PDA

View Full Version : Ground broken on Yale bowl 100 years ago

bulldog10jw
June 24th, 2013, 05:41 PM
http://nhregister.com/articles/2013/06/22/sports/doc51c614f9a59a7533026276.txt?viewmode=fullstory

The historic Yale Bowl has seen football titans wrestle for glory and has brought many forms of entertainment to New Haven. It is a magnet of civic pride that has meant a lot to many.

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the day Yale University president Arthur Twining Hadley broke ground for the Bowl. The ceremony took place at 5 p.m. on Monday, June 23, 1913

Laker
June 24th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Great article. People should know about the history of football and how it grew. Thanks for sharing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 24th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to walk through the portals of the Yale Bowl. It's definitely an experience a true college football fan would cherish.

Ivytalk
June 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM
And I hope the Bowl is around for 100 more!

Go Green
June 25th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Also looks like the author of the article is writing a book on the Yale Bowl. Looking forward to it!! Hope the 1991 Dartmouth game gets a mention. :D

Go Green
June 25th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hope the 1991 Dartmouth game gets a mention. :D

I had to go try to find the write-up of the game. One of the best games I've ever been part of.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/20/sports/college-football-sophomore-is-no-jinx-for-dartmouth.html

Surprised that the crowd was only 18K. Seemed a lot bigger at the time, and it was a gorgeous afternoon in New Haven.

The downside is that reading that article reminded me of the spanking Holy Cross (who ended up #2 in the country) gave us the week before. Oh well...

bulldog10jw
June 25th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I had to go try to find the write-up of the game. One of the best games I've ever been part of.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/20/sports/college-football-sophomore-is-no-jinx-for-dartmouth.html

Surprised that the crowd was only 18K. Seemed a lot bigger at the time, and it was a gorgeous afternoon in New Haven.

The downside is that reading that article reminded me of the spanking Holy Cross (who ended up #2 in the country) gave us the week before. Oh well...

I had just moved to AZ the year before. The only way to follow the game, with no internet, was to call the press box. I was sorry I made that last call.

Bogus Megapardus
June 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
When I go the the Bowl, I take Derby Avenue from the Wilbur Cross. The mere sight of that iconic structure as you approach from that direction remains as intriguing as ever. It's nothing like many of the towering modern venues (I'm thinking Rutgers in particular). It's low-key, authentic, massive and above all - permanent. I think the Yale Bowl will be there for another hundred years.

jimbo65
June 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I had the pleasure of attending several games at the Bowl, including what I think was the one hundreth anniversay of Yale v Harvard. Great tailgate starting at 9 prior to the game and a visit to Maury's (spelling) after the game. Truly a historical place.

bulldog10jw
June 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I had the pleasure of attending several games at the Bowl, including what I think was the one hundreth anniversay of Yale v Harvard. Great tailgate starting at 9 prior to the game and a visit to Maury's (spelling) after the game. Truly a historical place.

Mory's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mory%27s

Hammerhead
June 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM
What's up with the picture in the article? The shading makes it look inverted as if the field is sticking up out of the stadium.

Edit -- If you look at the picture upside down, it looks normal.

http://nhregister.com/content/articles/2013/06/22/sports/doc51c614f9a59a7533026276.jpg

32counter
June 26th, 2013, 11:08 PM
The Bowl underwent a $21 m makeover in 2 phases beginning in 2005.Having grown up 1/4 mile up the Hill from this historic place it has been an unforgettable venue for terrific college,pro(Giants full season 72/73)- Giants vs Lions/Jets exhibitions and high school Thanksgiving football games between Hillhouse(Floyd Little) and West Haven as well as Summer Pops Concerts musical concerts with The Beach Boys,Chicago,Simon and Garfunkel,Mammas and Papas,Johnny Mathis among many others.The memories of Levi Jackson and Albie Booth linger.Great games in the undefeated 1960 season(Mike Pyle,Ben Balme,Tom Singleton) as well as mid to late 60's with Calvin Hill,Brian Dowling(BD in Doonesbury).Chuck Mercein running duels with single wing running back Cosmo Iacavassi of Princeton(the toughest RB of the Ivy).Ed Marinaro of Cornell always had great Saturdays in the Bowl and finished 2nd in Heisman voting behind Pat Sullivan of Auburn in 1971.Yale coaches like Tad Jones,Jordan Olivar,John Pont and Carm Cozza will remain marching the sidelines as will Bob Blackman of Dartmouth(104-37-3),Dick Colman of Princeton(73-31) and Buff Donnelli of Columbia as will Yovicsin/Restic/Murphy of Harvard.The Naval Academy midshipmen marching into the Bowl and losing to Bulldogs in 1981 led by Hamden native RB Rich Diana will be long remembered by the sellout crowd.

bulldog10jw
June 27th, 2013, 08:09 AM
The Bowl underwent a $21 m makeover in 2 phases beginning in 2005.Having grown up 1/4 mile up the Hill from this historic place it has been an unforgettable venue for terrific college,pro(Giants full season 72/73)- Giants vs Lions/Jets exhibitions and high school Thanksgiving football games between Hillhouse(Floyd Little) and West Haven as well as Summer Pops Concerts musical concerts with The Beach Boys,Chicago,Simon and Garfunkel,Mammas and Papas,Johnny Mathis among many others.The memories of Levi Jackson and Albie Booth linger.Great games in the undefeated 1960 season(Mike Pyle,Ben Balme,Tom Singleton) as well as mid to late 60's with Calvin Hill,Brian Dowling(BD in Doonesbury).Chuck Mercein running duels with single wing running back Cosmo Iacavassi of Princeton(the toughest RB of the Ivy).Ed Marinaro of Cornell always had great Saturdays in the Bowl and finished 2nd in Heisman voting behind Pat Sullivan of Auburn in 1971.Yale coaches like Tad Jones,Jordan Olivar,John Pont and Carm Cozza will remain marching the sidelines as will Bob Blackman of Dartmouth(104-37-3),Dick Colman of Princeton(73-31) and Buff Donnelli of Columbia as will Yovicsin/Restic/Murphy of Harvard.The Naval Academy midshipmen marching into the Bowl and losing to Bulldogs in 1981 led by Hamden native RB Rich Diana will be long remembered by the sellout crowd.

Ed Marinaro had ONE great Saturday in the Bowl and it was as a senior. As a Sophomore and a Junior Yale held him under 70 years each time. Besides that, thanks for the memories.

Go Green
June 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Edit -- If you look at the picture upside down, it looks normal.

I don't think that it's an accident that the picture looks "normal" when viewed upside down.

:D