PDA

View Full Version : How strong is your team in the weight room?

Seabiscuit
July 17th, 2013, 08:33 PM
The offseason is the time to prepare the body for rigorous battle over a long season and the strongest usually survive? Tell us about your team.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 17th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Our team lifted the school library and moved it across campus. They are that damn strong.

BisonFan02
July 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
http://youtu.be/HGYqPpwXgEI?t=2m18s

Start video at 2:18...

NDSU's Strength and Conditioning Coach Jim Kramer....start strong, finish stronger! Big reason for the success of the program.

gabe01
July 18th, 2013, 01:03 AM
http://youtu.be/HGYqPpwXgEI?t=2m18s

Start video at 2:18...

NDSU's Strength and Conditioning Coach Jim Kramer....start strong, finish stronger! Big reason for the success of the program.

I think speed and conditioning trump strength in Bison nation. But we are pretty strong too.

seantaylor
July 18th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I can say without a doubt we have one of the very best S&C coaches on any level. Tom Melton is a true guinea.

skinny_uncle
July 18th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Good question. We definitely have the facility for them to work out. The Troutt-Wittman Center was opened in 2005. There is a picture gallery at http://www.siusalukis.com/view.gal?id=142454 for anyone interested in seeing it.

Tribe4SF
July 18th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Tribe built a new aspect into offseason conditioning this year. Our S&C Coach is John "Rock" Sauer who is a legend at W&M.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=25100&id=1946806&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=606208&SPID=80810&DB_OEM_ID=25100

knucklehead
July 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Liberty's S&C Coach is a Legend. Bill Gillespie http://www.liberty.edu/flames/?PID=10867&CoachID=736&TeamID=9. He was the S&C Coach for the U Washington and Seahawks for a while but came back to his Alma-Mater and is the best. He is a powerLifter himself and a world record holder. Check this Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAaXSvEkw5k

Anyway, LU's weight facilities are top notch. Pics here: http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=14879&TeamID=9 Note: if you watch the video, it is old. Plus - it has Samantha Ponder in it when she was Samantha Steele. Minus - the Ops Center has been majorly renovated since then. The weight room is still pretty much the same, but most of the rest is different especially the locker room.

Bisonator
July 18th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I think speed and conditioning trump strength in Bison nation. But we are pretty strong too.

I agree. "Weight room strength" only gets you so far. You need conditioning and most importantly technique on the field!

bjtheflamesfan
July 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I can say without a doubt we have one of the very best S&C coaches on any level. Tom Melton is a true guinea.

Definitely think Melton and Bill Gillespie at Liberty (who knucklehead mentioned above) are both very much in the discussion.

darell1976
July 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXq29Qr-GB8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUopPMxeBUv6S_WzBtso4aAA

NoDak 4 Ever
July 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Stronger than yours.

CrazyCat
July 18th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I think this will be Alex Wilcox's 2nd full season with MSU and every indication is that he has greatly improved every facet of the strength program. I don't know much about them but he was named Samson Equipment's FCS Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year for 2012. MSU is currently getting an estimated $1.3 million upgrade and expansion of the weight and training rooms.

geaux_sioux
July 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Our weight room isn't much to look at but the equipment is extremely nice and the coaching is as good as it gets. Watch our lifting videos and you will see perfect form on all Olympic lifts which is a rarity at all levels of football. Our weight room is in the 100 year old Memorial Stadium so it's not the nicest but it is ours. Also with the construction of the IPF there will be a new kickass weoghtroom included in phase two.

Mattymc727
July 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXq29Qr-GB8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUopPMxeBUv6S_WzBtso4aAA

Interestingly enough, UNH's Strength and Conditioning coach for the last 12 years is Paul Chapman. Who was UND's director of strength and conditioning from 1992-2001. I had no idea.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/athleticsDept/directory/bios/Paul_Chapman

MplsBison
July 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM

The new weight room in the IPF will be a greatly deserved and from the looks of it, needed improvement.

(note: I'm not talking about the equipment itself, rather the space/room/facility)

MplsBison
July 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM
There isn't a DI program in the country that isn't doing squats and some form of olympic lifting.

The more interesting parts of strength & conditioning programs, to me, are what "non-standard" features the coach tries to work in.

One thing that I think is awesome is the Tennessee Tech program incorporates "CrossFit" fundamentals into their program. The defending men's world champion at CrossFit (the sport) was a S&C coach at TT, where I believe he played baseball.

Hammerhead
July 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
C'mon now. Coloring books aren't that heavy. :)

Our team lifted the school library and moved it across campus. They are that damn strong.

gumby013
July 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Our 45lb plates weight more than your 45lb plates?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Our 45lb plates weight more than your 45lb plates?

Nope, same. The other guys just think theirs weigh more.

eaglewraith
July 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
There isn't a DI program in the country that isn't doing squats and some form of olympic lifting.

The more interesting parts of strength & conditioning programs, to me, are what "non-standard" features the coach tries to work in.

One thing that I think is awesome is the Tennessee Tech program incorporates "CrossFit" fundamentals into their program. The defending men's world champion at CrossFit (the sport) was a S&C coach at TT, where I believe he played baseball.

Melton has a lot of Crossfit type elements in the program at Georgia Southern, mainly during the summer. Not sure about during the season and spring.

bjtheflamesfan
July 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Liberty put in a sand training pit similar to the one they use out at the Naval Special Warfare Center in Coronado, CA

lionsrking2
July 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM

I don't doubt you one bit. Our new strength coach, Brandon Howard, came from Georgia Southern and was apparently trained very well. He got here during the middle of the 2012 season and we're already seeing significant strength and weight increases across the board, as well speed gains. As an example, we had less than 20 guys power cleaning 300+ before he got here, now were pushing 50, with several more on the cusp. It's amazing what the right guy in that position can do for your program.

BEAR
July 18th, 2013, 01:31 PM
We have a fairly new weight room...but what I like to see in the effort department is those linemen running up and down the stands in 100 degree heat lifting their own weight...but here's CJ to give you a look at a workout..with those 45lb weights...10 of them. xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJCM0D_ki8

clenz
July 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Probably pretty strong....I would assume

Jed Smith is well respected in the strength and conditioning field

Smith has a wide and varied background in strength and conditioning training. Prior to coming to the Cedar Valley, he was the explosive strength training coach for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. He has also assisted with the Minnesota Wild of the National Hockey League, the Minnesota Thunder of the United Soccer League and Penn State football in an effort to incorporate explosive strength training into their individual programs.
Beginning in June of 2002, he was an exercise and sports science instructor at Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount, Minn. He also served as the Minnesota USA Weightlifting Regional Training Center director during the same time frame. He had several coaching assignments at Rosemount High School, including ninth grade boy's basketball and wrestling, starting in 1996. He served as Rosemount's strength training and conditioning coach for all sports from 1997-2002, was head boy's tennis coach from 2000-02, and coached the school's Olympic weight lifting from 1999-2002.
Smith is still heavily involved in the sport of Olympic weightlifting. He coached former UNI football player Jason Fiacco, who made the Pan American team in the spring of 2006. Fiacco represented Team USA in Cali, Colombia, where he took home a bronze medal.

BisonFan02
July 18th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Flannel Fridays! :D

geaux_sioux
July 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
As far as individual strength goes UND is pretty good. Our all time squat record is 725lbs which is incredible. We currently have over 10 players squatting over 500lbs (not all are linemen). Two years ago we had a player in Broc Belmore who cleaned 402 lbs and made it look very easy. He also snatched 275 lbs like nothing and squat maxed 585. Not bad considering he was a 260lb DE. This year a FR WR broke the bench record with a new mark of 370lbs. Nearly as impressive was the fact that Greg Hardin (170lbs) benched 305lbs. A testament to a good S&C program is individual progression and this winter our S&C coach tweeted that out of 394 opportunities the team had 362 PR's.

Nova09
July 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM

I call shenanigans, you're not in the south!

EKU-n-GSU
July 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Melton has a lot of Crossfit type elements in the program at Georgia Southern, mainly during the summer. Not sure about during the season and spring.

Garrett was heavily recruited by TT and at our visit, they were rightfully proud of their new training center/weight room facilities. They had a dumpy stadium, but they were obviously invested in getting better through hard work, not appearances. From what Garrett has said about GSU's 'non-traditional' training methods, there are a lot of cross-fit type activities, along with a lot of hand-eye coordination training as well. Melton and his staff do a fantastic job of working strength, speed, agility, and vision into the program.

PaladinNation
July 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Furman's had very good strength coaches and they've all moved on to bigger programs… Joey Batson - Clemson. And we have another good one David Abernethy; senior assistant strength training and conditioning coach at Clemson for seven years, director of strength & conditioning for Western Kentucky University (2003-05).

Link to the weight room; http://www.furmanpaladins.com/athletics/facilities/strength_and_conditioning_center

Video from last year as Abernethy started to put in his program;
http://youtu.be/5bMKUyV3O34

Seabiscuit
July 18th, 2013, 08:31 PM
As far as individual strength goes UND is pretty good. Our all time squat record is 725lbs which is incredible. We currently have over 10 players squatting over 500lbs (not all are linemen). Two years ago we had a player in Broc Belmore who cleaned 402 lbs and made it look very easy. He also snatched 275 lbs like nothing and squat maxed 585. Not bad considering he was a 260lb DE. This year a FR WR broke the bench record with a new mark of 370lbs. Nearly as impressive was the fact that Greg Hardin (170lbs) benched 305lbs. A testament to a good S&C program is individual progression and this winter our S&C coach tweeted that out of 394 opportunities the team had 362 PR's.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

McNeese75
July 18th, 2013, 09:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VCw8t87i0

Who knows xconfusedx

geaux_sioux
July 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Furman's had very good strength coaches and they've all moved on to bigger programs… Joey Batson - Clemson. And we have another good one David Abernethy; senior assistant strength training and conditioning coach at Clemson for seven years, director of strength & conditioning for Western Kentucky University (2003-05).

Link to the weight room; http://www.furmanpaladins.com/athletics/facilities/strength_and_conditioning_center

Video from last year as Abernethy started to put in his program;
http://youtu.be/5bMKUyV3O34

Clemson does have world renown S&C coaching for their world class athletes as evidence by this video. Picture perfect form all around on the olympic lifts.

http://youtu.be/cXzE-XTESFk

Horrible clean form, no squat depth, and benching with boards..... all with gloves on???? C'MON MAN

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Clemson does have world renown S&C coaching for their world class athletes as evidence by this video. Picture perfect form all around on the olympic lifts.

Horrible clean form, no squat depth, and benching with boards..... all with gloves on???? C'MON MAN

Ya, that is pretty bad. The Clemson weight room also isn't very nice for a program of their stature.

The UND guys had excellent clean and especially snatch form. Quite impressive for college football players, so it seems like your S&C staff is doing something right.

EKU-n-GSU
July 19th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Hmmm...and I thought Melton was of English origin, not Italian...xsmiley_wix

slostang
July 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM
As of yesterday Cal Poly's weight room is temporarily outside as they are doing a complete renovation of their weight room including new flooring and equipment. Good thing the weather is in the mid 70's as the teams are lifting outside during renovations. It is very much needed.

EKU-n-GSU
July 19th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Agree on the clean form and squat depth, but benching w/o letting your arms go down to full retraction is tough. Still, the video isn't too impressive - then again, maybe that what they want you to see...

Canyoncat
July 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Garrett was heavily recruited by TT and at our visit, they were rightfully proud of their new training center/weight room facilities. They had a dumpy stadium, but they were obviously invested in getting better through hard work, not appearances. From what Garrett has said about GSU's 'non-traditional' training methods, there are a lot of cross-fit type activities, along with a lot of hand-eye coordination training as well. Melton and his staff do a fantastic job of working strength, speed, agility, and vision into the program.

I've been doing Crossfit for two years now and for me it is hands down the best training I have ever experienced. Our local high schools (Helena High & Capital High) are sending athletes over to train with us during the summer.

Franks Tanks
July 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I've been doing Crossfit for two years now and for me it is hands down the best training I have ever experienced. Our local high schools (Helena High & Capital High) are sending athletes over to train with us during the summer.

Much of what is done in Cross-fit has beena staple of football S&C programs for ages. Especially the olympic lifts, power lifts and plyo stuff.

Cross Fit is good, especially in the sense that it exposes regular people to "real" lifting which is a much better use of their time than fiddling around with some stupid machine. My beef with Cross Fit is some of the "speed" or training to failure on certain lifts. Having someone perform snatches or cleans for speed and to exaustion is stupid and dangerous. Those lifts should be performed with high concentration will full effort and energy, and not as an aerobic exercise where form can degrade and injury can occur.

For example today's workout is

15 foot Rope climb, 5 ascents
145 pound Clean and jerk, 5 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 4 ascents
165 pound Clean and jerk, 4 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents
185 pound Clean and jerk, 3 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 2 ascents
205 pound Clean and jerk, 2 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 1 ascent
225 pound Clean and jerk, 1 rep

It is really stupid to clean and jerk when winded. It is a recipe for injury. I love how cross fit combines aerobic and anerobic exercies together, but C &J do not belong in workouts of this nature.

Panther88
July 19th, 2013, 11:26 AM

That bench by the 170lber of 305lbs is overly impressive! That type competitivity is most desired (in the weight room txlated to the gridiron). Kudos.

I cannot comment on what Prairie View A&M University does @ the moment lol. Ask me about some of the local high schools, I can most DEFINITELY tell you what they are doing in the weightroom lol.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Judging by the Eleiko bumper plates in the video, it looks like UND's football strength coach has a pretty good experience with olympic lifting.

Cleans, jerks and snatch - when done in the true olympic style (not "power" versions) - are the best types of lifts any athlete can do.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Not that I disagree...but you have to keep something in mind. A lot of their players come from SC, which means they most likely came from very poor, rural backgrounds. It's possible that they never even lifted weights in high school - feeling it not necessary or perhaps that speed was more important.

To expect perfect squat form, let along form on olympic lifts right out of the gate is impossible.

MplsBison
July 19th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Much of what is done in Cross-fit has beena staple of football S&C programs for ages. Especially the olympic lifts, power lifts and plyo stuff.

Cross Fit is good, especially in the sense that it exposes regular people to "real" lifting which is a much better use of their time than fiddling around with some stupid machine. My beef with Cross Fit is some of the "speed" or training to failure on certain lifts. Having someone perform snatches or cleans for speed and to exaustion is stupid and dangerous. Those lifts should be performed with high concentration will full effort and energy, and not as an aerobic exercise where form can degrade and injury can occur.

For example today's workout is

15 foot Rope climb, 5 ascents
145 pound Clean and jerk, 5 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 4 ascents
165 pound Clean and jerk, 4 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents
185 pound Clean and jerk, 3 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 2 ascents
205 pound Clean and jerk, 2 reps
15 foot Rope climb, 1 ascent
225 pound Clean and jerk, 1 rep

It is really stupid to clean and jerk when winded. It is a recipe for injury. I love how cross fit combines aerobic and anerobic exercies together, but C &J do not belong in workouts of this nature.

100% with you on this.

Unfortunately, the "fad" has exploded which has led to many new gyms opening up and trying to basically copy the main site style workouts or do what they see on TV.

"Normal" people don't need to be doing rope climbs, period. As you say, exposure to olympic lifting should be done in a very controlled format, which most emphasis on learning technique.

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM
A couple good videos.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/nqzkcdvcfakjdrdonrzhzwqlz?sa=0

http://youtu.be/SaGgqz8xXAI

World
July 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM
^^^Excellent, is Bellmore a lineman?

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
^^^Excellent, is Bellmore a lineman?

He was a DE. Graduated in 2010 but he was obviously a beast in the weight room and was a run stuffing machine and field goal block artist on the field.

World
July 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Ok, thanks

this is a new running back transfer at Illinois State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZqEfyDgHk

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Ok, thanks

this is a new running back transfer at Illinois State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZqEfyDgHk

That is terrible form..... the guy is defiantly strong but he won't have much cartilage or MCL integrity if he keeps that form up. Here is a video of Mitch Sutton who graduated last year. He was our power RB and weighs about 215lbs.

http://youtu.be/sVsFvFrq0m8

SU DOG
July 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Facility-wise, we are fortunate to have a state-of-the-art football only weight room. Coach Davis is in his second year at Samford, and came to us from Bama. Notice at the end of this video that nutrition is also an important part of his S&C workout. Called the Fourth Quarter Program, our team was only outscored twice last year(GSU and Kentucky) in the second half. We know we have a very good one in Coach Davis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEDg6NG3sg

eaglewraith
July 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM
100% with you on this.

Unfortunately, the "fad" has exploded which has led to many new gyms opening up and trying to basically copy the main site style workouts or do what they see on TV.

"Normal" people don't need to be doing rope climbs, period. As you say, exposure to olympic lifting should be done in a very controlled format, which most emphasis on learning technique.

Unfortunately Crossfit has exploded in popularity because of it being "unusual" in the way it puts together workouts. This was their main staple when trying to break through, and now CF HQ seems to feel like they have to get crazier to keep that image. Some of the WoD's I've seen on the mainpage are borderline insane even for someone in great shape. A good box will have an instructor that recognizes the abilities of his members and tune the workouts for what they can do while maxing out what they can do in strength and metcon workouts.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2013, 08:12 PM
He was a DE. Graduated in 2010 but he was obviously a beast in the weight room and was a run stuffing machine and field goal block artist on the field.

And FWIW, when you say "DE" - you really mean he was a DT who lined head-up or shaded inside on the OT, correct?

Because I assume UND still plays that staunch 3-4, run-stuffing defensive alignment for the front seven.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM
That is terrible form..... the guy is defiantly strong but he won't have much cartilage or MCL integrity if he keeps that form up. Here is a video of Mitch Sutton who graduated last year. He was our power RB and weighs about 215lbs.

No kidding. I can't stand seeing the legs shoot way out like that. It's not only terrible form, it's downright dangerous. You can tell they do not emphasize olympic lifting by the equipment they have for it.

I really have a new respect for UND's strength coach teaching proper, olympic lifting technique with those guys in the videos. Sutton's pull wasn't the greatest but the catch and front squat was very solid.

Bellmore has amazing form on the entire lift, especially for throwing around that much weight!! Do you know if he competes in C&J and Snatch at any local meets?

MplsBison
July 20th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately Crossfit has exploded in popularity because of it being "unusual" in the way it puts together workouts. This was their main staple when trying to break through, and now CF HQ seems to feel like they have to get crazier to keep that image. Some of the WoD's I've seen on the mainpage are borderline insane even for someone in great shape. A good box will have an instructor that recognizes the abilities of his members and tune the workouts for what they can do while maxing out what they can do in strength and metcon workouts.

Again, 100% agree.

For most people, you don't need to do a bunch of crazy stuff to get a great strength workout and follow it up with a great, hard 10-15 metcon that emphasizes great technique and will minimize opportunities for injury.

Now of course, if you truly have someone exceptional that can compete in the sport - yes you do need to train more movements. But most people don't even really need to learn kipping pullups. Why put your shoulders at that kind of risk if you're not competing? Etc.

geaux_sioux
July 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM
And FWIW, when you say "DE" - you really mean he was a DT who lined head-up or shaded inside on the OT, correct?

Because I assume UND still plays that staunch 3-4, run-stuffing defensive alignment for the front seven.

We do. And when he dropped 40lbs and moved from NT to DE our run defense was outstanding. We need our young DEs to stuff the run like him and eat up blockers for the LBs. Last season the line of scrimmage was a weakness on defense for UND.

World
July 21st, 2013, 02:30 AM

Oh, ok, thanks for the info. The Illinois State RB is a little bigger than your 215 lb RB Sutton. He is 6'3" 270 lbs.

Twentysix
July 21st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Oh, ok, thanks for the info. The Illinois State RB is a little bigger than your 215 lb RB Sutton. He is 6'3" 270 lbs.

I am curious to see how this works for you. I am a huge fan of smash mouth RB's. Some of my favorite plays were when Tyler Roehl would destroy the defender attempting to tackle him, usually a CB because the LB's and DL had missed already.

heath
July 21st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Most schools lift for bulk and power. Just add 30 lbs to that freshman and................Some schools teach football moves technique/reps in the weight room. Agility and quickness vs big and strong. Seen it work both ways,but its always fun to watch those strength and conditioning videos. Personally,I think Liberty has spent too much time in the weight room,not enough in the class/film room.

World
July 21st, 2013, 03:00 PM
I am curious to see how this works for you. I am a huge fan of smash mouth RB's. Some of my favorite plays were when Tyler Roehl would destroy the defender attempting to tackle him, usually a CB because the LB's and DL had missed already.

This RB is so fast that usually he is past the DB's before they know it. So much of his game is speed.

Marcus Williams, meet Illinois State RB Collin Keoshian

Redbird Recon
July 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
It's Division I football. Everyone has new facilities with gold trim, a superhero disguised as a S&C coach, guys squatting an entire dorm, etc... NDSU is the best because of the football they play. Williams makes a third of the field unthrowable, and the linebacking core can cover sideline to sideline. Rarely do they miss assignments, and they make routine plays routinely. The rest of this is a d*** measuring contest.

eaglewraith
July 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
It's Division I football. Everyone has new facilities with gold trim, a superhero disguised as a S&C coach, guys squatting an entire dorm, etc... NDSU is the best because of the football they play. Williams makes a third of the field unthrowable, and the linebacking core can cover sideline to sideline. Rarely do they miss assignments, and they make routine plays routinely. The rest of this is a d*** measuring contest.

Strength and conditioning is a primary reason for success. Without it, the game you play will be in vain. I imagine NDSU has an excellent program that contributes to their success on the football field. That's mainly what people are talking about here. Relax. It's a pretty good topic of conversation for the offseason and there's been a lot of good conversation in this thread.

geaux_sioux
July 22nd, 2013, 10:17 AM

How strong are some of your players? I'd assume a guy like Schaetz would be a beast in the weight room. And yes I realize weight room strength and functional football strength are two different things.

Redbird Recon
July 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
How strong are some of your players? I'd assume a guy like Schaetz would be a beast in the weight room. And yes I realize weight room strength and functional football strength are two different things.
I'm not a Bison fan.

geaux_sioux
July 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not a Bison fan.

I see that now... didn't even look at your name. Question still stands for any bison fans.

BEAR
July 22nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/970999_574692732582018_907039809_n.jpg

BEAR
July 23rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
It's so tough that VICIOUS stopped by to check it out...
Via twitter:

justinburdette FINAO ‏@j_burdezzy82 14h
@VICIOUSortiz came by the weight room today and saw a little bit of #UCAFOOTBALL putting in work!

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/thumb/c/c5/Victor_Ortiz.jpg/225px-Victor_Ortiz.jpg

EKU-n-GSU
July 24th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Along with some cross-fit training, we have a couple of Iron-Man competitions during the off-season to see how the team has progressed. The following list represents their competition from this morning:

• 10 yard monkey bar traverse
• Push a 200 lb. wheelbarrow 20 yards up a hill and back down
• Sprint 30 yards o a 250 lb. tractor tire and flip it twice
• Raise four concrete ‘atlas’ stones to a 48”H platform – 175 lbs., 200 lbs., 225 lbs., 250 lbs.
• Zigzag bear crawl for 35 yards
• Throw three medicine balls over the goal posts from various distances
• Back-pedal dragging a 200 lb. sled 30 yards x 2 directions
• 15 yds. High-step over tackling dummies
• 40 yard dash
• 2 x 25 yard sprints carrying two 60-lb. dumbbells
• Push a golf cart 50 yards

No stopping between stations - cumulative timing and complete/incomplete points. Better them than me...

Sam I Am
July 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Along with some cross-fit training, we have a couple of Iron-Man competitions during the off-season to see how the team has progressed. The following list represents their competition from this morning:

• 10 yard monkey bar traverse
• Push a 200 lb. wheelbarrow 20 yards up a hill and back down
• Sprint 30 yards o a 250 lb. tractor tire and flip it twice
• Raise four concrete ‘atlas’ stones to a 48”H platform – 175 lbs., 200 lbs., 225 lbs., 250 lbs.
• Zigzag bear crawl for 35 yards
• Throw three medicine balls over the goal posts from various distances
• Back-pedal dragging a 200 lb. sled 30 yards x 2 directions
• 15 yds. High-step over tackling dummies
• 40 yard dash
• 2 x 25 yard sprints carrying two 60-lb. dumbbells
• Push a golf cart 50 yards

No stopping between stations - cumulative timing and complete/incomplete points. Better them than me...

My heart rate would be maxed out after the second exercise!

LeadBolt
July 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Our team is so strong and fast the offense has to pick up the entire Laycocke Center, including the weight room and move it 100 yards each day in under 11 seconds and the defense has to bring it back in under 11 seconds twice before practice is over.