PDA

View Full Version : SOCON announces 2013 ESPN3 broadcast schedule

chattownmocs
June 24th, 2013, 03:31 PM
http://nooga.com/162194/espn3-to-broadcast-three-utc-football-games-in-2013/

Nice schedule. Brilliant move to let Chattanooga close the deal and wrap up the championship on ESPN3 one of the last few weeks. Very calculated and intelligent move for once.

2013 SoCon football telecast schedule:

Date Teams
Sept. 7 Wofford at The Citadel

Oct. 5 Elon at Furman

Oct. 12 Furman at Chattanooga

Oct. 19 Wofford at Western Carolina

Oct. 26 Georgia Southern at Appalachian State

Nov. 2 Samford at The Citadel

Nov. 9 Wofford at Chattanooga

Nov. 16 Chattanooga at Samford

Smitty
June 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
That third spot is going to be a heated battle!

Saint3333
June 24th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Smart move only giving outgoing members one game, I would have done the same.

Those probably are the best games on those weeks for games that don't include App or GSU.

Apphole
June 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I disagree, Saint. Just seems petty to me. If viewership is what they're after (it might not be since this isn't real tv), it seems like you would squeeze every last drop of acclaim from App and Southern while you have the chance.

eaglewraith
June 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2046341111_9950ab1e67.jpg?v=0

Oh yes Paul Maguire

EKU-n-GSU
June 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Smart move only giving outgoing members one game, I would have done the same.

Those probably are the best games on those weeks for games that don't include App or GSU.

Meh...I think ESPN3 should be the "..all App/all GSU/all the time..." for this season. No one else matters...xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I disagree, Saint. Just seems petty to me. If viewership is what they're after (it might not be since this isn't real tv), it seems like you would squeeze every last drop of acclaim from App and Southern while you have the chance.

Nobody cares about App State or Georgia Southern. Nobody cares if they are playing in the SoCon. Nobody cares if they are playing in the SunBelt. The same is true for 98% of the college football programs in this country - nobody cares.

The only viewers for any of these games will be (1) I went to that school, (2) I am a SoCon fan, (3) I am a big time FCS fan and want to see teams from other conferences, or (4) It is football on TV and I just watch because it is on. Number 4 is the sole reason the SunBelt plays on Tuesday nights.

It is nice to have some televised games, though.

CID1990
June 24th, 2013, 05:14 PM
http://nooga.com/162194/espn3-to-broadcast-three-utc-football-games-in-2013/

Nice schedule. Brilliant move to let Chattanooga close the deal and wrap up the championship on ESPN3 one of the last few weeks. Very calculated and intelligent move for once.

2013 SoCon football telecast schedule:

Date Teams
Sept. 7 Wofford at The Citadel

Oct. 5 Elon at Furman

Oct. 12 Furman at Chattanooga

Oct. 19 Wofford at Western Carolina

Oct. 26 Georgia Southern at Appalachian State

Nov. 2 Samford at The Citadel

Nov. 9 Wofford at Chattanooga

Nov. 16 Chattanooga at Samford

Chatty will have already crapped the bed by the time that last game rolls around.

It will have tiebreaker implications between Sammy, Wofford and El Cid.

Saint3333
June 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM

If they were concerned about exposure they would still have the SportsSouth contract.

Petty nah, just try and please the 66% of programs that are still around.

whoanellie
June 24th, 2013, 08:23 PM
a big reason Elon left the SoCon, The CAA has a superior TV package.

CID1990
June 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM

lol

Sent from the center of the universe.

catamount man
June 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Man how I miss the days of the old SPORTSOUTH showing SoCon double headers. October 22, 1994 SS showed in game one WCU vs UTC. Cats dominated and won 53-15. The nightcap was App State, in a pouring rain in Boone, knocking off #1 Marshall 24-14. They always showed GSU vs Marshall, WCU vs ETSU, Furman vs App, at least the Boone games.

This commish has done NOTHING to get this conference exposure.

chattownmocs
June 24th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Man how I miss the days of the old SPORTSOUTH showing SoCon double headers. October 22, 1994 SS showed in game one WCU vs UTC. Cats dominated and won 53-15. The nightcap was App State, in a pouring rain in Boone, knocking off #1 Marshall 24-14. They always showed GSU vs Marshall, WCU vs ETSU, Furman vs App, at least the Boone games.

This is probably better than SS and definitely better than a regional broadcast of NBCSN

CID1990
June 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM

So which recent WCU SoCon loss would you like the world to be exposed to?

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM

I'm no real supporter of Immarino, but I don't necessarily get the push for an amorphous definition of "conference exposure." The reality is that few people care about low level division 1 football. They care about the big boys. At some point, isn't the cost outweighed by the benefit?

Besides, as much as I like watching Furman on television, there is a point at which it probably harms the school. If I am watching the game on TV, I am not watching the game in Paladin Stadium, which costs the university and the SoCon money. Essentially, the SoCon is therefore paying some set figure to keep portions of their fanbase at home. Can they reach new fans just by being on TV? Sure. Still, most of the folks tuning into a SoCon broadcast are the same folks that are already fans of the conference and well-exposed to the teams.

I am first in line to support broadcasts of Furman athletics. However, I just don't necessarily think the absence of a big TV deal is less about a desire to increase conference exposure, and more of a desire to not throw good money at a losing investment. I don't think that is a SoCon problem either. I think that is the reality for virtually all of the have-nots of college football.

I do think in some aspects tv exposure is a thing for some schools. There a plenty of schools out there do not have gravitas as a university on their own merits, and require things like "hey, watch my football game" to spread their message. I can see it working out for those schools.

walliver
June 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM

The CAA has a better TV deal, but does anybody actually watch?
With falling ratings, will the deal be renewed?
How many casual fans will pick UNH-URI over Alabama-Florida?

I'll admit I did watch one CAA game last year, but that was to see if Taylor Heinicke was the reaL deal or not.
I would prefer SportsSouth over ESPN3. I prefer ESPN3 over CSS which is not available to non-cable users (OTA and satellite).

ButlerGSU
June 25th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Agreed, seems very petty to block your highest ranked teams.

ButlerGSU
June 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM
The CAA has a better TV deal, but does anybody actually watch?
With falling ratings, will the deal be renewed?
How many casual fans will pick UNH-URI over Alabama-Florida?

I'll admit I did watch one CAA game last year, but that was to see if Taylor Heinicke was the reaL deal or not.
I would prefer SportsSouth over ESPN3. I prefer ESPN3 over CSS which is not available to non-cable users (OTA and satellite).

Not sure if it was last year or the year before but I watched Delaware and ODU on the NBSsports network. They did a great job with the game.

Smitty
June 25th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I don't want to see App and GSU play each week. I want to see the teams battling for the championship play.

Think of this as a wake up call when you may get 1 game a year in the sunbelt...

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 07:20 AM
This is probably better than SS and definitely better than a regional broadcast of NBCSN

xlolx

There's no way an internet stream > than broadcast TV (SportSouth)

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I don't want to see App and GSU play each week. I want to see the teams battling for the championship play.

Think of this as a wake up call when you may get 1 game a year in the sunbelt...

At least that game will be on actual TV.

Smitty
June 25th, 2013, 07:23 AM
xlolx

Considering I don't have regular tv, the internet stream is amazing

Smitty
June 25th, 2013, 07:25 AM
At least that game will be on actual TV.

For those who get ESPN U

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM

On the other hand, the conference is showing a game with zero implications for the conference championship or playoffs on the same week that Wofford and Samford play (that should be a fairly big game).

One thing you have to give the SoCon is at least they are now showing the biggest games. No more of this showing the two teams who are battling for sixth place on the same week that you have a big game. The conference is obiligated to show every team at least once might as well show Western on the week when the only other interesting conference matchups are App/El Cid and GSU/Samford.

walliver
June 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM
On the other hand, the conference is showing a game with zero implications for the conference championship or playoffs on the same week that Wofford and Samford play (that should be a fairly big game).

One thing you have to give the SoCon is at least they are now showing the biggest games. No more of this showing the two teams who are battling for sixth place on the same week that you have a big game. The conference is obiligated to show every team at least once might as well show Western on the week when the only other interesting conference matchups are App/El Cid and GSU/Samford.

Actually the App/Cit and GSU/Sam games could both be interesting, especially the App game.

I doubt ratings matter at all, but there are a few other match-ups with ASU and GSU I would like to see, but the Old Mountain Jug is not one of them.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2013, 08:35 AM
xlolx

Highly debatable in 2013 and won't be much debate within a few years. Its ESPN3 not some random internet stream. SS is a regional tv station.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
If this were 2018 I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

Once internet TV is the most accessible and utilized way to reach the masses SoCon games will move back to regional cable.

citdog
June 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Agreed, seems very petty to block your highest ranked teams.

you will be forgotten by 1 Dec. It will be like you never existed.

BYE!

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
For those who get ESPN U

You're cherrypicking. Not all of the SBC games are on ESPNU. And, you may not know this, but a lot of people get ESPNU and not ESPN3. See, I have TWC internet, but DirecTV. So, TWC bars me from accessing ESPN3 because I don't subscribe to their crappy digital cable.

In my situation, it's a win-win for me. I get to watch games on actual TV and don't have to go to my FIL's house to watch ESPN3.

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Considering I don't have regular tv, the internet stream is amazing

Considering I don't get ESPN3, actual TV is amazing.

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Highly debatable in 2013 and won't be much debate within a few years. Its ESPN3 not some random internet stream. SS is a regional tv station.

xlolx

Not debatable in 2013. If I'm a casual fan, I'm not searching out SoCon games on my computer to watch over my TV.

SS is regional, but I live less than 5 miles from Charlotte and don't get ESPN3. Regional works better for the fans of the SoCon schools. Try again.

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM

BYE!

xlolx

SpiritCymbal
June 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM

22M people here in Southern California have to choose between ESPN3 or getting all the Fox Directional channels as well as CSS and such.

Which one do you think is more prevalent here?

The Cats
June 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM

At this point in time, I think only Elon fans care why Elon left the SoCon, but saying it was because the CAA had a superior TV package is beyond a joke.

Good bye. xthumbsupx

CID1990
June 25th, 2013, 11:41 AM
At this point in time, I think only Elon fans care why Elon left the SoCon, but saying it was because the CAA had a superior TV package is beyond a joke.

Good bye. xthumbsupx

Yeah that was about the goofiest thing I've read here, and that's saying something.

ElonFirefighter
June 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
One of the biggest reasons is we wanted to reach more people from the area we recruit. Playing teams and games up north gets un on the nightly news up there for their local teams, as well as the CAA TV package. Not saying it’s the sole reason we moved there, but it helped with the decision. Secondly you should care some. If TV continues the way it is you could see more teams bolt after a few more years of just espn3 and Public Access.

CID1990
June 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
One of the biggest reasons is we wanted to reach more people from the area we recruit. Playing teams and games up north gets un on the nightly news up there for their local teams, as well as the CAA TV package. Not saying it’s the sole reason we moved there, but it helped with the decision. Secondly you should care some. If TV continues the way it is you could see more teams bolt after a few more years of just espn3 and Public Access.

Maybe we aren't all that interested in schools that place such a high premium on trying to be featured on television, when the reality is that nobody outside of the fan base and a miniscule number of people who are just waiting for the UNC-Clemson game to come on will actually watch.

As long as you are FCS, the claim that exposure on TV is a motivating factor for conference affiliation is spurious at best. The only time Elon or WCU or The Citadel or Furman or anyo of the others get any kind of elevated viewership is when they are getting trounced by an FBS team and that game just happens to be on TV. Come to think of it, if TV exposure is your thing, why not just schedule 3 FBS teams per year? You'll get on TV more on average than you will in any FCS conference in existence.

PaladinNation
June 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
If this were 2018 I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

Once internet TV is the most accessible and utilized way to reach the masses SoCon games will move back to regional cable.

I disagree… the future of streaming sports is diversity and personal options. The internet hasn't narrowed our choices its expanded our choices.

The smart schools, are making their facilities "SMART" as in easy to plug in. Furman made the right move by investing heavy in fiber optics and plug in truck bays, to make it easy for ESPN to choose a Furman game. This will also make Furman attractive for broadcast of playoff games too.

Back to accessible sports, we have no idea what the next platform will be, but having a wired facility will be critical in the very near future. People want all of the above choices. SoCon and CAA and other FCS conferences will be choices along side the Sunbelt, the SEC, the PAC… because people want options.

ElonFirefighter
June 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
The viewership may be limited, but when you have commercials saying this weekend see Elon and Richmond on TV, or last night Elon beat William and Marry on a local VA TV station, it puts our name out there. The person never has to watch the game just hear our name. Then when they or their child, ect, is looking for a college they go hey ive heard about Elon maybe we should check it out.

ButlerGSU
June 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM

BYE!

This is probably true... not like SoCon fans ever talk about Marshall. xrolleyesx

Apphole
June 25th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I disagree… the future of streaming sports is diversity and personal options. The internet hasn't narrowed our choices its expanded our choices.

The smart schools, are making their facilities "SMART" as in easy to plug in. Furman made the right move by investing heavy in fiber optics and plug in truck bays, to make it easy for ESPN to choose a Furman game. This will also make Furman attractive for broadcast of playoff games too.

Back to accessible sports, we have no idea what the next platform will be, but having a wired facility will be critical in the very near future. People want all of the above choices. SoCon and CAA and other FCS conferences will be choices along side the Sunbelt, the SEC, the PAC… because people want options.

You're operating under the assumption that anyone watching a game via any form of media turned it on with the intention of watching that particular game. You might be surprised by how many people stop on an unfamiliar college football game while flipping channels.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM

You disagree but then state something about the future, got it. The future is no doubt interent TV, which is why I stated in 2013 ESPN3 is not equal or better than any form of actual TV.

"SMART" facilities, ahead of you there, App has a state of the art facilities, plug and play. ESPN pulls in, plugs in their truck at the bottom, plugs in the cameras on the 7th floor, roll tape.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM

The blinking picture box will never amount to anything.

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Appalachian did the same thing.

whoanellie
June 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
The viewership may be limited, but when you have commercials saying this weekend see Elon and Richmond on TV, or last night Elon beat William and Marry on a local VA TV station, it puts our name out there. The person never has to watch the game just hear our name. Then when they or their child, ect, is looking for a college they go hey ive heard about Elon maybe we should check it out.

also with 12,000 applicants for 1250 openings We will get even more selective and our younger Alum Bases in major cities will become more tied into these activities.

Smitty
June 25th, 2013, 01:04 PM
You're cherrypicking. Not all of the SBC games are on ESPNU. And, you may not know this, but a lot of people get ESPNU and not ESPN3. See, I have TWC internet, but DirecTV. So, TWC bars me from accessing ESPN3 because I don't subscribe to their crappy digital cable.

In my situation, it's a win-win for me. I get to watch games on actual TV and don't have to go to my FIL's house to watch ESPN3.

You get 2 games a year at least on ESPN or ESPN 2, they will probably be Tuesday games (nothing against Tuesdays games). That is for the whole sun belt. So if you are lucky you will get one of those games, otherwise you are going to be on ESPN U.

That of course, is if you even get selected to be on tv. 2013 they only have 6 games scheduled and Georgia State, Texas State, and South Alabama don't even have games scheduled this year. You may be in a situation where you might not be seen on TV at all...

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM

The first question would be, why would you want to recruit players from up north?

ElonFirefighter
June 25th, 2013, 01:37 PM
The first question would be, why would you want to recruit players from up north?

As a diehard southerner I'd say the same thing. As an analyst Id say because we are a good deal for them. Income is greater up there and the students are looking to get away from the cold. It is more likely we would draw a OOS northerner then a local who could go to a state school for a quarter of the cost.

The Cats
June 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
This is probably true... not like SoCon fans ever talk about Marshall. xrolleyesx

Actually, the fan base that brings up Marshall 85% of the time they are brought up is ASU fans. That will end as well too, soon.

chattownmocs
June 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
As a diehard southerner I'd say the same thing. As an analyst Id say because we are a good deal for them. Income is greater up there and the students are looking to get away from the cold. It is more likely we would draw a OOS northerner then a local who could go to a state school for a quarter of the cost.

It costs them the same because they are on scholarship. It costs y'all more to recruit them and pay for their scholarships. And the talent is lesser. makes no sense.

ASUMountaineer
June 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM
You get 2 games a year at least on ESPN or ESPN 2, they will probably be Tuesday games (nothing against Tuesdays games). That is for the whole sun belt. So if you are lucky you will get one of those games, otherwise you are going to be on ESPN U.

That of course, is if you even get selected to be on tv. 2013 they only have 6 games scheduled and Georgia State, Texas State, and South Alabama don't even have games scheduled this year. You may be in a situation where you might not be seen on TV at all...

Maybe, not sure why you're so concerned about App State's TV time. Of course, there's also regional deals for the Sun Belt which is nice for us. I'm not sure what you have against ESPNU...it is kind of odd.

Of course, your post doesn't address the fact that ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU is actual TV and ESPN3 is not. I am surprised that anyone would try to argue that an ESPN3-only "deal" is in any way superior to an actual national broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.

I don't say this to disparage WCU or the SoCon. The debate, as I understand it, is about which is better: actual broadcast TV or internet streaming.

I think most people, except chattown, would prefer that the SoCon still be on SportSouth vs. PBS/ESPN3. However, that is not the case and as a result, the ESPN3-only "deal" is really not much of a deal at all. More people have access to ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU than ESPN3. I have little doubt that in the future internet TV will be the norm, but we are certainly not there yet--especially with the limited access to ESPN3 across the country.

As of today, games on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU > games on ESPN3.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM

We can speculate all we want, but it really seems like the SoCon did not particularly like Elon, and Elon did not particularly like the SoCon.

Apphole
June 25th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Actually, the fan base that brings up Marshall 85% of the time they are brought up is ASU fans. That will end as well too, soon.

Prove it

SpiritCymbal
June 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Sun Belt also has TV contracts in place for the regional sports channels, which are also available to satellite subscribers and is an option for a lot of cable subscribers as well.

Not to mention, does the SoCon offer anything that is BETTER than what you just described?

ASUG8
June 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
xlolx

Not debatable in 2013. If I'm a casual fan, I'm not searching out SoCon games on my computer to watch over my TV.

SS is regional, but I live less than 5 miles from Charlotte and don't get ESPN3. Regional works better for the fans of the SoCon schools. Try again.

You have Harvey's in your backyard, so you really do have ESPN3. xlolx

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Prove it

The idea that folks on this forum would actually have to provide facts to back up their theories and conjectures is amusing. None of this would be fun to read if everyone was even remotely based in reality.

chattanoogamocs
June 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
The only time I talk about Marshall is as a cautionary tale of how you have to sell your soul to pay for a "big time" football team. They pretty much gutted the rest of their program to pay for it. The last time their men's basketball team went to the NCAA tournament? 1987

And what has it done for them? They had initial success while in the MAC, but from 2004-2012 they have only had 2 winning seasons (both 7-6). And the 1 or 2 BCS teams they have played each season in the last 6-8 years have pretty much all been blowouts.

But, I am not saying this as a dig to GSU and ASU. Their fans wanted to go FBS and that's cool with me (seriously, that is what they have craved for years, I am happy they got what they wanted so they will quit complaining about how awful it is to be in the SoCon). Everyone has to chase their dream. You never know if it is the right decision until you try it out. I wish them the best of luck.

eaglewraith
June 25th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Georgia State is not "officially" a member of the conference so that one makes sense.

Also SBC schools typically only have 1 non-Saturday game a year if any.

CID1990
June 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Marshall used to rarely come up on this board.

There has been a recent uptick in references to Marshall over the last year, and understandably so.

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM
You have Harvey's in your backyard, so you really do have ESPN3. xlolx

True. xlolx

SpiritCymbal
June 26th, 2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130626/SPORTS/306260037

Cobb said the Sun Belt currently pays out about $100,000 per school from football TV revenue, a figure he said will increase to $1 million per school by the time ASU joins the league.

He said there is no TV revenue from the SoCon; the league pays about $400,000 annually to have its football games and other sports televised.

So, SBC will RECEIVE $11-12M to have games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc...While the SoCon will PAY $400k to have games on ESPN3.

i'll just leave that here......

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130626/SPORTS/306260037

So, SBC will RECEIVE $11-12M to have games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc...While the SoCon will PAY $400k to have games on ESPN3.

i'll just leave that here......

Not to simplify things, but if you contemplate funding 85 scholarship players, tuition, room, board, and then factor in whatever cost it takes to move said players, plus equipment, plus staff and trainers several times in a season to San Marcos, Texas or Monroe, Louisiana from Statesboro, Georgia...that number may not look so impressive.

That doesn't even factor the part of the article that mentions App State is going to have to increase their budget by $5million to make it work. If we accept that a vast majority of college football programs lose money, I think you'll find that all of it comes out to probably close to even either way.

No, the SoCon teams don't get the revenue. They also don't have nearly the expense either.

SpiritCymbal
June 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Not to simplify things, but if you contemplate funding 85 scholarship players, tuition, room, board, and then factor in whatever cost it takes to move said players, plus equipment, plus staff and trainers several times in a season to San Marcos, Texas or Monroe, Louisiana from Statesboro, Georgia...that number may not look so impressive.

That doesn't even factor the part of the article that mentions App State is going to have to increase their budget by $5million to make it work.

It also doesn't take into account the increased revenue sharing from the bowl games, playoff system, etc...

seantaylor
June 26th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Lol. So, having to come out of pocket for TV games is similar to a million dollar payoff because of travel costs?

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Lol. So, having to come out of pocket for TV games is similar to a million dollar payoff because of travel costs?

I'm saying if you read the article, it is not as simple as "we make a million dollars." I am saying that most football programs lose money, despite revenue sharing, bowl games, whatever. Why? Because these small programs have to spend a lot more to cover the costs of running a football program.

If I make $10, and spend $7, I net $3. I also net $3 if I make $5 and spend $2. It is false economy to say "hey look at my $10" when you don't mention the fact that you are spending $7. In reality, they make the same money as the guy bringing home less and spending less.

I'm not arguing that the SunBelt won't produce more revenues. I'm saying that isn't the whole story.

Lehigh'98
June 27th, 2013, 05:50 AM
I'm saying if you read the article, it is not as simple as "we make a million dollars." I am saying that most football programs lose money, despite revenue sharing, bowl games, whatever. Why? Because these small programs have to spend a lot more to cover the costs of running a football program.

If I make $10, and spend $7, I net $3. I also net $3 if I make $5 and spend $2. It is false economy to say "hey look at my $10" when you don't mention the fact that you are spending $7. In reality, they make the same money as the guy bringing home less and spending less.

I'm not arguing that the SunBelt won't produce more revenues. I'm saying that isn't the whole story.

But you have more things spending $7 vs $2. Whether those things are worth having or not is debatable.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2013, 07:00 AM
But you have more things spending $7 vs $2. Whether those things are worth having or not is debatable.

I think that is where the issue is. We can line up all day the pros and cons about moving to the FBS. At the end of the day, it is a circular argument. What is important to one university just isn't important to another. It is probably as simple as that.

walliver
June 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
It also doesn't take into account the increased revenue sharing from the bowl games, playoff system, etc...

Looking at the original article: http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20130626/SPORTS/306260037

Cobb estimates it will take about a $5 million bump in the school’s current annual budget of $19 million to make the move up to FBS.

“We think about one-third of that will come from conference revenue, one-third self-generated by increasing ticket sales and fund-raising, and one-third will come from campus, which might include student fees,” he said.

Cobb said the Sun Belt currently pays out about $100,000 per school from football TV revenue, a figure he said will increase to $1 million per school by the time ASU joins the league.

It appears that the $1M probably includes the BCS payoff money.
The SunBelt TV contract has been widely rumored to be $1M for the conference which would be consistent with the $100,000 per school payout. The SBC is very secretive about this amount, probably because it is so small by FBS standards. It is very unlikely that ESPN would suddenly change the contract form $1M to $11M, especially with the SunBelt TV market losses; and if this were true, the SunBelt would be shouting this news from every rooftop.

ASU and GSU aren't going to waltz into the SunBelt and suddenly receive many millions of free dollars. ASU's AD seems quite aware of this. Whether it is worth the expense is a matter of debate. Obviously the ASU and GSU administrations feel it is, and that is all that matters.

Saint3333
June 27th, 2013, 08:49 AM
The BCS money and TV revenue will cover 50% of the increase.

Increased payday games 10-25%

Increased Yosef Club donations 10-25%

Advertising, tickets, etc. covers the balance.

If we can get a couple of good home and homes with FBS teams we'll be fine.

The Cats
June 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Don't count on making money from the bowls - College Football Winners Still Lose as Bowl Costs Exceed Payout (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-23/college-football-winners-still-lose-as-bowl-game-expenses-exceed-payout.html)

such as:
Ticket Sales
The Mid-American Conference had negotiated an agreement with the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl where their school’s payout was based solely on how many tickets it could sell, Ohio University Associate Athletic Director Dan Hauser said in an interview.

The Athens, Ohio, school received 10,000 tickets valued at $450,000. It sold 2,181 tickets, generating $98,150, for a game in Detroit about 278 miles north, at 1 p.m. the day after Christmas.

Since its expenses were $164,464, the school lost $66,314 playing in the game, according to university records.
“There was a cost, but this is our business,” Hauser said. “We’re about getting kids to the postseason in every sport, men’s and women’s. And they all cost money.”

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2013, 11:11 AM
The BCS money and TV revenue will cover 50% of the increase.

Increased Yosef Club donations 10-25%

Advertising, tickets, etc. covers the balance.

If we can get a couple of good home and homes with FBS teams we'll be fine.

Are those guesses? What if those numbers are closer to 10% than 25%?

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Don't count on making money from the bowls - College Football Winners Still Lose as Bowl Costs Exceed Payout (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-23/college-football-winners-still-lose-as-bowl-game-expenses-exceed-payout.html)

such as:

Bingo. As has been widely reported the past few years, some programs are heavily penalized for making a bowl game. They can't afford to win that much.

SpiritCymbal
June 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM

such as:
Sorry, I was referencing the revenue split from the new playoff system not making money directly from playing in a bowl game. I don't have time to find the articles from a couple of months of how the money will be split among the G5 conferences, but each conferences is going to be getting $1M per school right up front before any of the splits are calculated. Each team stands to get between $3M-$8M each year from the new playoff money split with most teams getting around $3M (even the ones that don't play in bowl games). Add in the TV revenue and that will cover approximately 1/2 of the expenses needed to move from 1-aa to I-A.

SpiritCymbal
June 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM

We've already seen this paying off for the 2014 season. Our games against GT, NCST and Navy will bring in $1.9M. Given our recent contracts against I-A opponents, that's about $900k-$1M more than we would have gotten by being 1-aa.

SpiritCymbal
June 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I think that is where the issue is. We can line up all day the pros and cons about moving to the FBS. At the end of the day, it is a circular argument. What is important to one university just isn't important to another. It is probably as simple as that.

Agreed 100%.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Its not quite cyclical, that's just as high as the person defending a bad argument can aspire to. Cant win, go for the draw.

Saint3333
June 27th, 2013, 12:01 PM
What if, what if. Well we could spend time wondering what if, or we could challenge ourselves and find out.

The safe and easy play would have been to stay in the SoCon. We are looking forward to working hard at the next level.

Skjellyfetti
June 27th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Bingo. As has been widely reported the past few years, some programs are heavily penalized for making a bowl game. They can't afford to win that much.

They're working toward fixing that.

Ticket guarantees (which are a large part of the deficit programs and conferences run into) will be dropping this coming year -- down to 12,500 for the College Football Playoff and there will be a discount for students.

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Its not quite cyclical, that's just as high as the person defending a bad argument can aspire to. Cant win, go for the draw.

I don't see it that way. At the end of the day, the move might work out for App State. If it doesn't, there will not be a single one of you that will come back on this forum one day and say "well, we were wrong. This sucks." Your administration deemed it was in the best interest of your university. Mahzaltov.

Furman likes to spend money on green energy programs. Most universities don't. That's just a decision. Furman thinks it is in its best interest to be a national leader in sustainability. That's important to Furman. It isn't important to other schools. Same with football - pros and cons, but at the end of the day you make the decision you think is best for the university.

One day App might have a huge revenue deal, a great conference, national audience, and a stylish new cap sold at Lids in the mall in El Paso. The reality is, we will never know how successful the move will be. Despite report after report of how these moves harm universities financially, you don't see a single school stand up and say "hey, this was a bad idea."

It's like the NFL denying they knew about head traumas despite ample evidence to the contrary. Everyone in the room knows the reality, but you'll never hear the people in charge admit to it. One day we'll see a football program say "this is too expensive - we cannot afford this." Today's not that day. Maybe tomorrow.

eaglewraith
June 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM
They're working toward fixing that.

Ticket guarantees (which are a large part of the deficit programs and conferences run into) will be dropping this coming year -- down to 12,500 for the College Football Playoff and there will be a discount for students.

This is due to the abuses of the bowl committees and all the money they make on the backs of these schools. They want to remove the ticket guarantees and put the burden on the bowls themselves to make the game a success attendance wise. As it is now the burden is on the participating schools.

Saint3333
June 27th, 2013, 02:17 PM
A lot of mights, coulds, maybes around here.

Facts:

App athletics currently loses money at the FCS level.

They will continue to do so at the FBS level.

This isn't a situation where App is making money now and may lose money going forward.

ThompsonThe
June 27th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Thought we made money now. Anyway, it doesn't matter. We are going FBS, which probably should have happened many years ago, but have enjoyed playing in the FCS at times and will miss a lot of the schools we have played in the past.

GlassOnion
June 27th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I don't see it that way. At the end of the day, the move might work out for App State. If it doesn't, there will not be a single one of you that will come back on this forum one day and say "well, we were wrong. This sucks." Your administration deemed it was in the best interest of your university. Mahzaltov.

Furman likes to spend money on green energy programs. Most universities don't. That's just a decision. Furman thinks it is in its best interest to be a national leader in sustainability. That's important to Furman. It isn't important to other schools. Same with football - pros and cons, but at the end of the day you make the decision you think is best for the university.

One day App might have a huge revenue deal, a great conference, national audience, and a stylish new cap sold at Lids in the mall in El Paso. The reality is, we will never know how successful the move will be. Despite report after report of how these moves harm universities financially, you don't see a single school stand up and say "hey, this was a bad idea."

It's like the NFL denying they knew about head traumas despite ample evidence to the contrary. Everyone in the room knows the reality, but you'll never hear the people in charge admit to it. One day we'll see a football program say "this is too expensive - we cannot afford this." Today's not that day. Maybe tomorrow.

In the same vein, staying in the FCS may work out for Furman, or they could suck like the past couple of years, or maybe suck even worse. App may have worked out in the FCS... or they could have become like Youngstown St. And you probably don't see it that way because FU has no choice in the matter regardless. Almost every school that has the opportunity, especially the ones with competent leadership, make the same choice.

ThompsonThe
June 28th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Didn't the Furman Paladins have a certain win over a team we are very fond of year before last?

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Didn't the Furman Paladins have a certain win over a team we are very fond of year before last?

Yes. Same fond team also struggled to beat the worst Furman team in 20 years last season. Same fond team also has a losing record against Furman.

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2013, 05:41 AM
In the same vein, staying in the FCS may work out for Furman, or they could suck like the past couple of years, or maybe suck even worse. App may have worked out in the FCS... or they could have become like Youngstown St. And you probably don't see it that way because FU has no choice in the matter regardless. Almost every school that has the opportunity, especially the ones with competent leadership, make the same choice.

Again, the move is purely App State's. It says nothing of Furman. You are trying to make some logical connection between competent university leadership and moving to the FBS. Furman does not need the FBS to market its university. We don't need billboards or Tuesday night games on ESPN. Furman has done just fine for 185 years.

Call it complacency or satisfaction with the status quo. That's your opinion. I could go buy a flat in Manhattan to make myself look more prestigious...but why? I can't afford it, and even if I could, it doesn't interest me.