PDA

View Full Version : CAA and SOCON thoughts for 2013

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
if possible....can we have the thoughts and/or intelligent discussion on strengths and weaknesses of your particular team and where you think the order will be come playoff time. just honest "here's where we are" comments and no opponent bashing. but be bold with predictions (although realistic) if so motivated.

mountaineer in Cane Land
July 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Ill start, big App fan, strengths, probably the best receiving corp in the FCS, and in a spread offense, with an extremely creative coaching staff in finding ways to get them the ball, they are going to be really difficult to stop, they can go 7 deep and not have a fall off in productivity, think a poor mans version of the Oregon offense the last 3 years. I don't know about weakness, think more alot of question marks, can App find a good backup QB, can they score in the redzone, we were awful last year, very frustrating to watch App move up and down the field and not be able to score with "first goal inside the 10". Can Woody, the new defensive coordinator, take all that talent on defense, some of the best in the FCS, and make it into a discipline unit, that learns how to make the fundamental plays, ie: proper tackling. Bottom line, talent is again, some of the best in the FCS, but can they learn to play smart, fundamental football. Heart says 9-2, head says 8-3

ASUMountaineer
July 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
Ill start, big App fan, strengths, probably the best receiving corp in the FCS, and in a spread offense, with an extremely creative coaching staff in finding ways to get them the ball, they are going to be really difficult to stop, they can go 7 deep and not have a fall off in productivity, think a poor mans version of the Oregon offense the last 3 years. I don't know about weakness, think more alot of question marks, can App find a good backup QB, can they score in the redzone, we were awful last year, very frustrating to watch App move up and down the field and not be able to score with "first goal inside the 10". Can Woody, the new defensive coordinator, take all that talent on defense, some of the best in the FCS, and make it into a discipline unit, that learns how to make the fundamental plays, ie: proper tackling. Bottom line, talent is again, some of the best in the FCS, but can they learn to play smart, fundamental football. Heart says 9-2, head says 8-3

Not sure on a prediction, but another ? is RB. Interested to see this team this season!

eaglewraith
July 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Georgia Southen returns pretty much all its offensive weapons from a team that was 3 minutes away from playing for the national championship and outside of the game with UGA, lost 3 games by a combined 8 points. The defense loses NFL draft pick JJ Wilcox at Safety and All American DT Brent Russell, but we have a player in the mold of JJ and our depth at DL is pretty good. We'll just need someone to step in and fill Russell's shoes which is not an easy task at all. We have also put a lot of emphasis into getting a kicker after the debacle that was our kicking game last year. That one move alone could have shifted the outcomes of the 3 FCS losses last year.

Our obvious weaknesses are what we've lost on defense and the kicking game. I'm going to go ahead and say we've made the moves to fix the kicking aspect of things. As for defense, they might struggle early but I expect them to come together. Luckily we have a great offense to take some pressure off them. In 2012 it was the defense bailing out the offense early on, this year I expect to see the opposite.

Our team is also motivated to close out our chapter in FCS with a blast. One of the goals is to break every offensive record our program owns.

My prediction: 10-1

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
App usually has the most talent on the field on any Saturday. A new DC should improve things I would hope. Who are the 2 or 3 losses to?

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Will app still run substantially with all the wideout talent?

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Will losing the experienced running back hurt gsu or do they just plug in and keep rolling? And I'm assuming the one loss is at Florida?

TheRevSFA
July 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Do you think any teams surprise and make it into the playoffs? I'd like to see El Cid do it

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
U have to think there's a new high in blue hen country. Towson should be strong again and jmu will cause a stir come November. In the socon, wofford is the only playoff team left from last year so citadel, furman, samford and chatty should make noise.

danefan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:09 PM
My thoughts for Albany. A tall order for sure and I can easily see us going 5-7, probably more likely than 7-5.

@ Duquesne - W
@ Colgate - W
vs. Rhode Island - W
vs. CCSU - W
@ ODU - L
@ JMU - L
@ Delaware - W
vs. Towson - L
@ Richmond - L
vs. Maine - W
vs. UNH - W
@ SBU - L

Weeks 5-8 are brutal then the bye comes before Richmond.

Apphole
July 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
My prediction: 10-1

You really expect to leave The Rock with a win? Interesting.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
2013 stands a chance to be one of the best teams Richmond has ever had.

We are extremely deep on both lines, particularly the offensive line but we go solidly 8 deep on the DL as well.

I don't think Michael Strauss is going to be an all CAA quarterback but he will be solid and he has a good system and talent around him. We have a diverse and talented group of WR's and Tight Ends. We are thin at RB. That is a potential area of concern.

On defense, our front 7 should be very, very good with our deep DL and talented linebackers. Our secondary should be pretty solid but it remains to be seen how much better Cooper Taylor made the rest of the guys look.

We are inexperienced at both Kicker and Punter and have potential problems there.

If the Spiders don't win at least 8 games, I'd be highly disappointed. I think this is a team capable of winning a few games in the playoffs too.

mountaineer in Cane Land
July 22nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
App will lose to Georgia, , maybe Montana, really, really tough to beat at home, no matter how good, bad, or average their team is, and I think we will lose to one team in the SC, though, I don't think it will be GS or Chatt in Boone, just doesn't happen, history has shown that Furman in Greenville might be that lost, Furman is improving, we never play well at Furman, and its almost always a close ballgame.

eaglewraith
July 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM

Yes I do.

citdog
July 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Add 2013 to the STORIED years of 1961 and 1992. The Citadel Bulldogs will be crowned the Champions of the Southern Conference.

eaglewraith
July 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Add 2013 to the STORIED years of 1961 and 1992. The Citadel Bulldogs will be crowned the Champions of the Southern Conference.

And it only took us and App to be ineligible. You haven't won the conference the entire time we were eligible members after our first year in the conference.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Furman looks to take another step getting back to that gritty hard nosed football they used to play. They return all of their offensive line, including Dakota Dozier, a guy that is probably the best O-lineman the conference has produced in some time. That experience up front will do a lot for second year man Reece Hannon under center. He will be supported by a guy I think might well be a breakout player in Hank McCloud (who played in Jerodis Williams shadow the past few years) and a talented but young and yet unproven receiving core.

Defense will be interesting. Probably as much individual talent as Furman has had on defense since the early 2000s (you want to talk defense, go look up the numbers for Furman's '03 team). Linebacking corps is deep but very young. Same with the defensive backfield. You could see only one upper classman start at linebacker and DB for Furman. Biggest issue on defense (like for many FCS teams) is depth up front. Furman was hit particularly hard by a paperwork snafu from the Lamb regime that cost two defensive linemen a year of eligibility and hurt the heck out of our depth up front.

One good thing from last year was Bruce Fowler's insistence that the young guys get snaps. Furman played a boatload of freshmen last year. I think that will help make this continuing transition easier.

The Paladins are a real dark horse in my opinion. They played respectably close games against a number of playoff teams last season. Last season they had trouble moving the ball through the air, and let teams just hone in on stopping Williams. If Furman can develop a passing attack this season, they could upset a few teams. I still think they are a year away from moving back up into the national conversation.

citdog
July 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
And it only took us and App to be ineligible. You haven't won the conference the entire time we were eligible members after our first year in the conference.

23-21

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM
I hope Richmond makes a strong comeback also. do you throw and run evenly....in regard to your question at running back?

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
I like your confidence citdog...did you lose any key components from last year? who do you see being obstacles?

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
no argument here paladinfan. how's the kicking game?

citdog
July 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
I like your confidence citdog...did you lose any key components from last year? who do you see being obstacles?

Most everyone back and the offensive lineman are all, excepting one, five year men. Both Qb's and a hell of a stable of backs. The defense will be excellent and will have some depth. The 'Dogs will be THRUSTING!

Mountaineer
July 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
The 'Dogs will be THRUSTING!

http://jefferlydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/doghumping.jpg

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
I hope Richmond makes a strong comeback also. do you throw and run evenly....in regard to your question at running back?

Including Jet Sweeps and designed Quarterback running plays, Yes. I do expect the distribution of running and passing plays will be roughly even. Jacobi Green figures to be the featured running back. He showed well last year when he played. He's not big but he is fast.

TJ Moon is the guy that figures to be our short yardage back but he has been plagued with injuries since he arrived here.

ASUMountaineer
July 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM

But, it's only been 20 years since the last championship. Got another decade to go.

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Including Jet Sweeps and designed Quarterback running plays, Yes. I do expect the distribution of running and passing plays will be roughly even. Jacobi Green figures to be the featured running back. He showed well last year when he played. He's not big but he is fast.

TJ Moon is the guy that figures to be our short yardage back but he has been plagued with injuries since he arrived here.

saw green last year and wondered why he doesn't return kicks

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Furman looks to take another step getting back to that gritty hard nosed football they used to play. They return all of their offensive line, including Dakota Dozier, a guy that is probably the best O-lineman the conference has produced in some time. That experience up front will do a lot for second year man Reece Hannon under center. He will be supported by a guy I think might well be a breakout player in Hank McCloud (who played in Jerodis Williams shadow the past few years) and a talented but young and yet unproven receiving core.

Defense will be interesting. Probably as much individual talent as Furman has had on defense since the early 2000s (you want to talk defense, go look up the numbers for Furman's '03 team). Linebacking corps is deep but very young. Same with the defensive backfield. You could see only one upper classman start at linebacker and DB for Furman. Biggest issue on defense (like for many FCS teams) is depth up front. Furman was hit particularly hard by a paperwork snafu from the Lamb regime that cost two defensive linemen a year of eligibility and hurt the heck out of our depth up front.

One good thing from last year was Bruce Fowler's insistence that the young guys get snaps. Furman played a boatload of freshmen last year. I think that will help make this continuing transition easier.

The Paladins are a real dark horse in my opinion. They played respectably close games against a number of playoff teams last season. Last season they had trouble moving the ball through the air, and let teams just hone in on stopping Williams. If Furman can develop a passing attack this season, they could upset a few teams. I still think they are a year away from moving back up into the national conversation.

how will the kicking game be this year?

citdog
July 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
But, it's only been 20 years since the last championship. Got another decade to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
any other loyalists out there? blue hens...wildcats...bears? catamounts...mocs...'bama bulldogs?

SU DOG
July 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Samford's biggest question is how will replacing 2 LBs work out. We return one that played as much as the starters and was 2nd and 3rd on the team in total tackles the last 2 years, but the other 2 will be less experienced. We probably have more speed and talent at this position than last year, so it's not like a true Fr. will be depended on. The problem is we have a particular scheme for the TO, and that will require any LB to play assignment football. A step or 2 out of position, and well, that's what that offense(see GSU) thrives on. I know our coaches worked with our LBs on this in the spring. Our defense otherwise appears to be terrific IMO. Several different posters have said their secondary will be the best in the SoCon, so I will also join in because ours will be hard to beat. Even with the loss of a DL who was an NFL draft pick, our defensive front looks incredible with three(excludes RUSH DE) of our four going 290, 296, and 309 pounds. These guys are not only very strong, but also really quick. That group will be a huge load for the O-Lines to block this season.

On offense, we have just about everything back. We did lose our PK, but signed the #2 rated kicker in the country. I will admit that we need a little more innovation in our offense, but with a second year QB, that is very likely to happen. What could be a killer for us is the October schedule with all those away conference games. As for expectations, I, like most Samford Fans, think anything less than the playoffs will be disappointing.

It seems to me that even excluding ASU and GSU, the SoCon will still be a VERY tough league this season.

ASUMountaineer
July 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

Makes sense a knob would like some fruitastic film like that. xsmhx

citdog
July 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Makes sense a knob would like some fruitastic film like that. xsmhx

I propose a toast!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2337/2258193971_874a118797_z.jpg

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Samford's biggest question is how will replacing 2 LBs work out. We return one that played as much as the starters and was 2nd and 3rd on the team in total tackles the last 2 years, but the other 2 will be less experienced. We probably have more speed and talent at this position than last year, so it's not like a true Fr. will be depended on. The problem is we have a particular scheme for the TO, and that will require any LB to play assignment football. A step or 2 out of position, and well, that's what that offense(see GSU) thrives on. I know our coaches worked with our LBs on this in the spring. Our defense otherwise appears to be terrific IMO. Several different posters have said their secondary will be the best in the SoCon, so I will also join in because ours will be hard to beat. Even with the loss of a DL who was an NFL draft pick, our defensive front looks incredible with three(excludes RUSH DE) of our four going 290, 296, and 309 pounds. These guys are not only very strong, but also really quick. That group will be a huge load for the O-Lines to block this season.

On offense, we have just about everything back. We did lose our PK, but signed the #2 rated kicker in the country. I will admit that we need a little more innovation in our offense, but with a second year QB, that is very likely to happen. What could be a killer for us is the October schedule with all those away conference games. As for expectations, I, like most Samford Fans, think anything less than the playoffs will be disappointing.

It seems to me that even excluding ASU and GSU, the SoCon will still be a VERY tough league this season.

samford seems to be poised for a breakout season. they have methodically climbed with wins and narrowly lost some big ones. that is a tough October though. what do you see the bulldog's going in that stretch?

ASUMountaineer
July 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
I propose a toast!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2337/2258193971_874a118797_z.jpg

Hmm...that bread seems leavened. xsmhx

Tribal
July 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
W&M has to stay healthy at QB. If Ortiz can stay healthy, we have a real shot at winning 8 games. We return a bunch of starters at every position except a few on defense but most agree that our D is primed for an excellent season.

Aside from QB, I'm concerned about our kicking game.

We have a few winnable games after WVU to get ourselves ready for a tough CAA stretch. I have us at 7 wins.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
how will the kicking game be this year?

Actually, I would expect Furman to have a very strong kicking game. Ray Early handled both punting and place kicking duties for Furman last season, was among the best of the conference at both positions. Also of note is Furman is one of the few FCS schools (I would imagine) with a scholarship long snapper. It wouldn't surprise me to see Early selected preseason all conference at both positions.

FCSfan
July 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
W&M has to stay healthy at QB. If Ortiz can stay healthy, we have a real shot at winning 8 games. We return a bunch of starters at every position except a few on defense but most agree that our D is primed for an excellent season.

Aside from QB, I'm concerned about our kicking game.

We have a few winnable games after WVU to get ourselves ready for a tough CAA stretch. I have us at 7 wins.

Rhodes seems to be a stud LB. hope your QB stays healthy

CID1990
July 22nd, 2013, 05:41 PM
El Cid bringas back pretty much the whole offense, notably missing our All American center. It will be interesting to see how the middle of the line performs this year, but the kid we have replacing him is a Frye... the last Frye we had on OL was his big brother in the 1980s-90s era.

Defense is getting back pretty much all the key people.

Special teams will be interesting- we'll continue to block punts this year, but our own punting will definitely drop off now that our P is now working for the Giants.

I think we lose 2 SoCon games this year, and that includes ASU and GSU in the mix. I don't think we get out of Statesboro with a win, but it will be close as it usually is. I think we lose to GSU and UTC. Oh, we'll lose to clempson too.

mountaineerman
July 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
xlolxxcoffeex

Ha!

ElCid
July 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
El Cid bringas back pretty much the whole offense, notably missing our All American center. It will be interesting to see how the middle of the line performs this year, but the kid we have replacing him is a Frye... the last Frye we had on OL was his big brother in the 1980s-90s era.

Defense is getting back pretty much all the key people.

Special teams will be interesting- we'll continue to block punts this year, but our own punting will definitely drop off now that our P is now working for the Giants.

I think we lose 2 SoCon games this year, and that includes ASU and GSU in the mix. I don't think we get out of Statesboro with a win, but it will be close as it usually is. I think we lose to GSU and UTC. Oh, we'll lose to clempson too.

I think this matches what I have in regard to the roster. We did pick up a K/P recruit that is pretty darn good, but obviously time will tell. The loss of the center was bad but not catastrophic. D will be fine. I say two conf losses at least, but three would not be surprising. I feel much better about Samford than Chatty. And Furman is always lurking around to bite someone unexpectedly. The ODU game on the road is a ? In regard to Clemson, as long as we don't get blown out and stay healthy, the check will be nice to pay for the playoff travel.:D But pretty sure we don't make playoffs if we go 7-5. 8-4 with loses to ODU/Clemson and two top tier SOCON and I think we are in. Beat ODU and we have wiggle room in the SOCON, but that will be a tall order.

Brad82
July 22nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Rhody's chances are no better against Albany and Stony Brook,just that they have to get off to a good start.
They go 1-3 or 0-4 and watch out. I have not been wrong yet on that theory.

Date Opponent Result Time/Status Links
August
Thu. 29 at Fordham 7:00 PM EDT W

September
Sat. 7 Stony Brook * 1:00 PM EDT W

Sat. 14 at Albany * 7:00 PM EDT W

Sat. 21 at William & Mary * 7:00 PM EDT L

Sat. 28 Central Connecticut 1:00 PM EDT W

October
Sat. 5 at Brown 6:00 PM EDT W

Sat. 12 at New Hampshire * 12:00 PM EDT Audio L
Cowell Stadium | Durham, N.H.
Sat. 19 Richmond * 1:00 PM EDT L
Family Day
Sat. 26 Delaware * 12:00 PM EDT W
Homecoming
November
Sat. 2 at Old Dominion 3:30 PM EDT L

Sat. 9 Villanova * 12:30 PM EST W

Sat. 16 at Maine W

TSU86
July 22nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Towsons QB situation is a ????.

Joe Brennan transferred from Wisc prior to last yr and basically was an understudy. From what I've read, he really didn't separate himself from the pack in the spring. He supposedly has all of the tools, and he's got the size (6-3, 210).
Running game should again be awesome. 4/5 of the OL are back ...as well as the beast T West, and some quality backups. WR and TE are decent IMO

I can't speak as much about the D. I believe the DB should be strong, and to a lesser extent, LB. DL maybe a little shaky.

eaglewraith
July 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
23-21

17-5

HailSzczur
July 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
L @Boston College
W @Fordham
BYE
W Stony Brook
W Penn
W William & Mary
L @Towson
W @New Hampshire
W Maine
W @James Madison
W @Rhode Island
Bye Week
W Delaware

Optimistically I think the Cats go 9-2 this season, with loses to @BC and @Towson. We stack up well against BC actually, and I think we can be competitive. I think @UNH could be a toss up game (we never seem to play well in Durham for some reason), and Stony Brook (their line just destroyed us last year). Worst case scenario I think we go 7-4. I expect the Cats to be in the playoffs, and my hope is we aren't playing Thanksgiving weekend.

Biggest Strength: Running Game
Jr. Kevin Monangai had the 5th best season in school history and lead the CAA in rushing. RS-So QB John Robertson rushed for over 1,000 yds last season. Jr Austin Medley battled injuries, but still rushed for over 500 yds. Add RS-So Jamal Abdur-Rahman into the mix, who was supposed to be ahead of Monangai on the depth chart until he was suspended for the season. No OL starters were lost, and Preseason All American Dan Shirey is back this season to make it even stronger. We will run over anyone we play, plain and simple.

Biggest Weakness: Pass Defense
Safeties Ronnie Akins and Eric Loper both graduated. The pair was responsible for 7 of our 14 INTs last year and 134 Total Tackles. Jr FS Joe Sarnese led the team in both tackles and interceptions, so he will be the anchor this year. The rest of the secondary consists of underclassmen and even 1 converted WR, Jerry Miles

Biggest Question Mark: Passing Game
We are obviously a run first team, but Robertson was fairly efficient as a passer. One of the few starters we lost this year was Norman White, who was a Pre-Season All American last year. White didn't quite have the year we expected from him, but alot that came from the run first offense we settled into and the double coverage he kept seeing. We had no other big targets and teams game planned for him, causing us to spread the ball a lot more. Sr Joe Price stepped up well with 606 yds on the season and 4 TDs. We need at least one of these guys to step up big: WR Clay Horne and Poppy Livers, YAC man Kevin Guylas, and TE Ernest Pettway.

caribbeanhen
July 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM
any other loyalists out there? blue hens...wildcats...bears? catamounts...mocs...'bama bulldogs?

as for Delaware, Keeler is out replaced by Rutgers OC Dave Brock, the staff has put a clamp on the information flow but promise change meaning a more aggressive attacking style, hens a big unkown this year and not many outside of Newark are expecting anything much and that is good..... sleeper

Have a chance to be pretty good on D - they had several players hurt last year including a few Maryland transfers that never saw the field

starting QB Hurley had off season surgery and is a question mark going into practice as well as Sasek, who was stabbed in an altercation a few months ago, The OL needs to step up

Andrew Pierce will be a senior and they have heralded frosh Randolph to go with Lang at RB

WR is solid anchored by 5th year senior Rob Jones, Michael Johnson is pretty good as well (ask ODU fans}

pretty much a clean slate with the coaching staff and that will help as opposing coaches and granny Hen fans have had the Delaware offence wired for years now

lots of things will have to come together for the Hens to challenge for a playoff spot but I would not sleep on the Fightin Blue Hens

seantaylor
July 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM

Yep. Doesn't seem to be a big problem for first round playoff fodder.

ElCid
July 23rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
L @Boston College
W @Fordham
BYE
W Stony Brook
W Penn
W William & Mary
L @Towson
W @New Hampshire
W Maine
W @James Madison
W @Rhode Island
Bye Week
W Delaware

Optimistically I think the Cats go 9-2 this season, with loses to @BC and @Towson. We stack up well against BC actually, and I think we can be competitive. I think @UNH could be a toss up game (we never seem to play well in Durham for some reason), and Stony Brook (their line just destroyed us last year). Worst case scenario I think we go 7-4. I expect the Cats to be in the playoffs, and my hope is we aren't playing Thanksgiving weekend.

I think you guys can win this. BC has been horrible.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM
I think this matches what I have in regard to the roster. We did pick up a K/P recruit that is pretty darn good, but obviously time will tell. The loss of the center was bad but not catastrophic. D will be fine. I say two conf losses at least, but three would not be surprising. I feel much better about Samford than Chatty. And Furman is always lurking around to bite someone unexpectedly. The ODU game on the road is a ? In regard to Clemson, as long as we don't get blown out and stay healthy, the check will be nice to pay for the playoff travel.:D But pretty sure we don't make playoffs if we go 7-5. 8-4 with loses to ODU/Clemson and two top tier SOCON and I think we are in. Beat ODU and we have wiggle room in the SOCON, but that will be a tall order.

The Citadel, Samford, and UTC have more or less the same problem. Less so for the Citadel, but at some point it is "put up or shut up" time. The Citadel has gotten good again recently, but it seems like Samford and UTC have been hovering around the "this is the year" motto for a couple of seasons now.

bluehenbillk
July 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Delaware best case scenario 9-3, worst case scenario 5-7.

LeadBolt
July 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
William & Mary is not likely to lose 5 games by a total of 11 points (6 games by a total of 18 points). I'm cautiously optimistic that 7 to 8 wins are possible.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
The Citadel, Samford, and UTC have more or less the same problem. Less so for the Citadel, but at some point it is "put up or shut up" time. The Citadel has gotten good again recently, but it seems like Samford and UTC have been hovering around the "this is the year" motto for a couple of seasons now.

While there is some basis for that statement, "put up or shut up" seems a bit too dramatic to me. Yes, this should be our best team since joining the SoCon, but injuries, breaks, calls, etc. can all have unforeseen effects on the outcomes. I also don't necessarily think that The Citadel is in any less of this situation than Samford is. They should be a fine team this year, but I point out that we have beaten them the last 2 years, and last season wasn't even close. NO disrespect intended towards what I think will be an outstanding Citadel Team, but meant as a rebuttal for your remark that seems to separate them from us and UTC. What I really believe PF is that the SoCon will be a slug-fest this year, and almost anything can happen, especially with ASU and GSU out of contention. Samford, The Citadel, and UTC all seem to have lots of talent, and who knows what Wofford will have, as you can NEVER rule them out. For all I know, Furman might also make a move back among the leaders. It will be an interesting year for sure.