PDA

View Full Version : Former Wofford QB to play season at Coastal Carolina

rokamortis
June 21st, 2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/06/20/former-wofford-qb-to-play-season-at-coastal-carolina/

Brian Kass graduated in 4 years at Wofford as a RS Junior and has 1 year of eligibility remaining. He is transferring to Coastal to work on his MBA.

Any Wofford / SoCon fans have any insight into him? What kind of player is he? How much of Wofford's recent success can be attributed to his skills / leadership?

Seems like a good get for Coastal. I thought we were pretty set on a QB with Alex Ross, so does this change things or is Kass brought in to have a mature backup or to be used in another role?

eaglewraith
June 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM
He was good at handing the ball off to Britenstein.

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM
He was good at handing the ball off to Britenstein.

I've seen him play a time or two, but you're right, Wofford's offense was built around handing the ball to #7.

The 2012 numbers bear out that the Terriers were the league's worst passing team (even among the option team). Wofford is far more likely to keep their passing plays in and around the line of scrimmage (stop routes and quick outs). GSU, for instance, is an option team that, when they pass, likes to go for a haymaker.

Hard to tell if Wofford's inability to throw the ball is a product of the offense philosophy, or the players in the system. I follow SoCon football pretty closely and do not think I could tell you a single Wofford receiver in the past 10 years. Interesting to see if Coastal changes their offensive philosophy to accommodate this kid, or vice versa.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 21st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I've seen him play a time or two, but you're right, Wofford's offense was built around handing the ball to #7.

The 2012 numbers bear out that the Terriers were the league's worst passing team (even among the option team). Wofford is far more likely to keep their passing plays in and around the line of scrimmage (stop routes and quick outs). GSU, for instance, is an option team that, when they pass, likes to go for a haymaker.

Hard to tell if Wofford's inability to throw the ball is a product of the offense philosophy, or the players in the system. I follow SoCon football pretty closely and do not think I could tell you a single Wofford receiver in the past 10 years. Interesting to see if Coastal changes their offensive philosophy to accommodate this kid, or vice versa.

How many GSU receivers can you name? :D

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
How many GSU receivers can you name? :D

I will submit to you that I knew some of their names at one point. Not any more.

Tealblood
June 21st, 2013, 05:55 PM
I don't think he will be used as a qb much mostly as an athlete to get some touches

CID1990
June 21st, 2013, 07:13 PM
A lateral transfer from the SoCon to the BS and people sound like it was FBS to FCS.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/22/edegu5yz.jpg

Come to think of it, that's about right.

Sent from the center of the universe.

BisonFan02
June 21st, 2013, 07:49 PM
Worked out pretty well for NDSU when Andre Martin Jr. used his last year of eligibility at NDSU transferring from UNI for his masters...best of luck to Brian.

rokamortis
June 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
A lateral transfer from the SoCon to the BS and people sound like it was FBS to FCS.

I know you are trying to be funny, but I don't think anyone is considering it that level. hell, we aren't even sure if he'll even be playing QB. The others make it seem like he was just there to handoff and his stats aren't that great.

dungeonjoe
June 21st, 2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/06/20/former-wofford-qb-to-play-season-at-coastal-carolina/

Brian Kass graduated in 4 years at Wofford as a RS Junior and has 1 year of eligibility remaining. He is transferring to Coastal to work on his MBA.

Any Wofford / SoCon fans have any insight into him? What kind of player is he? How much of Wofford's recent success can be attributed to his skills / leadership?

Seems like a good get for Coastal. I thought we were pretty set on a QB with Alex Ross, so does this change things or is Kass brought in to have a mature backup or to be used in another role?

Kass is a good player. I suspect the system at Wofford did not utilize all of his talents. For the most part he is rugged player, although he had injury issues last year. I think he can run; his throwing was a mixed bag. But again, 1-4 throws a game is not the standard to use to judge him.

I am thankful for his time at Wofford and wish him the best at Coastal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CFBfan
June 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM
I don't think he will be used as a qb much mostly as an athlete to get some touches

coastal's new OC (Dave Patenau....not spelled correctly) is very good and will know where and how to use him

walliver
June 22nd, 2013, 11:30 PM
BK was never an option QB. He worked hard, but the option never came naturally to him. I suspect he will do better in a more traditional system.

He has also had durability issues. He missed spring practice 3 years ago due to a snowboarding accident.
He missed the playoffs in 2011 due to a back injury he suffered while home for Thanksgiving.
He spent much of 2012 on the bench with injuries.

For what I hear, he is a good guy.

There are players who have a feel for the option, and those who, despite maximum effort do not. BK was one of the latter, and was probably the third best OPTION QB on the team last year, but had experience and maturity and earned his starting spot.
I suspect he will be more successful at CCU than he was at Wofford, if he can stay healthy.

Tealblood
June 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/22/edegu5yz.jpg

Come to think of it, that's about right.

Sent from the center of the universe.
Its a story because some kid- who from all reports is a pretty upstanding kid is going to take advantage of the rules and use his final year of eligibility at a school most in the socon consider a home of meatheads and knuckledraggers to begin getting his MBA

alvinkayak6
June 24th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Its a story because some kid- who from all reports is a pretty upstanding kid is going to take advantage of the rules and use his final year of eligibility at a school most in the socon consider a home of meatheads and knuckledraggers to begin getting his MBA

Plus he gets to hang out with the former CEO of TD Ameritrade. I'd say his stock is rising.

Saint3333
June 24th, 2013, 07:38 PM
That is actually the most surprising thing about the story. Why would a Wofford graduate choose CCU's MBA program?

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 05:02 AM
That is actually the most surprising thing about the story. Why would a Wofford graduate choose CCU's MBA program?

Probably because they are local and needed a quarterback.

tourguide
June 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM
The only way he can be immediately eligible is CC has some sort of emphasis Wofford does not have. am I wrong?

walliver
June 25th, 2013, 06:42 AM

There is not a plethora of MBA-offering schools needing a one-year FCS-level QB.

This is a football-playing-time decision, not an academic one. For a number of reasons, many health related, he didn't get as much playing time at Wofford as he wanted. Although I wish he had stayed, I am not sure he could endure another year of the pounding received every game by TO QB's.

I, like most Wofford fans, wish him the best. His experience will be missed, but we will have 4 young QB's ready to play (which means lots of excitement:) and possibly lots of turnoversxbawlingx).

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2013, 06:43 AM
The only way he can be immediately eligible is CC has some sort of emphasis Wofford does not have. am I wrong?

Probably not hard. I believe that Wofford, like Furman, Davidson, and some others, are a small liberal arts type college. There's a good chance they don't offer any graduate programs, and if they do, they are extremely limited.

walliver
June 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/11/06/ncaa-mens-college-basketball-transfers-graduate-students/1679537/

The article is about BB, but the same applies to FB.
Basically any college GRADUATE can play his 5th year anywhere he wants.