PDA

View Full Version : Who Are The Darkhorses?

Seabiscuit
July 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM
What teams not on the radar will make noise in 2013? State your case.

frozennorth
July 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM
cal poly

Seabiscuit
July 6th, 2013, 05:05 AM
cal poly

Cal Poly is on the radar. I'm thinking teams who either don't have playoff history or may not be ranked to start the season.

darell1976
July 6th, 2013, 05:48 AM
North Dakota. With seven home games, a great receiving core, and new defensive coaches UND could make a lot of noise in the Big Sky. The only good team they face on the road is NAU.

Pard4Life
July 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Lafayette possibly.... we have a solid core of guys returning on both sides of the ball where injuries really hurt us last year. The younger, more talented, and deeper classes are finally sophs and juniors. And, of the games we lost last year, they were all close losses. Plus, Lehigh and Colgate lost some major pieces.

However, we have a head coach called Frankosaurus who is good for at least 2-3 losses by himself.

CFBfan
July 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Lafayette possibly.... we have a solid core of guys returning on both sides of the ball where injuries really hurt us last year. The younger, more talented, and deeper classes are finally sophs and juniors. And, of the games we lost last year, they were all close losses. Plus, Lehigh and Colgate lost some major pieces.

However, we have a head coach called Frankosaurus who is good for at least 2-3 losses by himself.

Good pick pard, who did colgate loose?

blueballs
July 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Samford, Chatty, and Citadel. At least one of these teams will make the playoffs and all three are tough and physical.

BEAR
July 6th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Funny to actually say this, but McNeese.

Sam and UCA "appear" to be the favorites returning but McNeese was just a few plays away from turning the conference upside down last year. Sam proved what an asset a running game meant while UCA's QB Smothers proved how valuable a running game can be in critical moments. But I think McNeese just "lost" games instead of winning them. Hope they get that figured out so 3 SLC teams can make it this year.

The Maestro
July 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM

You heard it here first!

LUHawker
July 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Sorry Pard, but Lafayette hasn't shown signs of improvement over the past 3 years. In fact, it seems like they get worse as the season progresses.

Also, of the games you lost last year, they weren't all close: apparently you are already forgetting about #148. :D

Ivytalk
July 6th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Dartmouth, because Go Green will certainly say so!:D

Pard4Life
July 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Good pick pard, who did colgate loose?

Colgate lost their entire offensive line, even though they have an All-American QB returning. Based upon the nature of their offense, OL experience is the absolute key to success... it is probably unlikely that they will be 'seasoned' before the halfway mark, and their defense was suspect all of last year. I think they have your average 3-4 losses on the D side...

Pard4Life
July 6th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Sorry Pard, but Lafayette hasn't shown signs of improvement over the past 3 years. In fact, it seems like they get worse as the season progresses.

Also, of the games you lost last year, they weren't all close: apparently you are already forgetting about #148. :D

Yes, there has been improvement... I am at all of the game. 2010 was horrible. 2011 was not great, but not as bad, and 2012 was 'oh so close.' There are flashes in the pan, but we need to sustain the positive things... you can say the past two seasons were about 'learning how to win.' 148 was close... we were winning at halftime if I recall, but it was over by the 4th. Depth is greater this year, so if injuries do strike like they have in the past, we may be able to do ok.

We definitely have a shot this year.

TheRevSFA
July 6th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Southeastern Louisiana. They have a great coach in Ron Roberts who knows how to get talent out of his players

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Lehigh will end the season ranked. The talent level is high and the coaching staff has been stable.

CID1990
July 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Samford, Chatty, and Citadel. At least one of these teams will make the playoffs and all three are tough and physical.

I'd drop Chatty. They are already on the radar, and this year the title is theirs to lose.

Wofford is going to surprise some people in that they might struggle to make the playoffs.

Sent from the center of the universe.

SU DOG
July 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM
It's been a long and slow progression, but Samford has top tier SoCon talent this year. The players that graduated are being replaced with kids that are actually more talented. I hope I'm not being overly optimistic, but barring injuries, I think we can be as good as any team we face except the Razorbacks. One thing for sure - the last playoffs year(1992) was a LONG time ago, and the fans, and I believe the team, are all hungry for that next step. I'm not one to make gaudy predictions, but I saw in the spring, a team that is IMO loaded. We have been overlooked in the polls, and maybe that is a good thing. I look for the Dogs to surprise some folks this season.

lionsrking2
July 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Southeastern Louisiana. They have a great coach in Ron Roberts who knows how to get talent out of his players

Our schedule is very tough but I'm optimistic this is the year we break through and make the playoffs. We return 17 starters, and have added several impact FBS/JC transfers to the mix. Oregon transfer QB, Bryan Bennett, was as good as advertised this spring and we're as deep as we've ever been on both lines of scrimmage. Not to mention we have an outstanding coaching staff. We'll have to win some tough ones on the road, and hold serve at home, but I think this team is very capable.

SU DOG
July 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Our schedule is very tough but I'm optimistic this is the year we break through and make the playoffs. We return 17 starters, and have added several impact FBS/JC transfers to the mix. Oregon transfer QB, Bryan Bennett, was as good as advertised this spring and we're as deep as we've ever been on both lines of scrimmage. Not to mention we have an outstanding coaching staff. We'll have to win some tough ones on the road, and hold serve at home, but I think this team is very capable.

I agree the lions will be tough. That Sept game at Samford should be a real slobber-knocker.

lionsrking2
July 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I agree the lions will be tough. That Sept game at Samford should be a real slobber-knocker.

We're looking forward to it ... could very well be a defining game for both of us, as the season plays out.

We had a decent basketball rivalry beginning to brew with you guys when we were in the old TAAC (now Atlantic Sun) together, in the mid 90's. Of course, we moved the SLC and haven't played since in any sport.

slostang
July 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM
There was talk at one point that Bryan Bennett was considering Cal Poly. Would of loved to see him wearing a Mustang uniform. I think he will be a great QB for the Lions.

Pard4Life
July 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Lehigh will end the season ranked. The talent level is high and the coaching staff has been stable.

Wow... real bold darkhorse prediction there... all Lehigh has to do to be ranked is win two games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Wow... real bold darkhorse prediction there... all Lehigh has to do to be ranked is win two games.

I think they'll need to do better than 2-9 to be ranked in the final poll....

lionsrking2
July 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM
There was talk at one point that Bryan Bennett was considering Cal Poly. Would of loved to see him wearing a Mustang uniform. I think he will be a great QB for the Lions.

We got lucky with Bennett. Our coaching staff has a connection and he already had a comfort level down here having worked the Manning Passing Academy at Nicholls State. He's got the physical ability and leadership qualities to be a championship QB. Hope we can keep him healthy.

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Someone want a darkhorse? Consider Holy Cross.

The Crusaders finished 2-9, but....five losses were by four points or less.

Sep 15, 2012 Brown 24, Holy Cross 21
Sep 22, 2012 Dartmouth 13, Holy Cross 10
Oct 27, 2012 Fordham 36, Holy Cross 32
Nov 03, 2012 Lehigh 36, Holy Cross 35
Nov. 10 2012 Wagner 31, Holy Cross 30

With nine returning starters on defense, this is a team that could flip that record in short order with QB Ryan Laughlin and someone stepping up in the backfield. HC has a somewhat favorable schedule, with home games against Towson, Monmouth, Harvard (big plus at home and not in Cambridge), Colgate, Lafayette, and Georgetown, and on the road at Bryant, Central Connecticut, Dartmouth, Bucknell, Fordham, and Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 6th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Someone want a darkhorse? Consider Holy Cross.

The Crusaders finished 2-9, but....five losses were by four points or less.

Sep 15, 2012 Brown 24, Holy Cross 21
Sep 22, 2012 Dartmouth 13, Holy Cross 10
Oct 27, 2012 Fordham 36, Holy Cross 32
Nov 03, 2012 Lehigh 36, Holy Cross 35
Nov. 10 2012 Wagner 31, Holy Cross 30

With nine returning starters on defense, this is a team that could flip that record in short order with QB Ryan Laughlin and someone stepping up in the backfield. HC has a somewhat favorable schedule, with home games against Towson, Monmouth, Harvard (big plus at home and not in Cambridge), Colgate, Lafayette, and Georgetown, and on the road at Bryant, Central Connecticut, Dartmouth, Bucknell, Fordham, and Lehigh.

HC seems to be stuck in the 6-5/7-4 rut. The exception was obviously in 2009, Randolph's Sr. season. They're a well coached team that's a step behind in talent imo.

Gater
July 6th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Holy Cross' out-of-conference schedule last year was all teams with winning records: UNH (8-4), Harvard (8-2), Brown (7-3), Dartmouth (6-4) and Wagner (9-4)--even throw in Fordham at 6 and 5. Certainly helps their potential dark horse status.

PantherRob82
July 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
This thread is racist. What about the lighthorses?!

clenz
July 6th, 2013, 08:56 PM
dark horses can't be racist rob.....only light horses because light horses from over 150 years ago made dark horses do the farm work that they didn't want to do....

skinny_uncle
July 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Anyone in the MVFC not called the Bison.

dewey
July 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I don't remember if SIU was ranked or not but I would say Southern Illinois. They always have a good defense and if they could get some production out of their quarterback they could be tough.

Dewey

ngineer
July 6th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Harry Lee of Virginia!

Vitojr130
July 6th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Valpo!

That intense receiving core, that not-so-southern speed, the big ol' midwestern linemen...
You all wait and see.

xlolx

ngineer
July 6th, 2013, 10:47 PM
With none of the PL teams in a preseason Top 20, one could consider any of the PL contenders to be 'darkhorses'. Colgate, Lehigh, Holy Cross and Lafayette all have enough talent to be in the hunt for the PL title. Of coure, Fordham is still not eligible for the PL title, but certainly appear to be have the horses to be get consideration for an at-large. While 'gate has a great QB, if they are not able to block for him, it won't matter. HC was not far from a winning season last year despite a 2-9 record. Lafayette has some nice players reaching 'maturity', but the question will be depth. Lehigh needs to find a QB from a stable of 4 contenders.

CFBfan
July 7th, 2013, 08:47 AM

i don't see LU as a "dark horse" i would think expectations are reasonably high?

CFBfan
July 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
HC seems to be stuck in the 6-5/7-4 rut. The exception was obviously in 2009, Randolph's Sr. season. They're a well coached team that's a step behind in talent imo.

I don't think thet are all that weel coached. without randolph what has gilmore done? and put in there 2 straight lossed to GU in the past 3 seasons

carney2
July 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM

P4L and I are on the same page. Specific positives for the Pards:

The QB position may be entering its golden age. 6'5" junior Zach Zweizig should be the starter, with incoming freshman Drew Reed beginning his apprenticeship. Both have the potential to be excellent.

The DB positions took a hit when last year's freshman phenom Kyle Sakowski transferred out under a cloud. The Pards are so deep and talented back there that he will barely be missed.

After 3 years of bad play and lots of phantom blocks, the OL appears ready to make some noise.

6'7", 245 TE Brandon Hall could be great if Tavani can figure out how to use him.

Junior RB Ross Scheuerman is the real deal. Unfortunately, he is a Mr. Outside playing for The Frankosaurus who believes that football is played between the tackles. 248 lb. FB Greg Kessel has been switched to tailback. Who knows, it might work.

No returning starters at LB, but the insiders feel that this position is well manned.

Mark Ross is the best returning WR in the Patriot League.

The biggest problems are at DL and K. And, of course, the team would be best served if Tavani would stay home on Saturdays and watch the games on TV.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
i don't see LU as a "dark horse" i would think expectations are reasonably high?

I think expectations are reasonably high given the returning starters on offense along with a few key contributors on defense. The two biggest questions are at DL and QB. QB is actually less of a concern given the skill guys and OL, the two strengths of the team heading into the season. The DL just needs depth.

carney2
July 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I agree. A steady diet of cupcakes will do that for you. The UNH game is way beyond critical for this team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 7th, 2013, 09:20 AM
P4L and I are on the same page. Specific positives for the Pards:

The QB position may be entering its golden age. 6'5" junior Zach Zweizig should be the starter, with incoming freshman Drew Reed beginning his apprenticeship. Both have the potential to be excellent.

The DB positions took a hit when last year's freshman phenom Kyle Sakowski transferred out under a cloud. The Pards are so deep and talented back there that he will barely be missed.

After 3 years of bad play and lots of phantom blocks, the OL appears ready to make some noise.

6'7", 245 TE Brandon Hall could be great if Tavani can figure out how to use him.

Junior RB Ross Scheuerman is the real deal. Unfortunately, he is a Mr. Outside playing for The Frankosaurus who believes that football is played between the tackles. 248 lb. FB Greg Kessel has been switched to tailback. Who knows, it might work.

No returning starters at LB, but the insiders feel that this position is well manned.

Mark Ross is the best returning WR in the Patriot League.

The biggest problems are at DL and K. And, of course, the team would be best served if Tavani would stay home on Saturdays and watch the games on TV.

The position battles between Lehigh and Lafayette guys could be interesting this year

TE - Coyle vs Hall
WR - Kurfis vs Ross
RB - Sherman vs Scheuerman

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Three other teams I'd watch out for are Delaware, McNeese State and SIU.

Bogus Megapardus
July 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
However, we have a head coach called Frankosaurus

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3628/8wj.png

Bam
July 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
EKU. Defense will be strong and offense will be capable. New QB with alot of ingame experience.

carney2
July 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3628/8wj.png

You daMan, Bogie, with photo enhancement and editing. I'm on my second version of Photoshop (CS5) and have no idea how to use it. CS6 is a non-starter now that Adobe has gone to a fleece your wallet monthly "rental" plan.

Bogus Megapardus
July 7th, 2013, 12:36 PM
You daMan, Bogie, with photo enhancement and editing. I'm on my second version of Photoshop (CS5) and have no idea how to use it. CS6 is a non-starter now that Adobe has gone to a fleece your wallet monthly "rental" plan.

You don't even need Photoshop. Start with Paint.NET, an easy to use program that handles layers (the most important thing). Paint.NET is the most un-daunting way to learn about using layers.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Once you're accustomed to handling the layers, stacks and masks and you can manipulate the tools, then work up to GIMP - a little more challenging but it will do 90% of what Photoshop does.

http://www.gimp.org/

Both are completely, absolutely free. BTW the Frankosaurus Chalkboard is done completely with Paint.NET, using "Chalkboard" font. The "Frank" poster above was done this morning on Gimp.

Sitting Bull
July 7th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Homer pick but I would certainly include W&M among the group.

Coming off a 2-9 season with finally, a QB and quality returnees. Lost a lot of very close games last year, most on the road against ranked teams.

Bogus Megapardus
July 7th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I couldn't resist . . . .

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5977/gwve.png

frozennorth
July 7th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'm going to throw NOCO out there and hope for the best. They won 4 of their last 5 games last year, and have improved in each of the last two years.

heath
July 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM

nerds will always be nerdsxnodx Please do one of the bus NERD. You my fan are probably the highlight of the tailgate with your nerd phone.Right? Jeezxrotatehx

CFBfan
July 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Bogie you need to put a cupcake in his hand.....

Bogus Megapardus
July 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM
You are probably the highlight of the tailgate with your nerd phone. Right?

Oh, if you met me I think you'd be surprised.

Bogie you need to put a cupcake in his hand.....

In addition to the cupcakes in his belly?

ngineer
July 7th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Oh, if you met me I think you'd be surprised.

In addition to the cupcakes in his belly?

A good number of those 'cupcakes' have leopard spotted icing...(;-)

ngineer
July 7th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I think expectations are reasonably high given the returning starters on offense along with a few key contributors on defense. The two biggest questions are at DL and QB. QB is actually less of a concern given the skill guys and OL, the two strengths of the team heading into the season. The DL just needs depth.

Actually, besides QB, I'd list PK as the second biggest ?? The DL does not have any returning "names" but there is known talent there. Not so with the PK situation. It appears to me we may be relying on a true freshman based on what I saw at the Spring game.

WestCoastAggie
July 7th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Tenn. State, Wofford & Northern Arizona

PaladinFan
July 7th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Can Wofford really be a dark horse? I mean, they played NDSU to a darn near draw in Fargo last season in the playoffs.

To me, a dark horse is a team you don't see coming. Wofford has firmly established itself as a perennial top 10 program in the FCS.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 7th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Delaware will exceed expectations by several games and make the playoffs in their first year under Brock.

PAllen
July 7th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Actually, besides QB, I'd list PK as the second biggest ?? The DL does not have any returning "names" but there is known talent there. Not so with the PK situation. It appears to me we may be relying on a true freshman based on what I saw at the Spring game.

Lehigh hasn't had talent at PK in quite some time, so I'm not worried about relying on a new kid.

As far as darkhorses go, I'll go with Lafayette. They've got a great QB. If the WRs step it up a little bit and the rest of the team steps it up a little bit more, and the coach steps it up a lot (or just stays out of it), the boys in Easton could easily make a run.

DFW HOYA
July 7th, 2013, 10:03 PM
As far as darkhorses go, I'll go with Lafayette. They've got a great QB. If the WRs step it up a little bit and the rest of the team steps it up a little bit more, and the coach steps it up a lot (or just stays out of it), the boys in Easton could easily make a run.

The problem is the schedule: only one home game between Sept. 14 and Nov. 9. Penn, Princeton and Harvard are all on the road.

Gil Dobie
July 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I can see UNI going 10-2 and winning the MVFC title.

DSUrocks07
July 7th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Delaware State will knock off Delaware this year and play Towson AND NDSU tough. The conference schedule sets up favorably for us. xpopcornx

BisonFan02
July 7th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Delaware State will knock off Delaware this year and play Towson AND NDSU tough. The conference schedule sets up favorably for us. xpopcornx

http://images.wikia.com/battlefield/images/5/5f/Soon-honey-bear-bottle.jpg

:D

Seabiscuit
July 7th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Well done AGSers. Darkhorses are long shots for a reason but looks like we have several worth tracking over the course of 2013.

MSUDuo
July 8th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Missouri State

I know, been hearing that one for 20 years

SumItUp
July 8th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Liberty

knucklehead
July 8th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Yup. Watch out for Liberty!

PantherRob82
July 8th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Missouri State

If you're not joking..... xtroublex

PantherRob82
July 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I can see UNI going 10-2 and winning the MVFC title.

I could see it. Likely? Probably not. We just don't seem to have what it takes to win the close games or big games anymore. We do have a veteran QB for once, so that makes a big difference.

THE HERD
July 8th, 2013, 10:07 AM
It wouldn't shock me if UNI won the MVFC or at least had a share of the title. They have a lot of young talent returning with the most important one being Mr. Kollmorgen. Barring major injury issues they are a playoff lock in my opinion. Should be another great game in the FargoDome this fall.

clenz
July 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Missouri State

This might be the year you outscore your opponents....doubt it though

Maybe win more than 6 games?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2013, 10:24 AM
It wouldn't shock me if UNI won the MVFC or at least had a share of the title. They have a lot of young talent returning with the most important one being Mr. Kollmorgen. Barring major injury issues they are a playoff lock in my opinion. Should be another great game in the FargoDome this fall.

That's the problem, they both play at the Dome and at Kitty Litter Field. Both of those will be murder.

Sly Fox
July 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM
It seems this board has turned into a Patriot League love-fest lately. Based on the parameters in the opening posts, Liberty must be included on the list. Unranked and with no playoff appearances, it would be tough to leave the Flames off any such list. And to the CCU poster early in the thread, the Chants wouldn't be classified a darkhorse in this thread.

knucklehead
July 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Yea, most have CCU Ranked, so they are out. LU will make lots of noise.

CID1990
July 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM
The Big South autobid is always a dark horse right up until the first playoff game is played.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM
The Big South autobid is always a dark horse right up until the first playoff game is played.

Well the same can be said for the Big Sky on occasion.

carney2
July 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM
The problem is the schedule: only one home game between Sept. 14 and Nov. 9. Penn, Princeton and Harvard are all on the road.

Yes, but all of the named opponents are OOC. The Pards admittedly have a difficult OOC schedule:

Sacred Heart = Cupcake
W&M = CAA
Pennsylvania = Superior on paper
Princeton = A dead certain loss, even if your grandmother and her quilting friends are suited up for Tigger
Harvard = On paper, on the field, not looking winnable

When the Pards get to the Patriot League however, I'm thinking they are picking on people their own size.

SumItUp
July 8th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Yea, most have CCU Ranked, so they are out. LU will make lots of noise.

If I remember correctly, both the Big South teams won their first game last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Yes, but all of the named opponents are OOC. The Pards admittedly have a difficult OOC schedule:

Sacred Heart = Cupcake
W&M = CAA
Pennsylvania = Superior on paper
Princeton = A dead certain loss, even if your grandmother and her quilting friends are suited up for Tigger
Harvard = On paper, on the field, not looking winnable

When the Pards get to the Patriot League however, I'm thinking they are picking on people their own size.

It didn't work out too well last year. Lafayette had 3 OOC wins, W&M, Penn and Yale yet only two W's in the PL. In fact, over the last 3 years, Lafayette has more OOC wins than PL wins.

In 2012, Lafayette lost by 21 to Princeton, 24 to Colgate and 17 to Lehigh along with losses to Georgetown and Robert Morris. The Leopards still have a lot to prove.

CFBfan
July 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
It didn't work out too well last year. Lafayette had 3 OOC wins, W&M, Penn and Yale yet only two W's in the PL. In fact, over the last 3 years, Lafayette has more OOC wins than PL wins.

In 2012, Lafayette lost by 21 to Princeton, 24 to Colgate and 17 to Lehigh along with losses to Georgetown and Robert Morris. The Leopards still have a lot to prove.

Now that's some smack!!!

citdog
July 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM
DARKNESS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18gElAzSL4E

813Jag
July 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM

http://www.newsmanateearchive.com/Graphic%20--%20Shots%20Fired.jpg

813Jag
July 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
DARKNESS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18gElAzSL4E

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYKfgiJ5gpSKTMinjWmmTI6LumfbAFs ukG_0g49OzZXoO7al8y

ccd494
July 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Should have just titled this one, "What team do you root for?"

Lehigh'98
July 8th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Exactly, my team is a dark horse cuz I said so.

carney2
July 8th, 2013, 03:11 PM

And here's a dose of reality for ya - last year was...well, last year.

P4L and I are sayin' that you shouldn't be terribly surprised if the Pard team coming out of October isn't the one you're used to seeing. The biggest thing that you "same old-same old" guys have going for you is The Frankosaurus. We Frankly (pun intended) admit to no improvement there.

knucklehead
July 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Exactly, my team is a dark horse cuz I said so.

In the case of my team (Liberty) there is no talk about us, no ranking, never been to the playoffs, but a lot of talent and a great staff. So yea - darkhorse.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 8th, 2013, 03:22 PM

I would say a darkhorse is someone who is not in the preseason top 25.

WestCoastAggie
July 8th, 2013, 04:08 PM
http://www.newsmanateearchive.com/Graphic%20--%20Shots%20Fired.jpg

#lol#

GoAgs72
July 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM
UC Davis. Always a good program but kind of lost its way in the FCS transition. There was a definite need for new leadership and Coach Gould seems to be providing that. He was an FBS coach (from Cal) and has a reputation as an expert recruiter. We are now recruiting much more widely and enthusiasm has increased on both the team and among fans. They will be a dark horse this year but I think improvement will be rapid.

Lehigh'98
July 8th, 2013, 06:29 PM
U
In the case of my team (Liberty) there is no talk about us, no ranking, never been to the playoffs, but a lot of talent and a great staff. So yea - darkhorse.

Isn't Liberty the favorite to win the Big South, guaranteeing a playoff spot?

Lehigh'98
July 8th, 2013, 06:32 PM
And here's a dose of reality for ya - last year was...well, last year.

P4L and I are sayin' that you shouldn't be terribly surprised if the Pard team coming out of October isn't the one you're used to seeing. The biggest thing that you "same old-same old" guys have going for you is The Frankosaurus. We Frankly (pun intended) admit to no improvement there.

Would definitely make the season and league more interesting if Lafayette is good this year. The league is wide open and it has a chance to gain some ooc respect. It would make up for that Bob Morris debacle last year.

Pard4Life
July 8th, 2013, 10:40 PM

We are closer than you think. Bob Morris was a disaster and we did not take a winless team seriously, and we believed we were better than we were. Watching the Bucknell game as an obvious clue. Plus two very bad calls resulted in turnovers for us and RMU TDs early in the game. If we go up 14-0 Bob may have rolled over.

But no the usual happens. A bad and hard fought loss results in an automatic loss the next week. And lo and behold who was next? Princeton. They could have the six-year old from the Nebraska spring game start at RB and he'd run for 300 and 4 TDs on us. That, and we have key players thinking they are in school only for football, not academics.

Gtown loss was also inexcusable. Gtown and RMU were two games where we did not know how to win. Colgate: our coaches caught on to Colgates plan and defense too late.

And yes the Frankosaurus is holding us back. We could have had some 9 win teams and possibly a ten for a few years and the Frankosaurus did his job.

ZZ has the fire... just needs some composure and he'd be the next Curley.

Pard4Life
July 8th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Would definitely make the season and league more interesting if Lafayette is good this year. The league is wide open and it has a chance to gain some ooc respect. It would make up for that Bob Morris debacle last year.

Yup, not sold on Colgate... OL is gone, which makes that offense run, and defense continues to be suspect. Lehigh has a QB question but since Tavani is not your coach it will take care of itself by week 3. Your defense has questions too. Gtown... eh maybe but their offense is bad. HC... close games last year... BU has defense but no offense, but a promising kid QB. They need big uglies badly. Fordham would win it if they were eligible.

So if LC gets their act together it may very well be LC-LU for the title.

Pard4Life
July 8th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Ivy dark horse: Princeton. They have a real shot to be a spoiler and could have been if not for a weird loss at Cornell.

Deep sleeper from Ivy: Dartmouth.

BisonFan02
July 8th, 2013, 11:00 PM
When it's all said and done...at least the Pards put points on the board against us a couple years back. :D

ngineer
July 8th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Can Wofford really be a dark horse? I mean, they played NDSU to a darn near draw in Fargo last season in the playoffs.

To me, a dark horse is a team you don't see coming. Wofford has firmly established itself as a perennial top 10 program in the FCS.

Good observation. Wofford does not qualify as a darkhorse.

rokamortis
July 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM
U

It will be tight between Coastal and Liberty as to who will be named the favorite. Coastal probably has the edge from a reputation standpoint to be named the favorite but they play Liberty at home where Liberty hasn't lost to a BSC team in a few years.

knucklehead
July 9th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Since Coastal got the auto bid last year, and won 1 playoff game, they have been ranked in a couple of polls and will likely be the pre-season favorite. Liberty is off the radar right now. But yes we have CCU at Williams Stadium. The home team in this rivalry has won for years, and yes LU has an 18 game home BSC win streak http://www.liberty.edu/flames/?PID=10869&NewsID=10940

carney2
July 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yup, not sold on Colgate... OL is gone, which makes that offense run, and defense continues to be suspect. Lehigh has a QB question but since Tavani is not your coach it will take care of itself by week 3. Your defense has questions too. Gtown... eh maybe but their offense is bad. HC... close games last year... BU has defense but no offense, but a promising kid QB. They need big uglies badly. Fordham would win it if they were eligible.

So if LC gets their act together it may very well be LC-LU for the title.

I've always been the outlier in Lafayette discussions, but I find myself agreeing with this guy pretty much 100% this year. Very depressing. I've lost my edge.

Anyway, for at least the 27th time on this site, Colgate is McCarney and exactly what? Lehigh will munch a lot of cupcakes on the way to a good record, but do they really have what it takes? Fordham can outscore anyone in the League, but is eligible for nothing. Bucknell, Georgetown and Holy cross will each have their moments, but don't have what it takes to challenge. Lafayette, on the other hand, is the only PL team where you begin by pointing out the positives instead of the holes.

Sly Fox
July 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM
U

As we have learned in Lynchburg, winning at least a share of the Big South has little to do with guaranteeing a playoff spot. We were left out last year in another 3-way tie for 1st.

WeAreNorthDakota
July 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I'm going to throw NOCO out there and hope for the best. They won 4 of their last 5 games last year, and have improved in each of the last two years.

I'll second Northern Colorado. About time they crawled out of the FCS basement. Looking forward to seeing them back in Grand Forks to finish off our home schedule after two close games the last two seasons.

bjtheflamesfan
July 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM

You heard it here first!

They gota get over the sizable hump that is Williams Stadium first (where they havent won since 2005, and that was a 3 OT game against a 1-7 team at the time)

bjtheflamesfan
July 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Since Coastal got the auto bid last year, and won 1 playoff game, they have been ranked in a couple of polls and will likely be the pre-season favorite. Liberty is off the radar right now. But yes we have CCU at Williams Stadium. The home team in this rivalry has won for years, and yes LU has an 18 game home BSC win streak http://www.liberty.edu/flames/?PID=10869&NewsID=10940

Agree with all the sentiments here...Liberty blew the Chants out of the stadium the last three times they have come here (37-24 but it wasnt that close, 58-13 and 63-27) so you have to think that specter is going to be on the mind of Coach Moglia and the players that were on the team for either of the last two blowout losses

UNDBIZ
July 9th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'll second Northern Colorado. About time they crawled out of the FCS basement. Looking forward to seeing them back in Grand Forks to finish off our home schedule after two close games the last two seasons.

I'll 3rd NoCo as a possible darkhorse. Program had good history in D2 and it looks like they may finally be ready to do something in FCS. They won't win the BSC, but could slip into the playoffs and upset somebody. Unfortunately, we UND fans will need to wait 1 more year for a new head coach and then watch out, playoff run here we come!

darell1976
July 9th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I'll 3rd NoCo as a possible darkhorse. Program had good history in D2 and it looks like they may finally be ready to do something in FCS. They won't win the BSC, but could slip into the playoffs and upset somebody. Unfortunately, we UND fans will need to wait 1 more year for a new head coach and then watch out, playoff run here we come!

Unless that head coach is Dale Lennon just replacing Muss with someone else is not a sure trip to the playoffs.

UNDBIZ
July 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Unless that head coach is Dale Lennon just replacing Muss with someone else is not a sure trip to the playoffs.

It'd certainly be an improvement. Even when we went 8-3 I still didn't like Muss.

rokamortis
July 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Agree with all the sentiments here...Liberty blew the Chants out of the stadium the last three times they have come here (37-24 but it wasnt that close, 58-13 and 63-27) so you have to think that specter is going to be on the mind of Coach Moglia and the players that were on the team for either of the last two blowout losses
You guys are putting an awful lot on history between two staffs who are both in their second year.

darell1976
July 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM
It'd certainly be an improvement. Even when we went 8-3 I still didn't like Muss.

Too bad 3 of those wins were non DI teams.

FCSfan
July 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
the expanded playoff field should help resolve that sort of situation don't you think?

FCSfan
July 11th, 2013, 09:38 AM
totally agree
how do you see the paladins as a darkhorse? or do you expect them to be a frontrunner?

The Maestro
July 11th, 2013, 03:27 PM
They gota get over the sizable hump that is Williams Stadium first (where they havent won since 2005, and that was a 3 OT game against a 1-7 team at the time)

Hence the adjective "darkhorse"......giddy-up Chants!

Redbirdz
July 11th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Chatty, Samford, not so much. I would say Jacksonville State with a new coach and lots of talent.

PAllen
July 11th, 2013, 11:43 PM
If the rumor is true about the DL transfer to Fordham, I change my pick to Fordham.

SU DOG
July 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Chatty, Samford, not so much. I would say Jacksonville State with a new coach and lots of talent.

JSU should certainly be better without Crowe, and they have always had tremendous talent. Samford has not always had talent, especially when we were in the OVC. Yes, I'm sure you remember the so-called rivalry game became a joke as JSU would destroy Samford year after year. This is not the Samford that was, I promise you. The Bulldogs now have players who are at the same level as the better FCS teams. Watch lists and AA lists prove we have the players, but polls show we don't have the history.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2013, 08:34 AM
If the rumor is true about the DL transfer to Fordham, I change my pick to Fordham.

Fordham will be a good team. Their schedule is pretty difficult though. 8-4 should get them in playoff discussion...

PAllen
July 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Fordham will be a good team. Their schedule is pretty difficult though. 8-4 should get them in playoff discussion...

I don't know about that. 9-3 maybe, but I can't see 4 losses there that still make them contenders for a playoff spot. URI is CAA in name only, St. Francis ain't much, so losses to Villanova, Temple, Lehigh, and Colgate, and there's not much left from a national reputation standpoint. Beat Temple and they're in with 3 losses, beat Villanova, and they're in the discussion. Beat Lehigh or Colgate, and you better hope that they go undefeated the rest of their season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see a PL team getting in with 4 losses, expanded playoffs and FBS games or not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I don't know about that. 9-3 maybe, but I can't see 4 losses there that still make them playoff eligible. URI is CAA in name only, St. Francis ain't much, so losses to Villanova, Temple, Lehigh, and Colgate, and there's not much left from a national reputation standpoint. Beat Temple and they're in with 3 losses, beat Villanova, and they're in the discussion. Beat Lehigh or Colgate, and you better hope that they go undefeated the rest of their season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see a PL team getting in with 4 losses, expanded playoffs and FBS games or not.

9-3 and I think they're in. 8-4 and they're in the conversation or "discussion" but not likely to make it. I'm still trying to figure out why Temple is playing Fordham. If more than 17k show up for that one I'll be shocked.

IMO, Fordham is one year away from making a serious run. Next season they'll be at their limit which should give them a leg up. This year they need to make a move towards that imo.

Their talent still isn't where it was under Clawson. That Dudley, Eakin and Watson team was really good.

After next season things could get dicey again on Rose Hill. Fordham still faces certain limitations, especially facility wise, when compared to everyone not named Georgetown in the league.

CFBfan
July 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM

I don't see any way a 4 loss PL team is in the conversation unless they win the AQ and FU can not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I don't see any way a 4 loss PL team is in the conversation unless they win the AQ and FU can not.

Beat Villanova lose to Colgate, Temple, Lehigh and Lafayette and they're in the "conversation". There's no way they wouldn't be one of the 30/35 teams considered.

geaux_sioux
July 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Ill be serving up an extremely cold dish of crow for you if we make the playoffs under Mussman.

CFBfan
July 12th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Beat Villanova lose to Colgate, Temple, Lehigh and Lafayette and they're in the "conversation". There's no way they wouldn't be one of the 30/35 teams considered.

You can NOT loose 3 league games especialy 3 PL games and "be in the conversation" If anything your scenario would be detrimental to Nova.

UNDBIZ
July 12th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Ill be serving up an extremely cold dish of crow for you if we make the playoffs under Mussman.

I hope you get the opportunity and I hope it doesn't take another 6 years.

darell1976
July 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I hope you get the opportunity and I hope it doesn't take another 6 years.

If UND doesn't make the playoffs this season...fire him after the UC Davis game.

The Maestro
July 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I don't know about that. 9-3 maybe, but I can't see 4 losses there that still make them contenders for a playoff spot. URI is CAA in name only, St. Francis ain't much, so losses to Villanova, Temple, Lehigh, and Colgate, and there's not much left from a national reputation standpoint. Beat Temple and they're in with 3 losses, beat Villanova, and they're in the discussion. Beat Lehigh or Colgate, and you better hope that they go undefeated the rest of their season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see a PL team getting in with 4 losses, expanded playoffs and FBS games or not.

who are teams that you see across country that deserve to get in with 4 losses even assuming the 4 are against their 4 most accomplished opponents? can there be that many out there that play that kind of schedule? i guess with 32 there's a lot more latitude but 7-4 is pretty dubious for deserving a place at the table unless you play in one of the traditionally big 4 conferences have 2 fbs schools on calendar and your 2 in-fcs losses were to top 20 schools.

otherwise me thinking joe's scheduling theory at lu deserves to have a 9-2 hawk team in playoffs every time

ps pioneer gets an auto this year, right? does every conference get its' champ in? if not, shouldn't they?

bojeta
July 13th, 2013, 10:25 AM
UC Davis. Always a good program but kind of lost its way in the FCS transition. There was a definite need for new leadership and Coach Gould seems to be providing that. He was an FBS coach (from Cal) and has a reputation as an expert recruiter. We are now recruiting much more widely and enthusiasm has increased on both the team and among fans. They will be a dark horse this year but I think improvement will be rapid.

I agree! I see both Cal Poly and Davis getting stronger over the next few years, and the rivalry heating up. Hard to say what exactly the disconnect has been since moving to FCS. The talent has been there. I'll see you in Davis on Nov 2nd :)

DJKyR0
July 13th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Illinois State should start the season somewhere in the 15-25 range in the rankings, and I think they have the pieces they need to get much higher than that. Would not shock me if they surprise some people and sneak in to 2nd or 3rd place in the MVFC when all's said and done. If Shelby Harris was still on that defense I'd say they have the second best defensive unit in the Valley. Their offense is the wild card and they're bringing in some good projects at QB to address the loss of Matt Brown (who I'm on record as having a man-crush on). I think right now the consensus is that the preseason should start out NDSU-UNI-SDSU (with UNI and SDSU more or less interchangeable) but ISU-r will be right there all season.