View Full Version : CCSU finds 12th game?

hebmskebm
June 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Vs. DIII Salve Regina on Oct. 26. The CCSU fan board found the info buried in a general CCSU athletic events calendar on their website. It is not listed on their football site as of yet. http://www.ccsufans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2407&start=15

UPDATE: Game confirmed. http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/fball/2013-14/schedule

Engineer86
June 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Seriously, is a 12 game that important that playing a DIII school in October makes sense. I guess the gate is always a plus, but I do not think I would leave e tailgate for the game.

DFW HOYA
June 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM
How many schools are playing 11 games?

Seawolf97
June 30th, 2013, 02:04 PM
By default StonyBrook will play 11. Boston College bought us out of our opener on 8/31. We scrimmage Penn instead on that date.

hebmskebm
June 30th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'm always of two minds when these sorts of games happen. On the one hand, you want to avoid scheduling a DIII game at all costs. It's not going to help you get into the playoffs and it is not something any DI school should pursue unless there are no other options. On the other hand, for the young men on the field, it's one more chance to suit up and play, one more football Saturday in a game where most guys will never play again by the time they're 22. One more home event for the students and fans to attend and have some fun at. In the end, I always believe more football is better than less football.

Engineer86
June 30th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I'm always of two minds when these sorts of games happen. On the one hand, you want to avoid scheduling a DIII game at all costs. It's not going to help you get into the playoffs and it is not something any DI school should pursue unless there are no other options. On the other hand, for the young men on the field, it's one more chance to suit up and play, one more football Saturday in a game where most guys will never play again by the time they're 22. One more home event for the students and fans to attend and have some fun at. In the end, I always believe more football is better than less football.

I am kind of with you with giving more players a chance to play, like you say most will never play after college, if any, but such a mismatch is a bit much. Although I do not know much about the DIII team.

Engineer86
June 30th, 2013, 03:42 PM
By default StonyBrook will play 11. Boston College bought us out of our opener on 8/31. We scrimmage Penn instead on that date.

I am surprised that Penn would be ready to scrimmage so early. When do they start practice, I think their opener is a gainst Lehigh on the 21st.

Lehigh has an open date on Aug 31, I would love to see such a matchup added. We need to upgrade the schedule.

RichH2
June 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Andy said again, he does not want a 12th game.

bonarae
June 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM

I believe so too. Scheduling a D-III is not an option for most teams at the D-I level (FBS/FCS). D-II is still OK, but D-III? Too much of a mismatch.

bonarae
June 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM
By the way, Salve Regina is a member of the New England Football Conference of D-III. Last year, they finished 9-2 but did not participate in the Road to Salem for they lost to Framingham State in the NEFC conference championship game. However, 10/26 is still an open date according to their D3football.com portal page (http://www.d3football.com/teams/Salve_Regina/2013/index).

aceinthehole
June 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM
A few points to remember:

1) The game has NOT been confirmed.
2) CCSU has just 4 HOME games scheduled (3 NEC games + Holy Cross) and 7 ROAD games
3) CCSU has back-to-back BYE weeks (Oct. 19 and 26)
4) CCSU has reached out to all FCS teams available for those weeks (Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Stetson, Stony Brook) and none are willing to come to New Britain.
5) CCSU's non-conf schedule is brutal for the first 5 weeks - @ JMU, @ Lehigh, vs. Holy Cross, @ Albany, at URI (3 CAA teams + 2 Patriot)
6) CCSU is NOT going on the ROAD for the 8th time this season, period.

No one at Central is happy with the possibility of this game - it sucks! But the NEC schedule was thrown into shambles with the departures of UA, URI, and Monmouth. CCSU was able to keep UA and URI as non-conference games. No D-II teams are available in October. Basically, it is this or nothing and the coaching staff is worried about a 2-week layoff heading into the final 4 NEC games - which is our ticket to the playoffs. This isn't about $$ at the gate, or anything else, because most fans could care less about this game if it happens. They just want to avoid rust from an extended period off in the middle of the season, so they want to keep the guys fresh and have some positive momentum for the final 4 games.

Seawolf97
June 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I am surprised that Penn would be ready to scrimmage so early. When do they start practice, I think their opener is a gainst Lehigh on the 21st.

Lehigh has an open date on Aug 31, I would love to see such a matchup added. We need to upgrade the schedule.

We as fans would love to see a StonyBrook -Lehigh home and away series one of these days.

danefan
June 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM
A few points to remember:

1) The game has NOT been confirmed.
2) CCSU has just 4 HOME games scheduled (3 NEC games + Holy Cross) and 7 ROAD games
3) CCSU has back-to-back BYE weeks (Oct. 19 and 26)
4) CCSU has reached out to all FCS teams available for those weeks (Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Stetson, Stony Brook) and none are willing to come to New Britain.
5) CCSU's non-conf schedule is brutal for the first 5 weeks - @ JMU, @ Lehigh, vs. Holy Cross, @ Albany, at URI (3 CAA teams + 2 Patriot)
6) CCSU is NOT going on the ROAD for the 8th time this season, period.

No one at Central is happy with the possibility of this game - it sucks! But the NEC schedule was thrown into shambles with the departures of UA, URI, and Monmouth. CCSU was able to keep UA and URI as non-conference games. No D-II teams are available in October. Basically, it is this or nothing and the coaching staff is worried about a 2-week layoff heading into the final 4 NEC games - which is our ticket to the playoffs. This isn't about $$ at the gate, or anything else, because most fans could care less about this game if it happens. They just want to avoid rust from an extended period off in the middle of the season, so they want to keep the guys fresh and have some positive momentum for the final 4 games.

The NEC should be embarrassed. They caused this by denying associate membership for Monmouth. One of the teams that voted against Monmouth should give up a home game to CCSU as payment.

Embarrasing.

So glad we're out of this league. I feel for you CCSU fans.

coover
July 1st, 2013, 02:07 AM
Ok, CCSU is .... well, actually, I don't know who they are. Is this Colorado Central State University? Maybe Coastal Connecticut? I live in California, and the only CCs we have here are Junior Colleges, but since none of them are DI, I know it isn't a California School.

Actually, using initials is pretty much bad form. Yes, everybody knows that UCLA stands for the University of California at Los Angeles. But what about USC? Are we talking about the condoms of Southern California or the University of South Carolina? FSU is obviously Florida State, but the puppies at Fresno State would dispute that. And if San Diego State University isn't SDSU, who is? South Dakota State, you say? UND? Notre Dame of course. Isn't that so, Darrel? And on and on and on.

I don't want to spend too much time on this and I'm sure you could give your own examples ... but I still don't know who CCSU is.

kdinva
July 1st, 2013, 05:19 AM
... but I still don't know who CCSU is.

Try "google" ;)

aceinthehole
July 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM
The NEC should be embarrassed. They caused this by denying associate membership for Monmouth. One of the teams that voted against Monmouth should give up a home game to CCSU as payment.

Embarrasing.

So glad we're out of this league. I feel for you CCSU fans.

I kinda agree with you, but there is nothing that CCSU can do. The funny thing is CCSU was able to keep the 2 CAA schools (Albany and URI) as non-conference games, but Monmouth scheduled everyone in the NEC except CCSU as a non-conference game. The real problem is everyone is looking out for themselves and the league is left holding the bag. I don't blame the NEC leadership itself, as much as I think we just don't fit with the small schools left in the league.

Anyway, Central is stuck in the NEC unless an associate membership in CAA Football opens up. We're stuck in the NEC because we've got nowhere to go and if we have this much of a problem scheduling with a 6-game NEC slate, there is no way we could ever put together a schedule as an Independent. We aren't joining the Big South to obtain the same 6-game league schedule as the NEC, but at a higher cost and unnecessary travel to play the same type of small, private schools that exist in the NEC. The Big South is the crappy NEC with 63 schollys - it does nothing for a league schedule.

danefan
July 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM
I kinda agree with you, but there is nothing that CCSU can do. The funny thing is CCSU was able to keep the 2 CAA schools (Albany and URI) as non-conference games, but Monmouth scheduled everyone in the NEC except CCSU as a non-conference game. The real problem is everyone is looking out for themselves and the league is left holding the bag. I don't blame the NEC leadership itself, as much as I think we just don't fit with the small schools left in the league.

Anyway, Central is stuck in the NEC unless an associate membership in CAA Football opens up. We're stuck in the NEC because we've got nowhere to go and if we have this much of a problem scheduling with a 6-game NEC slate, there is no way we could ever put together a schedule as an Independent. We aren't joining the Big South to obtain the same 6-game league schedule as the NEC, but at a higher cost and unnecessary travel to play the same type of small, private schools that exist in the NEC. The Big South is the crappy NEC with 63 schollys - it does nothing for a league schedule.

Ultimately its on the Administration to bring all the schools together to reach their common goals. That's what the NEC Admin has some of the blame. But yes, each school is out on its own right now and CCSU doesn't match any of the others in terms of goals.

M Ruler
July 1st, 2013, 08:35 AM
This problem could of been avoided. The "leadership" of the NEC knew UA and URI were departing (If they didn't then they were living in a cave) and they chose to punish Monmouth by denying them associate status. Just plain arrogance.

The NEC will be in danger of losing this AQ with one more defection.

If they had just gone to 57 Scholarships when UA approached them a few years ago they would not only still have UA and Monmouth but they would also have Rhode Island, Stony Brook and I dare say Maine as well as another northeastern based FCS program. The NEC could have been a great conference. You talk about piss poor management.

I know Sacred Heart, SFU and Robert Morris (probably Wagner as well but with their recent success would probably have gone along with it) didn't want the additional scholarships but they could have either increased their scholarship levels or moved with Marist to the Pioneer League.

So I fully blame the jack asses that are running the NEC.

danefan
July 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM
This problem could of been avoided. The "leadership" of the NEC knew UA and URI were departing (If they didn't then they were living in a cave) and they chose to punish Monmouth by denying them associate status. Just plain arrogance.

The NEC will be in danger of losing this AQ with one more defection.

If they had just gone to 57 Scholarships when UA approached them a few years ago they would not only still have UA and Monmouth but they would also have Rhode Island, Stony Brook and I dare say Maine as well as another northeastern based FCS program. The NEC could have been a great conference. You talk about piss poor management.

I know Sacred Heart, SFU and Robert Morris (probably Wagner as well but with their recent success would probably have gone along with it) didn't want the additional scholarships but they could have either increased their scholarship levels or moved with Marist to the Pioneer League.

So I fully blame the jack asses that are running the NEC.

The 40 scholarship limit is unsustainable. There just aren't enough teams interested in doing it for the long term to make it work. We've known that since it was first introduced.

aceinthehole
July 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
Again, I don't disagree with the UA fans on this. It was always a compromise, and eventually something was going to happen. It is just frustrating as fan because we are the odd man out right now regarding the NEC profile and AE/CAA Football opportunities. I'm certainly rooting for some addition realignment so that CCSU can find a home that fits us better than what we have now.

FYI - right now, CCSU also needs just 1 more non-conference game for the 2014 season:

at Towson
vs. Albany
at Holy Cross
at Dartmouth
vs. Rhode Island
TBD
+ 6 NEC games

SamIam
July 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM
Was hearing SHSU wanted to play Stony Brook (and was willing to come up there this year), but couldn't reach a deal. SHSU ended up having to schedule HBU. It'll be that program's first game. Brutal.

bonarae
July 2nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
Gosh, 'tis already true. xeekx

Your fears and my fears have been confirmed. xsmhx

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/news/newstest.aspx?id=4606058

Other fans on this board (especially PFL fans and fans of schools who regularly play NAIA schools), is a D-III on the schedule comparable to a NAIA on the schedule?

UAalum72
July 2nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
On average, D-III schools are a little weaker than NAIA. But I don't think there are any NAIA football schools to the northeast of Maryland and Ohio so they're not practical for CCSU.

aceinthehole
July 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
On average, D-III schools are a little weaker than NAIA. But I don't think there are any NAIA football schools to the northeast of Maryland and Ohio so they're not practical for CCSU.

Ugh ... this sucks, but as I indicated before we were really in a bind because of the back-to-back BYE weeks.

I would have rather played Western Conn. St. or Coast Guard Academy if we had to play a D-III school, but this was the only team available in our region. :(

hebmskebm
July 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Question: When else in recent (last decade or so) history has a scholarship FCS team played a DIII school? Portland State played Willamette in 2011. Can't think of any others.

DFW HOYA
July 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Question: When else in recent (last decade or so) history has a scholarship FCS team played a DIII school? Portland State played Willamette in 2011. Can't think of any others.

In 2005, Prairie View played Paul Quinn College, which wandered between D-III and NAIA at the time. The school eventually dropped sports and now uses its football field as a farm to grow vegetables for the school.

dgtw
July 3rd, 2013, 06:22 AM

Here's a map for NAIA football. The closest teams are in Kentucky and SW Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_National_Association_of_Intercollegiat e_Athletics_schools_playing_college_football.png

blackbeard
July 8th, 2013, 05:34 PM
SHU adds a 12th game - to have 6 home and 6 away. At least its a D2 instead of a D3 or NAIA.

http://www.sacredheartpioneers.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/20130708c5vowg

Twentysix
July 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Gosh, 'tis already true. xeekx

Your fears and my fears have been confirmed. xsmhx

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot/news/newstest.aspx?id=4606058

Other fans on this board (especially PFL fans and fans of schools who regularly play NAIA schools), is a D-III on the schedule comparable to a NAIA on the schedule?

The Wisconsin DIII teams (particularily the Warhawks) could probably give an average CCSU team a rough and tumble game that could go either way, but NAIA teams typically have lower academic standards and offer some kind of sports scholarship. When spitballing hypothetical teams NAIA are probably stronger. WW is some kind of freak though and could probably compete at the FCS level with a scholarship infusion.

Brad82
July 9th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I heard CCSU is trying to get Yale on the slate in the future.
The Salve game will be interesting as they are really good D-3 team.
CCSU has been playing tough schedule,so this is no big deal. (At least you are playing).

aceinthehole
July 9th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I heard CCSU is trying to get Yale on the slate in the future.
The Salve game will be interesting as they are really good D-3 team.
CCSU has been playing tough schedule,so this is no big deal. (At least you are playing).

Yeah, we've reached out to everyone for a game for years. Nearly impossible to get most teams FCS to New Britain. Just recently got PL teams like Lehigh and HC to agree to a home/home deals. Getting ROAD games is easy for us - Western Mich, JMU, W&M, UNH, UMass, Towson, NDSU, Columbia, Dartmouth, etc.

I would like to see Yale on CCSU's schedule once every 4 years. We'll never be the in-state rival like UConn was, but I would like to see Central players get a chance to play in the historic Yale Bowl once in their careers.