PDA

View Full Version : Save Ferris!......

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 03:07 PM
State...NDSU hosts DII Ferris State on 9/7. Someone cue taps...

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Sigh. Yay six home games?

http://gobison.com/news/2013/6/19/FB_0619130618.aspx

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Gross..... Would have rather played MSUM...or no one.

Silenoz
June 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
If there is a god, you'll be given the opportunity to take it out on MSU in December...

Go Bison
June 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Well, Ferris State is DI*

*They are DI in hockey.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Just going to point this out. Gene Taylor stated a couple months ago that he talked to the NCAA playoff selection commitee to see if 10 DI + 1 DII would have more significance vs just 10 DI games. They said make sure that you schedule 11 games, even if one is D2.

Needless to say, I am bummed.

BEAR
June 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hello...is this NDSU? Yes...we want to schedule a game..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5FhhRFaSQgs/TnUFSODl37I/AAAAAAAAEpU/FLY1XqFcWt0/s1600/FerrisBueller_034Pyxurz.jpg

BEAR
June 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Just going to point this out. Gene Taylor stated a couple months ago that he talked to the NCAA playoff selection commitee to see if 10 DI + 1 DII would have more significance vs just 10 DI games. They said make sure that you schedule 11 games, even if one is D2.

Needless to say, I am bummed.

ell, at least it isn't Bacon State like we had...or play a schedule where you are getting 2 or 3 move ups and YOU HAVE TO PLAY THEM..no disrespect to IW and the like, just that if you don't win conference, then the committee looks at OOC, kinda in conference teams you play.

ccd494
June 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/mice/2012-13/photos/ccha-champs12.jpg?max_width=500

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
State...NDSU hosts DII Ferris State on 9/7. Someone cue taps...

You shouldn't be #1 after week one.

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Week 1 NDSU beats K State...I would say we are still #1. :D. Honestly, I wonder if Ferris State is going to be any worse than Prairie View or Robert Morris last year.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Week 1 NDSU beats K State...I would say we are still #1. :D. Honestly, I wonder if Ferris State is going to be any worse than Prairie View or Robert Morris last year.

Both points I agree with.

Win week one and be happy. Then don't let down after that.

BEAR
June 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
NDSU beats K-State then loses to Ferris Beuller State.....where the freak do you rank them then! xlolx

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM
#1.

It's not the first week that matters with rankings, it's where you finish the season.

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM
NDSU beats K-State then loses to Ferris Beuller State.....where the freak do you rank them then! xlolx

#1...D2 games don't count right? :D

BEAR
June 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
#1...D2 games don't count right? :D

Only in perception...you know in the eyes of AGS poll voters that actually KNOW how to vote...xthumbsupx

MplsBison
June 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
This is correct.

1) gives everyone a well deserved 6th chance to see NDSU play at the Fargodome in the regular season, tailgate in September, etc.

2) NDSU doesn't necessarily need, but will absolutely take the revenue from the home game to pay the bills (NCAA takes almost all the money from playoff games in Fargo)

3) Another win - and in this case as confirmed by our AD, a DII win still actually counts in the eyes of the committee. In other words, 8-3 with a DII win > 7-3 and probably gets us in vs. being left out. Also see point #2...the NCAA probably demanded that NDSU schedule 11 games to make sure they can get as many playoff games in Fargo as possible

4) gets much needed game experience for non-starters

There you have it folks. Anyone who says this was a bad idea...frankly...you're selfish and irreverent. Flame away.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 03:49 PM
What a fricken joke of a game. 6 home games? Hardly. I promise I will not leave the parking lot to watch this trash. Selling those tickets.

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM
What a fricken joke of a game. 6 home games? Hardly. I promise I will not leave the parking lot to watch this trash. Selling those tickets.

Feel free to sell those tix...I'm sure a bunch of people would jump at them for the chance to watch the home opener and banner raising.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM

As a Bison fan I agree.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Feel free to sell those tix...I'm sure a bunch of people would jump at them for the chance to watch the home opener and banner raising.

I hope so! It will pay for plane tickets back down to the Natty Champ game again. Wait until someone tears their achilles playing a DII team... awesome.

Herder
June 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Not so fast my friend!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Over reacting to having a D2 game is sure to ensue but JFC man just go have a good time as usual, help out a team that could use a little money, let em' play a game against someone in a stadium they will surely appreciate and see it with fans of another team that shows em' some respect.

A ton of guys that need some extra game experience will absolutely get it and may come in handy later in the season.

It was a tough situation and since the AD tried to make the best of a bad situation I don't see how it hurts any fans to do the same.

It won't make your team less than it would have been before.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I hope so! It will pay for plane tickets back down to the Natty Champ game again. Wait until someone tears their achilles playing a DII team... awesome.

Because playing against a DI game means no injuries will occur.

Your logic is so flawed.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Your logic is so flawed.

That wasn't what I was getting at but nice try MplsBison.

344Johnson
I will try my hardest to not leave before the 4th quarter...I am making no promises however.

ursus arctos horribilis

Your logic is so flawed.

Very flawed.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM
That wasn't what I was getting at but nice try MplsBison.

What were you getting at? Our fans deserve 6 home games with the amount of support we give to this team and program. Yes, we aren't able to play against some FCS team, but you know what, the NCAA told Gene Taylor to his face to schedule an eleventh game, home, away or DII. I'm sticking with that.

It is what it is. Is someone going to downplay our third championship this year when we win it? Nope, and if they do they are just looking for a reason to complain about us.

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Very flawed.

Agree, but I hope he sells those fix to someone who wants to be there.

Professor Chaos
June 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Gross..... Would have rather played MSUM...or no one.
I'm sure Taylor would've preferred MSUM (or some local D2 school as well) but the NISC plays no OOC games since there's like 2754 teams in the conference.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Agree, but I hope he sells those fix to someone who wants to be there.

I sure will they will be on Stubhub as soon as my season tickets get here. See ya in the tailgating lot!

Professor Chaos
June 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Btw, I find it pretty ironic that some fans are claiming they won't go to this game because it's a D2. I'm sure all those fans were on board with the Big Ten mandating no more FCS games....

NoDak 4 Ever
June 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Over reacting to having a D2 game is sure to ensue but JFC man just go have a good time as usual, help out a team that could use a little money, let em' play a game against someone in a stadium they will surely appreciate and see it with fans of another team that shows em' some respect.

A ton of guys that need some extra game experience will absolutely get it and may come in handy later in the season.

It was a tough situation and since the AD tried to make the best of a bad situation I don't see how it hurts any fans to do the same.

This. Anyone cry about the PVAM game last year? That could have been 100-0

Vitojr130
June 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Good, I know some people that would love to see the banner raising... xlolx

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM
What were you getting at? Our fans deserve 6 home games with the amount of support we give to this team and program. Yes, we aren't able to play against some FCS team, but you know what, the NCAA told Gene Taylor to his face to schedule an eleventh game, home, away or DII. I'm sticking with that.

It is what it is. Is someone going to downplay our third championship this year when we win it? Nope, and if they do they are just looking for a reason to complain about us.

DII is a non-counter (everyone here knows that) if Marcus Williams gets hurt playing against a FBS or FCS counter I would chalk that up to "part of the game." But for someone to get hurt against a non-counter DII team? I would have much rather not played the game. It sucks having the potential for injury on a National Championship caliber team when the only upside is one more home game (money for NDSU). What if that one more home game actually costs us more home games in the end (no home field advantage in the playoffs)? However, I did not know the NCAA told Gene we had to schedule 11 games or else.

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Btw, I find it pretty ironic that some fans are claiming they won't go to this game because it's a D2. I'm sure all those fans were on board with the Big Ten mandating no more FCS games....

Funny because I thought FCS was still a counter for the Big Ten? Nevermind... didn't know D2 now counts.

Go Bison
June 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Jeff Kolpack tweeted this:
Ferris game will count toward countable victories under revised FCS playoff criteria, a new standard approved last week by FCS committee.

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Ferris game will count toward countable victories under revised FCS playoff criteria, a new standard approved last week by FCS committee.

Haha!! Suck on that Montana State. :D

NDSUstudent
June 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I take back what I have been saying. I was wrong because I was just informed the D2 victories will now count for the win total this year? Sweet. The injury argument is void. Still sucks playing a D2 team but if they count...

Go Bison
June 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Well, the backup NDSU players will get some playing time.

Vitojr130
June 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I take back what I have been saying. I was wrong because I was just informed the D2 victories will now count for the win total this year? Sweet. The injury argument is void. Still sucks playing a D2 team but if they count...

It has never been an official rule that D2 teams didn't count.

BisonBacker
June 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Anyone want to predict the score of this massacre?

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Nope....and knowing Bohl, it won't be high enough.

344Johnson
June 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM

55-3

bojeta
June 19th, 2013, 04:40 PM
DII is a non-counter (everyone here knows that) if Marcus Williams gets hurt playing against a FBS or FCS counter I would chalk that up to "part of the game." But for someone to get hurt against a non-counter DII team? I would have much rather not played the game. It sucks having the potential for injury on a National Championship caliber team when the only upside is one more home game (money for NDSU). What if that one more home game actually costs us more home games in the end (no home field advantage in the playoffs)? However, I did not know the NCAA told Gene we had to schedule 11 games or else.

Shouldn't be an issue in a 12 game year.

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM

After we beat Kansas State eh?

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
This is correct.

1) gives everyone a well deserved 6th chance to see NDSU play at the Fargodome in the regular season, tailgate in September, etc.

2) NDSU doesn't necessarily need, but will absolutely take the revenue from the home game to pay the bills (NCAA takes almost all the money from playoff games in Fargo)

3) Another win - and in this case as confirmed by our AD, a DII win still actually counts in the eyes of the committee. In other words, 8-3 with a DII win > 7-3 and probably gets us in vs. being left out. Also see point #2...the NCAA probably demanded that NDSU schedule 11 games to make sure they can get as many playoff games in Fargo as possible

4) gets much needed game experience for non-starters

There you have it folks. Anyone who says this was a bad idea...frankly...you're selfish and irreverent. Flame away.

If ferris state injures Mwill or Crocket this was a horrible idea, but yeah, overall another game is a good thing. D2 games blow though and this better not become a pattern.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM
So if DII's are now a counter are more teams going to schedule DII teams since the price for DI's are very high?

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm sure Taylor would've preferred MSUM (or some local D2 school as well) but the NISC plays no OOC games since there's like 2754 teams in the conference.

Yeah, I also like oranges more than apples :p.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 19th, 2013, 05:03 PM
So if DII's are now a counter are more teams going to schedule DII teams since the price for DI's are very high?

Hopefully. **** those who charged too much.

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM

DII's are not a counter. It is not the same as FCS playing FbS and being a bowl counter. More or less they were saying 10 games in a 12 game year looks worse than 11 games even if one is a non counter. I hope that we do not schedule another D2, ever again. I am scared that when this game sells out they could become a trend, as they potentially yield a higher profit margin.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hopefully. **** those who charged too much.

So you can have 1 FBS, 1 FCS, and 1 DII and your schedule is pretty much set. There are a lot of DII schools around UND and NDSU to choose from (Mankato, St. Cloud St, Augustana, Bemidji State).

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM

Well that changes things. I still would rather play a DI school unless they are a DII powerhouse and can give us a game.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM
DII's are not a counter. It is not the same as FCS playing FbS and being a bowl counter. More or less they were saying 10 games in a 12 game year looks worse than 11 games even if one is a non counter. I hope that we do not schedule another D2, ever again. I am scared that when this game sells out they could become a trend, as they potentially yield a higher profit margin.

Then why would Kolpack tweet about it being a counter? Someone needs to find this new rule.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM
If we want the FBS to play us, we need to be willing to play DII, especially since they count as wins. At least I believe that's what they told Taylor earlier this year.

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Then why would Kolpack tweet about it being a counter? Someone needs to find this new rule.

Check right above that post. Didn't know about the amendment. I hope it isn't true, but if kolpack reported it...it likely is.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Check right above that post. Didn't know about the amendment. I hope it isn't true, but if kolpack reported it...it likely is.

I saw your post after I posted mine. I never heard the rule until today. I assume only 1 DII on the schedule counts, more than that it won't. Some DII teams are better than some FCS teams. Grand Valley State, Ferris State, Minnesota Duluth. As UND, SDSU, Indiana State has learned not all those games are guaranteed wins.

UNDColorado
June 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM

I gotta believe that Williams will be relaxing on the bench by the end of the first quarter. This should be a good opportunity to get your non-starters some valuable experience. Plus, the game counts now so who cares?

edit: read thru and saw that you realized that one D2 games does count.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM

So, are you still selling your tickets? Because before you were saying that because it was a D2 team you were selling them. Now that they count, you'll watch?

That's pretty lame. That's like not showing up to the Green and Gold game man.

AmsterBison
June 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Well, two things.

1. I don't underestimate D2 teams - especially not full-scholly ones.
2. Better Ferris State than Bye Week.

Southern Bison
June 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Damn...y'all are bitching about watching the Back to Back National Champs go for a 3-peat in a 6th game at home. xbawlingx Talk about a bunch of weak-ass spoiled brats!! I have attended 2 games (@ GaSo - 2006 & NC Semi vs. GaSo - 2011) since graduation in 2000 due to geography (living in NC) and I have savored every moment of the game in which I was privileged to watch my Alma Mater. I'll witness my third game as an alum at Youngstown in Nov. and be sure to enjoy the tailgating, comradarie with fellow Bison fans, cheering on the team, and the victory celebration afterwards. Put your big girl panties on, get your ass inside the FargoDome, and cheer the boys onto victory!!

Stand 'til we score!!

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Damn...y'all are bitching about watching the Back to Back National Champs go for a 3-peat in a 6th game at home. xbawlingx Talk about a bunch of weak-ass spoiled brats!! I have attended 2 games (@ GaSo - 2006 & NC Semi vs. GaSo - 2011) since graduation in 2000 due to geography (living in NC) and I have savored every moment of the game in which I was privileged to watch my Alma Mater. I'll witness my third game as an alum at Youngstown in Nov. and be sure to enjoy the tailgating, comradarie with fellow Bison fans, cheering on the team, and the victory celebration afterwards. Put your big girl panties on, get your ass inside the FargoDome, and cheer the boys onto victory!!

Stand 'til we score!!

xoutofrepx

If we defer to the second half, we still will probably not be standing very long with a defense that can force turnovers like ours. :D

frozennorth
June 19th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I agree. Expecting to jump bama and stanford would be a bit presumptious, no matter how bad we stomp kstate.

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM

I find the elitism ironic due to the fact that many NDSU fans are hollering like stuck pig that many FBS teams wont play FCS. Supposedly because they are scared of getting beat, no win situation etc etc. LOL Same can be said of these match ups.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I find the elitism ironic due to the fact that many NDSU fans are hollering like stuck pig that many FBS teams wont play FCS. Supposedly because they are scared of getting beat, no win situation etc etc. LOL Same can be said of these match ups.

Ding Ding Ding!

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM

I dont think ALL D2s will be a counter. Just as many FCS dont count.

BlueKeyAlum
June 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I was thinking more hypocritical than ironic.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I dont think ALL D2s will be a counter. Just as many FCS dont count.

Huh??? You mean towards a bowl game I would think the non-schollie teams don't count correct?

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Huh??? You mean towards a bowl game I would think the non-schollie teams don't count correct?

I think this is how it works---Its based on a rolling 3-5 year scale of having a certain percentage of players on scholarship based on the maximum number of scholarships allowed.

semobison
June 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
This beats playing only 10 games, and is not our first meeting. We played Ferris in 99 to open the season winning 55-35. They are a good DII team from a good DII conference. This should be a tougher game than Prairie View. That being said, it still should be over by halftime!

Screamin_Eagle174
June 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
So is there a single legitimate news source that states/explains how a D-II game will count towards playoff eligibility?

344Johnson
June 19th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Stand 'til we score!!

C'mon old man. Stand the whole game...except halftime....and tv timeouts....and quarter breaks.

Southern Bison
June 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM
C'mon old man. Stand the whole game...except halftime....and tv timeouts....and quarter breaks.

Son...we never sat down! We were yelling that at the Teammakers and old farts across the field. Damn whippersnappers! :D

I will say I was impressed with the student section at the GaSo game I saw in 2011! Way to keep the tradition!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 19th, 2013, 11:20 PM
So is there a single legitimate news source that states/explains how a D-II game will count towards playoff eligibility?

The Forum beat writer everybody is quoting.

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM

Stand 'til we score!!

WHY??????

JSUBison
June 19th, 2013, 11:35 PM

It doesn't get into the details of the issue, but this article quotes the NDSU AD. The NCAA hasn't released the formula yet.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403617/group/Sports/

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 11:41 PM
It doesn't get into the details of the issue, but this article quotes the NDSU AD. The NCAA hasn't released the formula yet.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403617/group/Sports/

This ratings system will be interesting to see how it plays out. Then I wonder what kind of DII team to schedule, a powerhouse like Duluth, or Grand Valley St. Or if they are all rated the same most teams will take whatever DII team is available.

BisonBacker
June 20th, 2013, 08:00 AM

On the first point in your post you are incorrect according to Gene Taylor. Last night on the sports he was interviewed and he said it will be a counter. As to the second point you are making I don't disagree at all. I don't like the fact that they would be counters as in most cases for top tier FCS teams any DII even if it is a top tier DII team isn't going to present that much of a challenge. I don't like the precedent it sets. Now after having said all that I feel this is a double edged sword. We bitch about FBS teams (Big10) not wanting to play FCS teams so how is this any different? I can see both sides of the debate.

Bisonator
June 20th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Couldn't agree more!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
At the end of the day am I disappointed we couldn't get a better team than FSU? Yes. By November when we are likely 8-1 will anybody care that one of those wins was against a DII team? No.

BisonBacker
June 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
At the end of the day am I disappointed we couldn't get a better team than FSU? Yes. By November when we are likely 8-1 will anybody care that one of those wins was against a DII team? No.

I beg to differ. There will be plenty on this forum that will be decrying the fact that we played a DII I guarantee you that!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I beg to differ. There will be plenty on this forum that will be decrying the fact that we played a DII I guarantee you that!

Yeah, mostly the FBS crowd. I already got an invitation/threat on Bisonville in a neg rep so I'm not sure how to comment. xlolx

MplsBison
June 20th, 2013, 01:45 PM

You can go ahead and not attend any of the games. Don't want a non-fan of NDSU football, such as yourself, inside the building anyway.

But your student fee will indeed be used to continue supporting Bison athletics. kthx

MplsBison
June 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Look at it this way:

There was never any hard and fast rule in any rule book saying that the FCS playoff selection committee could only award at-large bids to schools that had 7 DI wins. But that was always a guideline. Therefore a 7-4 team that went 6-2 in a tough conference (say that was 2nd place) with two closes loses to an FBS and a top level FCS team and then a win vs. a DII team was never officially discarded, but was often not selected by the committee.

Now I think he's just saying that the committee is going to start selecting cases like that more often.

NDSU could well fall into that case this year (except the part about losing to Delaware St...that won't happen).

Hammerhead
June 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
From the 2010 FCS championship manual:

The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/smu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2010-11FootballHandbook.pdf

It has never been an official rule that D2 teams didn't count.

MplsBison
June 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Not sure if anyone linked this yet: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403617/group/Sports/

In a surprise move that blindsided almost everybody including NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor, the FCS Championships Committee last week approved a new ratings system to gauge the quality of a team’s schedule. It will take into account games with Football Bowl Subdivision, FCS and Division II opponents.

The expansion of the FCS playoff field from 20 to 24 teams was a reason cited for the change, Taylor said.

“There will be levels of strength of schedule,” Taylor said. “For instance, a Division II win will not count as much as an FBS win. Home wins and road wins are also counted differently.”

Taylor said the exact formula still needs to be finalized, so it has yet to be publicly released.

darell1976
June 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Not sure if anyone linked this yet: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403617/group/Sports/

So is it a point system with 3 Pts for FBS win 2 Pts for FCS win 1 pt for DII, then say 3 points for tough road win, 2 points for easy home win, etc. I can't wait to see how they formulate this.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
So is it a point system with 3 Pts for FBS win 2 Pts for FCS win 1 pt for DII, then say 3 points for tough road win, 2 points for easy home win, etc. I can't wait to see how they formulate this.

I think it will be slightly more granulated than that but I'd assume playing most Pioneer teams and even some other weak teams from lower ranked conferences will be a similar status of playing a good (say top 20) D2 team in most cases. I would think scholarship levels will have something to do with the figuring whether explicitly implied or not.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM
From the 2010 FCS championship manual:

The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/smu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2010-11FootballHandbook.pdf

The bolded word has always been cited when teams think they have a shot in with 6 wins but it never has come to pass where that number was not a pretty hard rule. That "may" has much more chance to actually mean what it says in the coming playoffs because it could be more necessary now.

WeAreNorthDakota
June 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM

Has it ever been an issue of actual playoff eligibility? Is there an actual rule that said you NEED to get to 7 D1 wins to even be considered or has that just been the way it's played out?

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Has it ever been an issue of actual playoff eligibility? Is there an actual rule that said you NEED to get to 7 D1 wins to even be considered or has that just been the way it's played out?

You can find the rule on one of the other threads but it reads not having 7 D1 wins MAY put a team in jeopardy of not being considered and so far as I know no team has ever made it with less than 7. That is likely to change soon though.

Wait, what I should have said is that it hasn't happened for an at large.

WeAreNorthDakota
June 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
You can find the rule on one of the other threads but it reads not having 7 D1 wins MAY put a team in jeopardy of not being considered and so far as I know no team has ever made it with less than 7. That is likely to change soon though.

Wait, what I should have said is that it hasn't happened for an at large.

So it's really more of a guideline than a rule? In that case I like that non-D1 games have been clarified as counting. With an expanded playoff field, the likelihood that it would become an issue goes way up. Kudos to the committee for getting ahead of this and coming up with a way to weigh those games against FCS and FBS games. Let's just hope the weighting system doesn't suck.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2013, 01:00 AM
So it's really more of a guideline than a rule? In that case I like that non-D1 games have been clarified as counting. With an expanded playoff field, the likelihood that it would become an issue goes way up. Kudos to the committee for getting ahead of this and coming up with a way to weigh those games against FCS and FBS games. Let's just hope the weighting system doesn't suck.

Well it won't be perfect and may not even be good but if we consider the former was weight was zero then any upward movement at all is probably a good thing. I think they will try hard to make it as equitable as possible.

dewey041
June 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Ferris State beat Grand Valley State 40-24 last year. Looking at their record last year they score a lot of points but give up a lot of points. They could do well against a lot of FCS teams(even win some) but NDSU is going to be a tall order. NDSU could beat many major colleges-most of the MAC and half the Big 10 for sure. Looked at Ferris State over the years and they have quite a few wins over non-scholarship FCS teams like Butler and Valparaiso. They have made the D2 playoffs 5 times reaching the final 4 in 95. This should prepare them well for their D2 slate not to mention make more $$ in this one game than they would in 5 regular season D 2 games. Hopefully they won't lose too many starters to injury. For NDSU their backups can get game experience plus rest some starters if they get banged up against KSU. Ferris' main sport is hockey- they are D1 in hockey and made it to the NCAA finals in 2012 losing to Boston College 4-1. I think most of their budget goes to hockey. They dropped baseball years back and football and basketball operate on a shoestring budget. Considering their finances they do quite well at their level in football and hoops.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Ferris State beat Grand Valley State 40-24 last year. Looking at their record last year they score a lot of points but give up a lot of points. They could do well against a lot of FCS teams(even win some) but NDSU is going to be a tall order. NDSU could beat many major colleges-most of the MAC and half the Big 10 for sure. Looked at Ferris State over the years and they have quite a few wins over non-scholarship FCS teams like Butler and Valparaiso. They have made the D2 playoffs 5 times reaching the final 4 in 95. This should prepare them well for their D2 slate not to mention make more $$ in this one game than they would in 5 regular season D 2 games. Hopefully they won't lose too many starters to injury. For NDSU their backups can get game experience plus rest some starters if they get banged up against KSU. Ferris' main sport is hockey- they are D1 in hockey and made it to the NCAA finals in 2012 losing to Boston College 4-1. I think most of their budget goes to hockey. They dropped baseball years back and football and basketball operate on a shoestring budget. Considering their finances they do quite well at their level in football and hoops.

Good first post. There are no more injuries when a team plays up than when they play their own level so it's just a matter of luck in any given game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Ferris State might score on the 2nd stringers.

Bison win 49-0

MplsBison
June 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I still think it's garbage the amount of money that has to be shelled out. $180k for a DII team. $250 (or whatever it was) for a low-tier FCS team (Delaware St.).

No_Skill
June 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I still think it's garbage the amount of money that has to be shelled out. $180k for a DII team. $250 (or whatever it was) for a low-tier FCS team (Delaware St.).

I have to agree. When I saw the amount paid to them, I was stunned.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM
That's the price you pay for being FCS and being good, you can't get games.

Look at New Mexico State's schedule this year. 12 games, 7 home games including Minnesota and Boston College and then two bigtime paydays at Texas and at UCLA.

Pretty clear who came out on top there...

JSUBison
June 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Now that DII games will count for something, the days of paying an OOC FCS team 250+ to come to Fargo will soon come to an end. I'm sure Gene is relieved he got past this Montana State cluster so late in the year, that is why Ferris got all that $$$. The future going rate for a DII to come to Fargo will be much less. Even if Gene doesn't have another DII on the schedule, it's a powerful bargaining chip during negotiations with other FCS schools.

Bisonator
June 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Now that DII games will count for something, the days of paying an OOC FCS team 250+ to come to Fargo will soon come to an end. I'm sure Gene is relieved he got past this Montana State cluster so late in the year, that is why Ferris got all that $$$. The future going rate for a DII to come to Fargo will be much less. Even if Gene doesn't have another DII on the schedule, it's a powerful bargaining chip during negotiations with other FCS schools.

I hope that's the way this plays out.

MplsBison
June 27th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be so sure.

Is 180k really that much better than 250k? Not only that, but why wouldn't every DII that NDSU contacts in the future start demanding 200-300k? They know NDSU will pay it in order to get get two non-conference home games. Because they know every game at the Fargodome generates probably 500k or more revenue for the NDSU athletic department when it's all said and done.

I think it's disgusting that a school could get away with demanding more than half of the revenue that the home athletic department would normally receive from a home game.

This crap needs to start being regulated by the NCAA and caps need to start being enforced. 100k to a DII is more than reasonable.

Bison06
June 27th, 2013, 03:48 PM

Is 180k really that much better than 250k? Not only that, but why wouldn't every DII that NDSU contacts in the future start demanding 200-300k? They know NDSU will pay it in order to get get two non-conference home games. Because they know every game at the Fargodome generates probably 500k or more revenue for the NDSU athletic department when it's all said and done.

I think it's disgusting that a school could get away with demanding more than half of the revenue that the home athletic department would normally receive from a home game.

This crap needs to start being regulated by the NCAA and caps need to start being enforced. 100k to a DII is more than reasonable.

Not sure how to respond to the question is 180k really that much better than 250k.

Yeah it is, by about 30% and 70k.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM

No regulation by the NCAA is needed.

The price in the future will not be this high. If D2s are counters now for FCS teams, there are plenty out there that will come in for 100K. Heck, every NSIC team could be bussed to Fargo.

Too bad the Fargodome wasn't the original 27K seats it was suppose to be. There is no reason why NDSU couldn't have 20K season ticket holders like Montana, if the FD was it's original seating capacity. We just now need Sanford - Microsoft - RDO to come in and build a 40K seat stadium for the school.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Apparently someone doesn't understand anything about the economics of being in a spot and under the gun vs. a normal scheduling year. Not too surprising though. xlolx

The NCAA needs to step in regulate this! xlolx

Overreacting again.

Bison06
June 27th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Apparently someone doesn't understand anything about the economics of being in a spot and under the gun vs. a normal scheduling year. Not too surprising though. xlolx

Overreacting again.

I think we could all figure out which way MplsBison votes, by looking at how he responded to this question.

More regulation is always the answer, right? All the laws of economics are out the door in the eyes of these people.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM
This is a stupid turn to the conversation. I would say that I am likely one of the most liberal people on this board and I recognize the power of the free market in this instance. I do, however, also realize that the NCAA is a private body who already HEAVILY regulates its membership and would also be well within its rights to do more.

Scholarship caps, recruiting restrictions, bans on compensation, etc. All examples of regulation.....OOGA BOOGA!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM
This is a stupid turn to the conversation. I would say that I am likely one of the most liberal people on this board and I recognize the power of the free market in this instance. I do, however, also realize that the NCAA is a private body who already HEAVILY regulates its membership and would also be well within its rights to do more.

Scholarship caps, recruiting restrictions, bans on compensation, etc. All examples of regulation.....OOGA BOOGA!
Of course. Some people just want to make noise and don't have a well thought out point or a problem. If the NCAA were to set a cap on what a team could pay for a game how could that possibly help anybody though?

It would only hurt a team like NDSU in the long run because those FBS games are sure to have a cap as well.

Don't make the mistake of thinking others are lumping your liberal ass in with the likes of MPLS. It doen't have anything to do with the whole philosophy it has to do with just him and his incessant whining and manufactured emotion.

Teams will pay and will get paid what they are in a position to bargain for. End of story.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Of course. Some people just want to make noise and don't have a well thought out point or a problem. If the NCAA were to set a cap on what a team could pay for a game how could that possibly help anybody though?

It would only hurt a team like NDSU in the long run because those FBS games are sure to have a cap as well.

Don't make the mistake of thinking others are lumping your liberal ass in with the likes of MPLS. It doen't have anything to do with the whole philosophy it has to do with just him and his incessant whining and manufactured emotion.

Teams will pay and will get paid what they are in a position to bargain for. End of story.

We all know the NCAA already does plenty that does little to help and probably causes harm instead. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Not sure how to respond to the question is 180k really that much better than 250k.

Yeah it is, by about 30% and 70k.

Yep good point. Getting stabbed by a 7 inch blade is 30% better than getting stabbed by a 10 inch blade.

Hambone
June 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Yep good point. Getting stabbed by a 7 inch blade is 30% better than getting stabbed by a 10 inch blade.

That's what she said.....except replace blade with.....well, you get the idea :)

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
No regulation by the NCAA is needed.

The price in the future will not be this high. If D2s are counters now for FCS teams, there are plenty out there that will come in for 100K. Heck, every NSIC team could be bussed to Fargo.

Too bad the Fargodome wasn't the original 27K seats it was suppose to be. There is no reason why NDSU couldn't have 20K season ticket holders like Montana, if the FD was it's original seating capacity. We just now need Sanford - Microsoft - RDO to come in and build a 40K seat stadium for the school.

Something like what Akron built a few years ago would go very nicely in the parking lot north of the freshman dorms.

Northern Sun teams don't play non-conference games. There are enough teams in the conference that they just play conference games. Otherwise, yes that would be the perfect solution (though it's scary to think of Moorhead coming back to the Fargodome....). Winona, Duluth, Mankato, St. Cloud on the other hand, absolutely.

I surely hope that DII's can start being brought in for 100k. But my (pessimistic) thought on this matter is that so long as NDSU is in the FCS, we're going to be paying between 400k - 500k every year to bring in teams for home games 5 and 6.

That's a sad, screwed up reality.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Overreacting again.

Uh oh! Here comes the "don't tread on me", "I don't take kindly to authority", anti-government police.

You joined the NCAA voluntarily. It's a private club. You will do exactly as they say, you will bend over and take it up the rear if they say so.

Or else get out.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 28th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Can we dispense with all the drama? NDSU got a home game in which they will make more than they paid, got their schedule filled and got a team that will somehow be a counter.

Nobody got stabbed, screwed, or even hurt in any way.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Can we dispense with all the drama? NDSU got a home game in which they will make more than they paid, got their schedule filled and got a team that will somehow be a counter.

Nobody got stabbed, screwed, or even hurt in any way.

NDSU paid more money than they should've had to, for both home games.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
100k cap for FCS to DII.

150k cap for FCS to FCS.

That's reasonable.

This is minor league, ESPN3 football we're talking about here. 200k? 300k? Absurd.

CrazyCat
June 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
100k cap for FCS to DII.

150k cap for FCS to FCS.

That's reasonable.

This is minor league, ESPN3 football we're talking about here. 200k? 300k? Absurd.

So, in your world, there would be a 200k cap for FBS to FCS.

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 11:29 AM
So, in your world, there would be a 200k cap for FBS to FCS.

Nope.

Bisonator
June 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
100k cap for FCS to DII.

150k cap for FCS to FCS.

That's reasonable.

Not going to happen and it shouldn't. We were in a bind for an 11th game. Ferris got the going rate with 2 months before the season. Future games will be cheaper unless this situation happens again. I expect more H/H with FCS teams actually. Maybe Gene should send the bill to MSU. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
June 28th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Uh oh! Here comes the "don't tread on me", "I don't take kindly to authority", anti-government police.

You joined the NCAA voluntarily. It's a private club. You will do exactly as they say, you will bend over and take it up the rear if they say so.

Or else get out.

http://compsci6asbs.wikispaces.com/file/view/annoying-orange.jpg/173968453/annoying-orange.jpg

MplsBison
June 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Not going to happen and it shouldn't. We were in a bind for an 11th game. Ferris got the going rate with 2 months before the season. Future games will be cheaper unless this situation happens again. I expect more H/H with FCS teams actually. Maybe Gene should send the bill to MSU. :D

Absolutely it should. A rule would prevent it from happening again. This is "cost containment" football, remember? No need for teams to be gouged by the all powerful "free market" (ie, the corrupt market).

You can choose to believe that NDSU won't be paying $400k per year for home games 5 and 6 going forward. I guess I'm too much of a realist for that kind of namby pamby sentiment.

I'd love nothing more than to throw Mankato, Winona, St. Cloud and Duluth $100k each on a rotating basis to come to Fargo. Just isn't going to happen.

As for home and home games with our FCS "brethren", I hope we don't sign a single contract ever again. They can't be trusted not to back out or be bought out, leaving us in the exact situation again.

No. You go for one time games, either bringing in teams to Fargo or going to big time stadiums for a pay check and you play the rest as conference games. I'd be fine with 10 conference games as well. Makes it that much easier, bring in one DII for the 6th home game and visit a Big XII or MWC team every year.

Minimal participation in this non-promoted sub-division. Sound just fine to me. Keep it in the MVFC, where the best football is being played anyway.

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM

:D

catbob
September 5th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Funny how NDSU fans think this game is garbage and want to sell their tickets, when I guarantee plenty of K-State fans felt that way about NDSU.

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Funny how NDSU fans think this game is garbage and want to sell their tickets, when I guarantee plenty of K-State fans felt that way about NDSU.

And if those fans want to sell them...there is a very long line of people waiting to buy. The dome will be full. I give Ferris State all the credit in the world. At least their program has the balls to make the trip to Fargo, and this game isn't garbage to me. I would put them ahead of just about anyone from the Pioneer and a good chunk of the SWAC for starters.

NDSUstudent
September 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM

And K-State had every right to feel that way, if I was a K-State fan why would I want to play an FCS team? You don't gain anything; however, if you are saying the talent gap between NDSU and K-State is the same as Ferris State and NDSU I think you are mistaken but that is just me.

Professor Chaos
September 5th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I'll give Ferris St one thing... they have bigger balls than Montana St.

And show me all the tickets for sale? There's about 10 on craigslist and 2 on stubhub and most are grossly overpriced.

Vitojr130
September 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM
And if those fans want to sell them...there is a very long line of people waiting to buy. The dome will be full. I give Ferris State all the credit in the world. At least their program has the balls to make the trip to Fargo, and this game isn't garbage to me. I would put them ahead of just about anyone from the Pioneer and a good chunk of the SWAC for starters.

Unfortunately I didn't have internet access over the weekend (going to the lakes and all) and I missed out on the Monday morning rush. I put it for student tickets Tuesday morning and I am number 820 on the student waitlist.

aces1180
September 5th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Who wants to sell their tickets? I sure haven't seen anyone interested in doing so. This week's opponent is going to be overshadowed by tailgating, raising another banner and celebrating a win over last year's Big 12 champs. I've heard more people asking for tickets than those looking to sell.

344Johnson
September 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Who wants to sell their tickets? I sure haven't seen anyone interested in doing so. This week's opponent is going to be overshadowed by tailgating, raising another banner and celebrating a win over last year's Big 12 champs. I've heard more people asking for tickets than those looking to sell.

Dome will be empty after halftime however...

BisonBohl

Another funny thing to note, Montana State ran away from this game with their tails tucked. One thing all Bison fans agree on is Ferris State has more guts then the bobkitties. Have fun at SMU.

NDSUstudent

I already sold my tickets but that was because I have drill this weekend.

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Dome will be empty after halftime however...

Ferris St could be a competitive team, they could give NDSU a game like the Bison gave Montana, or UND gave UNI.

Just sayin'

MSUBobcat
September 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM

And show me all the tickets for sale? There's about 10 on craigslist and 2 on stubhub and most are grossly overpriced.

Any proof that Ferris St is doing this because of the size of their balls and not strictly for financial gain? Taking a beating for a check, like most teams playing up do, doesn't really indicate big balls to me, IMO. Or that MSU's buyout had more to do with being afraid of NDSU than wanting their own financial gain? I don't like how it turned out, but it's not like MSU traded a probable loss to NDSU for a likely win over a DII team. SMU will likely beat MSU on Saturday, but hey, we're playing up similar to Ferris, so I guess the Cats have big balls according to your philosophy.

And now, commence your bashing of my opinion.

Bisonator
September 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Ferris State>Montana State that is all. :D

JSUBison
September 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Ferris State's AD is weird. Not sure if the post was schtick, but I read on bisonville that the Ferris AD won't let their fans come to tailgating, even though NDSU fans would have picked them up. Very odd.

aces1180
September 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I already sold my tickets but that was because I have drill this weekend.

And I bet the person who took your's tickets is thrilled to go.

dgtw
September 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Week 1 NDSU beats K State...I would say we are still #1. :D

Good call.

Professor Chaos
September 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Any proof that Ferris St is doing this because of the size of their balls and not strictly for financial gain? Taking a beating for a check, like most teams playing up do, doesn't really indicate big balls to me, IMO. Or that MSU's buyout had more to do with being afraid of NDSU than wanting their own financial gain? I don't like how it turned out, but it's not like MSU traded a probable loss to NDSU for a likely win over a DII team. SMU will likely beat MSU on Saturday, but hey, we're playing up similar to Ferris, so I guess the Cats have big balls according to your philosophy.

Montana St isn't just playing SMU instead of NDSU. They paid too much money to get the home game with Monmouth thus they realized in February they had to find somewhere to make that up. Enter SMU. So you're whoring yourself to take a beating for a check and getting a cupcake at home at the same time. The best of both worlds for MSU at the expense of NDSU.

I understand that will happen from time to time so I'm not saying doing it was chicken ****, I'm saying doing it in February was chicken ****.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM

This comment coming from a fan of a team that shopped itself around to every FBS team as being open on its date with NDSU, hoping that one of them would buy out the contract and therefore cancel an away trip loss for the Bobcats.

MSUBobcat
September 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Montana St isn't just playing SMU instead of NDSU. They paid too much money to get the home game with Monmouth thus they realized in February they had to find somewhere to make that up. Enter SMU. So you're whoring yourself to take a beating for a check and getting a cupcake at home at the same time. The best of both worlds for MSU at the expense of NDSU.

I understand that will happen from time to time so I'm not saying doing it was chicken ****, I'm saying doing it in February was chicken ****.

I, and most other Bobcat fans, agree 100% that buying out the contract, especially that late, was bad business. IMO, the damage to the reputation was not worth the small financial gain. But I fail to see the difference in what Ferris is doing compared to MSU - both taking paydays for what is expected to be a loss, yet somehow Ferris taking a check from NDSU gives them "bigger balls" than MSU taking a check from SMU. Hypothetically speaking, say there was no contract and both SMU and NDSU offered to host MSU on Sept 7th, and MSU takes the SMU game because financially it makes more sense. Would you still say Ferris has bigger balls for taking the date or is it just your anger at being bought out so late? I understand Bison fans feeling on getting screwed in the 11th hour, but, though I hate the decision, there were other factors involved other than being afraid to play the Bison. Losing to SMU, unless they turn out better than expected, will still affect the playoff positioning, especially given the success the other FCS teams have had, and beating Colorado Mesa won't repair that. So we end up in roughly the same playoff spot with an SMU loss and Mesa win as we would have with a loss to NDSU, but MSU is financially ahead. That said, I hate the move and the damage done. Apparently Fields and others were able to put a price on MSU's reputation. I wouldn't have been able to.

MSUBobcat
September 5th, 2013, 01:32 PM
This comment coming from a fan of a team that shopped itself around to every FBS team as being open on its date with NDSU, hoping that one of them would buy out the contract and therefore cancel an away trip loss for the Bobcats.

We will know in a couple days if we did, in fact, cancel an away trip loss. I think MSU probably loses this game, so your comment would then be wrong.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
We will know in a couple days if we did, in fact, cancel an away trip loss. I think MSU probably loses this game, so your comment would then be wrong.

An away loss to an FBS team is nowhere near as damaging to an away loss to an FCS team, especially another top team in the region (a team MSU will be fighting with for seeds).

CrazyCat
September 5th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Wow. If you knew this information then I'm sure your AD did.

Hammerhead
September 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM
As others have noted, Ferris State probably won't be worse than some recent FCS teams. I'm not saying Ferris has much of a chance, but this is a little different than NDSU playing K-State. It's a slightly above average team from a lower division playing the champion from a higher division -- kind of like if Youngstown played a top-tier FBS school like Alabama or Oregon.

BisonFan02
September 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Am I out of line in saying that NDSU would potentially give SMU more than they can handle as well? Food for thought.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Am I out of line in saying that NDSU would potentially give SMU more than they can handle as well? Food for thought.

NDSU would give them a loss. If that's all they can handle, then yes.

Bisonator
September 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM

We'd stomp SMU.

BisonBacker
September 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Well I guess it really doesn't matter to you now does it? Either way SMU or NDSU you guys were/are going to get a beating.

Green1
September 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM

Not true. Largest opening day crowd in K state history. It was also the second largest crowd in school history. Facts run counter to your assertion.

Tickets to the Fargodome are sold out. I guess the NDSU fans DO NOT think this game is garbage. Food for thought.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Not true. Largest opening day crowd in K state history. It was also the second largest crowd in school history. Facts run counter to your assertion.

Tickets to the Fargodome are sold out. I guess the NDSU fans DO NOT think this game is garbage. Food for thought.

Forgive him for not knowing what a championship banner is and why it would be awesome to see it raised.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM

I do not know of anyone that is or wants to sell their tickets....xsmhx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Ferris St could be a competitive team, they could give NDSU a game like the Bison gave Montana, or UND gave UNI.

Just sayin'

The key word in there is "could". The Bison O-Line is going to dominate the FSU D-line. This game will not be close unless Bohl calls off the beating.

Gil go look up North Alabama and Youngstown State in 1994. N Alabama was the reigning D2 champ and they went to play the reigning 1AA champ Youngstown. Youngstown barely beat them 17-14. UNA was a machine at that time in D2. Ferris is no where near the caliber of North Alabama.

The gap between FSU and the Bison is greater than the Bison compared to K-State.

Ferris might score on the 2nds...might.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2013, 06:00 PM
How did NDSU end up with only 11 games in a 12 game year to begin with?

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl said they only wanted 11 to begin with as the boys have played 15 games a season for 2 years. They have almost a full season extra on everybody

Bisonator
September 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Western Carolina wanted to move the game back a couple years and MSU bought out their game. We were looking for a 12th game last fall then those 2 bailed and we had to scramble to get 11 again. We really didn't want a 12th game anyway considering we've played 30 the last 2 years the way it is.

Southern Bison
September 5th, 2013, 06:22 PM
This comment coming from a fan of a team that whored itself around to every FBS team as being open on its date with NDSU, hoping that one of them would buy out the contract and therefore cancel an away trip loss for the Bobcats.

FIFY

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Wow. If you knew this information then I'm sure your AD did.

Meaning? He found out the same time we all found out, when MSU announced they were blindsiding NDSU very late in the scheduling game - no doubt on purpose, so as to give whatever advantage possible to Big Sky teams in getting the west region seeds. They thought like most people thought: that the K-St game would be a loss and the DII team that NDSU would invariably have to schedule would be a non-counter.

Swing and a miss on both counts.

I'd love nothing more for it to backfire, sending three Big Sky teams in a row to Fargo for a bloody, just demise.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl said they only wanted 11 to begin with as the boys have played 15 games a season for 2 years. They have almost a full season extra on everybody

Heck, I was ready to accept 10 games this season for that very reason.

But in the end, scheduling a DII was absolutely the right decision. Gives fans a deserved sixth opportunity to tailgate and see the team at home and will give invaluable playing time to backups and younger players.

robsnotes4u
September 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Meaning? He found out the same time we all found out, when MSU announced they were blindsiding NDSU very late in the scheduling game - no doubt on purpose, so as to give whatever advantage possible to Big Sky teams in getting the west region seeds. They thought like most people thought: that the K-St game would be a loss and the DII team that NDSU would invariably have to schedule would be a non-counter.

Swing and a miss on both counts.

I'd love nothing more for it to backfire, sending three Big Sky teams in a row to Fargo for a bloody, just demise.

Wow, so who was the shooter on the Grassy Knoll? Conspiracy Theory? Please tell us you are being sarcastic.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I should hope so because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

On a serious note, my dream first three rounds of the playoffs (after the bye, of course) would be these three teams coming to Fargo:

UND
Montana St
EWU

One by one, swiftly cut down. Then it's off to Frisco.

Well...maybe for the EWU game the Eagles can drive down to the end zone at the end of regulation, have their QB run it in for a game tying touchdown but then have the refs blow the call and give the win to NDSU. That would be more just.

robsnotes4u
September 5th, 2013, 08:15 PM

On a serious note, my dream first three rounds of the playoffs (after the bye, of course) would be these three teams coming to Fargo:

UND
Montana St
EWU

Well...maybe for the EWU game the Eagles can drive down to the end zone at the end of regulation, have their QB run it in for a game tying touchdown but then have the refs blow the call and give the win to NDSU. That would be more just.

Crap I was hoping you would come back with.

Jessup: I'll answer the question. You want answers?Kaffee: I think I'm entitled!Jessup: You want answers?!Kaffee: I want the truth!Jessup: You can't handle the truth!

Southern Bison
September 5th, 2013, 09:53 PM
And for the umpteenth time...pull out the tape measures!

NDSU:
http://images.yourdictionary.com/images/definitions/lg/tape-measure.jpg

And now UND, get your measuring stick out:
http://stores.brassbouquet.com/catalog/one%20inch.jpg

Are we done now?

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM

UND
Montana St
EWU

A good chance either EWU or MSU will be a 2 and/or 3 seed. If NDSU is a 1 seed, they will not play until Frisco.

Refs are part of the game, some people are upset that Bison fans and administration are being petty with UND about not scheduling NDSU 10 years ago, and then turn around and are still bitter about a game 4 years ago. NDSU should not have let EWU have the long drive for the score prior to the goal line play. Time to let it go and respect EWU as a good program, on par with NDSU.

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
What, NDSU bitter about things that happened in the past? Weird.

Green1
September 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM

About as weird as catbob spouting anti-NDSU nonsense...

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM
A good chance either EWU or MSU will be a 2 and/or 3 seed. If NDSU is a 1 seed, they will not play until Frisco.

Refs are part of the game, some people are upset that Bison fans and administration are being petty with UND about not scheduling NDSU 10 years ago, and then turn around and are still bitter about a game 4 years ago. NDSU should not have let EWU have the long drive for the score prior to the goal line play. Time to let it go and respect EWU as a good program, on par with NDSU.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Refs blew the call, plain and simple. NDSU could well have won the NC that year too. Four in a row. Not even the 1983-1986 teams would've accomplished that.

Anyway - and yes it's very possible that EW or MSU could get a seed. But on the other hand, it's also very possible that the top half of the Big Sky could beat each other up and leave every team with 2 to 3 losses. That's my hope, anyway.

So here's a scenario:

UND wins the play-in game in Grand Forks vs. whoever.
They come to Fargo for the 2nd round (first game for NDSU) - crushed.
Montana St beats their 2nd round opponent and comes to Fargo for the 3rd round - walloped.
EW wins their 2nd and 3rd round games and come to Fargo for the semi-finals, because EW has the 4th seed or lower (or unseeded). - annihilated.

Nothing would make me happier.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM

You mean like the 2006 game...you know where NDSU actually did the honorable thing and traveled out to Bozeman in the regular season? It was a hard fought loss, MSU won that day.

But the true colors of the MSU fanbase showed. I've heard from multiple people stories of drunk MSU students trying to start fights with NDSU players and NDSU tailgating rigs being vandalized.

No matter. The 2010 playoffs NDSU went back to Bozeman and embarrassed them.

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM
About as weird as catbob spouting anti-NDSU nonsense...

I haven't said a single negative thing about NDSU's team, they are a great team and my favorite to win again this year.

Just tired of their fans whining about the buyout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Keep in mind the difference here as well:

I'm complaining about the behavior of NDSU fans on various message boards, because of the the behavior of those fans.

NDSU fans are complaining about the actions of MSU's athletic department, to the fans of MSU.

I don't think less of NDSU's program because of their fans (and I know it's not all of them), but NDSU fans seem to love taking shots whenever they can at us for something we had absolutely nothing to do with.

MTBison
September 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM

I'm complaining about the behavior of NDSU fans on various message boards, because of the the behavior of those fans.

NDSU fans are complaining about the actions of MSU's athletic department, to the fans of MSU.

I don't think less of NDSU's program because of their fans (and I know it's not all of them), but NDSU fans seem to love taking shots whenever they can at us for something we had absolutely nothing to do with.

OK! Be honest catbob, you are MSU's athletic department.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Rest assured I'm not taking any shots at MSU fans. I'm sure most are pleasant enough.

Green1
September 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I haven't said a single negative thing about NDSU's team, they are a great team and my favorite to win again this year.

Taking issue with a few NDSU posters here on AGS and then attributing their views as the same as the entire NDSU fan base is simply mud slinging. It's unfair and designed to create a belief that NDSU fans are somehow "off" in their support of their football team here on A.G.S.

If u can't take some grief over the crappy way your A.D. handled the scheduling situation, then I suggest u stay out of threads involving NDSU. It was a big disappointment to the NDSU not to meet Mont. State at home and will be remembered. If the situation was reversed, I would expect the same treatment from your fans. Rant over...

Bisonator
September 6th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Taking issue with a few NDSU posters here on AGS and then attributing their views as the same as the entire NDSU fan base is simply mud slinging. It's unfair and designed to create a belief that NDSU fans are somehow "off" in their support of their football team here on A.G.S.

If u can't take some grief over the crappy way your A.D. handled the scheduling situation, then I suggest u stay out of threads involving NDSU. It was a big disappointment to the NDSU not to meet Mont. State at home and will be remembered. If the situation was reversed, I would expect the same treatment from your fans. Rant over...

Exactly! xnodx

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM

NDSU fan(s) have gone onto our opponent's message board to rant about it. I have avoided AGS for the last few months because every thread about MSU got derailed by NDSU fans, I gave up and just stayed on BN instead.

Some grief is a huge understatement here. If I poked my head in an NDSU forum, or thread, and got some grief sure. Having NDSU fans derail MSU threads, come onto our board and rant, and even our future opponent boards to rant - that is going too far.

I love the NDSU fan passion. And backing out of the game was a huge disappointment for our fanbase as well. I really wanted NDSU in the conference when we had the chance years ago.

Bisonator
September 6th, 2013, 12:08 PM

So why are you reading and commenting on obvious NDSU threads? And who do you think would have more pull with your AD, NDSU fans or MSU fans? So pass it on! xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
September 6th, 2013, 12:11 PM

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/c/c2/1000x500px-LL-c28b345c_gleason_not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM
What exactly did I say about the TEAM? Fans, yes, I have issues with sometimes. Sorry I didn't clarify the bitter part, I meant fans there as well. But the garbage line was a quote from an NDSU poster earlier in the thread. His words not mine.

And I don't think it's an insult to say an FBS team thinks poorly of an FCS team. That's the way of the world.

Green1
September 6th, 2013, 12:29 PM
NDSU fan(s) have gone onto our opponent's message board to rant about it. I have avoided AGS for the last few months because every thread about MSU got derailed by NDSU fans, I gave up and just stayed on BN instead.

Some grief is a huge understatement here. If I poked my head in an NDSU forum, or thread, and got some grief sure. Having NDSU fans derail MSU threads, come onto our board and rant, and even our future opponent boards to rant - that is going too far.

I love the NDSU fan passion. And backing out of the game was a huge disappointment for our fanbase as well. I really wanted NDSU in the conference when we had the chance years ago.

Yet, here you are on A.G.S., on an obvious NDSU topic, stirring up the M.S.U. Scheduling topic again. Doing exactly what (you claim) the terrible NDSU posters are doing. Your words and your actions don't match. There is a word for that... it escapes me at the moment...

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Well if you look at the order of events that lead to this "discussion", you will see I commented on the scheduling complaints by NDSU posters just pointing out that K-State fans probably felt the same way about NDSU. I should've known better though, that opened the flood gates for MSU bashing:

Another funny thing to note, Montana State ran away from this game with their tails tucked. One thing all Bison fans agree on is Ferris State has more guts then the bobkitties. Have fun at SMU.

Forgive him for not knowing what a championship banner is and why it would be awesome to see it raised.

...when MSU announced they were blindsiding NDSU very late in the scheduling game - no doubt on purpose, so as to give whatever advantage possible to Big Sky teams in getting the west region seeds. They thought like most people thought: that the K-St game would be a loss and the DII team that NDSU would invariably have to schedule would be a non-counter.

All of this before I posted anything else.

Then a NDSU poster said:

For which I made my bitter comment, as clearly this guy still is. As are many NDSU fans, as evidence by the reaction I got for my initial comment about K-State treat NDSU as NDSU is treating Ferris. xlolx

JSUBison
September 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
You mean like the 2006 game...you know where NDSU actually did the honorable thing and traveled out to Bozeman in the regular season? It was a hard fought loss, MSU won that day.

But the true colors of the MSU fanbase showed. I've heard from multiple people stories of drunk MSU students trying to start fights with NDSU players and NDSU tailgating rigs being vandalized.

No matter. The 2010 playoffs NDSU went back to Bozeman and embarrassed them.

Alpha's car got effed up last week by some cat fans. He has, or I should say "had" a nice car that some jackhole scratched FTG into the hood.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Well if you look at the order of events that lead to this "discussion", you will see I commented on the scheduling complaints by NDSU posters just pointing out that K-State fans probably felt the same way about NDSU. I should've known better though, that opened the flood gates for MSU bashing:

All of this before I posted anything else.

Then a NDSU poster said:

For which I made my bitter comment, as clearly this guy still is. As are many NDSU fans, as evidence by the reaction I got for my initial comment about K-State treat NDSU as NDSU is treating Ferris. xlolx

I'm well beyond bitter, at this point. More like an old fashioned with a nicely aged bourbon.

catbob
September 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'm well beyond bitter, at this point. More like an old fashioned with a nicely aged bourbon.

That's the best thing you've ever said. I love an old fashioned. Too many places screw em up though.