PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Blitz's Overview and Predictions For SoCon 2013

SU DOG
July 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I missed this if it has already been posted, so hopefully it hasn't. I can't put much faith into an article that says Samford was in the 1994 playoffs. With a 4-6-1 record that year, we were a long way from being a playoff team. Also, any list that doesn't include Samford Safety Jaquiski Tartt on the SoCon First Team Defense is very suspect. I will say this, however, the UTC Fans should totally love this article.

http://saturdayblitz.com/2013/07/16/2013-southern-conference-football-overview-and-predictions/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Next%2FPrevious

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2013, 01:18 AM
Good pick. I questioned him after I saw no Derrick Lott on the 1st team defense but Tolerance Shepherd is a great pick for newcomer of the year. That kid is about to electrify this offense.

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2013, 01:22 AM
I missed this if it has already been posted, so hopefully it hasn't. I can't put much faith into an article that says Samford was in the 1994 playoffs. With a 4-6-1 record that year, we were a long way from being a playoff team. Also, any list that doesn't include Samford Safety Jaquiski Tartt on the SoCon First Team Defense is very suspect. I will say this, however, the UTC Fans should totally love this article.

http://saturdayblitz.com/2013/07/16/2013-southern-conference-football-overview-and-predictions/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Next%2FPrevious

What's not to love? Anybody picking Samford to win the league over us is obviously just trying to find a reason not to pick us. Your offense is boring and your defense just lost 6 guys off of the starting unit.

SU DOG
July 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
The UTC offense wasn't exactly a juggernaut itself last season finishing ahead of only Western in yds./gm. average you know. Our "boring" offense actually outgained UTC in the close 7 point loss(the week after the last minute loss to App) at Chatty. As for our defense losing 6 starters, that is true, but somewhat misleading, as several different players actually started in different games. From the spring, I can tell you that I expect our defense to be faster and more athletic than last season. As for this season, I just don't make brash predictions, and I have seen nowhere that Samford has been picked to win the conference. After considering the track record of this Mocs Man's continuing outlandish predictions, however, I am definitely encouraged.

bjtheflamesfan
July 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM
I've said this in another thread but UTC has yet to show that they have the mental fortitude to get over the hump and take the brass ring in the SoCon. Their only "quality win" last year was over The Citadel. but offset by losses to an App State team that you yourself said would mean the "death of a dynasty" (do I have to link to the thread in case you forgot), a TRIPLE OVERTIME loss to Georgia Southern and an overtime loss to Wofford. The games that probably will determine the direction of the season for UTC will be the roadies to App State (where the Mocs haven't won since 1983) and GaSou (where they have only one win in series history in 2007) and home games against The Citadel (who will be seriously jonesing for payback for that loss last year) and Wofford (the closest of the four in recent history with the Mocs holding a 2-3 record in the last five meetings in Chattanooga). To have a chance, UTC is going to have to I believe go 3-1 or 4-0 against those four teams (which I believe has never happened in school history). With two top two teams not even eligible for the autobid this year, anything around .500 (5-7, 6-6, 7-5) isnt going to cut the mustard.

CID1990
July 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM
This was a poorly researched article. He got the finish correct but he blindly stumbled into it. The author works off of talent alone (like Chattown) but takes none of the intangibles into account.

Plus, he must've turned off the boob tube int the third quarter in the ASU-Citadel game, because he gave us an extra 3 points. That's a field goal, and everybody knows the theme of the day was not "Field goal Citadel!!"

Sent from the center of the universe.