PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Walter Payton Award

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Alright same thing as I did for the Buchanan Award. Who is the pick and why?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
DeNarius McGhee - Will put up big numbers in the points happy Big Sky, MSU will be ranked just high enough to justify it...

Flanders would be my #2

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Brock Jensen...because I'm a homer and he WINS! :D

Seriously though, Flanders has a good shot, along with McGhee. Their offensive stats will definitely be padded and aplenty.

uofmman1122
July 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I voted for McGhee, and I think he's got a good shot like SCFBF said. He'll put up good numbers during the season like he always does.

And I'm a giant homer, but I hope to see Jordan Johnson as a finalist at the end of the year. If he can connect well with our young receivers, he has a shot.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I voted for McGhee, and I think he's got a good shot like SCFBF said. He'll put up good numbers during the season like he always does.

And I'm a giant homer, but I hope to see Jordan Johnson as a finalist at the end of the year. If he can connect well with our young receivers, he has a shot.

I think both have a good shot to be in the discussion at the end of the year.

The one reason I think Jensen has no shot at this thing is because he has two very good running backs and when an OC has two good backs he will usually allow them to grind and pound on defenses instead of putting a lot of pressure on the QB. I just don't think NDSU ask Jensen to throw for 3,500 yards, 30 TDs, and rush for 8-10 TDs and over 400 yards. Those are the type of numbers you expect from someone with his skills in the running. At the end of the day I would project he has a 1000-1200 yard rusher, 800-1000 yard rusher, and then he throws for around 2300-2800 yards and 18-22 TDs, which would guarantee him a spot on the final list but not put him in the top 5 of most people's ballots.

uofmman1122
July 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Agreed on Jensen. He unfortunately suffers from the system, much like Montana QBs did during Hauck's era. They'd be on the watch list perennially, but never put up the numbers to win it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Homer vote. With a improved line I think McK can win the Payton if he has 11 starts for the year.

Apphole
July 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
No Jamal Jackson? What a joke. The guy is a top 5 QB with more weapons at his disposal than he needs to get WP award winning numbers this season.

MSUBobcat
July 14th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I think it comes down to Zenner and McGee. If Zenner improves on his amazing numbers from last year, he would have some pretty impressive numbers. McGee is within striking distance of several Big Sky all-time records, in order of likelihood IMO:

Wins (33) - needs only 4
Total Offense (13,308 yds) - needs 3,308 yds, had 3,518 last year
Completions (996) - needs 83, had 84 last year
Total TDs (116) - needs 34, had 29 last year
TD passes (98) - needs 28, had 24 last year
Passing yds (12,616) - needs 3,501, had 3,154 last year

(Current record)

Source: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/denarius-mcghee-record-watch/article_e6609ea8-ab9b-11e2-8019-0019bb2963f4.html

The Eagle's Cliff
July 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Probably won't win, but Jerrick McKinnon will be the best athlete on the field in every game GaSo plays this year, maybe including Florida.

These things are somewhat political so Jensen and whoever else is playing for a National Contender will be the favorites.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 11:30 AM
No Jamal Jackson? What a joke. The guy is a top 5 QB with more weapons at his disposal than he needs to get WP award winning numbers this season.

Left him off because he has Sean Price on the list. I would have to double check but I don't think anyone has ever won the Payton with a teammate also on the final watch list. One major advantage he has is that he will have to do a lot unless the RB by committee approach happens and SS doesn't put a lot of pressure on him to put up monster numbers. One good thing he has if they do ask him to do a lot is like you said, having a lot of good WRs but he has a player in Price who has the bigger name and would garner more votes if he has say 1400 yards and 15 TDs, which is possible. I really think his numbers drop only because Peacock and Washington have a big year. I think all 3 have All-SoCon and maybe All-America seasons.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Probably won't win, but Jerrick McKinnon will be the best athlete on the field in every game GaSo plays this year, maybe including Florida.

These things are somewhat political so Jensen and whoever else is playing for a National Contender will be the favorites.

Chattownmocs says you are wrong. They have 4 players on offense better than McKinnon by far! Just ask him. :)

Apphole
July 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Left him off because he has Sean Price on the list. I would have to double check but I don't think anyone has ever won the Payton with a teammate also on the final watch list. One major advantage he has is that he will have to do a lot unless the RB by committee approach happens and SS doesn't put a lot of pressure on him to put up monster numbers. One good thing he has if they do ask him to do a lot is like you said, having a lot of good WRs but he has a player in Price who has the bigger name and would garner more votes if he has say 1400 yards and 15 TDs, which is possible. I really think his numbers drop only because Peacock and Washington have a big year. I think all 3 have All-SoCon and maybe All-America seasons.
He won't be running to much as we have multiple RBs to constitute a major running threat under Satterfield's system. With one of the best WR corps in recent memory, Jamal is a WP finalist barring injury. It's an outrage that you didn't include him.

I do think having Price on the ballot could hurt.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 14th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I voted for Zenner but the EIU QB might be a the top guy just for the fact that the Ohio Valley doesn't play defense and he will have huge numbers again this year.

It was fun watching the SDSU/EIU playoff game last year and seeing a very good defense shut down a supposedly awesome offense. 58-10 and it wasn't even that close.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Jensen's a winner. Just look at the last 5 minutes of the semi and see what Jensen does and what McKinnon does.

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM
He won't be running to much as we have multiple RBs to constitute a major running threat under Satterfield's system. With one of the best WR corps in recent memory, Jamal is a WP finalist barring injury. It's an outrage that you didn't include him.

I do think having Price on the ballot could hurt.

It's a proven fact it hurts having two on the list to win it because often times it takes votes away from one of the players on the team unless one of the guys on there had won the Payton before and his numbers are so gaudy there is no discussion, and I don't remember that happening. Jackson is a really good QB. If he can improve decision making under pressure, be more consistent with overall accuracy, and if his arm gets a little stronger he will be more than a free agent or name on the list of NFL teams and could get serious looks with a combine invite. As of now the two with a shot at the combine and major all-star game is Washington and Peacock. I would be surprised if Washington is not on the Senior Bowl watch list.

In fact I expect to see the following names on their watch list.

WO Tony Washington II Appalachian State
QB Jeff Mathews Cornell
NT Zachariah Kerr Delaware
OG Dakota Dozier Furman
OH Jerick McKinnon Georgia Southern
SS Julien David Howard
OB Jordan Tripp Montana
WO Walter Powell Murray State
DC Marcus Williams North Dakota State
DT Caraun Reid Princeton
DC Todd Washington Southeastern Louisiana

It would not shock me if Flanders, Qua Cox, Stephon Robertson, Garopollo, Jordan Love, and maybe a couple others are on it as well.

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Not saying he'll win it but I do expect Bryan Bennett to be added to the watch list at some point during the season.

BEAR
July 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM
After Smothers goes undefeated up until the Sam Houston game and puts up gawdy numbers..because we all know stats matter...xlolx...he'll be one of the favs.

World
July 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Where did Bryan Bennett land?

Not saying he'll win it but I do expect Bryan Bennett to be added to the watch list at some point during the season.

Montanan
July 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Going with McGhee, he should have the personnel in place to get it done!

seantaylor
July 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Swope

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Where did Bryan Bennett land?

Southeastern Louisiana

eaglewraith
July 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Jensen's a winner. Just look at the last 5 minutes of the semi and see what Jensen does and what McKinnon does.

Not an excuse, but the drive before your go ahead score, Jerrick got tagged in the back pretty hard while he was laying on the ground. It definitely affected how he played after that.

That said, Jensen is a good player, but he's always going to be seen as the leader of the team and not a superior performer on his own. He's definitely no slouch though.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM
One player doesn't win championships. Jensen has a great supporting cast and I agree he's a winner. That said, he can't hold McKinnon's jock strap in an athlete-to-athlete comparison.

PS - everyone knows that God forsaken airplane hanger you people call a dome is the main reason the Eagles aren't raising #7. But it's OK, I-AA lost 3 of their top 5 teams to FBS in one year and JMU is gone next year.

The Bison have the money so it's time to go

smallcollegefbfan
July 14th, 2013, 09:59 PM
One player doesn't win championships. Jensen has a great supporting cast and I agree he's a winner. That said, he can't hold McKinnon's jock strap in an athlete-to-athlete comparison.

PS - everyone knows that God forsaken airplane hanger you people call a dome is the main reason the Eagles aren't raising #7. But it's OK, I-AA lost 3 of their top 5 teams to FBS in one year and JMU is gone next year.

The Bison have the money so it's time to go

Funny you say that because I tell everyone I know that NDSU and Montana are two programs who could move up and do very well. There is nobody to compete with them in recruiting in their state and most surrounding states except FCS programs and so I think both would be good candidates to move up. If I was the MAC I would go after NDSU, or may MWC. I would love to see NDSU with 85 scholarships. FCS is certainly losing two great programs and could be losing JMU as well.

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Funny you say that because I tell everyone I know that NDSU and Montana are two programs who could move up and do very well. There is nobody to compete with them in recruiting in their state and most surrounding states except FCS programs and so I think both would be good candidates to move up. If I was the MAC I would go after NDSU, or may MWC. I would love to see NDSU with 85 scholarships. FCS is certainly losing two great programs and could be losing JMU as well.

xpopcornx

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 12:45 AM
xpopcornx

If NDSU is FBS UND is not going to beat you guys for recruits so there are no FBS teams to compete with you for players. NDSU would be the big dawg, even more so than now. You guys already steal guys from some Big Ten programs. I think you would be a huge thorn in the side of many Big Ten schools if you move up. NDSU is an attractive destination.

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2013, 12:47 AM
If NDSU is FBS UND is not going to beat you guys for recruits so there are no FBS teams to compete with you for players. NDSU would be the big dawg, even more so than now. You guys already steal guys from some Big Ten programs. I think you would be a huge thorn in the side of many Big Ten schools if you move up. NDSU is an attractive destination.

I know where you were going with it...I was just waiting for a few unhinged UND and MSU fans to show up. Minnesota has made a better effort on recruiting the TC metro area, and that has been a goldmine for NDSU in recent years....going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

smallcollegefbfan
July 15th, 2013, 01:18 AM
I know where you were going with it...I was just waiting for a few unhinged UND and MSU fans to show up. Minnesota has made a better effort on recruiting the TC metro area, and that has been a goldmine for NDSU in recent years....going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

I wasn't putting them down but simply saying if you guys are FBS you will win out. Look at App State's recruiting right now. They move up and they have 8 commits already. They never had commits this early as an FCS. They won't lose players to Elon or WCU, not that they did much anyway but it will never happen now, well won't happen 99.9% of the time now. If NDSU moved up I'm sure UND knows they would struggle to compete in recruiting. HS players think they have to go to the highest level possible. If you guys are FBS it will be difficult to for UND or any other ND schools to compete head to head for players. It's just how it is. Right now they can certainly compete and take some guys but if you move up I would be shocked if you don't win 99.9% of the battles. It's FBS vs FCS and for HS recruits the only way FCS wins out is if the FBS offer is too far away or a bad program. Just like App State will not beat out Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Clemson, etc. for players those schools truly want right now.

ValleyChamp
July 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM
David Johnson from UNI deserves legitimate mention. As a Peyton winner. He is already one if the preseason finalists.

He's a rushes the ball, receives the ball, is a physical freak and a TD machine.

Bisonator
July 15th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I picked McGee cause he seems to put up big numbers during the season.

I like Jensen a lot and don't believe he gets the credit he deserves as our QB and leader, but NDSU is a great team and nobody needs to stand out or put up huge numbers. As Gus said "JUST DO YOUR JOB!" and Jensen does it as well as anyone!

LoneStar
July 15th, 2013, 03:56 PM
T.West Towson

Twentysix
July 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM
McGhee barring injury.