PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly wins ugly, 17-0 over Weber State

slostang
September 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Defense pitches second straight shut out of the season.

Bisonforlife
September 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Congratulations on the 2-0 start -- keep it up until the Bison game:D

I Bleed Purple
September 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM
What a horribly played offensive game from Weber State.

Terrible reads. Sluggish running from Conway. Decent running when he was replaced. Pizarro was ridiculously horrid. Terrible reads. Letting himself get sacked. O-line blowing assignments once a set of downs. Recievers who were complete pansies on the line. I watched them butcher an X route. The outside receiver got touched by the DB and basically walked the route. The inside receiver jogged the route.

Weber State's defense was very good. The two Cal Poly TDs were a one yard touchdown drive. Our first play of the game we run a swing route and the guy drops the ball. They pick it up on the one. Second TD was a throw Pizarro made where the closest guy to the linebacker that intercepted the ball was another linebacker. I'm guessing it was intended for a receiver on a fifteen yard out and underthrew it ten yards.

The field goal was a sustained drive where a late hit kept their drive alive. The late hit happened on a fumble. Guys diving for the ball and they call a late hit.

Ugh...Unappy.

0-0 in league play, so I shouldn't be too upset.

slostang
September 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
What a horribly played offensive game from Weber State.

Terrible reads. Sluggish running from Conway. Decent running when he was replaced. Pizarro was ridiculously horrid. Terrible reads. Letting himself get sacked. O-line blowing assignments once a set of downs. Recievers who were complete pansies on the line. I watched them butcher an X route. The outside receiver got touched by the DB and basically walked the route. The inside receiver jogged the route.

Weber State's defense was very good. The two Cal Poly TDs were a one yard touchdown drive. Our first play of the game we run a swing route and the guy drops the ball. They pick it up on the one. Second TD was a throw Pizarro made where the closest guy to the linebacker that intercepted the ball was another linebacker. I'm guessing it was intended for a receiver on a fifteen yard out and underthrew it ten yards.

The field goal was a sustained drive where a late hit kept their drive alive. The late hit happened on a fumble. Guys diving for the ball and they call a late hit.

Ugh...Unappy.

0-0 in league play, so I shouldn't be too upset.
You can look at this game one of two ways. The first is they way you have, the offenses were bad. The second, and the way I see it is that both defenses looked good.

Good luck the rest of the season.

ThreadStopper
September 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
So does Cal Poly have the defense two shut outs may indicate? Or, is the competition they have played so far just that bad? Fort Lewis did manage to get some points on the board Saturday, but not many. I can understand Weber State not scoring much against a pretty good Colorado State team. Sacramento State may not be much of an indicator either. We may have to wait until the San Jose State game to see some points on the other side of the scoreboard. They were able to get up there against Stanford. We shall see.

slostang
September 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM
So does Cal Poly have the defense two shut outs may indicate? Or, is the competition they have played so far just that bad? Fort Lewis did manage to get some points on the board Saturday, but not many. I can understand Weber State not scoring much against a pretty good Colorado State team. Sacramento State may not be much of an indicator either. We may have to wait until the San Jose State game to see some points on the other side of the scoreboard. They were able to get up there against Stanford. We shall see.
Fort Lewis is not a great team but you can compare how Cal Poly's defense did against them to how Idaho State's defense did.

Cal Poly gave up no points and only allowed a total of 79 yards, many of which came in the fourth quarter against the reserves. Cal Poly held their QB, Matt Gutierrez, to 2 of 6 passing for 7 yards and 1 INT. As a team Fort Lewis was 3 of 10 for 9 yards passing with no TDs and 1 INT.

Compare that to how Idaho State's defense did. They allow QB Matt Gutierrez to throw for 206 yards on 22 of 29 passes. He also threw for two TDs and no INTs. They gave up 266 total yards to Fort Lewis.

Cal Poly also only gave up only 150 total yards and no points to Weber State on a night where their offense did not help a lot. We will see as the season unfolds, but with the horese Cal Poly has on defense I think they are the real deal.

ThreadStopper
September 10th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Fort Lewis is not a great team but you can compare how Cal Poly's defense did against them to how Idaho State's defense did.

Cal Poly gave up no points and only allowed a total of 79 yards, many of which came in the fourth quarter against the reserves. Cal Poly held their QB, Matt Gutierrez, to 2 of 6 passing for 7 yards and 1 INT. As a team Fort Lewis was 3 of 10 for 9 yards passing with no TDs and 1 INT.

Compare that to how Idaho State's defense did. They allow QB Matt Gutierrez to throw for 206 yards on 22 of 29 passes. He also threw for two TDs and no INTs. They gave up 266 total yards to Fort Lewis.

Cal Poly also only gave up only 150 total yards and no points to Weber State on a night where their offense did not help a lot. We will see as the season unfolds, but with the horese Cal Poly has on defense I think they are the real deal.

Thanks SLOStang! I did not realize Gutierrez had his way with the Idaho State defense. I was feeling pretty good about San Jose until they put so many points on the board and beat the Cardinal.