PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Coach Interviewed On ESPN Radio

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Georgetown head coach Kevin Kelly was an in-studio guest at the ESPN affiliate in Washington Monday, but the hosts didn't seem to know much about the Hoyas or Patriot League football.

Among the questions: how Big East realignment affects Georgetown in football (Kelly's response: "Not a lot") and whether he can use basketball's success to recruit in football.

No question was raised about scholarships, although the hosts asked Kelly if there was a "Princeton offense" in football.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=1561081

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2013, 11:45 PM
It sounds like a colossal waste of airtime. Really, that was the best they could do?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 26th, 2013, 12:25 AM
There isn't a whole lot to talk about right now and it's fine to just have a little promo piece for his team and to talk about his program. I didn't see anything wrong with it and enjoyed it.

CFBfan
June 26th, 2013, 06:31 AM
It sounds like a colossal waste of airtime. Really, that was the best they could do?

It was 5 mins of airtime for GU. An easy interview for Kelly. Some exposure that they sure could use. NOT a waste of time....unless you're a LU fan maybe

carney2
June 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
NOT a waste of time....unless you're a LU fan maybe

We all know that Kelly should have devoted the entire 5 minutes to discussing how marvelous ChickenSquawk football is.

Bogus Megapardus
June 26th, 2013, 10:08 AM
We all know that Kelly should have devoted the entire 5 minutes to discussing how marvelous ChickenSquawk football is.

Still, I'd guess that the crew at the ESPN Lehigh Valley affiliate knows more about Georgetown football than the does the ESPN guy in DC - and obviously a lot more about the PL. Which is a shame because that's pretty much supposed to be part of the guy's job, isn't it?

813Jag
June 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Still, I'd guess that the crew at the ESPN Lehigh Valley affiliate knows more about Georgetown football than the does the ESPN guy in DC - and obviously a lot more about the PL. Which is a shame because that's pretty much supposed to be part of the guy's job, isn't it?
that's how it is sometimes, some hosts don't even know or care that a school is even in their city.

Model Citizen
June 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Re: Georgetown stadium campaign- Website linked in DFW's signature states, "We are working to complete the second and final phase of the work outside the context of this campaign."

Really? Does this ongoing "work" involve fundraising, construction, or both? Has the university estimated a completion date?

DFW HOYA
June 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Really? Does this ongoing "work" involve fundraising, construction, or both?
No.

Has the university estimated a completion date?
See above.

Model Citizen
June 26th, 2013, 01:54 PM
So you stagger back home and wait for nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTeBpyEE4I

carney2
June 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM

Your avatar reminds me of that "NO TV" fiasco two years ago. We've gone full cycle and they get another shot at it on November 2nd. Any word as to whether they will pull their heads out of their collective Hoya butts this time? Last time, as I recall, they waited until the TV crews showed up at the stadium to flex their legal muscle.

Maybe a better question is whether RCN will even bother to put it on their schedule.

Saint3333
June 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM

I hear Kelly isn't a fan of your blog either.

Chill out.

RichH2
June 26th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Nice fluff piece. Wouldn't expect anything else at this time. Kelly came off well. Good PR for Hoyas

DFW HOYA
June 26th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Your avatar reminds me of that "NO TV" fiasco two years ago. We've gone full cycle and they get another shot at it on November 2nd. Any word as to whether they will pull their heads out of their collective Hoya butts this time? Last time, as I recall, they waited until the TV crews showed up at the stadium to flex their legal muscle.

Not this again...Verizon dropped its agreement with Georgetown after the 2010 season, so "they" aren't around anymore to pull rank on a competitor product such as RCN.

For those without access to the LSN, GUHoyas.com will likely provide a video feed atop the box (and it's a box) at MSF, but that's without any sideline reporters, gametime graphics, time and distance, or instant replay, features otherwise enjoyed by the RCN broadcasts.

Bogus Megapardus
June 26th, 2013, 10:41 PM

Maybe a better question is whether RCN will even bother to put it on their schedule.

I have to doubt that the full LSN crew will travel to D.C. - Fool me once, shame on you . . . .

carney2
June 27th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Not this again.

"Again?" Try forever. Anything that stupid can be neither forgotten nor forgiven. We all expect Bogie to romp and stomp on your little Hoya butts throughout the last week in October.

Shouldn't matter (for me) this year as I have made preliminary plans to make my first visit to the infamous MSF on November 2nd.

van
June 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Not this again...Verizon dropped its agreement with Georgetown after the 2010 season, so "they" aren't around anymore to pull rank on a competitor product such as RCN.

For those without access to the LSN, GUHoyas.com will likely provide a video feed atop the box (and it's a box) at MSF, but that's without any sideline reporters, gametime graphics, time and distance, or instant replay, features otherwise enjoyed by the RCN broadcasts.

don't waste a dime on the Hoya broadcast, makes a high school broadcast look like a SunDance award winner.

Bogus Megapardus
June 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
"Again?" Try forever. Anything that stupid can be neither forgotten nor forgiven. We all expect Bogie to romp and stomp on your little Hoya butts throughout the last week in October.

Shouldn't matter (for me) this year as I have made preliminary plans to make my first visit to the infamous MSF on November 2nd.

Since you'll be there, carney2 perhaps you could, from time to time, update the Lafayette Board with a few of the more arcane details of the game such as quarter, time remaining, significant down and distance and - I don't know - the actual score perhaps. Little things like that those that we won't get from the Hoya feed since LSN obviously won't be permitted through the Georgetown security perimeter.

Seriously, what's the use in allowing Lafayette to do its normal, professionally produced live television broadcast to 33 million-plus potential viewers when you can have a Sandra Fluke wanna-be freshman standing there with her iPhone camera pointing somewhere near the field of play?

CFBfan
June 27th, 2013, 02:40 PM

some great restaurants if you have the time and let me know if you need a recomendation or two

Bogus Megapardus
June 27th, 2013, 03:43 PM
some great restaurants if you have the time and let me know if you need a recommendation or two

When I was last in DC a few months ago I was treated to Sunday brunch at "Lauriol" on 18th at T Street. Really busy place but incredibly good, authentic Cuban/Mexican food. Also dinner the night before at Occidental but that is what it always is - expensive and touristy. Lauriol was very reasonably priced and inhabited by locals not tourists. Lots of fun.

Pubs around Georgetown are jammed with congressional interns and staffers - one of whom was the reason for my visit. They'll look down their collective noses at you if you say you're from Lafayette. But shockingly, I learned that several of them actually have heard of American University. Mention of "Patriot League," of course, draws blank stares. Navy? Colgate? Lehigh? Nothing . . . .

CFBfan
June 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM
When I was last in DC a few months ago I was treated to Sunday brunch at "Lauriol" on 18th at T Street. Really busy place but incredibly good, authentic Cuban/Mexican food. Also dinner the night before at Occidental but that is what it always is - expensive and touristy. Lauriol was very reasonably priced and inhabited by locals not tourists. Lots of fun.

Pubs around Georgetown are jammed with congressional interns and staffers - one of whom was the reason for my visit. They'll look down their collective noses at you if you say you're from Lafayette. But shockingly, I learned that several of them actually have heard of American University. Mention of "Patriot League," of course, draws blank stares. Navy? Colgate? Lehigh? Nothing . . . .

Were you on the G-Town TV network for that???

Bogus Megapardus
June 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Were you on the G-Town TV network for that???

Yes. I mentioned that I was a Lafayette grad. A dozen or so denizens chuckled disparagingly and quickly began to search for someone more interesting. I understand that the G-Town TV network will post the video in its comedy section.

carney2
June 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
some great restaurants if you have the time and let me know if you need a recomendation or two

Thanks. I have a local connection, but can always use a few more recommendations. Actually, I am perpetually in search of the world's greatest cheeseburger and will probably head out to Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington to see if they're as good as I remember. Ambiance = 0, but the burger is pushing into the 9 range.

carney2
June 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Since you'll be there, carney2 perhaps you could, from time to time, update the Lafayette Board with a few of the more arcane details of the game such as quarter, time remaining, significant down and distance and - I don't know - the actual score perhaps. Little things like that those that we won't get from the Hoya feed since LSN obviously won't be permitted through the Georgetown security perimeter.

I'm pretty certain that cell phones and other electronics will be confiscated. You can't have the good folks in Angola knowing the outcome and score before the Hoya Football Network's 2017 scheduled first telecast.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 28th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Back on topic, do you think the Hoya Network will have figured out by then the Big East doesn't sponsor football anymore?

RichH2
June 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
No,no Burgers always more important then Hoya TV.

CFBfan
June 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Back on topic, do you think the Hoya Network will have figured out by then the Big East doesn't sponsor football anymore?

that's YOUR topic, not everyone elses