PDA

View Full Version : ETSU Football: What's Next? A Football Stadium.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 23rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
As everyone knows, it is a foregone conclusion that ETSU will NOT be playing their games in the Mini-Dome. Now that they got a new head coach in Carl Torbush (good move given the timing), now they to figure out a place to play.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/108905/funding-for-etsu-football-stadium-shouldnt-be-a-problem

Check out the following excerpt, makes you wonder why Dave Mullins "retired."

“All the places on campus that are easy to build are not the places you would want to put anything. We’re not going to put $20 million into a football stadium and put it in a flood plain, so we’re going to wait for the engineers to come in and provide us with the best options. We also want to give the coach an opportunity to provide his input.”
ETSU is being diligent in an effort to avoid some of the problems that have come up with its newest athletic facilities. The field at Summers-Taylor Stadium, the home of ETSU’s soccer teams, was left under water by heavy rains in January. In addition, construction of the baseball team’s new home, Thomas Stadium, was delayed after rock was discovered at the site.

I was the one who initially suggested Summers-Taylor and now based on this article, I may be mistaken.

rokamortis
June 23rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
Aren't they supposed to start playing in 2015? They might be able to pull it off but it doesn't seem like enough time to design and build a brand new, complete stadium and get all of the necessary approvals. Are they planning on playing in a temporary location in the first year or two?

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Aren't they supposed to start playing in 2015? They might be able to pull it off but it doesn't seem like enough time to design and build a brand new, complete stadium and get all of the necessary approvals. Are they planning on playing in a temporary location in the first year or two?

Mercer broke ground on its football stadium Nov. 2012 and will be playing football there this fall. Not impossible.

pike51
June 24th, 2013, 07:48 AM
The "tic-tac" was up on a hill slightly above the main road IIRC. What's to stop them from tearing it down and building there? Just a thought. COuld they play in the mini-dome until a new facility is completed (not that they'd want to). I think that would be my choice... play in the "tic-tac" until a top level facility is finished. I'd go App State on it and build it on top of the mountain. They have some pretty views over there too.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Helping ETSU's cause is the fact that one of their alums is on the State Building Commission and is also TN's Lieutenant Governor.

CID1990
June 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Just knock down the dome and put it there.

rokamortis
June 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Mercer broke ground on its football stadium Nov. 2012 and will be playing football there this fall. Not impossible.

I think a public institution will have more trouble than a private school. I know it varies by state but I'd be surprised if a state supported school didn't take at least 12 months for review and approval of a new building. Add in design and build time, it could easily be over 2 years. If they have the inside track to budget / state approvals, as BnGR stated, then they could be fine - but in a normal situation I think they should be close to approvals by now in order to start construction within the next 3-6 months and be ready for a 2015 kickoff.

ETSUfan1
June 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Our administration has already said that we will be playing in high school stadiums the first year. Science Hill just built a nice brand new facility a couple of years ago. We'll probably be playing mostly D2 and D3 schools anyway in 2015. 2016 is when we will be in our brand new on campus stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Our administration has already said that we will be playing in high school stadiums the first year. Science Hill just build a nice brand new facility a couple of years ago. We'll probably be playing mostly D2 and D3 schools anyway in 2015. 2016 is when we will be in our brand new on campus stadium.

Is Science Hill the Toppers? If so, that looks like a very suitable stadium for the first couple of years.

ETSU could also do something with the baseball stadium downtown.

ETSUfan1
June 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
That's right. The capacity is 8,000 and you could bring in some temporary bleachers if you wanted to.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 24th, 2013, 07:05 PM

If Stanford can tear down an existing 60,000 seat stadium and build a comletely new 50,000 seat state of the art facility in 42 weeks, ETSU should be able to pull off a 12,000 seat facility over a couple of years.

rokamortis
June 25th, 2013, 02:04 AM
If Stanford can tear down an existing 60,000 seat stadium and build a comletely new 50,000 seat state of the art facility in 42 weeks, ETSU should be able to pull off a 12,000 seat facility over a couple of years.

An ETSU fan has already stated that they will play their first year in a high school stadium, so they aren't planning to have it ready for at least 3 years. I think they could build it in a couple of years but they haven't even selected a site yet and state approvals may take a long time. Stanford is private, so that gives them some advantages but I think the 42 months is just construction time and does not include site selection or design time - and they wouldn't have to deal with any state budget approvals.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
ETSU to initially build a stadium that will seat 3500 (pending State Building Commission approval).

http://www.wcyb.com/news/etsu-football-stadium-to-be-considered-thursday/-/14590844/20919934/-/h6g7sxz/-/index.html

I like to see what they have in mind.

UNDColorado
July 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM
ETSU to initially build a stadium that will seat 3500 (pending State Building Commission approval).

http://www.wcyb.com/news/etsu-football-stadium-to-be-considered-thursday/-/14590844/20919934/-/h6g7sxz/-/index.html

ETSU has a pretty cool logo BTW. A bit off topic but damn it is cool.

walliver
July 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM

3500 seems very small. Unless they are building the visitors side first with a temporary pressbox and building the home side later. Even then, it would seem more prudent to play in a 8000 seat high school stadium than an on-campus 3500 seater. If there is real interest in the return of football, I would hope they can sell more tickets than 3500.

Although it will still probably be nicer than their fellow "Bucs" at CSU.

TTUEagles
July 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
3500 seems very small. Unless they are building the visitors side first with a temporary pressbox and building the home side later. Even then, it would seem more prudent to play in a 8000 seat high school stadium than an on-campus 3500 seater. If there is real interest in the return of football, I would hope they can sell more tickets than 3500.

Article says that the final seating would be 10,000 - first phase to be 3500

FCSfan
July 11th, 2013, 09:31 AM
glad to see etsu rejoining the socon and the football fellas. is the new coach the #1 on their list of desired hires?

pike51
July 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Although it will still probably be nicer than their fellow "Bucs" at CSU.

Gotta start somewhere. I like their plan. 3,500 seats to start. Build interest and expand. Sounds like they are moving forward with a very specific, determined timeline and goals. Should lay the foundation for success in the future.

Just so you have an idea of what this could look like... I played my freshman yea at Cumberland College (now Univ. of the Cumberlands). They had just completed a 2,400 seat football facility. Small temporary bleachers were added on the visitors side but nothing permanent. The same structure stands today without any expansion. Although I fully expect ETSU to require immediate expansion, an initial 3,500 seat facility like this would be an excellent start.

http://www.cumberlandspatriots.com/images/Facility_Pictures/football2.jpg

Again, this facility is only 2,400 seats so imagine if it had an additional 100 seats addes.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Gotta start somewhere. I like their plan. 3,500 seats to start. Build interest and expand. Sounds like they are moving forward with a very specific, determined timeline and goals. Should lay the foundation for success in the future.

Just so you have an idea of what this could look like... I played my freshman yea at Cumberland College (now Univ. of the Cumberlands). They had just completed a 2,400 seat football facility. Small temporary bleachers were added on the visitors side but nothing permanent. The same structure stands today without any expansion. Although I fully expect ETSU to require immediate expansion, an initial 3,500 seat facility like this would be an excellent start.

http://www.cumberlandspatriots.com/images/Facility_Pictures/football2.jpg

Again, this facility is only 2,400 seats so imagine if it had an additional 100 seats addes.

Yuck! That "thing" looks like it was built from whatever materials were leftover from another project.

Dane96
July 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
FYI-- there is NO WAY that thing is 2400 seats. Not a chance. Even if there were 20 rows, which it seems like, and the bleacher parts fit 24 across...the seat-backs fit 16 or so across.

That would give you about 1200 seats in this structure.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 11th, 2013, 11:25 AM
glad to see etsu rejoining the socon and the football fellas. is the new coach the #1 on their list of desired hires?

ETSU hired Carl Torbush last month, a couple of assistants are expected to be named soon.

FCSfan
July 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I hope torbush does a great job. do you know if he was their top of the list candidate?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I hope torbush does a great job. do you know if he was their top of the list candidate?

ETSU wanted a certain former SEC head coach who won a national title 15 yrs ago only to be rebuffed.

FCSfan
July 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM
ahhhhhh. understood

GA St. MBB Fan
July 11th, 2013, 09:08 PM
ETSU wanted a certain former SEC head coach who won a national title 15 yrs ago only to be rebuffed.

Isn't he serving as a consultant for them in some capacity?

rrtguy
July 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Isn't he serving as a consultant for them in some capacity?

Yes, he headed up the coaching search, is involved in the coaching clinic that Coach Torbush is holding and apparently, according to local media, may play a role in recruiting.

As far as the actual stadium goes, it has been approved and they are apparently moving forward with plans for an $18 million, 10,000 seat stadium.