PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the OVC

Maroons
September 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I'm calling all OVC fans for a discussion about the future of the conference.

Is anyone else afraid the thing might be coming to pieces? Had Chattanooga joined, it could have perhaps signaled the start of a new golden age as they would have been the first significant lure in a while and they might have eventually pulled ETSU in. But, consider the following:

UT-C declines the OVC invitation.
Chattanooga states that they'd like to see ETSU back in the SoCon or swipe Samford
TSU announces a study to consider joining the SWAC with a mandate that says something bold about where the school is headed.

Those are the "facts" at this point... now, consider my own conjecture here about a few other schools:

I have a feeling that ever since news leaked that WKU was considering I-A, EKU started started thinking at the highest levels about our feasibility to make a move. With WKU's appearing imminent, I think EKU is exploring options and looking to follow.
EIU is way out of the conference footprint and surely they regret leaving the Gateway and their other previous non-football conference. Wouldn't they jump at the first chance?
Morehead State's new President is the guy who killed football at ETSU. They won't be coming back to the OVC any time soon.
If Samford goes, where does that leave JSU?

I don't know what to make of it all. I'd like to see the conference succeed but I'm afraid of what the future holds.

EKU05
September 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Well Maroons, here are my thoughts...

-I don't think TSU is actually going anywhere.
-I do believe EKU is thinking I-A at some point, but it's hard to say what that point is.
-I think too much is being made of UTC "turning us down." The fact that there was ANY consideration on their part to leave a great league like the SoCon says something good about the OVC, IMO.
-Football in the OVC is not where it should be, but the conference has shown a serious commitment to it.
-In most other sports the OVC has quite a bit to be proud of. OVC basketball has a tradition and a following that most mid-major leagues would be jealous of.
-I think the only school that MIGHT actually leave for the SoCon is Samford. I don't think JSU would follow. The reasons for that are a completely different discussion. TTU isn't going anywhere..OVC basketball is too good for them. I'm not sure what to think about EIU...I hadn't really thought about that one all that much. You've really got me thinking there, Maroons.

I think the OVC is in better shape than some would have you believe. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

How legit is the idea of adding North Alabama? I really don't know that much about them.

youwouldno
September 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM
EKU going I-A? lol

If WKU does it, it's for basketball. They actually make money off it already and would stand to gain some more. EKU would just be broke.

EKU05
September 11th, 2006, 01:20 AM
EKU going I-A? lol

If WKU does it, it's for basketball. They actually make money off it already and would stand to gain some more. EKU would just be broke.

WKU's move is not for basketball...though it could help them there. That's what a few naive people want to believe. A move to I-A can help your other sports, but it is always primarily about football and/or academics.

Again, I don't think EKU will go I-A in the next five years, and 10 is iffy...but if Western does it...EKU will eventually follow. You would have to know EKU president Joanne Glasser to understand why.

youwouldno
September 11th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Not the president's decision. The president answers to the board of trustees, and if the numbers don't add up, it doesn't happen.

If Kentucky sucks in I-A, there is zero chance WKU or EKU will be good in I-A. So competing successfully at the I-A level cannot be a legitimate reason for moving up. Financially, it would be a disaster, as it has been with Marshall. Although, as I mentioned, at least WKU could cover their losses with basketball money.

Maroons
September 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I, for one, am not contending that it will not be a disaster. I'm simply stating that in the highly competetive relationship between Eastern and Western, I'm pretty sure that behind closed doors on the highest level, EKU is mumbling about this.

But that is not the point of this thread. Back to the OVC...

Golden Eagle
September 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think we have anything to worry about for now. TSU is likely not going anywhere. EIU may regret leaving the Gateway but winning OVC titles will ease the pain. Not getting UTC is a downer, but it's not like the conference was counting on getting them. We'll see about Samford, but frankly it wouldn't be a huge blow to lose them. It would be a much bigger blow to lose JSU, but I get the impression that for now they are sticking around.

colonel84
September 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
youwouldno - how does basketball figure into wku going IA?

wku is in the Sunbelt for BB and would most likely go into the Sunbelt for FB - we all know how well respected the Sunbelt is by all of the other IA football conferences (lol)

Golden Eagle
September 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I think WKU is looking to go to the MAC.

EKU05
September 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
youwouldno - how does basketball figure into wku going IA?

wku is in the Sunbelt for BB and would most likely go into the Sunbelt for FB - we all know how well respected the Sunbelt is by all of the other IA football conferences (lol)

Yes, it's pretty obvious that an initial move to the Sunbelt in football is actually an attempt to get out of the league entirely...here's what I mean.

If WKU stays in I-AA then any of the conferences they actually want to move to will never consider them, and thus they would remain in the belt. If they move to I-AA in the Sunbelt...just by virtue of being a I-A football programs they would become instantly more feasible to any conference looking to expand (the MAC would be the most likely example, but not the only one by any stretch). So moving football to the SBC could be a kind of attempt to get out of it in the long run.

As for the OVC (the real point of this thread)...

I think Golden Eagle was totally on the mark. People are making this out to be a crisis situation, and I just don't see it at all. We offered a team in a clearly superior football conference a chance to think about moving AND THEY ACTUALLY CONSIDERED IT. This never even becomes news if the OVC is dead in the water and UTC takes the offer as a joke.

TSU may be talking about some things, but I have no reason to believe they will actually leave. EIU won't either...the OVC has been good for them in a lot of ways. Even Samford is pure speculation, but like Golden Eagle said...that wouldn't exactly kill the OVC even if it does happen.

Furthermore, if this 12 game thing passes (as most expect it to) then TSU won't have to skip a conference game anymore...so that's another problem solved.

The only thing that looks truly hopeless to me is getting Morehead back for football anytime soon. I'd rather have them back than Peay (no offense govs, you're a valuable overall conference member). I'm hoping that a 12 game schedule might give us a chance to play Morehead from time to time.

EIU86
September 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
EIU was in the Mid Continent Conference, which has schools all over the country. The OVC is a much better conference than the Mid-Con. EIU knew it would be a step down in football, but was willing to do it for other sports. I think it has hurt the football program, but the OVC wasn't going to let EIU join in all sports but football.

The OVC isn't exactly my favorite conference due to the location of the schools. I've got nothing against the schools. I'm sure most OVC schools don't look forward to the drive to Chucktown.

Saint3333
September 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I foresee one if not two OVC schools joining the SoCon in the next two years. Come on EKU and JSU you know you what it.:thumbsup:

Actually I think Samford will join and only hope we can get JSU to come too.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Seems everyone has an opinion on this, here's my 2 cents.

1. Since wku and MTSU left, there has not been the same "intense" rivalry that EKU had with these two schools. These games were always great and well attended by our fans.

2. Even though before Morehead left, the EKU-MSU game wasn't much of a contest, it still was a rival and a well attended game.

3. It appears that most of the other OVC schools and their fans are only interested in basketball and could care less about football and they will tell you so. They would gladly sacrifice football for more $$$ for basketball.

I don't know the answer, but the OVC has lost it appeal for me. If we could find a better home, I would be for making a move.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I foresee one if not two OVC schools joining the SoCon in the next two years. Come on EKU and JSU you know you what it.:thumbsup:

I could go for that...I really enjoyed the trips to App State. I think EKU would be good fit, but only if ASU and GSU are there to stay. I would not want to make the move to the SO Conf and see you guys move elsewhere.

Saint3333
September 11th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Maybe EKU and JSU could move with us, add JMU and Delaware and we're pretty close to a new 1-A conference.

MR. CHICKEN
September 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM
DUH OVC...HAS UH FUTURE......:confused::confused:..........DOODLE-DOO!

Cocky
September 11th, 2006, 10:10 PM
If JSU moves it will be to I-A. The travel in the SOCON is too expensive for the minor sports. Moving to the SOCON would only make sense (or cents) in football.

Maroons
September 11th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a recipe for stability after all. I'm relieved about EIU. And welcome, EIU86... you're the first panther fan I've seen on here.

Knowing EKU's administration, I don't think we'd head to the SoCon... unless it was a I-A conference and we were talking about resuming the rivalry with WKU and MTSU. We seem kind of placebound and any move would be expensive.

It sounds like despite EIU's far-flung-ness, we will be holding pat for a while. I wonder... if ETSU announced a return to football... would the SoCon and the OVC compete for them? And if so, who would win?

youwouldno
September 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Travel would be even worse in the Sun Belch.

Maroons
September 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM

No doubt.

Golden Eagle
September 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM
3. It appears that most of the other OVC schools and their fans are only interested in basketball and could care less about football and they will tell you so. They would gladly sacrifice football for more $$$ for basketball.

Well duh. Nobody is arguing that football is more important than basketball. Because it just isn't.

Cocky
September 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Well duh. Nobody is arguing that football is more important than basketball. Because it just isn't.

The people at JSU and EKU would argue that point.

Cocky
September 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Yes, but you could get more money games.

AppMan
September 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM
OVC, please, please, please keep Samford! I don't know how much longer ASU will actually be in the SoCon, but I have ZERO desire to see the Bulldogs come into the league. Perhaps they can replace us after we leave.

I think there would be some interest in a conference featuring ASU, Delaware, EKU, JMU, MTSU, WKU, Youngstown, and a TBA.

JaxSinfonian
September 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The Birmingham News says Samford appears to have settled this matter. Bulldogs AD Bob Roller told the paper:

The OVC has been good to us. They were there for us when no one else was and we've been very competitive. We're convinced the OVC is the right place for us."

Here's a link to the story from The News (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/mperrin.ssf?/base/sports/1158052843319500.xml&coll=2). This announcement brought to you by the OVC Football Blog (http://ovcfootball.blogspot.com). :nod:

UCABEARS75
September 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I was curious about this thread due to the fact that it is my understanding that the OVC came right out and told us (UCA) that they were not interested in us.

Now I know we are a new D-I team but just telling it like I see it, we would have been a pretty good add.

I am glad we settled in the SLC due to football but it was somewhat confusing that the OVC was not even interested.

Maybe location.

Maroons
September 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I was curious about this thread due to the fact that it is my understanding that the OVC came right out and told us (UCA) that they were not interested in us.

Now I know we are a new D-I team but just telling it like I see it, we would have been a pretty good add.

I am glad we settled in the SLC due to football but it was somewhat confusing that the OVC was not even interested.

Maybe location.

I wouldn't be offended. I know that the northern-most OVC schools bitch about how the conference has gone too far south and west already, so I wouldn't take it personally.

But I think everyone is happy with the competetiveness that JSU and Samford have brought... if not the travel distance.

birdsflyhigh
September 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
UCABEARS75, if the Bears play like they did at IL St. last weekend, IMHO they would clean house in the floundering OVC. If the OVC would not even give UCA a look, then that's a big mistake on their part. Hmmmm? :twocents:

Golden Eagle
September 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Maybe location.

Likely it was location.

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM
UCABEARS75, if the Bears play like they did at IL St. last weekend, IMHO they would clean house in the floundering OVC. If the OVC would not even give UCA a look, then that's a big mistake on their part. Hmmmm? :twocents:

Central Arkansas was just too far out of the footprint of the league. UCA fits better into the Southland, IMHO.

I don't know if there are any schools in the OVC footprint that make sense - the only other DI schools in the area are two non-football playing schools, Belmont and Lipscomb, both in Nashville, and both in the A-Sun conference. Location-wise, both would be ideal, but the non-football status would make them less attractive candidates.

Now the Gateway - there are long-term potential stability issues there. When WKU goes I-A, that leaves seven members. YSU, if they ever got an invite into MAC, they would leave in a flash. That would leave 6 members, minimum for the AQ, and one of those, WIU, could by then be feeling the pressure to play in a Mid-Con centered football league.

birdsflyhigh
September 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM
dbackjon, interesting thoughts on the Gateway. My take on it is that if it were down to five teams, then it would be top 25 progams UNI, SIU and IL St., an improving MSU team plus IN St. That's still one hell of a conference, and IMO there would be PLENTY of good football schools that be be very interested in jumping to the GFC (becoming the sixth member).

Because the Gateway teams beat themselves up so much in-conference (recordwise), a smaller GFC would probably result in better records for many of the schools thereby enhancing each member's chances of making the playoffs.
Sounds completely crazy, but it's addition by subtraction. Who knows? WIU would be absolutely crazy to leave the GFC anyway. EIU's program has tumbled in their years since making the (in retrospect) bad decision to leave the Gateway.

Always find the talk of changing conference landscape interesting though. :cool:

nothingbutjsu
September 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM
New OVC future members

West GA
Kennesaw State
ETSU

Out of OVC
Tn State to SWAC
Jax State to D1 Sunbelt after planned stadium expansion
Samford to SoCon (Bulldogs become SoCon's whipping boy)

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
dbackjon, interesting thoughts on the Gateway. My take on it is that if it were down to five teams, then it would be top 25 progams UNI, SIU and IL St., an improving MSU team plus IN St. That's still one hell of a conference, and IMO there would be PLENTY of good football schools that be be very interested in jumping to the GFC (becoming the sixth member).

Because the Gateway teams beat themselves up so much in-conference (recordwise), a smaller GFC would probably result in better records for many of the schools thereby enhancing each member's chances of making the playoffs.
Sounds completely crazy, but it's addition by subtraction. Who knows? WIU would be absolutely crazy to leave the GFC anyway. EIU's program has tumbled in their years since making the (in retrospect) bad decision to leave the Gateway.

Always find the talk of changing conference landscape interesting though. :cool:

Well, with only 5, you lose the AQ :)
And as a football-only conference, the attractiveness is probably overstated. And Missouri State is also making noises about going I-A. A one-sport conference has inherent in-stability issues. That is why EIU left - not that football in the OVC was better, but the OVC was a superior conference in all aspects to the Mid-Con. If the MVC had asked EIU to join, they would have. The MVC was the most logical place for EIU - halfway between the I-States (Illinois and Indiana). But, the MVC is happy with the current line-up, and it is working for basketball. But will the lack of MVC football end up being what tears it apart?

And a smaller conference, especially where the Gateway is, has the problem of availability of non-conference games. With eight members, you are assured 7 games, 4 at home every other year. When that number drops, you are looking at having to travel further for OOC games, or paying people to come.

birdsflyhigh
September 12th, 2006, 12:49 PM
dbackjon, thanks for your reply, and no disrespect, but I think your logic is flawed in sooooo many ways. First off, why do you say "as a football-only conference (the Gateway), the attractiveness is probably overstated"? Not sure how you can say that the GFC with 3 top 25 programs would have an overstated attractiveness. Hmmm? That statement didn't make sense to me at all. Also, don't you think the GFC would be "able" to find a sixth team to keep AQ? ;)

Say what you want about EIU joining the OVC because they thought it that conference was superior to the Mid-Con. Is the OVC that much better (in all aspects) than the Mid-Con? Yeah, EIU really benefited with that move. xlolx And again leaving the Gateway (perenially a top I-AA) conference to play OVC football has brought EIU's once very good program DOWN a few pegs.

The MVC is basketball driven and on the rise. Half the schools don't even field a football team. Hardly think that the MVC not offering football is what will "tear it apart". Again, your logic does NOT make any sense to me.

As far as the remaining GFC members getting more OCC, I maintain that it is a good thing. There will STILL be the same number of schools to play....i.e. there are PLENTY of I-AA schools right here in the midwest that can be scheduled.

Dbackjon, it's good to get a diffeent perspective on how things could be. Again, no disrespect to your opinions, just think that there are a few flaws. Thanks again for the reply :)

MoreheadEagle
September 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I was sort of bummed to hear about UTC not wanting to come to the OVC. My reasoning was that if the Mocs came on board the pressure would be put on my school ('Head) to move back to OVC football. Morehead would have no choice but to rejoin since there are no good mid-major conference alternatives.

If TSU were to leave (I doubt it) and Samford (ditto) then I could see the same thing happening. Morehead's wort mistake was dropping scholarship football and I hope they move back, but it won't be for another 5-10 years.

dbackjon
September 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
dbackjon, thanks for your reply, and no disrespect, but I think your logic is flawed in sooooo many ways. First off, why do you say "as a football-only conference (the Gateway), the attractiveness is probably overstated"? Not sure how you can say that the GFC with 3 top 25 programs would have an overstated attractiveness. Hmmm? That statement didn't make sense to me at all. Also, don't you think the GFC would be "able" to find a sixth team to keep AQ? ;)

Say what you want about EIU joining the OVC because they thought it that conference was superior to the Mid-Con. Is the OVC that much better (in all aspects) than the Mid-Con? Yeah, EIU really benefited with that move. xlolx And again leaving the Gateway (perenially a top I-AA) conference to play OVC football has brought EIU's once very good program DOWN a few pegs.

The MVC is basketball driven and on the rise. Half the schools don't even field a football team. Hardly think that the MVC not offering football is what will "tear it apart". Again, your logic does NOT make any sense to me.

As far as the remaining GFC members getting more OCC, I maintain that it is a good thing. There will STILL be the same number of schools to play....i.e. there are PLENTY of I-AA schools right here in the midwest that can be scheduled.

Dbackjon, it's good to get a diffeent perspective on how things could be. Again, no disrespect to your opinions, just think that there are a few flaws. Thanks again for the reply :)

Good discussing with you as well :)

What I mean about the attractiveness is overstated for a football-only conference is that you will not find many schools willing to leave an all-sports conference JUST to play in the Gateway. Again, if a MVC/Gateway invitation was extended to NDSU, SDSU, EIU/WIU - I am sure they would take it. The MVC/Gateway combo is VERY attractive. But, of you were to offer EIU a Gateway-only invite, they would turn it down.

The OVC is a much more compact AND stable conference than the Mid-Con. While the additions of NDSU and SDSU are a great asset, it is still a far flung conference, requiring a lot of expensive travel. In that regard, for EIU, the OVC made a lot of sense. And basketball-wise, OVC is superior - just check out Basketball attendence in the OVC vs. Mid-Con.

There is always tension between Football and non-football schools. Part of it has to do with resource allocation. The basketball only schools can allocate a much greater percentage of funding to basketball, versus having to support Football (and an offsetting number of additional women's sports).
It is no accident that many of the mid-major teams that made noise in the NCAA tournament this past year (George Mason, Wichita, Winthrop, etc) are not football schools. The MVC is a half-football, half-non football. Conflicts between the two sides are par for the course.

We'll disagree on the OOC - scheduling OOC teams is not as easy as you might think, especially on a home-and-home basis.

birdsflyhigh
September 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
dbackjon, yes it's good to imagine some of the conference affiliation possibilites. Thought it was strange when you mentioned that EIU wouldn't have wanted to stay in the Gateway because the Valley wasn't interested in them. About half the schools in the GFC don't compete in the MVC.

The OVC might be more compact travel-wise than the Mid-Con, but IMO the Mid-Con is has some rising b-ball programs, while the OVC has leveled off and possibly even dropped in stature over the past few years. Oral Roberts and UMKC are both heading up, while Valpo is usually good, and even WIU (with some good recent recruits) is looking up. How many OVC b-ball programs are truely on the rise? I'd rather being playing in a conference that's moving up....how about you? Also the markets are better in the Mid-Con with Chicago, Tulsa and Kansas City.

Your reference to there always being tension between football and non-football playing schools is true in some amount, but the MVC (with it's half and half members) has been VERY stable for about 20 years now. You also mentioned that many of the mid-majors that made noise last year where non-football schools. SIU and UNI (MVC schools who play football in the Gateway) both made the tourney last year. And yet another MVC/Gateway school MSU should have been dancing in the tourney, but despite having an RPI of 28, was left to play in the NIT. Sooooo...your point about non-football playing schools making the Big Dance (i.e....having strong programs) doesn't really hold water with me because of SIU, UNI and MSU all being quite good.

Definitely agree to disagree on the OCC. Peace out man...:cool:

galojay
September 12th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Central Arkansas was just too far out of the footprint of the league. UCA fits better into the Southland, IMHO.

I don't know if there are any schools in the OVC footprint that make sense - the only other DI schools in the area are two non-football playing schools, Belmont and Lipscomb, both in Nashville, and both in the A-Sun conference. Location-wise, both would be ideal, but the non-football status would make them less attractive candidates.

An up and coming Division I is Northern Kentucky University. They just got funding for a new arena from the state and I think have high goals. They don't have football I don't think, but that could change. Someone else mentioned Kennesaw State... that would be a great addition.

EKU05
September 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
NKU is DII...they have talked about a move (and it likely will eventually happen) but there really isn't a timetable yet. The arena does sound good, but I think they stated things that imply that NKU football would be quite far down the road.

SO ILLmatic
September 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
What I mean about the attractiveness is overstated for a football-only conference is that you will not find many schools willing to leave an all-sports conference JUST to play in the Gateway. Again, if a MVC/Gateway invitation was extended to NDSU, SDSU, EIU/WIU - I am sure they would take it. The MVC/Gateway combo is VERY attractive. But, of you were to offer EIU a Gateway-only invite, they would turn it down.

Midwestern schools outside of the MVC shouldnt keep their hopes up on getting an invite into the Valley, IMO I dont see expansion coming any time soon. All of the Valley members seem to be pleased with the progress not only on the basketball court, but also in the other sports the schools participate in. Im sure the conference officials dont mind hearing their conference's name mentioned frequently.

Oral Roberts and UMKC are both heading up, while Valpo is usually good, and even WIU (with some good recent recruits) is looking up.

Didnt Valpo leave the Mid-Con? I could be mistaken...

SO ILLmatic
September 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Oral Roberts and UMKC are both heading up, while Valpo is usually good, and even WIU (with some good recent recruits) is looking up.

Didnt Valpo leave the Mid-Con? I could be mistaken...

EKU05
September 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, they are headed to the Horizon...I'm not totally sure when that takes effect.

dbackjon
September 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Yes, they are headed to the Horizon...I'm not totally sure when that takes effect.

This is their last season in the Mid-Con

MoreheadEagle
September 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM
NKU is DII...they have talked about a move (and it likely will eventually happen) but there really isn't a timetable yet. The arena does sound good, but I think they stated things that imply that NKU football would be quite far down the road.

NKU is getting a 9-10,000 seat arena IIRC. Much larger than anything in D-I OVC hoops. I wouldn't be surprised if they go D-I in 3-4 years, probably to the Horizon League. If they added football I'd love to have them in the OVC. They're in a great recruiting area for both sports.

EKU05
September 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM
NKU is getting a 9-10,000 seat arena IIRC. Much larger than anything in D-I OVC hoops. I wouldn't be surprised if they go D-I in 3-4 years, probably to the Horizon League. If they added football I'd love to have them in the OVC. They're in a great recruiting area for both sports.

That's not true...several OVC teams play in arenas slightly over 10K, and APSU is at 9K exactly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Conference

Golden Eagle
September 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Still, that's pretty darn impressive and if it did happen, along with football, sign 'em up.

MoreheadEagle
September 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
That's not true...several OVC teams play in arenas slightly over 10K, and APSU is at 9K exactly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Conference

Thanks for the link. I should have said most OVC schools.

HZWV
September 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
OVC, please, please, please keep Samford! I don't know how much longer ASU will actually be in the SoCon, but I have ZERO desire to see the Bulldogs come into the league. Perhaps they can replace us after we leave.

I see a D2 school replacing ASU when they leave the SoCon, which I see in the near future. I think that will be the University of Charleston. In Charleston, WV.

Here is where they play.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/HerdZoned/laidley_field.jpg
Universty Charleston Stadium
Charleston WV
CAP 18,500

I think there would be some interest in a conference featuring ASU, Delaware, EKU, JMU, MTSU, WKU, Youngstown, and a TBA.

I don't see this:

1) To start a new conf it takes 5 yrs to start getting basketball credits, 5 or more schools have to play in the same conf to keep credits going.

2) The conf would have no Bowl ties. It took the Sun Belt 3 yrs to get a bowl tie and then they had to set it up and turn it over to CUSA to run because they didn't have the financial capabilities to do so.

3) Some of the teams you have put in your list will never make it to IA.

The best bet for ASU is to take a Sun Belt or MAC invite when/if you move up. If you do well in either conf you will move up the ladder fast. Alot of ppl say there is no reason to move up unless you are invited to a BCS conf, well not everyone has ties to a BCS conf and if you really want to move up 95% have to do it the hard way.

jaxstatealum
September 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'm calling all OVC fans for a discussion about the future of the conference.

Is anyone else afraid the thing might be coming to pieces? Had Chattanooga joined, it could have perhaps signaled the start of a new golden age as they would have been the first significant lure in a while

:mad: I will forget for a moment that you said that xlolx But just in case you need a reminder... Those JSU Gamecocks kinda made a quick, strong, and early mark in the OVC... and we are not done ;)

With that said - I don't know about the conference as a whole, but personally - I would love to see the OVC add some teams that take football seriously OR I would like to see us leave - preferably for the SoCON. With the exception of EKU and EIL no one really seems to give a crap about football in the OVC.

Maroons
September 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM
jaxstatealum....

...I didn't mean to offend. To be honest, I think all Eastern fans thought that Samford and JSU were just another SEMO and Martin addition. Both of the schools have proven that COMPLETELY WRONG. You have both been terribly valuable additions... but you weren't lured away from a conference that has a reputation as being superior to the OVC in football. I suppose that is more along the lines of what I meant.

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I see a D2 school replacing ASU when they leave the SoCon, which I see in the near future. I think that will be the University of Charleston. In Charleston, WV.

Here is where they play.....

I don't see this:

1) To start a new conf it takes 5 yrs to start getting basketball credits, 5 or more schools have to play in the same conf to keep credits going.

2) The conf would have no Bowl ties. It took the Sun Belt 3 yrs to get a bowl tie and then they had to set it up and turn it over to CUSA to run because they didn't have the financial capabilities to do so.

3) Some of the teams you have put in your list will never make it to IA.

The best bet for ASU is to take a Sun Belt or MAC invite when/if you move up. If you do well in either conf you will move up the ladder fast. Alot of ppl say there is no reason to move up unless you are invited to a BCS conf, well not everyone has ties to a BCS conf and if you really want to move up 95% have to do it the hard way.

Just to interject...sooner or later (if there is no change to IA-IAA and teams continue to move up) a new conference will have to be formed...the IA conferences are close to running out of room for expansion.

It is not like it is out of the realm of possibility...C-USA is relatively new...so is the Mountain West.

My point, it will happen again...you just need to find the schools that are dedicated enough to "wait out" the bowl tie-ins. Heck the smartest thing you might be able to do is to take a number of new IA move-ups and group them together. The wait for tie-ins will give them the time to properly make the jump to a more competitive IA program (instead of being thrown to the wolves in an already established conference).

But back to the OVC talk...I am still bummed that Chattanooga didn't take a longer look. I think if the "looking" was done during basketball season, as opposed to the summer and beginning of football season, there might have been a different result (or at least a much longer look).

I sure as hell hope Chattanooga got something good out of staying.

NoCoDanny
September 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Just to interject...sooner or later (if there is no change to IA-IAA and teams continue to move up) a new conference will have to be formed...the IA conferences are close to running out of room for expansion.

It is not like it is out of the realm of possibility...C-USA is relatively new...so is the Mountain West.

My point, it will happen again...you just need to find the schools that are dedicated enough to "wait out" the bowl tie-ins.

The NCAA also makes exceptions so who's to say they wouldn't here. The Mountain West is an example of that. They make rules and break them all the time. Not that you can count on that but you can't discount it either.

jaxstatealum
September 14th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Maroons -

absolutely NO offense taken - I was just throwing out some friendly college football rivalry. Heck since Troy moved up we at JSU have not had a true rivalry in so long...

Samford counts because they are close, but competition has been, well...

I know that EKU has and deserves a proud tradition - I'm glad that we could come in and contribute to the OVC. You guys are gonna hate sharing that glory with us though... :)

tarmac
September 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Never heard of the U of Charleston in W.V. What kind of crowds do they pull. Nice stadium.

JaxSinfonian
September 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
You have both been terribly valuable additions... but you weren't lured away from a conference that has a reputation as being superior to the OVC in football. I suppose that is more along the lines of what I meant.
Wouldn't most consider Southland football superior to the OVC? That's where we came from. Not that anyone counted JSU as contributing to that superiority at the time. (Though I do remember our 1998 team beating the OVC's MTSU at our place - great game!)

EKU05
September 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't most consider Southland football superior to the OVC? That's where we came from. Not that anyone counted JSU as contributing to that superiority at the time. (Though I do remember our 1998 team beating the OVC's MTSU at our place - great game!)

Weren't the rest of your sports in like the A-Sun or something like that? Being an associate member of a conference isn't quite the same. You were mainly in an inferior league that didn't even allow have football. The OVC was a definite step up for JSU (and we're glad you made that step up).

JaxSinfonian
September 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Being an associate member of a conference isn't quite the same. You were mainly in an inferior league that didn't even allow have football.
Hey, we're talking about football here. No one in Jacksonville misses the A-Sun, but I'm not sure what it had to do with the quality of the Southland Football League. Read the quote from Maroons again:

you weren't lured away from a conference that has a reputation as being superior to the OVC in football
If Western came back to the OVC from the football-only Gateway, could you say they weren't lured away from a conference that has football superior to our league's? (Last week's results notwithstanding - Go Colonels!)

If you mean that our move was A-Sun driven more than football driven, that's not quite right. We were looking to get out of the SFL as much as or more than we were looking to leave the A-Sun. Travel in both leagues was killing us, but we actually had closer rivals in the A-Sun for basketball, etc. (Georgia State, Mercer, et. al - oh, and I almost forgot those punks at Troy!)

HZWV
September 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Again my point. CUSA had 5 schools that playd basketball together for more then 5 yrs, they actually had 6 when the Conf was formed. And 3 automatic bowl games.

The MWC on the other hand had no schools the played 5 yrs together and forfitted the right to basketball monies for 5 yrs and tounaments for 3. They also handed the old WAC all of the bowl games and ties over. The WAC also had 7 schools that had played together for over 5 yrs so no penalty.