PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network 2013 Preseason All-America Teams

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/IAA-pre-13-team.htm

NoDak 4 Ever
July 1st, 2013, 10:38 AM
I would like everyone to remember that Colton Heagle isn't an All American, and gameplan accordingly.

uofmman1122
July 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Interesting that McGhee is first team on here, and not even the best QB in the state. xcoolx

darell1976
July 1st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Congrats to Greg Hardin for making second team offense!!

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
I would like everyone to remember that Colton Heagle isn't an All American, and gameplan accordingly.

I can see why he isn't on there right now because of numbers. We all know this is just for good chatter right now. The list that matters comes out in December. If he has an All-America season he will surely be on one of the teams.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
I can see why he isn't on there right now because of numbers. We all know this is just for good chatter right now. The list that matters comes out in December. If he has an All-America season he will surely be on one of the teams.

Shhh, he's NOT an AA, just don't pay any attention to him.

Probably a lot of people in Yellow and Green you can say that about.

UNH Fanboi
July 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Why are App and GSU players eligible for this list?

PaladinFan
July 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Don't look now, but there are a bunch of Samford players on there.

Admittedly, I thought a couple of those guys graduated three years ago. Truss and Pope seem like they've been playing against Furman for-ev-er.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Why are App and GSU players eligible for this list?

They are technically FCS independent teams this year. They are not included in FBS yet. Next year they won't be on these lists.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 11:14 AM

Admittedly, I thought a couple of those guys graduated three years ago. Truss and Pope seem like they've been playing against Furman for-ev-er.

Nope. They are seniors! One more year. Dozier should have been first-team IMO. Don't know what you guys think about him but to me he's the 2nd best OL in FCS regardless of position.

IBleedYellow
July 1st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Shhh, he's NOT an AA, just don't pay any attention to him.

Probably a lot of people in Yellow and Green you can say that about.

If none of you catch this man's sarcasm I think you all need to be slapped.

But really, pay no attention to the golden eagle for us please. :D

Galaxy S4

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
So NDSU and Chatty are tied with the most defensive selections of any team. Cue Chattown. xlolx

CID1990
July 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing! It seemed like Taliaferro was there for something like 8 years.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 1st, 2013, 11:45 AM
So NDSU and Chatty are tied with the most defensive selections of any team. Cue Chattown. xlolx

Oh, I'm sure even having NDSU players in the same breath as The Best Defense Ever In FCS © is a grave injustice

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM
Oh, I'm sure even having NDSU players in the same breath as The Best Defense Ever In FCS © is a grave injustice

The problem with Chattanooga is that yes they have 4-5 players on defense worthy of a lot of accolades but their 8-11 in the starting lineup drop off a good bit from the top talent and then on offense they have 3-4 real good players but the rest of them aren't that good. App and GSU have better teams but Chattanooga's stars are right on par with their stars.

Professor Chaos
July 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
3 players from the Twin Cities metro area are 1st team All Americans for NDSU. Thank you Tim Brewster for not recruiting in state!!!

seantaylor
July 1st, 2013, 02:04 PM
No McKinnon? Crazy.

elcid83
July 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Congrats to Gardner-Webb's Hudson Smith for making the 2nd Team as a Long Snapper!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

ncbears
July 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Interesting that McGhee is first team on here, and not even the best QB in the state. xcoolx

From a non-Montana person, I think it's the right choice.

uofmman1122
July 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM
From a non-Montana person, I think it's the right choice.
It was mostly joking, and I know why they picked him, but I'll bet Jordan Johnson shows he's the better QB this year, especially when it matters most.

Ive just always felt McGhee is a little overrated. He blows up during the season against lower competition and then disappears against good teams. His game against us helped his stock last year, but I still would rather have #10 when it really comes down to it to get it done in the playoffs.

Pard4Life
July 1st, 2013, 07:22 PM
Travis Friend Bucknell FB Sr. 6-2 235

xeekx

blueballs
July 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
No McKinnon? Crazy.

Agreed... JM was the best offensive player in FCS at the end of the season last year.

PaladinFan
July 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM
No McKinnon? Crazy.

Polls like this are a casualty of GSU's offense. At 5'9 205, McKinnon isn't a quarterback on virtually any DI team in the country. He's a running back that happens to throw the ball from time to time. Is he one of the nation's top quarterbacks? No. Is he one of the best running backs? No. Best overall athletes? Probably.

Seawolf97
July 1st, 2013, 08:19 PM
Congratulations to our " Big Mike" making 1st team.

chattownmocs
July 1st, 2013, 08:25 PM
Chariots should have at least 4 maybe 5 defenders on this list. Runs Huesman's stonewall defense is back in a big way. This defense should be better than his 08 Richmond defense.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 08:30 PM
Agreed... JM was the best offensive player in FCS at the end of the season last year.

Yes he was but the reason he is not on the preseason lists right now is because of the fact he didn't do it all year long. Will he put up a monster year? I think so. However, I can see why he is being left off and you can't really hate on someone for not having a player from your team or any team on the list. If I had told you last year that Sean Price, AC Leonard, Zach Zenner, and Michael Bamiro would be first-teamers in the postseason or that Nicholas Edwards and Kejuan Riley would not be anywhere near All-America status you would have said I was crazy. The only thing that matters is the postseason list.

Someone bump this thread up in the postseason and see if those we think are snubs actually earned it in the postseason.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM
Congratulations to our " Big Mike" making 1st team.

He deserves it!

I alluded to it last year on this board you had a better pro prospect than Maysonet but did not quite say who it was. It's Bamiro. He may end up being a 4th-6th round pick. Massive kid with strength and great movement skills who dominated from his spot all year long. He, Dozier, and Billy Turner are the top 3 OL I saw last year returning.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2013, 08:38 PM
Polls like this are a casualty of GSU's offense. At 5'9 205, McKinnon isn't a quarterback on virtually any DI team in the country. He's a running back that happens to throw the ball from time to time. Is he one of the nation's top quarterbacks? No. Is he one of the best running backs? No. Best overall athletes? Probably.

Exactly. I think he will be the SoCon POY and a draft pick. He's not really a passer and you can't put him as a RB. He's the type of athlete who is so productive and good that NFL teams have shown interest in him. He, Dozier, and Tony Washington are the best NFL prospects in the Southern Conference by far.

Green26
July 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
McGhee is a very good player and playmaker, but if he's the first team all-american qb, FBS must be hurting for great qb's this year.

Jordan Tripp of Montana probably weighs 245 or so now (not 237). He's very fast. Can tackle, blitz, cover and blitz from down lineman spot.

Another linebacker to watch is Brock Coyle of Montana. Plays the middle. 6'2", 245 or more.

I think both of these guys could get drafted if they have big years. Tripp has NFL size and speed. Coyle compares favorably with Montana's middle linebacker from two years ago, who was drafted by the Cowboys.

SU DOG
July 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM

It may be now or never for Samford with this much talent. There are several other Samford players who will be on some kind of list at season's end, I promise you. Truss and Pope were never red-shirted, so this is the 4th year. IMO, the most dynamic player for us, however, has to be Jaquiski Tartt, who is a Jr. this year. Believe my this guy is for REAL. I doubt there is a better Safety in all of FCS. I'm glad he made the 1st team.

CrazyCat
July 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM
DM quotes on the selection

"It's an honor, without a doubt," said McGhee, already one of the most prolific passers in MSU and Big Sky Conference history. "But it's all because of the guys around me. It's a testament to the team."

And above all, the senior from Euless, Tex., knows that preseason awards are nice, but hold little meaning. "I haven't done anything yet this year," he says.

Vitojr130
July 2nd, 2013, 12:03 AM

NDSU has 4
Chatty has 3

seantaylor
July 2nd, 2013, 03:04 AM

I disagree with both. He is absolutely one of the best QBs and RBs in the nation. His productivity will prove that. This is akin to not placing Jayson Foster on an AA team.

frozennorth
July 2nd, 2013, 03:18 AM
JM should have been a second team RB at worst

knucklehead
July 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Congrats to Liberty's Richard Wright (LS) making first team and Kevin Fogg (KR) making 2nd team. Best part is I'm sure there will be more Flames on the post season AA team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
NDSU has 4
Chatty has 3

You have 3 defensive players, 1 OL, and one return man. That's 3 defensive players and 5 overall unless the TSN guys made a mistake.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
You have 3 defensive players, 1 OL, and one return man. That's 3 defensive players and 5 overall unless the TSN guys made a mistake.

He might be counting Ryan Smith PR. That's actually a curious selection for me because I think Marcus Williams is a better returner.

Apphole
July 2nd, 2013, 08:30 AM
He, Dozier, and Tony Washington are the best NFL prospects in the Southern Conference by far.

And Jamal Jackson.

Saint3333
July 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
I really don't see Jackson playing in the league, professionally yes, but NFL not likely.

Peacock has a better chance than Jackson and although by combine standards Peacock will not be rated as high as Washington he will be a better pro.

Price is actually the best NFL prospect in the conference, but I assume we are only discussing the 2014 draft prospects.

Apphole
July 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
I really don't see Jackson playing in the league, professionally yes, but NFL not likely.

Peacock has a better chance than Jackson and although by combine standards Peacock will not be rated as high as Washington he will be a better pro.

Price is actually the best NFL prospect in the conference, but I assume we are only discussing the 2014 draft prospects.

Didn't Jamal just get some sort of preliminary all-something postseason game invite? Whatever it was, a healthy percentage of participants get combine invites.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
McGhee is a very good player and playmaker, but if he's the first team all-american qb, FBS must be hurting for great qb's this year.

Jordan Tripp of Montana probably weighs 245 or so now (not 237). He's very fast. Can tackle, blitz, cover and blitz from down lineman spot.

Another linebacker to watch is Brock Coyle of Montana. Plays the middle. 6'2", 245 or more.

I think both of these guys could get drafted if they have big years. Tripp has NFL size and speed. Coyle compares favorably with Montana's middle linebacker from two years ago, who was drafted by the Cowboys.

For some reason there are media outlets who aren't rating him as high as he should be. He and Stephon Robertson are the two best linebackers in FCS for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
And Jamal Jackson.

Jackson is going to get looks but he is not a big time NFL prospect. As of right now he is considered a free agent. I would say he is the 6th or 7th best prospect in the Southern Conference. Peacock is rated higher than him as well. He's the 3rd best prospect at App State.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
It may be now or never for Samford with this much talent. There are several other Samford players who will be on some kind of list at season's end, I promise you. Truss and Pope were never red-shirted, so this is the 4th year. IMO, the most dynamic player for us, however, has to be Jaquiski Tartt, who is a Jr. this year. Believe my this guy is for REAL. I doubt there is a better Safety in all of FCS. I'm glad he made the 1st team.

I think he's the best safety. The safeties at JMU and Missouri State are worth mentioning in the same breath but I think he was the best returning safety I saw on film from 2012.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM

I hate talking about sophomores as NFL prospects. He's just now draft eligible and I have seen a lot of young players fade away. He needs to continue his dominance this year and then show out in the Sun Belt Conference or else what he has already done will be forgotten. With that said, I do have him tentatively rated as the #1 prospect from the SoCon for 2016, if he were still in the league (which we know he won't be).

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Didn't Jamal just get some sort of preliminary all-something postseason game invite? Whatever it was, a healthy percentage of participants get combine invites.

I haven't seen him on one. Whatever it was it had nothing to do with the NFL Scouting Combine. It wasn't an invite to any of the big games. The most prestigious games are the Senior Bowl, Shrine, and Raycom Games.

Jackson is a good player who shows adequate arm strength and mobility but lacks elite zip, gets flustered easy, and makes some bad decisions at times. He's more of a CFL type QB at this point but is on my list of NFL prospects to watch.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that based on the information I was given this spring that Tony Washington would get a combine invite for sure, Peacock would be on the bubble, and Jackson would be left out. I really like both Peacock and Jackson. If they can improve on their numbers I would personally like to see them at the combine. Both are very good route runners and have good hands. The only difference is that Washington has shown very good return ability.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I disagree with both. He is absolutely one of the best QBs and RBs in the nation. His productivity will prove that. This is akin to not placing Jayson Foster on an AA team.

Most had Foster on an AA team. What he is saying is that McKinnon doesn't have great passing stats. He isn't completing 60% or more of his passes, throwing for 2500 yards and 20 TDs. As a passer he was 40.8% with 597 yards, 7 TDs, and 3 INTs.

No question he is one of the best rushers in FCS. He had over 1800 yards with 20 TDs and 6.8ypc.

Apphole
July 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Jackson is going to get looks but he is not a big time NFL prospect. As of right now he is considered a free agent. I would say he is the 6th or 7th best prospect in the Southern Conference. Peacock is rated higher than him as well. He's the 3rd best prospect at App State.

Yeah no doubt Washington and Peacock are going to go higher this year, I was just saying that Jamal is on the radar. His passing numbers are going to be phenomenal this year with likely the best receiving corps in App State history.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah no doubt Washington and Peacock are going to go higher this year, I was just saying that Jamal is on the radar. His passing numbers are going to be phenomenal this year with likely the best receiving corps in App State history.

It is by far the best group of receivers App has ever had. As for that list would you post it? He was on the CFPA list that had over 30 FCS QBs. Other than that I have not seen him on a list of elite players.

Apphole
July 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
It is by far the best group of receivers App has ever had. As for that list would you post it? He was on the CFPA list that had over 30 FCS QBs. Other than that I have not seen him on a list of elite players.

I'm still looking. I swear I read it on twitter or the MMB or something.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Most had Foster on an AA team. What he is saying is that McKinnon doesn't have great passing stats. He isn't completing 60% or more of his passes, throwing for 2500 yards and 20 TDs. As a passer he was 40.8% with 597 yards, 7 TDs, and 3 INTs.

No question he is one of the best rushers in FCS. He had over 1800 yards with 20 TDs and 6.8ypc.

Correct. I'm not saying he is not a good football player. I am saying that he will never be listed on a list of all american quarterbacks, because he is a running back in virtually every other system in college football. Same was the case for Jayson Foster.

You could probably make an argument that those guys are true "quarterbacks" in the way the term was originally used back in the leather helmet days, when the entire backfield was a running threat and the forward pass was a novel invention.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
I'm still looking. I swear I read it on twitter or the MMB or something.

I think you confused it with the CFPA watch list. I know he was on that.

BEAR
July 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
I hate player stats. Especially height and weight reports. I'm a solid 6'2" tall and Smothers is taller than I am yet he's reported as 6'1"...if he's really an inch shorter than me than I've SHRUNK....which I guess is possible...but not likely. Guess coaches don't want to reveal player strengths until after they graduate and height is one of those for some.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
I hate player stats. Especially height and weight reports. I'm a solid 6'2" tall and Smothers is taller than I am yet he's reported as 6'1"...if he's really an inch shorter than me than I've SHRUNK....which I guess is possible...but not likely. Guess coaches don't want to reveal player strengths until after they graduate and height is one of those for some.

One thing I've learned is that most people believe they are taller than they are. People usually measure with shows on or assume they are a certain height because they are taller than someone who claims to be 6'3 so they say 6'4. In reality, that person is 6'1 and they are really 6'2.

I'm not saying there is no way Smothers is 6'2 or 6'3 but usually schools list a player an inch taller than they are. I have seen some cases where a player is 6'3 and the school says 6'5 while others where it's dead on the money. It's rare to find where a player is 6'4 1/4 and the school says he is 6'4 instead of 6'5.

The best gauge I have for you is that I have the official measurements of UCA players from this past year.

UCA looks like they are being conservative in their measurements. They listed Grandy at 5'11, 165, Dominique Croom at 6'1, 193, and Corey Howard at 6'1, 290. Grandy was lighter but ended up 5'11, 148, Howard was 6'2, 293, and Croom was 6'2, 189 when the NFL measured them. That is rare to find. Smothers may be more like 6'1 1/2 or so. I will say that in all of those measurements I rounded up as they were 5'10 7/8 or 6'1 5/8 but still close enough they should be listed at what I rounded to. I doubt Smothers is 6'2 1/2 or 6'3 but my guess is that he is rounded up to 6'2. Thus, you would probably be 6'1 1/2 or 6'1 3/4 or 6'1 1/4 if the NFL measured you, depending on how much taller Smothers is than you.

BEAR
July 2nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
One thing I've learned is that most people believe they are taller than they are. People usually measure with shows on or assume they are a certain height because they are taller than someone who claims to be 6'3 so they say 6'4. In reality, that person is 6'1 and they are really 6'2.

I'm not saying there is no way Smothers is 6'2 or 6'3 but usually schools list a player an inch taller than they are. I have seen some cases where a player is 6'3 and the school says 6'5 while others where it's dead on the money. It's rare to find where a player is 6'4 1/4 and the school says he is 6'4 instead of 6'5.

The best gauge I have for you is that I have the official measurements of UCA players from this past year.

UCA looks like they are being conservative in their measurements. They listed Grandy at 5'11, 165, Dominique Croom at 6'1, 193, and Corey Howard at 6'1, 290. Grandy was lighter but ended up 5'11, 148, Howard was 6'2, 293, and Croom was 6'2, 189 when the NFL measured them. That is rare to find. Smothers may be more like 6'1 1/2 or so. I will say that in all of those measurements I rounded up at they were 5'10 7/8 or 6'1 5/8 but still close enough they should be listed at what I rounded to but I doubt he is 6'2 1/2 or 6'3. My guess is that he is rounded up to 6'2 and you would probably be 6'1 1/2 or 6'1 3/4 or 6'1 1/4 if the NFL measured you, depending on how much taller Smothers is than you.

That's true. I say I am a solid 6'2" because I have two boys who like to measure themselves all the time with daddy (one's 11 and 5'5" tall and the other is 8 and 5'1" tall...we have 7 footers in my immediate family so I'm the shorty) and I have been measured at 74" every time. But I can see how a tape measure at an angle might be wrong. All I know is if you put me at 6'1" then with my latest encounter with Smothers face to face I was looking up at him a bit. He is taller than me without a doubt. Not much..but at least 6'2" or even 6'3"..can't tell..but he is taller. He isn't 6'1". They must be rounding down...or.....xlolx

blueballs
July 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Correct. I'm not saying he is not a good football player. I am saying that he will never be listed on a list of all american quarterbacks, because he is a running back in virtually every other system in college football. Same was the case for Jayson Foster.

You could probably make an argument that those guys are true "quarterbacks" in the way the term was originally used back in the leather helmet days, when the entire backfield was a running threat and the forward pass was a novel invention.

I concur with both this and SCFBF's statements.

McKinnon is an all american. At the end of last year he was the best and most valuable offensive player in the division, and he did it against some stout competition too. When you digest what he did as the starting QB and factor in that he competed against Wofford (conference champ, playoff team), Chatty, App (conference champ, playoff team), UGA (top 5 in FBS), UCA (conference champ, playoff team), ODU (conference champ, playoff team), and NDSU (national champ) to leave him off is criminal.

You create a position even if it is called "running QB."

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Another notable thing about McKinnon is his versatility. He has played well in every position he has been in. He did a good job of running, blocking, and receiving at the slot position. He filled in for Swope at fullback and did fine. And he made some big plays in the first ODU game at safety that could very well have made the difference in the game. The only position I think he wouldn't be at least decent at is on the lines.

If SCFBF is correct that McKinnon can get drafted, I'm curious as to what position they would want him to play.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 01:43 PM
I concur with both this and SCFBF's statements.

McKinnon is an all american. At the end of last year he was the best and most valuable offensive player in the division, and he did it against some stout competition too. When you digest what he did as the starting QB and factor in that he competed against Wofford (conference champ, playoff team), Chatty, App (conference champ, playoff team), UGA (top 5 in FBS), UCA (conference champ, playoff team), ODU (conference champ, playoff team), and NDSU (national champ) to leave him off is criminal.

You create a position even if it is called "running QB."

I just hate to create a position for one player. If you do that and put him first-team you have to do that with others. Although, if you permanently make a spot for a QB and running QB then I have no objections. There are 3-4 worthy of All-America mention that you could put in there.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Another notable thing about McKinnon is his versatility. He has played well in every position he has been in. He did a good job of running, blocking, and receiving at the slot position. He filled in for Swope at fullback and did fine. And he made some big plays in the first ODU game at safety that could very well have made the difference in the game. The only position I think he wouldn't be at least decent at is on the lines.

If SCFBF is correct that McKinnon can get drafted, I'm curious as to what position they would want him to play.

Do I ever lie about the NFL prospects of a player? :)

He's projected as a running back.

seantaylor
July 3rd, 2013, 03:00 AM

I'm saying that doesn't matter. He plays QB. He puts up crazy stats and wins games. Clearly one of the best players in the country. A Draconian system of how a QB should play should not matter.

seantaylor
July 3rd, 2013, 03:03 AM
I just hate to create a position for one player. If you do that and put him first-team you have to do that with others. Although, if you permanently make a spot for a QB and running QB then I have no objections. There are 3-4 worthy of All-America mention that you could put in there.

You don't have to create a position. He plays as a QB. And is a better player than the other guys on the QB list. Doesn't matter if it is not traditional. He's going to be a higher draft pick than JJ. Going to have a Mike Mamula-like combine.