PDA

View Full Version : This is an issue with many fanbases.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
SHSU, NDSU, UND and SDSU included. It's sad how fans leave just like this last night.

I still remember the game when my Dad and I went to the SHSU game in our wedding tuxes between the wedding and the reception. He wanted to leave with 47 seconds left. I told him no and he kept telling me let's go. Needless to say, I won and the Bison also won. I've never seen him leave a game early since. :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22469517/nba-finals-heat-fans-hit-the-exits-early-and-miss-an-all-time-classic

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I almost left the UND-USD game in 2011 when UND trailed 37-17 entering the 4th quarter but I was so glad we stayed to see UND comeback to 37-31 then throw the game winning TD at the end to capture the conference title. You just have to remember its not over until the clock strikes zero.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Sidenote: I don't know why this is in FCS Smack...

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Sidenote: I don't know why this is in FCS Smack...

You posted it in here slick. xlolx

I checked the mod log and it's your doing not someone moving it. You want it moved I assume so I'll move it.

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
This is the worst part of live sports.. or one of them. I detest people who leave early. We ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay till the clock hits 0:00 that final time. NDSU could be losing 0-100 and we wouldn't leave.

Baseball gets a minor exception for me, though we don't leave early, I mind it less when others do because baseball is boring as ****.

Milkman
June 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM
This is the worst part of live sports.. or one of them. I detest people who leave early. We ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay till the clock hits 0:00 that final time. NDSU could be losing 0-100 and we wouldn't leave.

Baseball gets a minor exception for me, though we don't leave early, I mind it less when others do because baseball is boring as ****.
In my opinion baseball fans get even less of a pass due no lead ever being out of reach until the final out. Granted I enjoy baseball games. But I do agree with all the other points and feel like a jack ass if I have to leave early due to outside forces. I had a work conflict with the NDSU vs Lehigh playoff game and only got to see 3 quarters before leaving for work (and that was after switching shifts and a couple bribes so I could work as late as possible)

Twentysix
June 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
In my opinion baseball fans get even less of a pass due no lead ever being out of reach until the final out. Granted I enjoy baseball games. But I do agree with all the other points and feel like a jack ass if I have to leave early due to outside forces. I had a work conflict with the NDSU vs Lehigh playoff game and only got to see 3 quarters before leaving for work (and that was after switching shifts and a couple bribes so I could work as late as possible)

We go to 1-2 MLB games a year and 2-5 Redhawks games a year. We aren't really baseball fans :p.

The Sox Cubs game at Wrigley was my baseball fill for the year. I must say, stuff at Wrigley is priced way better than it is at target field.

I think my main problem with baseball is really 2 factors, they play twelve million games a year so none of them really matter individually, and barring one twins game I went to where the twins scored like 25 runs... its really really slow.

813Jag
June 19th, 2013, 06:27 PM
We've left one game early in my life. In 1981 Southern was leading MVSU in the final minute. My mom packed up everything and we head out. As we were leaving Valley scores the winning TD. From that point on, we never left until the clock read 0:00 no matter the margin or weather.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
The two games I went to last year, UNI and SHSU, both emptied out on the opposing side super early.

Haven't been to too many Bison losses recently (I'll bet the last SDSU game at Coughlin Alumni was the last one) but I have sat my ass in the seat until the horn almost every time.

the day I asked my wife to marry me we left the Bison game early to go pick up her ring that was being sized.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 06:34 PM
The two games I went to last year, UNI and SHSU, both emptied out on the opposing side super early.

Haven't been to too many Bison losses recently (I'll bet the last SDSU game at Coughlin Alumni was the last one) but I have sat my ass in the seat until the horn almost every time.

the day I asked my wife to marry me we left the Bison game early to go pick up her ring that was being sized.

You pussy.

Mountaineer
June 19th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I've never left any sporting event until the clock read 0:00. Though I was tempted last year during the El Cid game and playoffs against Maine and Villanova. :o

It's one of the things that boggles my mind about how fast KBS empties on occasion - even during close games.

This is why you never leave. xlolx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcQ4irFl_s

chattownmocs
June 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
If ole Apphole would have only left before App's epic comeback in Chatty in '10 he could have avoided the beating he received at the hands of a frat boy.

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I've never left any sporting event until the clock read 0:00. Though I was tempted last year during the El Cid game and playoffs against Maine and Villanova. :o

It's one of the things that boggles my mind about how fast KBS empties on occasion - even during close games.

Touchdown Citadel!

Sent from the center of the universe.

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks!!! Had never seen that one.

HailSzczur
June 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM
We'll get up from our seats and starting walking to the exit (not a ton of people to disturb) with 2 or 3 min to go and watch the clock run out by the bathrooms.

Won't do it at basketball games either, always wait for the players to come over to the student section during the fight song and the alma mater

dgtw
June 19th, 2013, 08:51 PM
My wife asked me if I wanted to leave Oxford, Mississippi early one day when Ole Miss had a big lead over Jax State early in the second half.

I think she was glad I said I wanted to stay.

HailSzczur
June 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM
My father missed most of Christmas choir concert back in 2009. Some how my mother talked him out of Chattanooga. I had a solo in the 3rd song of the concert, he got up and left mid song the second my solo was over so he could be home for kick off.

We just found out that my uncle is getting remarried Columbus day weekend. Immediately my father asks me where we're playing that weekend.

Lehigh'98
June 19th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Does it make you a better person/fan to stay the whole game even if its not that close??? Who gives a damn

Bisonwinagn
June 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Does it make you a better person/fan to stay the whole game even if its not that close??? Who gives a damn

No and I could care less when people leave....if they want to leave at halftime or the end of the third quarter it's their choice. I have season tickets to both football and baseball and hardly ever stay for the whole game. Plus if the game is close late or goes into overtime I can get home to watch it on TV where I can watch replays.

HailSzczur
June 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
No and I could care less when people leave....if they want to leave at halftime or the end of the third quarter it's their choice. I have season tickets to both football and baseball and hardly ever stay for the whole game. Plus if the game is close late or goes into overtime I can get home to watch it on TV where I can watch replays.

Big discussion along that lines on the radio when they were talking about the US Open. The way TV coverage is (at least for pro sports and college basketball) its often a lot better than watching the game live. It's awesome to get to a game live, but its often better as fan at home. Especially baseball I think is much better viewed at home, but some things like say CAA football don't have as good of camera angles.

What I can't quite understand is shelling out good money for a ticket, parking, beer, etc. to show up late and leave early. Personally I take more offense at the late arrivers that block my view as they come in.

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I very rarely leave early as Iam not in a big hurry to leave. But I dont care if people leave early. If they do leave---get your azzes moving so I can watch the game.

344Johnson
June 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM
If ole Apphole would have only left before App's epic comeback in Chatty in '10 he could have avoided the beating he received at the hands of a frat boy.

And if Chatty didn't have to play the 4th quarter they'd make the playoffs from time to time.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 19th, 2013, 11:48 PM
You pussy.

It was a 49-19 game against Carson Newman. Hardly a barn burner

DJKyR0
June 20th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Miami has to have one of the worst fanbases in the NBA.

Nickels
June 20th, 2013, 03:29 AM
You think I wanted to watch some classless canadians gloating? No thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

eaglewraith
June 20th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I didn't actually make it to this game but I was listening to the radio. In the third quarter I almost turned it off and literally listened to it on the way to the liquor store to get some bourbon cause I was so upset. On the way to a friend's house I heard us score our first TD. He had already given up on it but I made him turn it back on and we listened to the whole thing. Apparently pretty much all of our fans bailed out too and missed a hell of a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqGpzg8Cdg

seantaylor
June 20th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Says just how bad of a coach Hatcher was. Getting ripped by WCU for 3 quarters is a death knell

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Miami has to have one of the worst fanbases in SPORTS.
fixed

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I remember another game from my early years, I think it was 1985 we were playing Delaware State (during the John Taylor days), they were leading something like 42-0 at the half. I was 8 and I looked at my dad hoping he'd give the go ahead to leave. The look he gave me xlolx

I also remember an 8-6 win over SW Missouri St (now Missouri St) in absolutely frigid Louisiana weather in 1987.
BTW we lost 46-8.

ElCid
June 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I almost never left early even if we were losing badly. But occasionally I did, even if it was close but it looked like we had no chance, especially if I was miserable.

The whole 2008 season had been miserable. We had lost the previous home game to Georgia So in a heartbreaking, triple over game. I had also watched us lose a close one to Wofford in Sparkle City the week prior. Somehow it seemed like we snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, only to shove it back in. So when we were down in the 4th quarter against UTC in Charleston on a rainy, late afternoon in November, I almost left early a couple times because I was very miserable.

We were down 21-17 early in the fourth after having a small half time lead. We were driving deep in UTC territory. It had been a sloppy 2nd half on a muddy field in Johnson Hagood Stadium. Just when I thought we would go ahead, we fumbled near the goal line for what could have been the winning score. My misery increased. xbawlingx UTC began to drive easily down the field. A few old folks started to leave as the rain came down. My wife was giving me the look. But a few plays later UTC fumbled! :) Obviously we were staying! Our first play was a long pass to the end zone…intercepted. NO! xbawlingx A few more folks start to leave. I was so pissed I was ready to leave. But instead we moved towards the center seats in what was now a thinning crowd. UTC started driving. There was 7 minutes left and they were already up to midfield. The rain was coming down harder. All they needed to do was hold onto the ball and run the clock for a couple of first downs. A score would surely seal it. After a few of plays we got up to head towards the exit as we wanted to watch a few last plays from at least some shelter. We did not get far. UTC fumbled again! :) We sat back down in the now cold drizzle. We were driving again. The folks who were leaving stopped. It looked like we might be able to pull the win out. After the fumble recovery we drove all the way from mid-field down to the 7. On 3rd and 1 from the 7, no gain. We even had our ace receiver Andre Roberts try and run it on 4th and 1 from the 7, no gain again. 3 minutes left and we had turned it over on downs. xbawlingx Now, even the few semi-faithful who were remaining began to migrate to the exits. I was wet and in a foul mood. UTC began driving with just over 3 minutes left. It was drizzling on and off. We stood up again ready to get out of there. We walked slowly down the steps to the ramp. UTC was still back deep in their territory with a 3rd and 7 with 2 minutes remaining. We obviously had to see if we held them. We stood watching what had become a tragic comedy. But somehow we did hold them. :) They made a very poor 30 yard punt not even to mid-field! As the ball came down I thought we might be able to still make a drive and score. But it did not matter. Andre Roberts caught it clean at the UTC 43. He ran to the right side bobbing and weaving. A few defenders missed and he was clear and he scampered into the end zone for the score and the win! :D We sat back down dumbfounded but elated we had not left. UTC got the ball and started driving. They only made it to mid-field after a short kick and we held them on 4th and 5 with under a minute to go and we took a couple knees to run out the clock.

I don't leave early anymore, no matter how miserable I am.

Apphole
June 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM

God you're an idiot.

Come watch your birds lose at KBS this year and we can reenact the stolen flag tackle of 2010.

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I don't like to see fans of my team leave early, but I do love seeing the opposing fans leave early during a big win for my team.

Ivytalk
June 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I don't leave games early, but I'm more annoyed by fans who arrive "fashionably late" after tailgating, or whatever, than by those who leave a bit early. Late arrivers are more disruptive IMHO.

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I don't leave games early, but I'm more annoyed by fans who arrive "fashionably late" after tailgating, or whatever, than by those who leave a bit early. Late arrivers are more disruptive IMHO.
You know what's worse? Those that travel to a game, tailgate and never go in the stadium.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM
It was a 49-19 game against Carson Newman. Hardly a barn burner

I hear ya, just wanted to take a jab since I hadn't in a while.:D

BisonFan02
June 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I hear ya, just wanted to take a jab since I hadn't in a while.:D

It starts with leaving games early to ring shop....and ends with making sammies and vacuuming the house. :D

asumike83
June 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM
The Heat don't really have many of what I'd consider fans. They have spray-tanned, hair-gelled dudes who buy LeBron jerseys and bring their plastic girlfriends to playoff games in between the Yankees, Cowboys and UNC basketball seasons.

BisonFan02
June 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM
The Heat don't really have many of what I'd consider fans. They have spray-tanned, hair-gelled dudes who buy LeBron jerseys and bring their plastic girlfriends to playoff games in between the Yankees, Cowboys and UNC basketball seasons.

This. Plus, you have a lot of markets that are a lot of transplants that are fans of other teams.

Silenoz
June 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM
No, but I don't spend hundreds of dollars, drive thousands of miles, and wait all year to not watch Griz football games.

Ivytalk
June 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM
You know what's worse? Those that travel to a game, tailgate and never go in the stadium.

That's pretty bad, all right. It probably happened with several thousand fans at the 2007 Harvard-Yale game in New Haven, where they were expecting well over 60K for the first time in years because The Game was "for all the marbles" in the Ivy League that year. Harvard jumped out to a big early lead, though, and a bunch of Yale fans never bothered to come inside. Announced attendance ended up a shade over 57K.

Apphole
June 20th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Don't forget TappOut shirts.

AmsterBison
June 20th, 2013, 01:32 PM

As long as they don't have tickets (or they have them and give them away), that's OK with me.

Sometimes tailgating is the closest you can get to seeing a game.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 01:58 PM
As long as they don't have tickets (or they have them and give them away), that's OK with me.

Gotta agree on that. Having someone with a ticket that isn't all that into going in and being able to grab an easy seat from them at the tailgates for a friend in town that wants to see the game is like having your own little stub hub right on site. Since the tickets are rare this is a good thing from my perspective.

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM

I'm sorry I don't see a point of driving over 4 hours to a road game to not go in the stadium. And I'm not talking about a game where tickets are hard to come by.

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Gotta agree on that. Having someone with a ticket that isn't all that into going in and being able to grab an easy seat from them at the tailgates for a friend in town that wants to see the game is like having your own little stub hub right on site. Since the tickets are rare this is a good thing from my perspective.
I don't mind selling tickets extra or otherwise. We used to have an extra season book we did that with. My issue is when you have 14K in a 29K stadium and there's lots of people that don't wanna go in but want to argue what the team is doing. (Be glad you all don't have that problem)

ursus arctos horribilis
June 20th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I don't mind selling tickets extra or otherwise. We used to have an extra season book we did that with. My issue is when you have 14K in a 29K stadium and there's lots of people that don't wanna go in but want to argue what the team is doing. (Be glad you all don't have that problem)

Yeah I can see having a sore ass on something like that for sure. I am thankful we don't have that problem most of the time but when I really want tickets I wouldn't mind if at least 4 or 5 of them do that. xlolx

813Jag
June 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah I can see having a sore ass on something like that for sure. I am thankful we don't have that problem most of the time but when I really want tickets I wouldn't mind if at least 4 or 5 of them do that. xlolx

xlolx It basically chaps my ass because it's a recent issue. Hopefully we can get back to having a full stadium, I know winning will help a lot.

WeAreNorthDakota
June 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I almost left the UND-USD game in 2011 when UND trailed 37-17 entering the 4th quarter but I was so glad we stayed to see UND comeback to 37-31 then throw the game winning TD at the end to capture the conference title. You just have to remember its not over until the clock strikes zero.

A LOT of people left that game early. Pretty sad that so few people saw that. One of the most exciting UND games I've ever seen.

citdog
June 21st, 2013, 01:09 PM

not to mention the need for the road trip to Vermont where this type of thing is legal.