PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Hartsell's SoCon Preview

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
From the Post and Courier:

http://blog.postandcourier.com/bulldog-bites/2013/07/23/ready-socon-media-day/

walliver
July 23rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Jeff Hartsell is one of the few reporters who seems to have a grasp of the whole conference, not just the team he covers.

I think he has the Terriers ranked too low, but he did include a disclaimer:D.

bjtheflamesfan
July 23rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
paging Chattown crowing about his Mocs destroying everyone else in the SoCon...

CID1990
July 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
Jeff is very well versed on the SoCon and FCS football in general. He's a great asset to us in Charleston. He also provides some color commentary in the radio shows.

blueballs
July 23rd, 2013, 09:35 PM
I'd swap GSU and App because they play in Boone but other than that I think he did a nice job.

seantaylor
July 24th, 2013, 03:57 AM
I'd swap GSU and App because they play in Boone but other than that I think he did a nice job.

We have more talent than Appy. Appy gets run every year at home in the first round. I like the pick.

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 06:34 AM
We have more talent than Appy. Appy gets run every year at home in the first round. I like the pick.

We also beat Georgia Southern every year, since apparently 2011-12 is now every year.

seantaylor
July 24th, 2013, 06:44 AM
We also beat Georgia Southern every year, since apparently 2011-12 is now every year.

Does that work out for you well when it matters?

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Does that work out for you well when it matters?

Winning 2 straight, 4 of 5 and 6 of 8 against Georgia Southern works out great for me.

The last couple years in the playoffs are a different story but completely irrelevant to this discussion. You have heard the news that both of us are ineligible, yes?

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 07:34 AM

****ing Brian Quick and ****ing kickers.

ASUMountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Winning 2 straight, 4 of 5 and 6 of 8 against Georgia Southern works out great for me.

The last couple years in the playoffs are a different story but completely irrelevant to this discussion. You have heard the news that both of us are ineligible, yes?

Easy with him, Mike. He's GSU's less-intelligent version of chattownmocs.

seantaylor
July 24th, 2013, 07:44 AM

So you are content about getting worked at home every year in the playoffs?

Saint3333
July 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
playoffs?

Smitty
July 24th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I wish he gave more of an opinion on WCU but I guess nothing news worthy yet...

AppAlum2003
July 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
So you are content about getting worked at home every year in the playoffs?

...aaaaannnddd ASU won the same amount of championship trophies as GSU did last year.

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 08:37 AM
We have more talent than Appy.

Asinine. How do you figure, chattown?

CID1990
July 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM

The WCU pick was actually one that I disagreed with. I think you guys definitely finish higher than Elon, and I think you guys also will take a game from someone unexpected. Just hope it ain't us.

catamount man
July 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM

We'll beat Elon in Cullowhee on 0ct 26. Excited about WCU's future after 2013. GO CATS!

appvette
July 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
****ing Brian Quick and ****ing kickers.

That was Sean Price last year.

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Was that the guy that was given a touchdown after stepping out of bounds?

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 11:12 AM

That was the guy who scored a touchdown without stepping out of bounds:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A9MRs_ACEAE5vmQ.jpg

blueballs
July 24th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Yep, and the same guy that caught that ball on the sideline on third and forever from inside their 5 when the safety on that side of the field was nowhere to be found which resulted in a horrible mismatch for the corner and completely flipped the field and cost GSU big time.

He's also the same guy who somehow managed to get isolated in open field against GSU's OLB on the play where he supposedly stepped out.

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Refs! Refs! Waa! Waa

You boys are pathetic. I wonder how the refs will lose the game for you this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM
With Swope or a kicking game we win that game even with the worst officiating crew in the SoCon.

Congrats to App. for their first ever win over a playoff GSU team in Paulson Stadium. Up until last year the best team they beat in Statesboro was a 6-5 team. xlolx

appvette
July 24th, 2013, 11:54 AM
With Swope or a kicking game we win that game even with the worst officiating crew in the SoCon.

Congrats to App. for their first ever win over a playoff GSU team in Paulson Stadium. Up until last year the best team they beat in Statesboro was a 6-5 team. xlolx

If we had had a better defense you wouldn't have even been in the game.

SpiritCymbal
July 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM

I believe he's referring to the game winning TD catch 2 years ago in Boone where Quick was out of bounds. Plus the mysterious non-safety call last year in Statesboro.

At least starting in 2014, if anything like this happens again, we'll have the option of replay to take the guess work out of it.

Mountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
You guys. xrolleyesx

http://i.imgur.com/XHhm05L.jpg

Apphole
July 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Did Erk bitch about refs after every single loss or is that a new Stink thing?

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Did Erk bitch about refs after every single loss or is that a new Stink thing?

Erk didnt bitch much about anything. But then he didnt loose many. It really wasnt til ERK , PJ, and 3 back to back championships that the socon refs started wearing us out.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM

My statement explains both years.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Erk didnt bitch much about anything. But then he didnt loose many. It really wasnt til ERK , PJ, and 3 back to back championships that the socon refs started wearing us out.

GSU and App both have had some awful calls against them in the last decade. Refs have shown blatant favoritism toward other teams when facing both of them the last several years at times. Not all the time but at least a couple times a game it seems like they make some calls that cause my to scratch my head.

citdog
July 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
GSU and App both have had some awful calls against them in the last decade. Refs have shown blatant favoritism toward other teams when facing both of them the last several years at times. Not all the time but at least a couple times a game it seems like they make some calls that cause my to scratch my head.

dude the above is TOTAL HORSE****. You two groups of mouth breathing, clayeating, south ga and mountain white trash are the whiniest group of old ladies south of lexington, va. Y'all GET all the close calls and COMPLAIN when you don't get those that are NOT even close.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I think at least some of the officiating crews from the late 90s/early 00s definitely had it in for GSU. I always loved it that we got non-conference officials in playoff games because the officiating always seemed more balanced.

The two main examples I can think of are the 2000 App. State game and the 1999 Furman game. The former had one of the worst pass interference calls I've ever seen that kept a late game drive alive for ASU, and the latter is legendary as far as incompetent officiating.

And BTW, if anyone thinks that is sore-loserism, we won both of those games.

eaglewraith
July 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I think at least some of the officiating crews from the late 90s/early 00s definitely had it in for GSU.

The two main examples I can think of are the 2000 App. State game and the 1999 Furman game. The former had one of the worst pass interference calls I've ever seen that kept a late game drive alive for ASU, and the latter is legendary as far as incompetent officiating.

Gerald ****ing Trexler

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Gerald ****ing Trexler

^ The WORST of them all !

AppMan
July 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
^ The WORST of them all !

Did you know Trexler is an App State graduate? That ought to stir you guys up a bit!

ASUMountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
dude the above is TOTAL HORSE****. You two groups of mouth breathing, clayeating, south ga and mountain white trash are the whiniest group of old ladies south of lexington, va. Y'all GET all the close calls and COMPLAIN when you don't get those that are NOT even close.

0 offensive holding calls throughout 8 SoCon games begs to differ. Of course, can't expect much from a faux-military school grad.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NA9uQSQYiSQ/SSYvDpCYkTI/AAAAAAAABAM/EMU-LyMV3uk/s400/VMI+Cheerleader.JPG

citdog
July 24th, 2013, 02:03 PM
0 offensive holding calls throughout 8 SoCon games begs to differ.

didn't have to hold your terrible defense last year. Just went through them like Lee went through Pope at 2nd Manassas.

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Did you know Trexler is an App State graduate? That ought to stir you guys up a bit!

That explains a lot!

asumike83
July 24th, 2013, 02:27 PM

GSU also has just two wins in Boone over App squads that finished the season with a winning record.

ASUMountaineer
July 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM
didn't have to hold your terrible defense last year. Just went through them like Lee went through Pope at 2nd Manassas.

Right. Or like Sherman went through Georgia.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I think at least some of the officiating crews from the late 90s/early 00s definitely had it in for GSU. I always loved it that we got non-conference officials in playoff games because the officiating always seemed more balanced.

Over the course of the year, these things balance out. I can get bad calls, but I certainly disagree that there is "blatant favoritism." The goal is to have your team in a position where a blown call doesn't scuttle the fight for you.

On a scale of 1 to "the-infield-fly-call-against-the-Braves-in-the-wild-card-game" (the first time in my sports-fan life that I can recall seeing a call that was 100% completely incorrect made with complete disregard to the rules of the game) most of these egregious calls are probably a 5. They might be bad calls, but we all think some calls are terrible when we are so invested in one team.

blueballs
July 24th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Over the course of the year, these things balance out. I can get bad calls, but I certainly disagree that there is "blatant favoritism." The goal is to have your team in a position where a blown call doesn't scuttle the fight for you.

On a scale of 1 to "the-infield-fly-call-against-the-Braves-in-the-wild-card-game" (the first time in my sports-fan life that I can recall seeing a call that was 100% completely incorrect made with complete disregard to the rules of the game) most of these egregious calls are probably a 5. They might be bad calls, but we all think some calls are terrible when we are so invested in one team.

The SoCon officiating is historically poor, and for some weird reason it seems like GSU is more often than not in the midle of any controversary.

My favorite is the FU/GSU game in 1999... the "Gerald Trexler Game" as it is known in GSU lore. I won't get into the phantom holding call on the Earthwind Moreland TD kickoff return that was called back by a flag thrown from the other side of the field 60+ yards behind the play, or the personal foul face mask against Adrian Peterson on the stiff arm right in front of the Furman bench... Nope, there is one call that stands alone and must be shared with all FCS fans.

GSU clobbered Furman in the first half of that game and raced out to a 3 TD halftime lead. Furman was a very good playoff team that year and had defeated North Carolina 28-3 the week before. Furman staged a wild comeback in the second half- with the aid of 130+ yards of GSU penalties and two TD's called back against GSU- to tie the game with less than a minute left.

GSU ran their two minute offense, which consisted of 3 straight Greg Hill (SoCon offensive POTY that year even though Peterson won the Payton Award) QB draws for about 50 yards and got themselves into FG position with about 3 seconds left on the clock.

GSU lined up for the FG... the snap count commenced... you could hear a pin drop in the sold out stadium as the conference title was on the line.... and then Furman's all american safety John Keith (who later played in the NFL with the Falcons) jumped the snap count and hurdled both lines without touching any other player, landing in GSU's backfield face to face with the kicker. Trexler blew the play dead, sent Keith back to his side of the ball without calling any penalty- just pointed to the other side and told him to go back over there, then blew the ball back live as neither team had moved except for Keith and GSU proceeded to kick the game winner.

Paul Johnson (GSU's HC at the time) literally chased Trexler to the officials locker room, which is on the other side of the stadium- not even taking the time to greet Bobby Johnson at mid-field, even though PJ was the victorious coach. Trexler was the fastest man on the field that day getting to that locker room just steps ahead of the screaming PJ.

PJ's post game interview with Nate Hirsch on the GSU radio network about 15 minutes later was just pure gold. Boy was he pissed!!!! I wish somebody had a tape of it, just classic.

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
The SoCon officiating is historically poor, and for some weird reason it seems like GSU is more often than not in the midle of any controversary.

My favorite is the FU/GSU game in 1999... the "Gerald Trexler Game" as it is known in GSU lore. I won't get into the phantom holding call on the Earthwind Moreland TD kickoff return that was called back by a flag thrown from the other side of the field 60+ yards behind the play, or the personal foul face mask against Adrian Peterson on the stiff arm right in front of the Furman bench... Nope, there is one call that stands alone and must be shared with all FCS fans.

GSU clobbered Furman in the first half of that game and raced out to a 3 TD halftime lead. Furman was a very good playoff team that year and had defeated North Carolina 28-3 the week before. Furman staged a wild comeback in the second half- with the aid of 130+ yards of GSU penalties and two TD's called back against GSU- to tie the game with less than a minute left.

GSU ran their two minute offense, which consisted of 3 straight Greg Hill (SoCon offensive POTY that year even though Peterson won the Payton Award) QB draws for about 50 yards and got themselves into FG position with about 3 seconds left on the clock.

GSU lined up for the FG... the snap count commenced... you could hear a pin drop in the sold out stadium as the conference title was on the line.... and then Furman's all american safety John Keith (who later played in the NFL with the Falcons) jumped the snap count and hurdled both lines without touching any other player, landing in GSU's backfield face to face with the kicker. Trexler blew the play dead, sent Keith back to his side of the ball without calling any penalty- just pointed to the other side and told him to go back over there, then blew the ball back live as neither team had moved except for Keith and GSU proceeded to kick the game winner.

Paul Johnson (GSU's HC at the time) literally chased Trexler to the officials locker room, which is on the other side of the stadium- not even taking the time to greet Bobby Johnson at mid-field, even though PJ was the victorious coach. Trexler was the fastest man on the field that day getting to that locker room just steps ahead of the screaming PJ.

PJ's post game interview with Nate Hirsch on the GSU radio network about 15 minutes later was just pure gold. Boy was he pissed!!!! I wish somebody had a tape of it, just classic.

That was classic! Just wonder who now will receive the Socon Ref pain now that both us and app are gone.

citdog
July 24th, 2013, 06:28 PM
That was classic! Just wonder who now will receive the Socon Ref pain now that both us and app are gone.

nobody, not even keydets, whine like you two bleeding gashes.

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 06:43 PM
nobody, not even keydets, whine like you two bleeding gashes.

So, your not fond of Bleeding or non Bleeding Gashes? Is that what you are saying? El Cid may one day take App or Ga Southerns place as the recipients of consistant terrible calls. That is assuming that your team ever amounts to anything.

citdog
July 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
That is assuming that your team ever amounts to anything.

23-21

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM
23-21

17 and 5 Georgia Southern since 1998. Retreat.

citdog
July 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM
17 and 5 Georgia Southern since 1998. Retreat.

We both know what happened the LAST TIME we met as FCS Programs. In case you forgot......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ees0HMS8I

eaglesrback
July 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM
We both know what happened the LAST TIME we met as FCS Programs. In case you forgot......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ees0HMS8I

Nope. Didnt forget last year. But since Georgia Southern will leave the Citadel with a 17 and 5 record, I feel pretty good about it..Btw,Heres to the gash that never heals, the more you rub it, the better it feels........Good Luck in the Socon! And I mean that...

seantaylor
July 25th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Nope. Didnt forget last year. But since Georgia Southern will leave the Citadel with a 17 and 5 record, I feel pretty good about it..Btw,Heres to the gash that never heals, the more you rub it, the better it feels........Good Luck in the Socon! And I mean that...

18-5. We beat those homo cadets by 30+ in Paulson

OL FU
July 25th, 2013, 06:22 AM

They do go both ways. I remember 2005 (don't remember the players names) but a pass interfence call against Furman on a long and pretty much awful pass where the Furman defender was behind the GSU receiver by a yard or two. The Furman player went up for the ball. The GSU player jumped in a backwards direction towards the Furman defender bumping into him. The ball hits the Furman defender on the helmet and he gets flagged for interference.xconfusedx I believe that set up a touchdown in a very close game that Furman lost and cost them home field advantage in the playoffs against ASU.

Regardless, I will miss you guys.

OL FU
July 25th, 2013, 06:23 AM

Bull****.

Bad calls go both ways. May be more noticeable because of the success of the teams. But the statement is bull****.

eaglewraith
July 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM
They do go both ways. I remember 2005 (don't remember the players names) but a pass interfence call against Furman on a long and pretty much awful pass where the Furman defender was behind the GSU receiver by a yard or two. The Furman player went up for the ball. The GSU player jumped in a backwards direction towards the Furman defender bumping into him. The ball hits the Furman defender on the helmet and he gets flagged for interference.xconfusedx I believe that set up a touchdown in a very close game that Furman lost and cost them home field advantage in the playoffs against ASU.

Regardless, I will miss you guys.

Oh you want to talk about 2005? How about the "fumble" that occured 2 yards deep in the endzone resulting in a very timely turnover for you guys right before the half? Out of everything I've seen, I can say that is without a doubt the worst call I've seen as a Georgia Southern fan. Coach Sewak met the refs at midfield and bitched them out all the way past the endzone heading into the locker room for halftime.

OL FU
July 25th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Oh you want to talk about 2005? How about the "fumble" that occured 2 yards deep in the endzone resulting in a very timely turnover for you guys right before the half? Out of everything I've seen, I can say that is without a doubt the worst call I've seen as a Georgia Southern fan. Coach Sewak met the refs at midfield and bitched them out all the way past the endzone heading into the locker room for halftime.

xlolx I conveniently forgot that onexlolx

eaglewraith
July 25th, 2013, 06:38 AM
xlolx I conveniently forgot that onexlolx

Enjoying your wine and cheese plate too much at that point huh? ;)

OL FU
July 25th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Enjoying your wine and cheese plate too much at that point huh? ;)

Honestly I think that is why I made the BS comment above. We, as fans, tend to remember the calls that went against us and conveniently forget the ones that went in our direction. To think there was some grand conspiracy among the refs against GSU and ASU is kinda over the top. If there was a grand conspiracy, I don't think you two would have dominated the SoCon the last 20 years.

seantaylor
July 25th, 2013, 06:46 AM
The Socon is a chicken ish outfit. Love that review will now be the norm for us.

OL FU
July 25th, 2013, 06:54 AM
THe only good thing about GSU leaving the SoCon from my perspective. ST will have no reason to be on this board.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Honestly I think that is why I made the BS comment above. We, as fans, tend to remember the calls that went against us and conveniently forget the ones that went in our direction. To think there was some grand conspiracy among the refs against GSU and ASU is kinda over the top. If there was a grand conspiracy, I don't think you two would have dominated the SoCon the last 20 years.

I agree. It is pretty over the top to try and explain a bad call by favoritism.

Besides, GSU doesn't get my sympathy. Their offensive line lines up in the backfield every. single. play. and never gets called. While I realize they are probably on the border of what is legal, I can't figure out how a quarterback can line up even with the guards without some sort of formation infraction.

blueballs
July 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Besides, GSU doesn't get my sympathy. Their offensive line lines up in the backfield every. single. play. and never gets called. While I realize they are probably on the border of what is legal, I can't figure out how a quarterback can line up even with the guards without some sort of formation infraction.

Don't forget the illegal motion that isn't called when the slotback isn't exactly parallel with the LOS. ;-)

blueballs
July 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM

That one ranks right up there...

Don't forget the phantom offsides call against Brandon Jackson at Elon in 2007 that gave Elon a do over on the game winning FG that they had missed in the second OT. You could argue that call cost GSU the outright conference title and a playoff berth, but there is no guarantee that GSU would have won in a 3rd OT.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM

I have seen some poorly-officiated games but I can promise you I won't level an accusation of favoritism unless it seems pretty obvious. From 2005 forward the officiating hasn't always been good but I've never seen what I would consider biased officiating. Before that I definitely suspect that the refs had it in for us. I happen to know for a fact that on one occasion a SoCon official before a game made the remark to a GSU defensive player (I believe it was linebacker Mike Ward) "Let's see how good your damn defense is".

Again, I'm specifically talking about the late 90s/early 00s and most of the worst examples I can think of are from games that we won. Beyond that time I have seen some SoCon games poorly officiated, but nothing that would lead me to indicate it was biased.

SpiritCymbal
July 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM
One thing I noticed (or perceived to notice) about SoCon officiating over the last 10-15 years was they tended to call things a little tighter against the home team in both football and basketball. It always seemed like the away team, no matter who it was, would have a little more leeway and I always wondered if that was a conscious decision made by the officiating or was it just a biased opinion from myself. And this is coming from someone who's gone to way more away games for GSU over that time than home games.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
One thing I noticed (or perceived to notice) about SoCon officiating over the last 10-15 years was they tended to call things a little tighter against the home team in both football and basketball. It always seemed like the away team, no matter who it was, would have a little more leeway and I always wondered if that was a conscious decision made by the officiating or was it just a biased opinion from myself. And this is coming from someone who's gone to way more away games for GSU over that time than home games.

Wait. We are talking about basketball too? Let's all take a seat.

I do think that refs are human, and folks expect them to be perfect. That is not their full time job. I know my SEC friends gripe about bowl games and ACC officials. I mean, pretty much the only refs that I don't hear terrible things about are the NFL, the SEC, and the PAC10/12.