PDA

View Full Version : CCSU wins 17-13 over Georgia Southern!!!!

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM
We have arrived!

Umass74
September 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM
That's got to be one of the top upsets ever! Congrats to the new power conference...

bulldog10jw
September 9th, 2006, 09:34 PM
We have arrived!

You certainly have. Looks like CCSU is the 1-AA power in the state of CT.

LeopardFan04
September 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Congrats on the big win...the pecking order has certainly been mixed up now...

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Blue Devils Upset #13 Georgia Southern on the Road on Saturday Night
CCSU Moves to 2-0 on the Season with the Win

Sept. 9, 2006

Statesboro, GA - Central Connecticut trailed for only two minutes and 13 seconds in winning its biggest game in school history, topping #13 Georgia Southern 17-13 on Saturday night in Statesboro, GA. The Blue Devils improve to 2-0 on the season with the victory and face Southern Connecticut next weekend. "I have to give credit to all of the kids," head coach Jeff McInerney said following the game. "These kids fought hard and played their tails off to come away with a huge win for this program."

http://ccsubluedevils.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/090906aaa.html

The Cats
September 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Congrats to the new power conference...

one game does not make a power conference :bang:

Dane96
September 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Are you that big of a nitwit...it is called SARCASM!

GAWD!

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
wow. couldn't believe this score when i heard it.

bulldog10jw
September 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Hey Ace,

Since I haven't lived in CT for 16 years, how come Southern didn't become part of the NEC with CCSU and SHU. Weren't all of you and Quinnipiac and U of New Haven in the same Basketball conference at one time?

GSUISBACK
September 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Hello Nebraska
So much talent will now waste away on a "multiple offense"
Disgusting

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Hello Nebraska
So much talent will now waste away on a "multiple offense"
Disgusting

It depends on how you look it. Callahan struggled his first year in Lincoln turning the 'huskers into a balanced offensive. Now that he's been able to recruit his type of players Nebraska will be back very very quickly. In fact, after watching Texas tonight i think they might have a shot in the Big 12. Gotta have patience. Callahan is very good coach, Al Davis is a moron. :twocents:

aceinthehole
September 9th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Ace,

Since I haven't lived in CT for 16 years, how come Southern didn't become part of the NEC with CCSU and SHU. Weren't all of you and Quinnipiac and U of New Haven in the same Basketball conference at one time?

The Connecticut State University (CSU) system has 4 campuses, each is independent, but they are also governed by a shared Board of Trustees. It is totally seperate from the University of Connecticut system.

Central is the oldest and largest. It is the flagship campus. CCSU upgraded from D-II to D-I in 1986.

Southern is D-II and always has been.

Eastern and Western are D-III.

This policy provides Connecticut students with public universities at each NCAA level. Southern will never go D-I (unless D-II is ever abolshied).

Sacred Heart and Quinnipiac are private and upgraded to D-I years after CCSU did. Hartford upgraded the year before Central.

Check out www.ctstateu.edu for more info :)

WCU LawCat
September 9th, 2006, 11:10 PM

GAWD!

Easy now he's a little new. As we saw from Montana St, it only takes a second to get knocked back down to earth.

Tribefan
September 9th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Good day for the CT State U. system. Western Connecticut (D-III) beat up on St. Peter's (I-AA) as well.

dbackjon
September 10th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Congrats to CCSU for the big win!

igo4uni
September 10th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Congrats to CCSU!:hurray: :hurray:

GSU fans: I feel your pain.:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Pard4Life
September 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Wow, congrats on the big win CCSU... although Georgia Southern had many huge questions, it still a shocking win. As we have said here, NEC is up and coming. Hopefully now Georgia Southern will not be ranked in any polls (like they should not have to begin with) and I hope we can revote on their Games of the Week and give it to an NEC conference game. :D

TheValleyRaider
September 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
See, they are for real :nod:

Congrats CCSU! :bow:

Eagles_Cliff
September 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Congrats to CCSU, I know this is a boost to their program. The Blue Devils played hard with enthusiasm like a football team should.

If beating GSU is a boost to another program, then start licking your chops if your on our schedule. We'll probably suck it up good this year and be decent next year and I look for '08 to see us back at the top.

Keeping the option and Sewak would have given us a 3 or 4 td win over CCSU. We would also win several games, make the playoffs and CHOKE in a big game. BVG was hired to take GSU to another level with a completely different philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, this is 1983 for BVG, and I think he can give us an '85-'90.

Umass74
September 10th, 2006, 06:39 PM

GAWD!

I was not being sarcastic. I sincerely mean it was a great win for CCSU. The power conference thing was joshing about the amazin' NEC this year :bow: :bow:

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Congrats to CCSU! God, it was a LONG time ago I saw those poor souls on the CCSU bus after the game 25 years ago tomorrow (9/12/81 - Bill Russo's first at LC) after a 51-0 whupping by Lafayette. You've come a long way, baby!

VAGSU
September 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Congrats to CCSU, I know this is a boost to their program. The Blue Devils played hard with enthusiasm like a football team should.

If beating GSU is a boost to another program, then start licking your chops if your on our schedule. We'll probably suck it up good this year and be decent next year and I look for '08 to see us back at the top.

Keeping the option and Sewak would have given us a 3 or 4 td win over CCSU. We would also win several games, make the playoffs and CHOKE in a big game. BVG was hired to take GSU to another level with a completely different philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, this is 1983 for BVG, and I think he can give us an '85-'90.

Cliff,

I agree. The level of 1-AA programs in general is rising and we need to change to stay ahead and continue to bring Championships to the Boro.

It will also position GSU to better make a transition to 1-A.

AppGuy04
September 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I don't think there will ever be another stretch like Erk had. There is just too much parody now.

flexbone
September 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I hope this means Central Conn is VERY good. But unfortunately I think it means we have fallen and we can't get back up.

AppGuy04
September 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I hope this means Central Conn is VERY good. But unfortunately I think it means we have fallen and we can't get back up.

You may have fallen but I don't see GSU not getting back up

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
HOW in the world did GSU come to schedule CCSU?

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Congrats to CCSU! God, it was a LONG time ago I saw those poor souls on the CCSU bus after the game 25 years ago tomorrow (9/12/81 - Bill Russo's first at LC) after a 51-0 whupping by Lafayette. You've come a long way, baby!

Well, somewhat ironicly for you CCSU is 2-0 for the first time since 1980 (when they were a D-II program) and opened up that season with a win over you Leopards:

9/13/80 - W, 14-3 at Lafayette
9/20/80 - W, 24-0 vs. UMass-Lowell

That season the Blue Devils would finish a disapointing 3-7, but lost 2 close games to current A-10 programs:

10/4/80 - L, 22-28 vs. Towson
11/8/80 - L, 20-21 at Notheastern

... and lost to arch rival Southern Connecticut (5-0 in New Haven) to end the season.

Husky Alum
September 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
HOW in the world did GSU come to schedule CCSU?

As I indicated in the "IF CCSU Goes 11-0...." thread, Northeastern was supposed to return its game that it owed to GSU on September 2 - however NU took a pretty steep payday to play at Virginia Tech, and asked GSU to get out of the game. GSU agreed as long as NU found it a suitable replacement.

As a result, NU found a replacement for GSU - which was CCSU.

JDC325
September 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Wow, congrats on the big win CCSU... although Georgia Southern had many huge questions, it still a shocking win. As we have said here, NEC is up and coming. Hopefully now Georgia Southern will not be ranked in any polls (like they should not have to begin with) and I hope we can revote on their Games of the Week and give it to an NEC conference game. :D

xidiotx