmanuel DeWalt, Ryan McCann
Rodney Allison
3-9
3-5 (T6th)
James Clark, Chris Cook
Jason Jackson, Blake Kirkland
Rodney Allison
2-9
2-5 (T5th)
Josh Goodin, Tim Powers
Rodney Allison
6-5
3-4 (T5th)
Troy Blackwell
Matt Lopez, Bryan Welch
Rodney Allison
3-8
2-5 (T5th)
Matt Lopez, Edward New,
Bryan Welch
Rodney Allison
2-9
2-5 (7th)
Chris Johnson
Antonio Miller, Jonathan Wright
Rodney Allison
1-11
0-8 (9th)
Neil Brown, William Giles
Russ Huesman
6-5
4-4 (4th)
Jare Gault, B.J. Taylor
Steven Smiglesky, Clint Woods
Russ Huesman
6-5
5-3 (3rd)
B.J. Coleman
Chris Harr, Buster Skrine
Russ Huesman
5-6
3-6 (T6th)
B.J. Coleman
Ryan Consiglio, Chris Lewis-Harris, Jordan Tippi

Over the last 28 seasons since that 1983 team (which didnt even make the playoffs), there have been five different US Presidents, 17 different I-AA/FCS National Champions (including four from the SoCon), 27 different teams (including those 17) play for the national championship, and last but not least...two seasons where UTC has won more than 6 games (1991 and 1997).

Oh and I think he actualy is correct about the UTC-GaSou series according to our friends at the College Football Data Warehouse (link provided because itd be tough to decipher without the formatting and so you can't explain away the fact that youre the incorrect one): http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/tennessee_chattanooga/opponents_records.php?teamid=1270

Now there are facts

ASUMountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Just like you.

xoutofrepx

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM

I think he needs some more 22 and 4.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
You want facts...here you go...UTC's record post-1983 (the first Reagan Administration):

Bill Oliver
7-4
5-2 (3rd)
Game Captians
Buddy Nix
6-5
5-1 (1st)
Artis Edwards, Bob Standifer
Buddy Nix
6-5
5-2 (3rd)
Brent Johnson, Glen Richardson
Buddy Nix
4-7
2-4 (6th)
Tim Couch, Spanky Thomas
Buddy Nix
6-5
4-3 (T3rd)
Steve Colwell, Zach Ervin
Buddy Nix
4-7
3-3 (5th)
Tony Bowick, Travis McNeal
Buddy Nix
3-7-1
2-4-1 (5th)
Ricky Bray, Junior Jackson
Buddy Nix
6-5
4-2 (3rd)
Derrick McLendon, Troy Boeck
Buddy Nix
7-4
4-3 (3rd)
Pumpy Tudors
Jackie Washington, Mohammed Shamsid-Deen
Buddy Nix
2-9
0-7 (8th)
Game Captains
Tommy West
4-7
2-6 (8th)
Jerry Ellison, Chris Jones
Buddy Green
3-8
2-6 (8th)
Kenyon Earl, Kurt Gielink
DeMarko Kemp
Buddy Green
4-7
2-6 (T7th)
Jeff Peters, Tobe Taylor
Josh Siefken
Buddy Green
3-8
2-6 (T6th)
Jeff Peters, Ron Faugue
Stefan Alston, Tyrone Coleman
Buddy Green
7-4
4-4 (6th)
Keith Blanks
Tyrone Coleman, Ron Faugue, Brian Hampton
Buddy Green
5-6
4-4 (T5th)
Brent Cates
Brian Hampton, Mark Hill, Kenny Sanders
Buddy Green
5-6
3-5 (6th)
Damon Floyd
Stefpon Hawkins, Jimmy Lindsey, Ioelu Tafiti
Donnie Kirkpatrick
5-6
3-5 (T6th)
Billy Hutchins
Chris Sanders, Brent Tinker
Donnie Kirkpatrick
3-8
1-7 (8th)
Cody Goodin
Charles McNeill, Tyler Unzicker, Geep Wade
Donnie Kirkpatrick
2-10
2-6 (T7th)
Heath Adams, Josh Cain
Emmanuel DeWalt, Ryan McCann
Rodney Allison
3-9
3-5 (T6th)
James Clark, Chris Cook
Jason Jackson, Blake Kirkland
Rodney Allison
2-9
2-5 (T5th)
Josh Goodin, Tim Powers
Rodney Allison
6-5
3-4 (T5th)
Troy Blackwell
Matt Lopez, Bryan Welch
Rodney Allison
3-8
2-5 (T5th)
Matt Lopez, Edward New,
Bryan Welch
Rodney Allison
2-9
2-5 (7th)
Chris Johnson
Antonio Miller, Jonathan Wright
Rodney Allison
1-11
0-8 (9th)
Neil Brown, William Giles
Russ Huesman
6-5
4-4 (4th)
Jare Gault, B.J. Taylor
Steven Smiglesky, Clint Woods
Russ Huesman
6-5
5-3 (3rd)
B.J. Coleman
Chris Harr, Buster Skrine
Russ Huesman
5-6
3-6 (T6th)
B.J. Coleman
Ryan Consiglio, Chris Lewis-Harris, Jordan Tippi

Over the last 29 seasons, there have been five different US Presidents, 17 different I-AA/FCS National Champions (including four from the SoCon), 27 different teams (including those 17) play for the national championship, and last but not least...two seasons where UTC has won more than 6 games (1991 and 1997).

Oh and I think he actualy is correct about the UTC-GaSou series according to our friends at the College Football Data Warehouse (link provided because itd be tough to decipher without the formatting and so you can't explain away the fact that youre the incorrect one): http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/tennessee_chattanooga/opponents_records.php?teamid=1270

Now there are facts

Lol, try again idiot. YOU were wrong when you attempted that stat. YOU were who we were talking about slow one. Unless they decide to disqualify teams for their performance over the last "29 years" IT DOES NOT MATTER.

klak
July 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Hey, since I assume you have watched a replay of the GSU-UTC game recently, any idea where I can get a copy of it? I need it for my collection.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Which website named Tennessee the best recruiting class in the country? I missed that one.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Lol, try again idiot. YOU were wrong when you attempted that stat. YOU were who we were talking about slow one. Unless they decide to disqualify teams for their performance over the last "29 years" IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Look again...I amended my statement after noticing my error (which you missed apparently). My point is, youre crowing an awful lot about a team that, to be frank, over the last four decades, with some outliers, has proven to be largely mediocre and of late, has not shown the mental toughness that a championship team would require. Now they have a chance to prove a lot of people wrong this year, but they have a LOT of history working against them

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Which website named Tennessee the best recruiting class in the country? I missed that one.

I think all of them so far, except maybe ESPN. You should stick to what you know..... wait my bad. Why don't you scout this guy and tell us how bad he is?

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Look again...I amended my statement after noticing my error (which you missed apparently). My point is, youre crowing an awful lot about a team that, to be frank, over the last four decades, with some outliers, has proven to be largely mediocre and of late, has not shown the mental toughness that a championship team would require. Now they have a chance to prove a lot of people wrong this year, but they have a LOT of history working against them

History working against them? Damn History!! Leave us alone!!

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM
History working against them? Damn History!! Leave us alone!!

22-4

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
22-4

History, to my knowledge, isn't a living thing capable of work.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 01:20 PM

But you're the one that started the history lesson with your 3 out of 7.

So the book is closed on history, and you're still 4-22 against us.

cmaxwellgsu
July 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Apparently, neither is Mocs football......

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 01:31 PM
But you're the one that started the history lesson with your 3 out of 7.

So the book is closed on history, and you're still 4-22 against us.

You guys probably had a better team than us about 22 of the last 26 years. Unfortunately you don't this year. See how this works.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Russ Huesman the mostest awesomest coach ever -

2009 6-5 (4-4)

2010 6-5 (5-3)

2011 5-6 (3-5)

2012 6-5 (5-3)

Total 23-21 (17-15)

VS App St., GSU, Wofford (2-10)

I can see where a Mocs fan would get false hope though!

The Vols aren't much better in the SEC going 9-23 over the same time period with Kentucky and Vanderbilt accounting for 6 of the wins.

Just think how much more UT-Knoxville and UT-Chattanooga would suck if they didn't raid Georgia to get some decent playersxrotatehx

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Also, I did not say slow, I said incorrect. You can be quite mentally sharp and get things wrong from time to time (as I did above before correcting myself). In the 28 seasons that followed that 1983 squad (which as I said, missed the playoffs), only twice has UTC won more than 6 games, 1991 (First Clinton administration for historical context) and 1997 (Second Clinton administration). Over those subsequent seasons (i.e. not including 1983), UTC has won 6 games 8 times, 5 games 4 times, 4 games 4 times, 3 games 6 times, 2 games 4 times and 1 game 1 time(the 3-7-1 season skewed my statistical analysis). Point being, UTC has not shown they can get "over the hump" mentally in the past.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Russ Huesman the mostest awesomest coach ever -

2009 6-5 (4-4)

2010 6-5 (5-3)

2011 5-6 (3-5)

2012 6-5 (5-3)

Total 23-21 (17-15)

VS App St., GSU, Wofford (2-10)

I can see where a Mocs fan would get false hope though!

The Vols aren't much better in the SEC going 9-23 over the same time period with Kentucky and Vanderbilt accounting for 6 of the wins.

Just think how much more UT-Knoxville and UT-Chattanooga would suck if they didn't raid Georgia to get some decent playersxrotatehx

To contrast, the Monken era:

2010: 10-5 (5-3)

2011: 11-3 (7-1)

2012: 10-4 (6-2)

Against App, UTC, Wofford (6-4)

So when does UTC start doing better than us?

The Eagle's Cliff
July 24th, 2013, 01:51 PM
So when does UTC start doing better than us?

In 2014 when they don't play us anymore

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I mention history simply because to put it simply, coaches want to make their own history, but in order to do that, they have to understand what came before. Huesman Im sure is aware of the lack of success that UTC has had against GaSou over the years and he would want to rewrite said history for himself (1-3 record in the last 4, 0-2 in Statesboro). To use an example involving my own school, Liberty plays Coastal Carolina this year. in 5 meetings in Lynchburg, Coastal is 1-4, including getting thumped the last three trips. Joe Moglia, the second year coach down in Conway, would be remiss to simply ignore that lack of success by the Chants up here on the mountain, but at the same time, he doesnt want them to build their entire mental state around just beating Liberty in Lynchburg. Would it help? certainly.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I mention history simply because to put it simply, coaches want to make their own history, but in order to do that, they have to understand what came before. Huesman Im sure is aware of the lack of success that UTC has had against GaSou over the years and he would want to rewrite said history for himself (1-3 record in the last 4, 0-2 in Statesboro). To use an example involving my own school, Liberty plays Coastal Carolina this year. in 5 meetings in Lynchburg, Coastal is 1-4, including getting thumped the last three trips. Joe Moglia, the second year coach down in Conway, would be remiss to simply ignore that lack of success by the Chants up here on the mountain, but at the same time, he doesnt want them to build their entire mental state around just beating Liberty in Lynchburg. Would it help? certainly.

You sure that dude isn't more concerned with counting his money?

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM
He may well be...lol...but I use CCU because of their lack of success winning in Lynchburg and how history, though it shouldnt play a primary role, should at least be a consideration, especially with a team that has minimal success against an opponent (like UTC's 4-22 record against GaSou, or Virginia's 8-37-1 record against Clemson)

Silenoz
July 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
So to sum up this thread:

- Chatty gets an awesome "starter" who will anchor the best DL in the country
- This will help them be a better team than either of the two recent semi-finalist GSU teams (which both lost @NDSU during one of the most dominant runs in FCS history) even though Chatty historically is incapable of getting anywhere near double-digit wins, much less multiple playoff wins
- Chatty > GSU last year (bad luck notwithstanding)
- GSU > NDSU in their game last year (bad luck notwithstanding)
- Therefore, Chatty > NDSU and thus the true national champions

Did I miss anything?

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I think that about sums it up...lol

cmaxwellgsu
July 24th, 2013, 03:44 PM

- This will help them be a better team than either of the two recent semi-finalist GSU teams (which both lost @NDSU during one of the most dominant runs in FCS history) even though Chatty historically is incapable of getting anywhere near double-digit wins, much less multiple playoff wins

Did I miss anything?

You have successfully graphed out chattown logic!

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Did I miss anything?

Oh come on now....clearly he is looking towards this next season. Last year's champs must have lost a lot to graduation right? Clearly it is Chatty's year to dominate and have the best team in the universe.....wait, last year's natty champs bring back every single D starter but 1... oops

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I mean, cool. UTC has perhaps the SoCon's best defense, and now they added some more depth.

Defense, though, is not UTC's problem. Look at the numbers last season. UTC was among the SoCon's worst offenses. They were particularly dreadful in the running game and just mediocre in everything else.

Besides, if you go back through the history of transfers from the FBS to the SoCon, you could count the number of "impact players" (that is, guys that truly made a difference in elevating their team) on one hand. Odds are this guy will just be another warm body to run out there from time to time.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I mean, cool. UTC has perhaps the SoCon's best defense, and now they added some more depth.

Defense, though, is not UTC's problem. Look at the numbers last season. UTC was among the SoCon's worst offenses. They were particularly dreadful in the running game and just mediocre in everything else.

Besides, if you go back through the history of transfers from the FBS to the SoCon, you could count the number of "impact players" (that is, guys that truly made a difference in elevating their team) on one hand. Odds are this guy will just be another warm body to run out there from time to time.

Same tune different song. Same reason people have such a hard time accepting that Chattanooga has a great team this year. You don't just look at the historic teams or the historic transfers. You look at the individual if you want to make an educated prediction. This guy earned Navy's starting NT(3-4 defense, 1 nose tackle) as a freshman. Chances are, he isn't just going to be another warm. None of Russ Huesman's Dline transfers have been warm bodies. They have all been immediate impact. All 4. This guy will be no different. This is a huge pickup, not just for this year, but he has 3 years remaining. Chattanooga's Dline is going to be the best in the SOCON again next year, and this guy solidifies it.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 05:10 PM
You actually won't know how good an FBS transfer is (whether they were a starter at their previous school or earned the job or not) until they actually get on the field at their new destination and line up their first game. As I said earlier, he could be good, he could be a total bust, we can't say for sure right now. We all can speculate but that's about it until the games start

GlassOnion
July 24th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Same tune different song. Same reason people have such a hard time accepting that Chattanooga has a great team this year. You don't just look at the historic teams or the historic transfers. You look at the individual if you want to make an educated prediction. This guy earned Navy's starting NT(3-4 defense, 1 nose tackle) as a freshman. Chances are, he isn't just going to be another warm. None of Russ Huesman's Dline transfers have been warm bodies. They have all been immediate impact. All 4. This guy will be no different. This is a huge pickup, not just for this year, but he has 3 years remaining. Chattanooga's Dline is going to be the best in the SOCON again next year, and this guy solidifies it.

Navy gave up 408 yards a game last year, and were 94th in the country in rushing D. Not exactly a banner year for them.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Not to mention if your D-line is good but you don't get step up contributions from the other 7 guys on the field, youre still gonna get beat just about every time.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Navy gave up 408 yards a game last year, and were 94th in the country in rushing D. Not exactly a banner year for them.

I didn't say he was going to be all-world. Chances are, if he earned the starting job as a freshman at navy, he will be a pretty good player for us over the next 3 years. Or for that matter, anyone at this level. They aren't Army, they aren't some crappy program. They win 2/3 of their games under that Hawaiian against at least a decent schedule.

EKU-n-GSU
July 24th, 2013, 05:30 PM

For the love of Christ GO do not try to confuse the argument with facts. Next thing he'll spout out is that this guy's winning the starting NT spot late in the season stemmed the gusher and kept them from being 125th in rushing D. Glad to know that chattown was following this guy's career before even he decided to transfer.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Not to mention if your D-line is good but you don't get step up contributions from the other 7 guys on the field, youre still gonna get beat just about every time.

Chattanooga's defense is loaded with proven experience top-to-bottom, back-to-front. Dline is the strong suit, Followed closely by the secondary, LBs are up there as well.

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
They run a 3-4 defense. Meaning there is only 1 DT on the field and this guy won the starting job during his freshman year. Keep talking nonsense though. He is probably pretty damn good.

So you assume he is probably pretty good because he started the last two games of the year at Navy but have you ever actually seen him play?

Worth noting that one of those games was their bowl game against Arizona State when they gave up 62 points, 648 yards of offense and 380 on the ground with ASU running right at him. The other was against a 2-10 Army squad that was manhandled by the Big South runner-up. They also rushed for 370, which was 100 more than they got against Stony Brook.

chattownmocs
July 24th, 2013, 06:18 PM
So you assume he is probably pretty good because he started the last two games of the year at Navy but have you ever actually seen him play?

Worth noting that one of those games was their bowl game against Arizona State when they gave up 62 points, 648 yards of offense and 380 on the ground with ASU running right at him. The other was against a 2-10 Army squad that was manhandled by the Big South runner-up. They also rushed for 370, which was 100 more than they got against Stony Brook.

Yes, absolutely, as any reasonable person would. On top of that, I assume the fact that Russ Huesman is taking him means he is pretty good. I don't think Arizona State ran right at anyone. I doubt you watched the game anyway, again, not that it matters.

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM

xoutofrepx

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Yes, absolutely, as any reasonable person would. On top of that, I assume the fact that Russ Huesman is taking him means he is pretty good. I don't think Arizona State ran right at anyone. I doubt you watched the game anyway, again, not that it matters.
xlolx

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM

Which games did you watch him play and what was it that you liked about his skill set?

I did watch their bowl game until it got really out of hand and yes, they scored multiple touchdowns on runs right up the gut. Highlights are easy to find if you're interested.

You just talked about how important the nose tackle is in a 3-4 alignment that only plays one tackle. The fact that his team surrendered 375 yards per game on the ground and 533 yards of offense in the two games he started to end the season is not insignificant. The NT is not doing their job when teams are running all over you like that.

gumby013
July 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guuat9b26Po

gumby013
July 24th, 2013, 07:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLvCdXQdpMA

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2013, 08:02 PM

My point is another d-lineman doesn't make UTC a great team when their biggest issue is scoring points. Unless this guy lines up in the backfield next to the quarterback, he isn't going to make them that much better.

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM
My point is another d-lineman doesn't make UTC a great team when their biggest issue is scoring points. Unless this guy lines up in the backfield next to the quarterback, he isn't going to make them that much better.

It is akin to App picking up another WR or GSU picking up another RB. More depth is great, even at a position of strength but it does nothing to address any weaknesses, of which they have several on the other side of the ball.

chattownmocs
July 25th, 2013, 07:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfGqMPUl1k

chattownmocs
July 25th, 2013, 07:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPRQPnx84gk

gomocs82
July 25th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Long thread about a transfer. A few thoughts of a UTC who is not a football expert but would love to see the Mocs in the playoffs and win the SoCon.

1. What UTC is getting is depth on the DL. I am sure he will be in the rotation. DL is very solid. Defense is solid overall.

2. Offense has to be able to get yards from RBs in the running game. Passing attack is adequate

3. With the arrival of Huesman, extra money arrived in the program that had not been there during the Allison years.

4. Mocs are a vastly better team than under Allison.

5. UTC should make the playoffs..with ASU and GSU not in conference 1st or 2nd in league...if not Huesman will be on the hot seat. He has a 6 year contract this is year 5 ....even with the major problems of the first 2 years, this is his team and has 3 full years of recruiting with 63 scholarships, full practice time, etc ...he came with a 6 year contract...I don't remember an extension..playoffs gets him one..no playoffs I doubt he gets it

6. Tennessee does have a very good list of commitments...they have to qualify, and arrive. What will happen to commits if Vols go 4-8?

7. 2-10...2-10....2-10....2-10...That is the Mocs burden under Huesman...Have to get some Ws vs GSU, ASU and WC...of course we won't to ASU and GSU in the near future after this year! Unfortunately, Mocs are on the road vs GSU and ASU....

8. Are you allowed to have WTF games at Liberty? I thought OMG or Holy Cow maybe but not WTF.

mountaineer in Cane Land
July 25th, 2013, 08:26 PM
what ever we think about Chatt, with App and GS unable to win the SC, and Woof, probably rebuilding, this is Chatt, Cit and Samfords greatest chance to make the playoffs. These are 3 really good teams (atleast on paper). Chat has not excuses, the SC and a playoff spot is practually being handed to them. If they cant get it done this year, then the AD should give serious consideration to firing Huesman. My observation about Huesman is he can really recruit, great defensive mind, but totally has underachieved as a head coach, if he cant get it done this year, then I suspect he will never be a good head coach. Its now or never for Chatt.

chattownmocs
July 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmny3iEP7tc

chattownmocs
July 26th, 2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvDiP6aGUU

chattownmocs
July 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95Xm3q8olo

Vitojr130
July 27th, 2013, 12:37 AM

If this was the case, you would have won... xlolx But, you didn't. xlmaox

chattownmocs
July 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM
If this was the case, you would have won... xlolx But, you didn't. xlmaox

Indiana State> NDSU

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Indiana State> NDSU

This statement is either one of two things, both fallacies according to some cursory research: Incomplete comparison (because there is not enough information to make such a comparative notion due to not only the fact that you have not mentioned why you believe Indiana State is better than NDSU, but there is a limited sample size based on only 5 meetings between the two as of this past season) or "Red herring" with the introduction of Indiana State>NDSU designed to distract away from the original (and though not discredited, but certainly well challenged) premise.

chattownmocs
July 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM
This statement is either one of two things, both fallacies according to some cursory research: Incomplete comparison (because there is not enough information to make such a comparative notion due to not only the fact that you have not mentioned why you believe Indiana State is better than NDSU, but there is a limited sample size based on only 5 meetings between the two as of this past season) or "Red herring" with the introduction of Indiana State>NDSU designed to distract away from the original (and though not discredited, but certainly well challenged) premise.

Shut up. His argument in a nutshell, was that the best team always wins. Which is obviously moronic as team A>B>C>A all the time, therefore disproving that theory. See, what I did was throw his own logic in his face.

bjtheflamesfan
July 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
That is not necessarily true. Just because Team A outscores Team B or Team B outscores Team C or Team C outscores Team A does not necessarily mean that the team is the "best team". As you have often stated in regard to losses by UTC, if not for some event (an ill timed turnover, a key stop by the opposing defense, etc.) that went against UTC, UTC certainly would have won the game (which is based in fallacy of causal oversimplification), although UTC was clearly the "best team" on that day if not for said event or events occurring (which would be a cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy). Additionally, your classifying his argument as moronic is based in what would be called divine fallacy (or fallacy of appeal to common sense) with a touch of ad hominem as well.