PDA

View Full Version : NDSU - A Three-Peat?

World
July 21st, 2013, 03:04 PM
these guys are good

real good

any thoughts

JSUBison
July 21st, 2013, 03:14 PM
these guys are good

real good

any thoughts

The best....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoWjU8OAUaU&t=1m53s

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd put my money on No. They might be the best team again but odds and luck are against them imo.

Bisonoline
July 21st, 2013, 03:28 PM
I would love to see it happen. But the odds say no. Im will still buy my natty tix early.

Apphole
July 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Well it's a damn shame App can't defend the threepeat with the squad we have this year (best since our threepeat). NDSU has a better chance to win the 2014 NC than any other. Time will tell.

IBleedYellow
July 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Can't wait.

AmsterBison
July 21st, 2013, 04:40 PM
Well it's a damn shame App can't defend the threepeat with the squad we have this year (best since our threepeat). NDSU has a better chance to win the 2014 NC than any other. Time will tell.

Ironic, isn't it? It's a damn shame that NDSU wasn't allowed to stand in App's way to a three-peat. Five-year transition period, bah! :)

Bisonoline
July 21st, 2013, 04:56 PM
My main thought is I just want to be in the game. Winning the game is an after thought right now.

IBleedYellow
July 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ironic, isn't it? It's a damn shame that NDSU wasn't allowed to stand in App's way to a three-peat. Five-year transition period, bah! :)

No kidding. Just think about it, IF we declared sooner, we possibly could have stopped App from ever three-peating to begin with. If they wouldn't go FBS, they would have a shot at stopping us.

First things first: We have to win the Valley.

Home field advantage in the playoffs will be huge.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM
Good chance of a 3-peat!!

Looking at our schedule, besides K-State, the games that could trip us up are: SDSU-UNI-SIU The Bison should take care of business in the other games. The last 2 years I thought we would go undefeated at home but that was wrong.

If the injury bug doesn't show up this year, I expect a playoff run again.

UNDColorado
July 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM
We're talking a minimum 8-peat (fast forward to 3:19):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769A4mUY7g0

underdawg
July 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
I don't know how I could put it any better--all hail Bison indeed!

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
I don't know how I could put it any better--all hail Bison indeed!

If the Bison do not make it then I would cheer for another Valley team to win it.........aww...even UNI....did I just say that!!! :p

344Johnson
July 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM
If the Bison do not make it then I would cheer for another Valley team to win it.........aww...even UNI....did I just say that!!! :p

No question. It'd be pretty neat to play another Valley team in the title game and have everyone get an "MVC" chant going similar to the SEC chant.

DJKyR0
July 21st, 2013, 08:27 PM
If you'd have asked me which team from 2011's title squad to now would be favored to win their national championship the most, I'd have said this year's squad is the one. We return everybody who played a big role from last year and add in a few pieces that were out of commission, are loaded with seniors who have playoff experience, and have a coaching staff that knows how to put together a winning game plan. Lots of hurdles lie in wait and there are some really good teams in the Valley this year, but we're equipped to make it happen.

geaux_sioux
July 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Here's a nice hypothetical. If UND makes the championship game and the bison are out do you cheer for UND or the other team? ( it's hypothetical so spare the bs about how UND will never make the championship game.)

dewey
July 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Here's a nice hypothetical. If UND makes the championship game and the bison are out do you cheer for UND or the other team? ( it's hypothetical so spare the bs about how UND will never make the championship game.)

I would cheer for the other team.

Dewey

word
July 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Other team....no question.

Sammy94
July 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
I think so but I'm hoping for another shot at a rematch. Third time the charm???

AmsterBison
July 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
NDSU struggled in 6 of 8 conference games last year so I'm not taking anything for granted.

Apphole
July 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM

No D2 transitional team would have had a chance against the 2007 Neers. Sorry but that's not a good comparison.

Bison56
July 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
xtwocentsxIts a long road just to get 1. Three is going to be tougher than ever. Its hard to keep up that intensity, but I think they will pull it off. I have a lot of faith in the coaches keeping the players minds right.

As for the UND question I would cheer fo the other team.:D

geaux_sioux
July 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I would cheer for the other team.

Dewey

Good. I hate the whole 'Good for North Dakota' thing some people use. The only thing as good as seeing UND win is seeing NDSU lose.

Southern Bison
July 22nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Good. I hate the whole 'Good for North Dakota' thing some people use. The only thing as good as seeing UND win is seeing NDSU lose.

The other Team (as long as it's not Ewww)

Agreed...and the ironic part is that UND hasn't won many more games than NDSU lost in the past 2 seasons!! xlolx

AmsterBison
July 22nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
No D2 transitional team would have had a chance against the 2007 Neers. Sorry but that's not a good comparison.

Your belief in App State's superiority doesn't change the fact that with a three-year rather than five-year transition, NDSU would have earned a seed in 2006 and possibly 2007. I'd have liked to see NDSU v App State in either of those years.

Apphole
July 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Your belief in App State's superiority doesn't change the fact that with a three-year rather than five-year transition, NDSU would have earned a seed in 2006 and possibly 2007. I'd have liked to see NDSU v App State in either of those years.

It's quite the stretch, man. We're talking about a school with scholarship disadvantages being transitional vs a team that put a beating on Joe Flacco and the Blue Hens in the final game. Anything can happen in any game of course but you were hardly robbed of a chance to stop our three peat.

Being ineligible with the team we have this year is another story.

dewey
July 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Good. I hate the whole 'Good for North Dakota' thing some people use. The only thing as good as seeing NDSU win is seeing UND lose.

I fixed it for you, LOL!!! I hate to say this but I agree with your assesment of the 'Good for North Dakota" thing. If you support one you DO NOT in any capacity ever cheer for the other one.

The other Team (as long as it's not Ewww)

Agreed!

Dewey

AmsterBison
July 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
It's quite the stretch, man. We're talking about a school with scholarship disadvantages being transitional vs a team that put a beating on Joe Flacco and the Blue Hens in the final game. Anything can happen in any game of course but you were hardly robbed of a chance to stop our three peat.

NDSU was in full scholly mode by 2006 - of course, most of that was accomplished by increasing scholarship amounts of guys already on the team so maybe you have a point.

On the other hand, NDSU went 3-1 against FBS teams in those two years - and that included two bowl teams. Sure, our lack of depth would have been a problem, but who knows who NDSU could have beaten early in the playoffs?

BisonBacker
July 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM

If anything NDSU got jobbed. Appy screwed the pooch by declaring when they did. Comparing the two NDSU and it's fans had a legitimate bitch. Appy and your fans not so much so.

pike51
July 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I'd be willing to put money on them. Especially without App, ODU, and Georgia Southern in the mix. Honestly, if they get all home games in the playoffs, I'm not sure they couldn't beat the NY Giants. ;) I might see Wofford giving them a scare again, but I'm not sure who else is going to stop them now.

geaux_sioux
July 22nd, 2013, 02:39 PM
How bout App fans compile the App team stats from 2007 and NDSU fans compile stats from 2007 and compare numbers and key players instead of empty arguments.

BEAR
July 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
http://global3.memecdn.com/the-beauty-of-nature_o_624703.jpg

Vitojr130
July 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM

Easy mode engaged: I would definitely cheer for the other team.

tourguide
July 22nd, 2013, 06:30 PM

At first I was gonna say I would throw my tix in the garbage but then realized that would remind UN_ of their home field and most likely give them a home field advantage. No one plays better in front of crickets. Other team all day!!

ElCid
July 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
The safe money would say yes, they get the 3-peat, but I am not so sure. It appears too much of a sure bet even with all the history and pieces in place for them. The Missouri Valley may be a bit too tough this year even for them to navigate unscathed. That might knock them off their rhythm and let someone else sneak in. They still have a great chance but if they don't win it all again, I will not be surprised. It is a hard thing to accomplish.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM

Pretty easy: Other team!

JSUBison
July 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
How bout App fans compile the App team stats from 2007 and NDSU fans compile stats from 2007 and compare numbers and key players instead of empty arguments.

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php

It's a simulator website, and I ran ASU against NDSU.

ASU as home team: Appalachian St.(2007) wins 68 of 100 matchups against North Dakota St.(2007)

NDSU as home team: North Dakota St.(2007) wins 60 of 100 matchups against Appalachian St.(2007)

Pretty much a push, would have been a good matchup. Too bad a NDSU/ASU game can no longer realistically happen.

There is another simulator website for college football, but I can't find it or remember the name. The site was posted here several years back, but I can't find it.

tourguide
July 22nd, 2013, 07:34 PM
Pretty much a push, would have been a good matchup. Too bad a NDSU/ASU game can no longer realistically happen.

Give it a couple years, NDSU will be in the same division as all those silly clowns who moved up. Not because NDSU will move up, but because all those others will be forced to move back down. Funding football at the highest level to compete for nothing once the Big 5 lock everyone out will stop real fast!

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 22nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Give it a couple years, NDSU will be in the same division as all those silly clowns who moved up. Not because NDSU will move up, but because all those others will be forced to move back down. Funding football at the highest level to compete for nothing once the Big 5 lock everyone out will stop real fast!

I wonder if the Big 5, if they split from the NCAA, will increase the scholarship level back up to 90-95 or whatever it was before the NCAA cut it??

IMO, they will with all that TV money coming in. Lock up another 10 athletes on full rides for added depth.

DJKyR0
July 22nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
The only time I would ever cheer for UND is if they're playing against the Westboro Baptist Church. Even then it'd be begrudgingly.

Hammerhead
July 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
The Bison throttled the MAC champion 44-17 and beat Minnesota in 2007.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2449/year/2007/north-dakota-state-bison

It would have been fun to see how much noise that team would have made in the FCS playoffs.

word
July 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM

Shhhhh........Champions are talking.

Professor Chaos
July 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
NDSU will be the favorite to win the national title but even at that I would say the chances are somewhere in the 25-35% range that they will. There's too much uncertainty when a single play can knock you out of the whole thing once playoff time rolls around.

NDSU is the favorite but the smart money would be on the field if given the choice between NDSU or the field. Having said that my homer money is on NDSU.

Go Bison
July 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php

It's a simulator website, and I ran ASU against NDSU.

ASU as home team: Appalachian St.(2007) wins 68 of 100 matchups against North Dakota St.(2007)

NDSU as home team: North Dakota St.(2007) wins 60 of 100 matchups against Appalachian St.(2007)

There is another simulator website for college football, but I can't find it or remember the name. The site was posted here several years back, but I can't find it.

The 2006 Bison team was better than the 2007 version. Using 2006 NDSU vs 2006 ASU shows:

ASU as home team: NDSU wins 57 out of 100 times score 23-21
NDSU as home teams: NDSU wins 70 out of 100 times score 25-19.

TheRevSFA
July 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
I think NDSU will be favored, but I think EWU will be there against them in Frisco.

AmsterBison
July 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I think NDSU will be favored, but I think EWU will be there against them in Frisco.

That would be awesome.

BisonFan02
July 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM

That would be great. More seats for us!

Gil Dobie
July 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
That would be great. most of the seats for us!

FIFY

Lehigh'98
July 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
As has been said, it will most likely come down to home field in the playoffs. If you guys can go 9-2 with 1 loss to K-State, you should get home field throughout. 2 conference losses and I don't see a three peat. If you lose to Ferris St, you should forfeit the rest of the season.

Bisonator
July 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
NDSU will be the favorite to win the national title but even at that I would say the chances are somewhere in the 25-35% range that they will. There's too much uncertainty when a single play can knock you out of the whole thing once playoff time rolls around.

NDSU is the favorite but the smart money would be on the field if given the choice between NDSU or the field. Having said that my homer money is on NDSU.

This. Pretty tough to win 2 in a row, the odds are against 3. That said my money is on the 3 peat! GO BISON!!!

Bisonator
July 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
As has been said, it will most likely come down to home field in the playoffs. If you guys can go 9-2 with 1 loss to K-State, you should get home field throughout. 2 conference losses and I don't see a three peat. If you lose to Ferris St, you should forfeit the rest of the season.

Agreed. On all counts! xnodx

cmaxwellgsu
July 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
I would say the odds are great at this point, but the Bison are going to need to keep getting the good luck they've had as they have been blessed with losing few key players to injury. I don't see a chance of stagnancy for them, as they appear to be a well oiled machine that just grinds out wins rather than putting up flashy numbers from a few superstars. I will admit that it's tough to swallow that we don't get the chance to avenge last year's heartbreaker....

gotts
July 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
NDSU stands a better chance to lose games at home than on the road, if the last two seasons are any indication.

geaux_sioux
July 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM

EWU doesn't have the high flying 3 headed monster at WR this year though... I think last year EWU had the best chance outside of GSU to beat NDSU. GSU was the only team that could actually run on NDSU and score and I think EWU would've been able to pass on them and get a few broken plays from that lightning quick qb.

dewey
July 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
EWU doesn't have the high flying 3 headed monster at WR this year though... I think last year EWU had the best chance outside of GSU to beat NDSU. GSU was the only team that could actually run on NDSU and score and I think EWU would've been able to pass on them and get a few broken plays from that lightning quick qb.

Dang it you are a Sioux fan so stop saying things that I agree with, LOL!!!

Dewey

BisonFan02
July 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM

EWU lost to SHSU...at home on Tampax field. NDSU played both teams that had a shot with Wofford and Georgia Southern. The other half of the bracket was garbage compared to the side the Bison played through.

BisonFan02
July 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM

Also, ODU scared me more than EWU did.

Hammerhead
July 23rd, 2013, 05:15 PM
Georgia Southern played a better game their 2nd trip to Fargo. The 2012 semifinal game was one of the most taxing to watch as a fan. I'd put it up there with the Vikings losing the 1998 NFC championship although my team came out on top this time.

It's too bad we won't have the opportunity to see them meet again in the playoffs.

Bisonwinagn
July 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
I think the biggest challenge will be playing against Missouri Valley teams in the playoffs. It's almost guaranteed we will play SDSU or UNI in the first round if they don't get seeded and home field won't mean a lot. I hate conference matchups in the playoffs and hope the committee isn't as stupid as last year. I would like them to seed all playoff teams and play a true tournament.

Thundar
July 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM

but without the few big yard pass plays they wouldn't have had the field position

geaux_sioux
July 23rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
EWU lost to SHSU...at home on Tampax field. NDSU played both teams that had a shot with Wofford and Georgia Southern. The other half of the bracket was garbage compared to the side the Bison played through.
If you look at how the game went and not just the final score you'd notice that SHSU escaped by the skin of their teeth thanks to a horribly slow 1st half by EWU with ineffective QB play by the starter. Once they switched QBs they tore SHSU up and scored 42 points in the second half. EWU was better than Sam Houston last year. They got lucky that they caught them in a game with a terrible first half and escaped after EWU exploded in the second half. EWU was the other team that could have beaten NDSU in the playoffs.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
If you look at how the game went and not just the final score you'd notice that SHSU escaped by the skin of their teeth thanks to a horribly slow 1st half by EWU with ineffective QB play by the starter. Once they switched QBs they tore SHSU up and scored 42 points in the second half. EWU was better than Sam Houston last year. They got lucky that they caught them in a game with a terrible first half and escaped after EWU exploded in the second half. EWU was the other team that could have beaten NDSU in the playoffs.

Same thing happened with SHSU the year before. They ran up a big score in the 1st half against Montana I think and they almost came back.

geaux_sioux
July 23rd, 2013, 10:03 PM
Same thing happened with SHSU the year before. They ran up a big score in the 1st half against Montana I think and they almost came back.

Montana scored 14 points in the second half vs EWUs 42.... sure they came back but they were in the game at halftime unlike EWU. Also EWU came back after a switch at QB while Montana didn't change things up. I'm making the case that an EWU team with Adams at QB for the whole game could have given NDSU all they could handle at the very least. SHSU was probably the 4th best team in the bracket last year.

Thundar
July 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Montana scored 14 points in the second half vs EWUs 42.... sure they came back but they were in the game at halftime unlike EWU. Also EWU came back after a switch at QB while Montana didn't change things up. I'm making the case that an EWU team with Adams at QB for the whole game could have given NDSU all they could handle at the very least. SHSU was probably the 4th best team in the bracket last year.

he was talking about 2011 when SHSU bitch slapped Montana in the first half but almost blew it in the second

geaux_sioux
July 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
he was talking about 2011 when SHSU bitch slapped Montana in the first half but almost blew it in the second

I am well aware. That's why I said Montana scored 14 second half points against SHSU......... in 2011. Montana only outscored Sam Houston by 11 pts vs EWU outscoring them by 32 in the second half. EWU was the team that got bitch slapped in the first half, Montana was only down 14 at half.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I'll try again...

My ranking of last postseason teams:

1) NDSU
2) GSU
3) ODU
4a) Wofford
4b) SHSU
5) The rest

I didn't see anything from the Big Sky teams that impressed me at all last season....call me crazy I guess.

Twentysix
July 24th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I'll try again...

My ranking of last postseason teams:

1) NDSU
2) GSU
3) ODU
4a) Wofford
4b) SHSU
5) The rest

I didn't see anything from the Big Sky teams that impressed me at all last season....call me crazy I guess.

The insane lack of defense makes it really hard to judge big sky teams. Granted, I am a defense oriented football fanatic. Give me a 6-3 game that is a 60 minute struggle any day ;).

The NDSU win over KU was one of my favorite games ever, and our offense was pretty horrible at that point, which really attributed to KU's holding us to 6 points, but still, it's one of my favs.

344Johnson
July 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM

You are going to say a team outscoring the other team by 32 in the 2nd half, and still lost is better? No. EWU got blasted when the game was close, and gave up points when it got close again. NDSU would have b*tchslapped EWU around the field for 60 minutes in Frisco. If you want to beat NDSU, you need to have some semblance of a defense. EWU doesn't have that.

Only teams who really impressed me were Georgia Southern and Wofford. Old Dominion would have been interesting too, but the only fun thing about playing EWU would be seeing by how many points NDSU would have won.

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2013, 10:00 AM
SHSU had a nasty habit the last year of outscoring their opponents in the first half, then getting utterly destroyed in the second halves.

I will go back and look at the stats and give you a breakdown of just playoff games:

2012 Season Playoffs - Sam Houston was outscored by 63 points in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

geaux_sioux
July 26th, 2013, 10:29 AM
You are going to say a team outscoring the other team by 32 in the 2nd half, and still lost is better? No. EWU got blasted when the game was close, and gave up points when it got close again. NDSU would have b*tchslapped EWU around the field for 60 minutes in Frisco. If you want to beat NDSU, you need to have some semblance of a defense. EWU doesn't have that.

Only teams who really impressed me were Georgia Southern and Wofford. Old Dominion would have been interesting too, but the only fun thing about playing EWU would be seeing by how many points NDSU would have won.

I'm sure you thought Wofford was going to get steam rolled by the mighty bison before that game. How'd that work out? EWU was capable of passing on NDSU last season.

dewey
July 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Just so I understand we are talking about who would have given NDSU a better game? Boy the season needs to get here quick.

Dewey

dewey
July 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm sure you thought Wofford was going to get steam rolled by the mighty bison before that game. How'd that work out?

In the end NDSU won and that is all that matters in the playoffs.

Dewey

344Johnson
July 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm sure you thought Wofford was going to get steam rolled by the mighty bison before that game. How'd that work out? EWU was capable of passing on NDSU last season.

I figured Wofford would keep it within a couple scores. EWU got dominated by Sam Houston. IF Sam Houston decides to continue playing defense, they win that game by 30 points. EWU, nor any Big Sky team last season, was capable of staying on the field with NDSU for 4 quarters.

AmsterBison
July 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM

The Wofford game was close because they played stout defense and, based on the new shiny trophy NDSU picked up, it worked out pretty well.

EWU gave up over 400 yards rushing to Sam Houston State. Maybe you are under the impression that the FCS is a 7-on-7 passing league (your coaching staff certainly is), but if it was, Illinois State would have been playing SHSU, not EWU.

Plenty of teams could or did give NDSU good games: SHSU, Wofford, SDSU, Montana State, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, for example. ODU and EWU? Don't think so. Gotta play defense.

Sam_Kats
July 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Eh - doesn't matter. NDSU beat SHSU 2 years in a row for the National Title. The other "if's, should have's & could have been's" are all moot points.

Thundar
July 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
The other "if's, should have's & could have been's" are all moot points.

Exactly............

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2013, 04:16 PM
just beat Kansas State first

gumby013
July 26th, 2013, 04:32 PM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ba38455cbd0cc90f575cee3c0e3014 e7&board=3.0

Join in on the fun messing with KSU fans.

Squealofthepig
July 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM
http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ba38455cbd0cc90f575cee3c0e3014 e7&board=3.0

Join in on the fun messing with KSU fans.

Deservedly so - the thread is "'Cats -17.5 vs Northern Dakota Buffaloes"

Northern Dakota Buffaloes - Alrighty, let's all agree to call Kansas State the Jayhawks for this one.

Vitojr130
July 26th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Deservedly so - the thread is "'Cats -17.5 vs Northern Dakota Buffaloes"

Northern Dakota Buffaloes - Alrighty, let's all agree to call Kansas State the Jayhawks for this one.

I find it cute. I also think a lot of Jayhawk-Juniors will be crappin' their pants come the 4th quarter on Aug. 30th.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM

What are you talking about?

Wofford was a very good team and most Bison fans acknowledged that. BTW...they scored on a pick 6.

I'll take a very good fundamentally sound defense over a flashy gun slinging offense any day.