PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS QBs will get a major all-star game invite or combine invite this year?

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 01:52 PM
This is a loaded class for FCS QBs this year. So many great seniors who will likely get a shot at the next level. I put multiple choice in case someone thinks more than one will get one or both of the invites I mentioned above. Who do you think will get invites and why?

BEAR
July 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Smothers- Because:

1. He waits around in the pocket long enough to make something happen.
2. When nothing happens, he is able to run the ball and get positive yards. While not a McKinnon, he'll get his yards.
3. He's NOT 6'1"..he's taller and I think that will show in his pro day measurements...hopefully. xlolx
4. He gives the impression that he's not PLAYING ball, he's chosen to look at it as a JOB or CAREER... like an architect student studies his craft. His grades show his classroom smarts that's for sure.
5. I've seen countless times when he's out on the practice field when he's got a few receivers out there and NO ONE ELSE. Haven't seen that in a while with other QBs.
6. He's a community involvement guy. Even if his football career ends at UCA, I have a feeling he will still represent whatever cause he takes up with sleepless nights of planning and strategy..just like his football film room nights.

But I guess all QBs are picked for QB because they are field generals with leadership ability, not just the ability to throw the ball. This is a good QB class in the FCS. xclapx

laxVik
July 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM
You left the best pro prospect off the list completely - McGhee, MSU.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Wondering about that myself. In his Walter Payton award poll, McGhee is included (and slightly leading), but won't get any invites? Not sure how someone in the running for the most outstanding offensive player in FCS wouldn't get an invite as one of the best QBs in the FCS.xdontknowx

gobears14
July 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Smothers- Because:

1. He waits around in the pocket long enough to make something happen.
2. When nothing happens, he is able to run the ball and get positive yards. While not a McKinnon, he'll get his yards.
3. He's NOT 6'1"..he's taller and I think that will show in his pro day measurements...hopefully. xlolx
4. He gives the impression that he's not PLAYING ball, he's chosen to look at it as a JOB or CAREER... like an architect student studies his craft. His grades show his classroom smarts that's for sure.
5. I've seen countless times when he's out on the practice field when he's got a few receivers out there and NO ONE ELSE. Haven't seen that in a while with other QBs.
6. He's a community involvement guy. Even if his football career ends at UCA, I have a feeling he will still represent whatever cause he takes up with sleepless nights of planning and strategy..just like his football film room nights.

But I guess all QBs are picked for QB because they are field generals with leadership ability, not just the ability to throw the ball. This is a good QB class in the FCS. xclapx

I would have no problem with anyone picking McKinnon though after seeing him against us last year lol xeekx

wapiti
July 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I assume other means McGhee, MSU

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Complete brain fart by me! I meant to put him instead of the Colgate QB.

He isn't the highest rated of the group but definitely a solid one. Most consider him as a running back, although I think he will get a shot as a QB if he has a strong year passing.

Sorry MSU fans!! Consider him the "other"!

ncbears
July 14th, 2013, 09:38 PM

sorry but McGhee doesn't have the size to play QB in the NFL. Seth Labota does though at 6-5, 239lbs.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 09:42 PM
sorry but McGhee doesn't have the size to play QB in the NFL. Seth Labota does though at 6-5, 239lbs.

McGhee is likely to be a running back but he may get a shot as a QB because of Russell Wilson.

Seth is actually the 2nd best prototype of a QB on the list but his problem is that he is very inconsistent. He's big, has a good arm, etc but needs to be more consistent, accurate, and improve footwork and decision making. He does have the physical tools, no doubt!

CrazyCat
July 14th, 2013, 10:52 PM
McGhee is likely to be a running back but he may get a shot as a QB because of Russell Wilson.

Seth is actually the 2nd best prototype of a QB on the list but his problem is that he is very inconsistent. He's big, has a good arm, etc but needs to be more consistent, accurate, and improve footwork and decision making. He does have the physical tools, no doubt!

You'd think the 13th ranked QB by NFL Draft Scout might get a shot at that position. I respect your opinion, but not having him listed here and having him listed at RB on the other poll, is kind of a slap in the face.

geaux_sioux
July 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM

He wasn't very impressive last year against UND. He didn't stand out at all.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM
You'd think the 13th ranked QB by NFL Draft Scout might get a shot at that position. I respect your opinion, but not having him listed here and having him listed at RB on the other poll, is kind of a slap in the face.

Not slapping him in the face but these 6'0 QBs are going to have people wanting them to stay there because of Russell Wilson. Save their junior ratings every spring and fall. They change a lot. He may be 32nd in February. He may be 7th in February. A lot can happen. I graded him as a running back conversion. I know one of the NFL Scouting services graded him as a quarterback and I'm sure they put him at quarterback because of that. Gil Brandt tweeted about him. I'm just telling you I think he is a great athlete who can run and has the movement skills to make the conversion. My opinion is that he will be a better pro at receiver or running back.

One NFL scouting service (I mean those who teams pay for, not internet websites) rated him as a free agent, the other as a late round pick. I would say their street market value grade combined would be a borderline draft pick. I gave him a high PFA grade myself. Just had an AFC team who doesn't subscribe to those services ask to swap lists with me and I had McGhee on there as a running back, the scout told me he saw him as that too. He told me from the little bit he watched of juniors that a few of these small school guys aren't as good as media hype and there are some who will surprise and end up being drafted who most in media are not even rating but they like them already.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM
He wasn't very impressive last year against UND. He didn't stand out at all.

Which one?

Bisonator
July 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I picked Brock simply for his leadership and he's a winner. Not the strongest arm or the fastest runner, but he has all of the intangibles as they say!

cmaxwellgsu
July 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
McKinnon is going to get some invites based simply off his athleticism. I'm not sure where they will look to put him, but he'll be somewhere at a big all-star game. What he does there will dictate his combine invite.

catbob
July 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Which one?

Well I assume he isn't talking about McGhee, as he threw for 259 yards and 3 TDs in a route against UND last year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM
McKinnon is going to get some invites based simply off his athleticism. I'm not sure where they will look to put him, but he'll be somewhere at a big all-star game. What he does there will dictate his combine invite.

Just so you know that is a myth. The combine is voted on by teams at the end of November. What he does at an all-star game will have no bearing on him being a combine invite. The first wave of invites go out in late December and then those top vote getters who weren't in the first wave of invites are the top ones added when underclassmen declare and are added in. Seniors only get the remaining spots after underclassmen are added in, which could just be 8 or could be 25 spots. It purely depends on how many underclassmen declare.

geaux_sioux
July 15th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Which one?

Lobato

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Lobato

Ah. He has physical tools and talent but is very inconsistent right now. He had some decent games and then he had some games where he struggled a good bit. There definitely has to be that step this year for him to be a top rated prospect.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I picked Brock simply for his leadership and he's a winner. Not the strongest arm or the fastest runner, but he has all of the intangibles as they say!

I generally don't listen to sports radio, but I do remember Colin Cowherd discussion those people that argue that Tim Tebow had all of the "intangibles." His response was that the only intangibles that matter are that when he throws the ball, one of his receivers catches it.

MSUBobcat
July 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM

I must have misread the question. I thought it asked about QBs getting an all star game invite or combine invite, not who is going to play in the NFL. If McGhee's senior year is as good or better than his junior year, he would likely be top 3 in the Payton Award, again be named first team All American and would own most of the Big Sky's all time records. If that doesn't get an invite, I would be completely shocked.

Lobato may have size, but he hasn't really shown to be an elite QB. 2,448 yds, 17 TD to 10 INT, 54.5% completion rate as a sophomore. 2,797 yds, 19 TD to 10 INT, 58.3% completion rate last year. He needs a much better year to get consideration, IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I must have misread the question. I thought it asked about QBs getting an all star game invite or combine invite, not who is going to play in the NFL. If McGhee's senior year is as good or better than his junior year, he would likely be top 3 in the Payton Award, again be named first team All American and would own most of the Big Sky's all time records. If that doesn't get an invite, I would be completely shocked.

Lobato may have size, but he hasn't really shown to be an elite QB. 2,448 yds, 17 TD to 10 INT, 54.5% completion rate as a sophomore. 2,797 yds, 19 TD to 10 INT, 58.3% completion rate last year. He needs a much better year to get consideration, IMO.

All the scouts and myself agree with that. He has the tools worthy of being scouted but needs to play better to be more than a name on a list of prospects and camp body.

seantaylor
July 16th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Just so you know that is a myth. The combine is voted on by teams at the end of November. What he does at an all-star game will have no bearing on him being a combine invite. The first wave of invites go out in late December and then those top vote getters who weren't in the first wave of invites are the top ones added when underclassmen declare and are added in. Seniors only get the remaining spots after underclassmen are added in, which could just be 8 or could be 25 spots. It purely depends on how many underclassmen declare.

McKinnon WILL get a combine invite barring injury. Mark that down for me.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2013, 08:20 AM
McKinnon WILL get a combine invite barring injury. Mark that down for me.

Actually, injury would have nothing to do with keeping him off unless it was a season-ending injury and he got a medical redshirt. Lehigh's Ryan Spadola had the injury bug last year and still went. I could name a ton of guys who got hurt as a senior and still went, because they were considered good prospects heading into the season.

My point was that an all-star game can't put him in the combine because they vote on it before them. The only way it could affect it is if they push back the combine voting by 6-7 weeks because the draft was pushed back but they didn't push the draft back that far so I don't see that happening.

Go Green
July 16th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Sports Illustrated says Mathews.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/25/unheralded-jeff-mathews-intriguing-scouts-in-a-year-of-star-studded-qbs/

SpeedkingATL
July 16th, 2013, 08:49 AM
With the stable of WR App State's Jamal Londry-Jackson has to throw to and a more experienced OL this year he might put up some really big numbers in 2013. His top receiver, Price will be on NFL scout's radars thus Jackson will be seen by some. Don't know that he has the arm strength of some and he always seems to make one bonehead interception a game, but his numbers may be hard to ignore. He also has to stay healthy for a entire season which has been a problem. A good showing against UGA would also help as every NFL scout will be watching Murray at UGA.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM
With the stable of WR App State's Jamal Londry-Jackson has to throw to and a more experienced OL this year he might put up some really big numbers in 2013. His top receiver, Price will be on NFL scout's radars thus Jackson will be seen by some. Don't know that he has the arm strength of some and he always seems to make one bonehead interception a game, but his numbers may be hard to ignore. He also has to stay healthy for a entire season which has been a problem. A good showing against UGA would also help as every NFL scout will be watching Murray at UGA.

Actually, Price is on the NFL radar because last year App had some prospects and he showed out while they saw them. He will continue to be seen this year because they are coming to Boone to check out Tony Washington, Andrew Peacock, and Jamal Jackson. It's interesting because the NFL's scouting services were not consistent in their grades on App players. One scout gave Jackson a reject grade while the other gave him a late 4th round grade. The same scout who loves Jackson gave Tony Washington a draftable grade while the other did not and both gave free agent grades to Peacock. Washington and Peacock are better NFL prospects than Jackson. The couple scouts I talked to who work solely for their team and don't provide reports to the combine told me they agree.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Sports Illustrated says Mathews.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/25/unheralded-jeff-mathews-intriguing-scouts-in-a-year-of-star-studded-qbs/

He's the best of the bunch for sure. Scouts from the spring gave him a late round or priority free agent grade. Even though neither gave him a 4th round grade like one did with Jackson I think Mathews is a legit late round type guy right now. People really noticed him in 2011 and got to see him a lot last year since they were visiting Cornell to see Tretter. Mathews should end up in the Shrine Game, worst case. If he goes to a lower game then that means he had a bad year.