PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele preseason FCS all-american teams

gobears14
July 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
thoughts?

http://www.philsteele.com/FCSINFO/Allconf_Allamerican/2013/2013%20Preaseason/allamerican.html?SPSID=629561&SPID=91932&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26800

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Every conference is represented but the PL. That's insane....

CFBfan
July 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Every conference is represented but the PL. That's insane....
You would have to be intentional to completely ignore an entire league, especially when that league has several players on national watch lists

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2013, 07:36 AM
You would have to be intentional to completely ignore an entire league, especially when that league has several players on national watch lists

I can think of Koonce from Fordham and McCarney from Colgate but I would not put either of them ahead of the names on there. I think you could argue Koonce for their 4th team but it's not a slam dunk.

One thing I found interesting about their Isaiah Crowell pick is that he really came on strong late in the year. If he starts off where he finished last year he should put up over 1,100 yards for sure.

1standgoal
July 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Gotta agree...Koonce and McCarney...I mean they are both Walter Payton watch list players this year..

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Gotta agree...Koonce and McCarney...I mean they are both Walter Payton watch list players this year..

They are definitely worth a mention. Problem is that there are 8 QBs and 8 RBs on the Payton Watch list. Can't fit everyone on that list on these lists. I don't think it's a huge deal when there are 1 or 2 different RB names from an All-America Team (4 teams) and the Payton list. At QB all the ones listed are on the Payton so it's not like there is a huge snub there.

I will say I don't see why more people don't have Crowell from Alabama State on their teams. He's a stud. Was good at Georgia and really dominated late last year. Did nobody on here see what that man did?

Crowell ran for 118 yards, 2 TDs on Nov 22nd against Tuskegee, 103 yards and 1 TD on Nov 10th against Southern, and 60 yards and 2 TDs against Alabama A&M on Oct 27. His last two games were among his best. I can see why you go with Crowell but I can see why Koonce because of stats. We just can't forget Crowell because he was out of shape early on but there is buzz he may declare for the NFL early and with his talent you never know what he puts up.

theasushow
July 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
UTC has 4 All-Americans on Defense, while GSU has 4 All-Americans on offense, that will be a fun matchup to watch. (and scary for other SOCON teams)

DFW HOYA
July 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
The lists are not those of Phil Steele but Josh Buchanan, who is a contributor to D2football.com and sells his prospect lists online.

Buchanan does not seem to think much of the Patriot League. There were two selections on his 2012 post season list--Georgetown LB Robert McCabe was a consensus 1st team pick last season but Buchanan had him as a second team selection. Same for Fordham P Patrick Murray, a second team Buchanan pick.

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2013, 10:04 AM
UTC has 4 All-Americans on Defense, while GSU has 4 All-Americans on offense, that will be a fun matchup to watch. (and scary for other SOCON teams)

Those four are legit but the problem with Chattanooga is that as a unit they are not great. Tull is dominant so he belongs. Key is pretty good. Wise is very solid as well. Dothard produces but he is a guy you could leave off an All-America list.

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
The lists are not those of Phil Steele but Josh Buchanan, who is a contributor to D2football.com and sells his prospect lists online.

Buchanan does not seem to think much of the Patriot League. There were two selections on his 2012 post season list--Georgetown LB Robert McCabe was a consensus 1st team pick last season but Buchanan had him as a second team selection. Same for Fordham P Patrick Murray, a second team Buchanan pick.

Koonce and McCarney are the only legit All-America candidates from the league this year. Patriot league is down in talent right now. Last year you had the Lehigh WR but he missed much of the year due to an injury. If you asked folks around the Patriot League they know they have two legit names this year and that's it. Phil Steele had Will Rackley and others who were drafted or multi-year all-leaguers on the lists in the past. It's just a down time for the league.

One thing to note is look at the NEC. They have more talent than ever before. Their people use to complain about not having names on lists and now they do. Every league doesn't have a lot of talent every year. It sometimes comes and goes. Look at the Patriot League in the playoffs lately and you see why they don't have hardly anyone on Phil Steele, CSJ, TSN, AP, Walter Camp, AFCA, etc. Koonce is the best name this year and based on stats alone you can't say he has to be on the list. It's just down right now as a whole.

Several people I talked to have put Koonce high on lists just to get a Patriot League name on there. I think you have to go with who you think is the best player. I'm not a big fan of putting a guy from a league just to put a guy unless they have a clear name for the list.

To me the best players in the Patriot League on tape are

1. QB Gavin McCarney, Colgate
2. RB Carlton Koonce, Fordham
3. I think you could put any of Jared Roberts, Matthew Steinbeck, Dustin Wharton, Evan Byers, Mark Ross, Travis Friend, and Dan Light in this next tier.

seantaylor
July 18th, 2013, 01:07 AM
They are definitely worth a mention. Problem is that there are 8 QBs and 8 RBs on the Payton Watch list. Can't fit everyone on that list on these lists. I don't think it's a huge deal when there are 1 or 2 different RB names from an All-America Team (4 teams) and the Payton list. At QB all the ones listed are on the Payton so it's not like there is a huge snub there.

I will say I don't see why more people don't have Crowell from Alabama State on their teams. He's a stud. Was good at Georgia and really dominated late last year. Did nobody on here see what that man did?

Crowell ran for 118 yards, 2 TDs on Nov 22nd against Tuskegee, 103 yards and 1 TD on Nov 10th against Southern, and 60 yards and 2 TDs against Alabama A&M on Oct 27. His last two games were among his best. I can see why you go with Crowell but I can see why Koonce because of stats. We just can't forget Crowell because he was out of shape early on but there is buzz he may declare for the NFL early and with his talent you never know what he puts up.

Really? Using 3 awful teams as a gauge? At least give me a real team he put up some numbers against.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Really? Using 3 awful teams as a gauge? At least give me a real team he put up some numbers against.

You won't find a top tier team in the SWAC right now. One thing to mention is that Crowell is one of many players in FCS who has had a good season at a BCS school so it's hard not to assume those guys will do well, especially them all being in their second or third year in FCS this year.

Crowell had 850 yards in 2011 when he was the SEC Freshman of the Year. We know he is a good player. He was out of shape last year.

Have you seen the list of BCS transfers who are doing well in FCS?

Lynden Trail, Norfolk St- From Florida
Crowell, Alabama St- From Georgia
AC Leonard, Tenn St- From Florida St
Terrance Hackney, Bethune-Cookman- From Ole Miss
LeBrandon Richardson, Bethune-Cookman- From UCF
Travis Williams, YSU- From Miami
Trent Hurley, Delaware- From Bowling Green- Not BCS but FBS and I think he could have a good year finally

SIU has another UGA transfer in Ken Malcombe. It will be interesting to see what he does.

CFBfan
July 18th, 2013, 07:40 AM
He had 850 yards in 2011 when he was the SEC Freshman of the Year.

Most players who transfer down from the SEC don't put him big numbers in their first year in FCS because they don't realize that they have to do more than just show up to dominate. He should do well this year.
That makes NO sense!

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
That makes NO sense!

It's true. Look at Janzen Jackson, Da'Rick Rogers, etc. So many talented players who did dominate immediately but look at those who have been in FCS 2-3 years. Their second year they realize what they have to do. Right now there are a LOT of All-American caliber players in FCS who transferred from FBS programs. Players are transferring earlier now because of that NCAA rule change so we are seeing more influx, thus more individual talent in FCS.

My point is that I can't argue against picking a guy like Crowell or even if someone projects a stud BCS transfer who had an average year last year to have much better numbers. It happens all the time.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2013, 07:52 AM

Murray was really good. There were a lot of different punters on the first teams last year. TSN picked NAU's Wilder and did not list Murray at all as a punter. They had him first team as a kicker.

Anyone who did not list Sam Martin as the first team punter missed last year. He validated those of us pushing his name when he went in the 5th round. Murray and Martin are really the same type of player. Both were All-America caliber as a punter or place kicker. Both were good at kickoffs as well.

blueballs
July 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Crowell is the real deal IF, and this is a HUGE IF, his head is on straight, which is by no means assured.

However, RB in FCS this year is as deep as it has been in years with premier backs so he isn't assured of squat from an honors and awards standpoint.

Malcombe is a good but unspectacular player and by all accounts a good character guy who works hard. He got caught up in a numbers game at UGA playing behind Gurley adn Marshall. He should do well at SIU.

BisonFan02
July 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Trying to figure out where some of the 4th teamers on D fit in NDSU's 2 deep.

Wallace
July 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
The lists are not those of Phil Steele but Josh Buchanan, who is a contributor to D2football.com and sells his prospect lists online...

CORRECT.

"These FCS All-Conference and All-American teams were strictly provided by Josh Buchanan of JBScouting.com. While Phil Steele did not personally select these teams..." (http://www.philsteele.com/FCSINFO/Allconf_Allamerican/2013/2013 Preaseason/allamerican.html)

You can also contact this person at AGS under the name smallcollegefbfan. It is laughable he is trying to pass off these picks as Phil Steele's on this thread and others.

gobears14
July 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
CORRECT.

"These FCS All-Conference and All-American teams were strictly provided by Josh Buchanan of JBScouting.com. While Phil Steele did not personally select these teams..." (http://www.philsteele.com/FCSINFO/Allconf_Allamerican/2013/2013 Preaseason/allamerican.html)

You can also contact this person at AGS under the name smallcollegefbfan. It is laughable he is trying to pass off these picks as Phil Steele's on this thread and others.

What? I first saw them in this thread and brought it here

http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7113&sid=4e531075d5c0a5b322837e30757065e5

It is Philsteele.com so thats what i put as the title, didn't think as many would know who josh buchanan is

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2013, 12:25 AM
CORRECT.

Bahaha. The guy is terrible, I wouldn't listen to a thing he said if I was an NFL team or Phil Steele. This has guy is an admitted App State fan who magically projects all their scrubs as NFL players. It's absolutely unbelievable, but now its believable. If NFL teams actually listen to him, they won't be for long.

Thundar
July 21st, 2013, 12:38 AM
NDSU Their D isn't getting enough love, Carlton Litteljohn and Dudzik should get a mention, but that to me can be a good sign also as the entire unit plays as a team and in reality our system makes it hard for 1 player to stand out with the rotations

so I'm fine with it but some will rise this year

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 21st, 2013, 07:40 AM
NDSU Their D isn't getting enough love, Carlton Litteljohn and Dudzik should get a mention, but that to me can be a good sign also as the entire unit plays as a team and in reality our system makes it hard for 1 player to stand out with the rotations

so I'm fine with it but some will rise this year

Heagle would be an AA right now if he wasn't injured last year. This defense has the potential to be better than last year...xnodx

IBleedYellow
July 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Heagle would be an AA right now if he wasn't injured last year. This defense has the potential to be better than last year...xnodx

It's fun when we state this and everyone is like "no way." Then it happens.

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM
No one cares about this guy NDSU fans. He obviously has a glass jaw. He won't stay healthy which is why he isn't an All-American.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM
No one cares about this guy NDSU fans. He obviously has a glass jaw. He won't stay healthy which is why he isn't an All-American.

Torn ACL will do that.

If he stays healthy this year, he will be an AA. Ask Georgia Southern guys if he is any good......xcoffeex

chattownmocs
July 21st, 2013, 08:48 AM
According to the NDSU site.

2012: "Season cut short by injuries in the 2nd game" 2011: "Fought through injuries"

How many injuries has this guy had?

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
In 2011, he had a broken hand but played with a cast on....not the whole year though.

He has had some injuries but hopefully he can stay healthy this year.

IBleedYellow
July 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
This guy single-handedly beat GSU's quarterback in 2011.

With a cast on his arm.

Cast.

carney2
July 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Did the Patriot league get "slighted?" Not really. It's going to take a few years for the scholarships to kick in before the League gets this kind of recognition. A "for instance" is probably the Patriot league's best player going into the season - Colgate's senior QB, Gavin McCarney. I like McCarney a lot, but with a qualifier - I like him in Dick Biddle's offense. That, in my opinion, moves him down a notch when compared to QBs playing in more "traditional" systems.

Thundar
July 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM

every team we played and beat in 2010 and 2011 cares.........he messed up his knee at Colorado St. if we had him last year GSU would have been a shut out again....oh wait they did score 7 in 2011