PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Rating System to Determine Playoff Worthiness

Lehigh Football Nation
June 26th, 2013, 03:11 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-simple-rating-system-to-judge-playoff.html

The full version of the new system the FCS Championships committee will use as a tool to evaluate playoff worthiness is not completely public. But it seems like it will be based in large part on the Simple Rating System.

danefan
June 26th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I'm not sure why you think this would help Lehigh. I have a feeling it will only hurt teams from outside the CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, SoCon and Southland.

For the better teams in the other onferences, the rest of the league will bring down the conference strength of schedule.

CFBfan
June 26th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I'm not sure why you think this would help Lehigh. I have a feeling it will only hurt teams from outside the CAA, Big Sky, MVFC, SoCon and Southland.

For the better teams in the other onferences, the rest of the league will bring down the conference strength of schedule.

because LU fans have brown colored glasses thru which they view the world

bluehenbillk
June 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I question how much committees ever use ratings systems. Let's face it - March Madness has more "publicly accepted" ratings systems I can think of than any other sport that goes to a committee with the RPI's & the like & every year there are examples of teams with worse RPI's getting in & seeds not being determined at all by it. Why would FCS football be any different?

Lehigh'98
June 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Probably will continue to be determined by back room handshakes.

walliver
June 26th, 2013, 08:49 AM
There has always been a lot of politics (personal and conference related) in the selection process. Conferences whose teams advance deep into the playoffs receive preferential treatment. Teams who frequently go to the playoffs are generally picked over those who don't. There is also usually a reactionary pick responding to some controversy the previous year - for example, a team in Lehigh's 2012 position would get a spot in 2013, even without expansion to 24 teams and 3 Top 10 teams excluded.

Every year, in October and November AGS has multiple threads of fans using the NCAA's printed criteria to create a bracket. More experienced FCS watchers come up with brackets which seem to go against the published criteria, and generally come closer to picking the eventual bracket.

WileECoyote06
June 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-simple-rating-system-to-judge-playoff.html

The full version of the new system the FCS Championships committee will use as a tool to evaluate playoff worthiness is not completely public. But it seems like it will be based in large part on the Simple Rating System.

For accuracy:

Lincoln of Pennsylvania is a Division II school who play in the CIAA. They finished 1-9.

darell1976
June 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
So is there going to be a page where it shows how each team is doing? Who is close to getting in and who doesn't have a shot.

UNH Fanboi
June 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Probably will continue to be determined by back room handshakes.

Or the location of ESPN television trucks.

RichH2
June 26th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced mumbo jumbo. Process is still going to be totally subjective and political . The new improved system is merely window dressing to rationalize committee's picks after the fact. Doubt I could be anymore cynical.