PDA

View Full Version : New Rules

OL FU
September 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I know it has been mention elsewhere but here is an example of the impact.

First Two Furman games 2005 278 plays from scrimmage
First Two Furman Games 2006 218 plays from scrimmage

I realize lost of things impact the game but that is a 20% drop.

Against common opponents ie Jacksonville St

2005 142 plays
2006 113 plays:eek:

Tribe4SF
September 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
No question it's impacting the game. Heard yesterday that TV games were much shorter than last year. Sad that the game is changed to cater to networks and advertisers.

Mr. C
September 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
The App State-James Madison game lasted all of 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. The fourth quarter in particular just flew by. There was a lot of talk yesterday about how much more important it is to get a lead in a game. It's going to be extra tough to come from behind. Mickey Matthews made the point on Saturday that college football is a great game and you only play once a week, 11 or 12 times a year. Why would you want to shorten a great game? I have to agree with Mickey.

rcny46
September 10th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I don't think I've read or heard a single positive comment about the new rules.As OL FU mentioned there was a 20% drop in the number of plays in Furman's case (60) between `05 and `06,and that's ridiculous.Maybe if there are enough complaints the NCAA will rescind their decision eventually,although I realize that I'm probably dreaming.

Jaxhen
September 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I don't like the new rules. You don't change a baseball game from 9 to 8 innings. This will greatly affect offensive production and make it very difficult to break offensive or defensive records in the future. Will we have to create asterisks for records prior to 2006? I also think it may result in more upsets since there will be fewer plays for a stronger team to get their act together and make the necessary adjustments. We've all seen numerous times when the favored team avoids the upset by finally taking charge in the 4th quarter.

OL FU
September 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I heard an ESPN announer talk about how great it was. :eyebrow:
Ok so the TV guys like it, no surprise.:rolleyes:

He also said that all the trainers like it:cool:

I hate to see players hurt but the only people that like it are the people that work less because of it. :cool: