PDA

View Full Version : AGS Preseason Ballot

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 01:58 PM
The AGS Preseason voting will be starting shortly and I'm looking over some things to try and start formulating who and where they should be ranked. I normally try and rank things out to about the 30-35 spot. I was thinking that getting some of you guys to tell me why you think your team is gonna be or should be in there would help a brother out a little bit.

Basically could use some input on the15-35 spots on my ballot. The top 15 I think I'm pretty solid on. So let's use the final AGS Poll from 2012 as a reference to start at. Is there anyone not listed in this top 40 that you think should be on the list of candidates? Why?

1 North Dakota State Bison
2 Sam Houston State Bearkats
3 Eastern Washington Eagles
4 Wofford Terriers
5 Montana State Bobcats
6 Illinois State Redbirds
7 Cal Poly Mustangs
8 Central Arkansas Bears
9 Stony Brook Seawolves
10 South Dakota State Jackrabbits
11 New Hampshire Wildcats
12 Villanova Wildcats
13 Towson Tigers
14 Wagner Seahawks
15 Richmond Spiders
16 Lehigh Mountain Hawks
17 Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
18 Colgate Raiders
19 Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
20 James Madison Dukes
21T Albany Great Danes
21T Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
23 Eastern Illinois Panthers
24 Indiana State Sycamores
25 Eastern Kentucky Colonels

26 Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
27 Youngstown State Penguins
28 The Citadel Bulldogs
29 Harvard Crimson
30 Chattanooga Mocs
31 Sacramento State Hornets
32 Samford Bulldogs
33 Central Connecticut State Blue Devils
34 Northern Iowa Panthers
35 Southern Utah Thunderbirds
36 Southern Illinois Salukis
37 Tennessee State Tigers

Since it's time for all of AGS Poll voters to start getting this stuff together and our thoughts sorted out I figured I'd start a discussion on this so help me out.

Sly Fox
July 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Granted my Liberty Flames should be in the bottom half of that list, but to not include them at all seems like an oversight. Winners of six of the last seven including a convincing late season victory over your #12, the Flames are poised to certainly be in the playoff hunt with the departure of SBU from the Big South. A much softer schedule in year two under Coach Gill also creates the likelihood that a return to our usual place in the Final 25.

And for the record, you guys saw us at our worst in that first half with all of the turnovers. That was back when we were still trying to figure out our way under the new staff and a freshman making his first start as a QB in which he did manage to throw for 300+ yards. Wish we could have played you midseason or later. But alas ...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Granted my Liberty Flames should be in the bottom half of that list, but to not include them at all seems like an oversight. Winners of six of the last seven including a convincing late season victory over your #12, the Flames are poised to certainly be in the playoff hunt with the departure of SBU from the Big South. A much softer schedule in year two under Coach Gill also creates the likelihood that a return to our usual place in the Final 25.

And for the record, you guys saw us at our worst in that first half with all of the turnovers. That was back when we were still trying to figure out our way under the new staff and a freshman making his first start as a QB in which he did manage to throw for 300+ yards. Wish we could have played you midseason or later. But alas ...

Dude, that is not my list for this preseason. It is, as I said in the post, the final from last seasons AGS Poll as a REFERENCE point for this discussion.

In spite of not reading you provided some good discussion on the Flames so thanks and they will be in consideration just so ya know.xthumbsupx

BEAR
July 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I think if you drop the schools from the top 15 that are reclassifying then you get a more accurate picture of the top 15. Not taking anything away from them of course but rather looking for the more accurate picture. Move the next teams up and see what you have left.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I think if you drop the schools from the top 15 that are reclassifying then you get a more accurate picture of the top 15. Not taking anything away from them of course but rather looking for the more accurate picture. Move the next teams up and see what you have left.

Good idea, I meant to do that but just copied and pasted the thing. I'll go edit it later.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 05:55 PM
There we go.

BEAR
July 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM
There we go.

That helps. Now to figure out the 16- whatever. xlolx

mmiller_34
July 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM
But the reclassifying teams can still be ranked right?

Ah eff. I forgot to qoute.

eaglewraith
July 16th, 2013, 06:53 PM
/cue NDSU was ranked while ineligible rant here

I don't really care honestly, but it might be best to rank us, especially since we will have an impact on the playoff picture for other teams.

mmiller_34
July 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
, but it might be best to rank us, especially since we will have an impact on the playoff picture for other teams.

That's my line of thinking as well. Just because GSU and APP are inelliglible for the playoffs doesn't mean they aren't one of the top teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM
But the reclassifying teams can still be ranked right?

Ah eff. I forgot to qoute.

don't they get more scholarships?

clenz
July 16th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Damn...UNI is going to suck

mmiller_34
July 16th, 2013, 07:42 PM

Not sure how that process works. But I'm guessing the 2014 recruiting class will be more effected by the increase in scholarships. I doubt they increased that much during the 2013 offseason. Of course, I don't know anything--pure speculation.

The Moody1
July 16th, 2013, 07:48 PM
The top 15 I think I'm pretty solid on.

Better think a little harder. xrolleyesx

The Moody1
July 16th, 2013, 07:49 PM

I think App will have 72 for this season. Most of them are going to current guys who weren't on scholarship.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Better think a little harder. xrolleyesx

Another non-reader huh?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 08:04 PM
It was decided and voted on by the members years ago that transitioning teams are ineligible...this goes back to Texas State etc. in case anyone did not know this or had forgotten.

I would not be averse to having a secondary poll with those three teams included if people wanted to do a second vote with them included I could set that up?

Saint3333
July 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM
No sweat, our games don't matter win or lose to these guys any more.

I don't want to see a single post when App or GSU lose a game this year.

Lehigh'98
July 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM

I'm sure they will matter to the players. The seniors want to go out winners, regardless of transitioning. I kinda feel bad for them because this will be a lost season. We will see their character when all they have to play for is pride. For the love of the game baby.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM

You can say that it does not matter Saint but it flat out makes me sick that App and GSU won't be in it. That's part of the reason I'm willing to double the work to have a supplemental poll that includes those teams.

Regardless of what you and I argue about or anything else that goes on I am as big a fan of those two teams as you guys got outside of your region. I've watched every game I could and checked every story, every score or whatever else I could on those teams.

That is a fact my man. It is not punitive I can assure you.

Apps03
July 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I'm sure they will matter to the players. The seniors want to go out winners, regardless of transitioning. I kinda feel bad for them because this will be a lost season. We will see their character when all they have to play for is pride. For the love of the game baby.

I want to start first by realizing you're not questioning their pride. There is a quote that was passed around on the ASU message board. Something along the lines of "I don't play for the playoffs but I play for the "A" on my chest". I think this is a great quote and a great mindset by the team. It remains to be seen whether this sentiment is played out by the rest of the team but, as a backer of the team, I hope and believe it is. You are correct in that we don't have a conference championship or playoff to play for but I believe and trust in the character of these guys to want to play their best at all times and represent the university that gave them a chance to do so. I personally believe they will just as LU's players will.

Saint3333
July 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Oh it matters to our players and I plan on making 9 of our games at a minimum (including the Griz), I just poking fun at a few posters that claim they don't matter this year.

It is bitter sweet as I think this is the right move for App, but I will miss the playoffs and hate it for our seniors.

I play for the App State on my chest and the block A on my helmet is the quote you're looking for.

RichH2
July 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Fordham will be very good, my guess top 20.Gate has A-A QB ,little else and tough OOC. Porous D ,new DC Shaffner could resurrect.Wagner lost record setting QB, but solid team top 25. Stony Brook with Coker they will make playoffs top 20. Albany out of their depth this yr. Unranked.Harvard nd Penn 1,2 Ivies both very good, Edge Penn with Ragnone back.CCCU if avoid inuries could win NEC top 30. Lehigh to iffy to rank. Lots of talent need QB and front 7 replaced. Too many new moving parts to rank preseason. Nova and Richmond s/b class of CAA. top 10. Towson top 20.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Fordham will be very good, my guess top 20.Gate has A-A QB ,little else and tough OOC. Porous D ,new DC Shaffner could resurrect.Wagner lost record setting QB, but solid team top 25. Stony Brook with Coker they will make playoffs top 20. Albany out of their depth this yr. Unranked.Harvard nd Penn 1,2 Ivies both very good, Edge Penn with Ragnone back.CCCU if avoid inuries could win NEC top 30. Lehigh to iffy to rank. Lots of talent need QB and front 7 replaced. Too many new moving parts to rank preseason. Nova and Richmond s/b class of CAA. top 10. Towson top 20.

Thanks Rich, great insight!

BTW, just to reiterate. That is not my preseason ballot. That is the final AGS Poll minus the three teams in transition. It is just put out there as a basis for discussion to bring up others not on that poll or over/under ranked.

RichH2
July 16th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I did read the first post lol. Just my impressions of NE, which is the only area I know well. Cant wait til Sept. Tired of all the PL angst.

CrazyCat
July 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM
From what I've learned around here and just a helpful tip. Wherever you have the MSU Bobcats...........................it's too high. :p

IBleedYellow
July 17th, 2013, 11:36 PM
From what I've learned around here and just a helpful tip. Wherever you have the MSU Bobcats...........................it's too high. :p

Well, have they proven any of those that state they are ranked too high wrong? ;)

Ursus, I think you really need to work on your top 15.

Cough Cough, But really, I think you would be able to throw a couple of the MVFC teams in the top 20. For sure in the top 40 minus Western and South Dakota.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Well, have they proven any of those that state they are ranked too high wrong? ;)

Cough Cough, But really, I think you would be able to throw a couple of the MVFC teams in the top 20. For sure in the top 40 minus Western and South Dakota.

Well maybe but no one has made a case yet. xlolx

IBleedYellow
July 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Well maybe but no one has made a case yet. xlolx

UNI will be back in the playoffs this year. Sawyer is going to be very scary. I can't wait to watch our defense put him to the turf in Fargo, but he will still be a great threat. His head on him is very wise.

skinny_uncle
July 18th, 2013, 12:44 AM

Misery State would be the only other team he left out of his top 40. Lehigh should not be as high as they are after losing to a Colgate team that lost to USD.

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Enough already..when will the preseason poll start??

Professor Chaos
July 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I don't know enough about what the other teams have returning but here's my opinion on where the MVFC teams should be starting at:

1. NDSU
6-10. SDSU
12-18. UNI
18-25. SIU
25-35. YSU, IlSU

NoDak 4 Ever
July 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
NDSU is too low. #1 isn't high enough for a team this good.

:D

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Misery State would be the only other team he left out of his top 40. Lehigh should not be as high as they are after losing to a Colgate team that lost to USD.

The whole Colgate lost to USD arguement is insane and beyond irrational.
Lehigh will prove to be better than Colgate this year. The Hawks have lost ONE league game in three years.

I'll have Fordham ranked and Lehigh on the fringe. Everyone has players to replace. The talent pool is high for the Hawks right now and the coaching staff has great chemistry.

Hambone
July 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Without reading the thread, I'm noticing that Montana may want to be included in there. Also, don't think Southern Utah should be up in there - more of a case to have UNC or UND in there than them.

wapiti
July 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I find it odd that you did not put Montana in this list?????
I think they should be a top 20 team

CrazyCat
July 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I find it odd that you did not put Montana in this list?????
I think they should be a top 20 team

From the first post "So let's use the final AGS Poll from 2012 as a reference to start at."

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I posted this back in January...it was a solid start imo

1. NDSU
2. Georgia Southern
3. Cal Poly
4. Towson
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. App State
8. EWU
9. SHSU
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. Southern Illinois
13. Richmond
14. Montana State
15. Stony Brook
16. Wofford
17. UNH
18. Lehigh
19. South Dakota State
20. Chattanooga
21. Colgate
22. Illinois State
23. McNeese State
24. Montana
25. Albany

Just missed, Liberty, EKU, Wagner, Harvard, SF Austin

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Enough already..when will the preseason poll start??

You prompted me to go make the post early but at least it's out of my way now. Starts on 07-26. Check link below.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?134695-AGS-POLL-Preseason-Vote-Begins-on-07-26-2013