PDA

View Full Version : Griz AD letter to Herbstreit

griz37
September 9th, 2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/09/09/grizmania/griz-gameday/gday06.txt

From the desk of the AD
It's about opportunity: An open letter to ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit
By JIM O'DAY for the Missoulian

Today's column was inspired by a comment made Monday night by ESPN GameDay commentator Kirk Herbstreit, who suggested that Division I-A schools should never schedule opponents from I-AA. I sent the following letter, but don't expect a response.

Dear Mr. Herbstreit,

As an athletic director at a Division I-AA school, I was extremely disappointed by your comment Monday night that there's no reason I-A schools should play against I-AA opponents.

Can we ever forget the word “opportunity?” This is a tremendous “opportunity” for many young student-athletes to play on the Big Stage of college football. Like our rivals at Montana State, which stunned I-A Colorado on Saturday, the majority of our roster at The University of Montana consists of in-state Montana athletes.

These young men are hard workers who can only dream of one day visiting great college venues in locations such as Iowa City (Iowa), Norman (Oklahoma) or Boulder (Colorado) to demonstrate their talents and skills.

It should also be noted that Portland State, another Division I-AA school, knocked off I-A New Mexico this past weekend, while I-AA Northern Arizona was in a 14-14 tie with No. 24 ranked Arizona State heading into the fourth quarter Thursday night. Likewise, we at The University of Montana climbed to within 17-7 of No. 16th ranked Iowa before the talented Hawkeyes dominated the fourth quarter.

Another reason for playing these games is the “opportunity” to help the athletic budgets at I-AA schools. We do not benefit from the big dollars paid by ABC and ESPN to televise our games and have to work extremely hard to balance our $11.5 million annual budget. A $650,000 payday from a school like Iowa made us financially healthy this year, as will the $450,000 Eastern Washington receives from West Virginia next weekend. Combined with the $450,000 we received from Oregon last year, we were able to pay off our athletics deficit. I'm sure many I-A schools would like to be so lucky.

Also, you've forgotten we are an NCAA Division I institution that has elected to compete at the Division I-AA level in football. The only differences being we offer 22 fewer scholarships than the Division I-A schools and our champion is decided by a playoff system. Remember it was only last spring that we advanced into the second round of the NCAA men's basketball tournament and had Boston College in a battle at halftime before their strength, speed and athleticism prevailed. This year, we will play notable schools such as West Virginia, Boise State, Wyoming and possibly Minnesota.

Mr. Herbstreit, somehow, you have forgotten the true meaning of intercollegiate athletics. Maybe a quick visit with a fellow commentator, Brent Musberger, who was raised in the small rural community of Big Timber, Montana, could bring you a better perspective. True, there were “no I-AA softies” in the Monday night television game between Florida State and Miami, but we will enjoy the memories of playing in front of 70,000 fans in Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa last Saturday much more. Maybe you should schedule an ESPN GameDay in Missoula, Montana, sometime to see the true meaning of I-AA football.

Sincerely,
Jim O'Day,
Director of Athletics,
The University of Montana

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Go Jim O'Day!

I hope ESPN Gameday were to stop in Missoula! They'd never know what hit them. It'd easily be one of the best atmospheres that Gameday had stepped into...

Wish more ADs would step up and issue similar statements...

elkmcc
September 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Herbie proves over and over again that he is an idiot. I refuse to watch the guy and when I see his mug I turn the channel as fast as possible. Some day ESPN will realize that the guy has more enemies than friends and will send him packing.

UMass922
September 9th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Those are all excellent reasons why a I-AA should schedule a I-A. But I see nothing in there that says why a I-A should schedule a I-AA, which is the issue Herbstreit seems to have been addressing. Two different things. (What were Herbstreit's exact remarks, though? I'd like to see more than a paraphrase.)

ncbears
September 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: Way to go Mr. O'day! I was so tired of hearing the Denver media diss CU instead of giving MSU credit for the win. I don't think I'll listen to sports talk radio anymore, I usually don't unless it's football season. Now I won't listen at all. Give credit where credit is due. I am glad the Montana A.D. did this.

dbackjon
September 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Great letter!!

mainejeff
September 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Will Herbie even take the time to read the letter?.........he may be too busy winking at the college co-eds.

Chi Panther
September 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
good stuff!!!!

bobcatfan06
September 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
College Gameday is a waste of time. Herbie is a buffoon, Corso is a complete idiot and that other guy just sucks. Hell ESPN sucks.

DaGriz
September 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
College Gameday is a waste of time. Herbie is a buffoon, Corso is a complete idiot and that other guy just sucks. Hell ESPN sucks.

The crazy thing is, I think Corso actually picked MSU to beat CU.

mainejeff
September 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I like Corso better than the other jokers.

Tiananmen Bear
September 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
That was a great letter, but I believe the dude missed the mark of Herbie's statement. It wasn't a knock on I-AAs, but more pointing out that it's a no-win situation for the schools that do so. No matter how big you win, it's not impressive. If you're Nebraska and you beat Sam Houston 73-7, nobody on a national scale is impressed by that. If you win 30-17 it raises a couple eyebrows, and that's a double-digit win. If you win by 1 (Kansas State), you get chided. If you lose, you're a laughingstock. So essentially no matter what you do, you cannot truly exceed expectations. It's high-risk, low-reward.

If you need a cupcake, at least get a I-A cupcake, because if you eek out a win or happen to lose it's still embarassing but not quite so bad because it's at least a team in the same classification.

And if you're one of the worst few I-As, you're probably still better off hoping for a close game against a high-caliber I-A rather than running the risk of losing or having a close win over a I-AA.

So I don't disagree at all with what Kirk said. If they were smart, I-As wouldn't schedule I-AAs. But for the most part it's seemingly a safe, easy rent-a-win where you can ring up some stats, work on a lot of things in a game atmosphere, etc. It's just the slim threat of getting tripped up that makes it a gamble.

Folks in Arkansas know all about that. A supposed "big-time" program in a power conference loses at home to The Citadel. The coach was fired before he got off the field. That's pretty much proof that scheduling a I-AA isn't worth it.

Obviously if I-As stopped scheduling I-AAs it would be a bad deal for the smaller guys, but Kirk was speaking from the I-A perspective, not the greater good or the I-AA side, which is what the majority of folks on this board see.

JohnStOnge
September 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
BCS league I-As like to schedule teams that will not require return trips. Non BCS I-As are alternatives as are I-AAs. I-AAs, on average, come cheaper.

If a BCS league I-A is going to schedule programs like North Texas, Louisiana Lafayette, Ball State, and Buffalo, there's really no reason why they shouldn't schedule teams like Montana. There really isn't.

slostang
September 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hey Kirk, UNH 34 Northwestern 17.

mainejeff
September 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Kirk, UNH 34 Northwestern 17.

They'll just pretend that it was Northwestern State :rolleyes: