PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State at Montana: who is going?

PantherRob82
July 9th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Who all is heading to Missoula for this one? Any App State fans driving? Thought I heard some crazies mention that. Debating buying season tickets and debating trying to make this game.

Silenoz
July 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM
<---

Also Rob, I went to Mayhem Festival the other week xcoolx

Apphole
July 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Can't make it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdXS2BA3yI

sdgriz24
July 9th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Ill be there. Drunk as piss. Its gonna be a long tailgate :)

ALPHAGRIZ1
July 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Not me...........

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AppMan
July 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
My son and I will be there. Flying into Butte on Friday AM. Heading north to Glacier Natl Park, overnight in Kalispell and Missoula Sat AM. Then its on to Yellowstone Sunday following the Apps big win! I'd like to add a big thank you to whoever was responsible for scheduling the game at 7PM. Flying out Monday after a brief trip by Montana State. It sure extended the sightseeing part of our trip.

How long will it take us to drive from Kalispell to the stadium?

PantherRob82
July 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM
<---

Also Rob, I went to Mayhem Festival the other week xcoolx

So jealous. My friend is on the road with Emmure. I want to see them in Chicago, but I have a few prior commitments that day. We'll see.

Really want to see Emmure and Born of Osiris.

PantherRob82
July 9th, 2013, 05:52 PM
My son and I will be there. Flying into Butte on Friday AM. Heading north to Glacier Natl Park, overnight in Kalispell and Missoula Sat AM. Then its on to Yellowstone Sunday following the Apps big win! I'd like to add a big thank you to whoever was responsible for scheduling the game at 7PM. Flying out Monday after a brief trip by Montana State. It sure extended the sightseeing part of our trip.

Why flying into Butte?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM
So jealous. My friend is on the road with Emmure. I want to see them in Chicago, but I have a few prior commitments that day. We'll see.

Really want to see Emmure and Born of Osiris.

BS! I ain't paying a dime until the paternity test comes back!

813Jag! I might be in a spot here, need some help man! Pm me stat!

IBleedYellow
July 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'd like to, but I don't think it's in the cards.

Saint3333
July 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Jackson Hole Wed, Yellowstone Thur and Fri, Missoula for the weekend.

Two questions:

what bar should we met at Friday night?

Which Griz tailgate should I stop by?

Disclaimer: I'm kind of obnoxious, but my wife is cute ;-).

PantherRob82
July 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
The question is what barS?

Red's, MoClub, Rhino are always a good start.

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Why flying into Butte?

I've had occasion to know the answer to this before, but there is direct flight from Atlanta to Butte. I think it has something to do with ski resorts.

I used to work in Idaho, and passed Missoula on the way. Drove out there solo*. That's how a real man does it. Guy behind the desk at the Red Lion Inn downtown Missoula had a cousin that went to Furman (small world). Ate at some restaurant right along side a creek (want to say it was a Perkins, but that is probably wrong). Nice town.

*it is no small distance between Georgia and North Idaho.

AppMan
July 10th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Why flying into Butte?

It's cheap - $336 round trip - and being midway between Missoula and Yellowstone it allows us to make the best use of our time hitting all the places we wanted to work into the trip.

PantherRob82
July 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM
It's cheap - $336 round trip - and being midway between Missoula and Yellowstone it allows us to make the best use of our time hitting all the places we wanted to work into the trip.

Crazy. I tried booking flights for October. Cheapest flight was from Moline to Missoula. Not even cheaper if I flew out of a hub like Chicago or Mpls.

Bobcat in NC
July 10th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I've had occasion to know the answer to this before, but there is direct flight from Atlanta to Butte. I think it has something to do with ski resorts.

I used to work in Idaho, and passed Missoula on the way. Drove out there solo*. That's how a real man does it. Guy behind the desk at the Red Lion Inn downtown Missoula had a cousin that went to Furman (small world). Ate at some restaurant right along side a creek (want to say it was a Perkins, but that is probably wrong). Nice town.

*it is no small distance between Georgia and North Idaho.

You certain about that? I'm from Butte, and going back there for a week next month, and I'm pretty much positive that the ONLY direct flights into Butte are from Salt Lake City. I'm pretty sure Butte only gets two flights per day (both 50-seaters, one at Noon and one at Midnight), and both go through SLC.

Could you be thinking of Bozeman?

SpeedkingATL
July 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM
90% chance that I won't make the trip and the only road game I'll miss in 2013. Still hoping...........

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2013, 10:15 AM
No dice for me...I'm possibly going to get sucked into going to Grand Forks for the Montana game on 9/14 during NDSU's bye week.

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM
You certain about that? I'm from Butte, and going back there for a week next month, and I'm pretty much positive that the ONLY direct flights into Butte are from Salt Lake City. I'm pretty sure Butte only gets two flights per day (both 50-seaters, one at Noon and one at Midnight), and both go through SLC.

Probably. Many of the flights out west connect in Salt Lake City. I remember that there is a bizzare direct flight from Atlanta to some town in Montana that ferries skiers up and back.

AppMan
July 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Yep. We fly from Charlotte to Salt Lake then to Butte.

asumike83
July 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Tickets purchased, flight booked, condo rented. I'm there!

MSUBobcat
July 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Probably. Many of the flights out west connect in Salt Lake City. I remember that there is a bizzare direct flight from Atlanta to some town in Montana that ferries skiers up and back.

Flights out here depend primarily on what airline you fly. If you connect in SLC, you are flying Delta. It is Bozeman that has direct flights from Atlanta, though its only winter and summer. If I'm not mistaken Bozeman has direct flights to more cities than any other town in MT, even though Billings is the biggest city, due to it's location near Yellowstone (summer) and Big Sky/Moonlight Basin/Bridger Bowl (winter). Because of the demand from tourists, I can easily see Butte being much cheaper to fly into.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Still deciding if i want to track down a single ticket.

OB55
July 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM
We are looking at this one. Our usual digs are full up, so no place nailed down to stay yet, and have my name in for tix alerts for whenever the single game tickets go on sale.

If all comes together, we want to be there.

Saint, you are in for some driving!! Need any Jackson Hole pointers, give me a holler.

Saint3333
July 10th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Likely only have time for lunch and a drink in Jackson Hole, recommendations?

Looking forward to the drive, should be beautiful.

knucklehead
July 10th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I was there last year for the Liberty game. What a place and great atmosphere. Fans were awesome, even cheered for the LU players as they went off the field. Everyone was so nice to us walking through the tailgates - LU gear and all. Wish we had gotten the W, but I loved the experience. I flew from Charlotte to Denver to Missoula - Smoke and all. Can't wait for The Griz to make the trip to Lynchburg in 2015. Williams will be Rockin!

srgrizizen
July 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM

It's about 120 miles, so a little under 3 hours. If you have time, go down the east side of the lake via Bigfork, MT for a MUCH more scenic drive. It's mostly 50 MPH though.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM
It's about 120 miles, so a little under 3 hours. If you have time, go down the east side of the lake via Bigfork, MT for a MUCH more scenic drive. It's mostly 50 MPH though.

yeah, it's worth it though.

PantherRob82
July 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I might have two tickets for the game. Seeing what I can get for them. :)

AppMan
July 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the tip. We looked at it on the map and was unsure which way was the best. With the game at 7PM we've got plenty of time to make that drive.

OB55
July 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Likely only have time for lunch and a drink in Jackson Hole, recommendations?

Looking forward to the drive, should be beautiful.

Teton Thai Plate, on Broadway at the end of a small shopping spur, almost directly across from the Theater down town. It would be about a block and half N of the town square. Killer food, good prices, the Thai iced tea is awesome.

Sly Fox
July 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Following up on Knucklehead, I made the trip up to Missoula for the Liberty game last year and it was a highlight of my season. Even with the smoke ... even with the loss ... the experience was outstanding. Perhaps because we were not known Big Sky competitor, we were overwhelmed by the hospitality before, during and after the game. I love and visit Missoula regularly aside from football. But the marriage of a great town and a great stadium atmosphere is something you App State folks do not want to miss.

One word of warning, the hike up to M is not for the faint of heart if you are not accustomed to altitude. But the views make it worth the time and energy invested.

As for Jackson, I assume a burger is probably a great lunch option. The Bird (http://www.thebirdinjackson.com/) is the word, IMHO. But if you want the over-the-top western experience then Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse (http://cowboysteakhouse.net/) right on the square is a hoot.

Grizo406
July 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I'll be there...you're welcome #1

If anyone wants pictures with me that'll be fine, and there will be no charge, (you're welcome #2). If you want something signed, PLEASE bring your own Sharpie! Again, no charge, (you're welcome #3).

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Ultimately, I think I'm going to attend the MSU-Monmouth openinging week. My trip to Missoula will likely wait until the UM-Cal Poly game

PantherRob82
July 12th, 2013, 08:08 AM
One word of warning, the hike up to M is not for the faint of heart if you are not accustomed to altitude. But the views make it worth the time and energy invested.

As for Jackson, I assume a burger is probably a great lunch option. The Bird (http://www.thebirdinjackson.com/) is the word, IMHO. But if you want the over-the-top western experience then Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse (http://cowboysteakhouse.net/) right on the square is a hoot.

I'm 330 and I made the hike to the M. You might need to pace yourself, but I feel like we were up and back in less than an hour.

PantherRob82
July 12th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Ultimately, I think I'm going to attend the MSU-Monmouth openinging week. My trip to Missoula will likely wait until the UM-Cal Poly game

That would be cool because we will be out for Cal Poly and EWU. Love meeting other FCS fans.

Silenoz
July 12th, 2013, 11:50 AM

Boooo!

...actually the CP game should be a good one too

AshevilleApp2
July 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Toss up at this point.

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM

I think the hike to the M was made worse last year due to the smoke. I remember looking across the stadium and the haze was thick.

SeattleGriz
July 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Seattlegriz will be there! Gonna be in my brothers awesome seats. Here's a photo from the Wofford game.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/wastjer/P1010443.jpg

Grizo406
July 12th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Seattlegriz will be there! Gonna be in my brothers awesome seats. Here's a photo from the Wofford game.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/wastjer/P1010443.jpg

Can't wait to see ya', and have a few beers with a good friend! (You're welcome #4).

dewey
July 13th, 2013, 05:22 AM

That sounds like a great trip. I love GNP!

Dewey

Sly Fox
July 13th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I think the hike to the M was made worse last year due to the smoke. I remember looking across the stadium and the haze was thick.

That certainly could have been the case. The smoke was very thick that weekend. I stayed up there a bit for photography but it was about 1:20 round trip for me. From the stadium it looks like a quick hike. But it is just an optical illusion.

For the record, I admit I was a bit shocked to see a road running under the corner of the stadium. Post-9/11 that seems unfathomable. But I get why it was done.