PDA

View Full Version : Athlon FCS predictions

Sammy94
June 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/2013-college-football-fcs-top-25-and-predictions

darell1976
June 14th, 2013, 01:15 PM
UND plays 4 top 10 teams at home (SDSU, Montana, Montana State and EWU) should be a great atmosphere and if UND can get some upsets UND could find themselves ranked.

MSUBobcat
June 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Let me be the first to say it.... MSU is ranked too high. We lost some key defensive players. It will be interesting if their replacements will be able to keep the defense performing at the high level it did last year (Big Sky rankings: #1 in scoring defense, total defense and pass defense efficiency, #2 in rush defense, #3 in pass defense). Until we see if the D has reloaded, I think we should be ranked lower, maybe 7-10 range?

walliver
June 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Why did they rank ASU and GSU but not ODU?

Houndawg
June 14th, 2013, 03:04 PM
UND plays 4 top 10 teams at home (SDSU, Montana, Montana State and EWU) should be a great atmosphere and if UND can get some upsets UND could find themselves ranked.

Maybe MSU.

Lehigh'98
June 14th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Montana, MSU, UNI, UNH, Tenn St & East Ill are too high imo. Cal Poly too low (think they have a chance to go deep). Some teams from Ivies, PL or NEC will end up in the top 25.

Silenoz
June 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Which is funnier, MSU at #2, or UM at #9? xlolx

(not saying that both teams couldn't very well be top ten by season's end)

Thundar
June 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM

might get 7k to them so yeah might be a good atmosphere

MSUBobcat
June 14th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Maybe MSU.

Of the teams that played UND, MSU beat them the worst (55-10). I really don't think we've lost THAT much.

MSUBobcat
June 14th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Which is funnier, MSU at #2, or UM at #9? xlolx

(not saying that both teams couldn't very well be top ten by season's end)

Yeah. They really value your QB coming back and underestimate our D losses I guess. Though I agree that it's very conceivable that both could end up top 10. Just ranked high without playing a down.

darell1976
June 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Of the teams that played UND, MSU beat them the worst (55-10). I really don't think we've lost THAT much.

If our defense hasn't improved from that, we are in deep ****.

darell1976
June 14th, 2013, 05:18 PM
might get 7k to them so yeah might be a good atmosphere

Sorry we don't have SD Mines on the slate. We had 9200 for Portland State and that was a non-conference game. I expect 10,000+ in more than 1 game this year especially with early success.

Thundar
June 14th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Sorry we don't have SD Mines on the slate. We had 9200 for Portland State and that was a non-conference game. I expect 10,000+ in more than 1 game this year especially with early success.

was just getting a jab in, it's a great home schedule considering they are all payoff winning teams in last several years. SDSU is going to be a long game if you can't stop Zenner and they pay good D

frozennorth
June 14th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Swap ewu and msu and poly w/ um and this might make sense, except that msu would still be 10 spots too high, again

darell1976
June 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
was just getting a jab in, it's a great home schedule considering they are all payoff winning teams in last several years. SDSU is going to be a long game if you can't stop Zenner and they pay good D

SDSU will be the first test as I think Valpo won't put up much of a fight.

CrazyCat
June 14th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Swap ewu and msu and poly w/ um and this might make sense, except that msu would still be 10 spots too high, again

So, in your mind, 17 would be too high? Care to explain why.

Thundar
June 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM
SDSU will be the first test as I think Valpo won't put up much of a fight.

I didn't know you guys were playing Valpo, I remember how much crap I got from a UND fan friend of mine for that being our first DI game......gonn have to make sure I bring that up. of course he avoids talking sports now after the past couple years

UNHWildcat18
June 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM
To be honest I don't know how richmond is not higher on that list 18 returning starters after going 8-3 last season and getting jipped out of the playoffs. should be ahead of montana, unh, villanova, central Arkansas.

Tribe4SF
June 15th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Where is Stony Brook? I know they have to replace the QB, but they return a lot, and have added several good looking FBS transfers, and are still solid at RB. Manhandled Nova in the playoffs.

katstrapper
June 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Kats are replacing 6 starters on defense, 4 in the secondary and have a new defensive coordinator. Will see what transpires in 2013. I will say that Coach Fritz is probably one of the best at getting the most out of his team!!

McNeese75
June 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Kats are replacing 6 starters on defense, 4 in the secondary and have a new defensive coordinator. Will see what transpires in 2013. I will say that Coach Fritz is probably one of the best at getting the most out of his team!!

You better hope that EWU game is hottern hell , lol (and it probably will be) and your O is hitting on all cylinders because you know the Eagle passing game is going to be cranked to the max. I am not so sure your new DC will be quite as aggressive as your old one was against the passing game xrolleyesx

katstrapper
June 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
You better hope that EWU game is hottern hell , lol (and it probably will be) and your O is hitting on all cylinders because you know the Eagle passing game is going to be cranked to the max. I am not so sure your new DC will be quite as aggressive as your old one was against the passing game xrolleyesx

If Coach Fritz wants the aggressive style, he will have the aggressive style. EWU in early season , i promise it will be hot!!

birdsflyhigh
June 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Think (like last season) many experts are picking Illinois State's Redbirds too low. When the dust settles, think the Redbirds will be very near the top of FCS this coming season.
Anyhow, always fun to look at the pre-season picks.

Saint3333
June 15th, 2013, 11:01 AM
West coast basis...

Actually we have been witnessing a shift in power to the west which will only continue to grow.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM

They couldn't stop our passing game even with the 4 DBs they lost once we put Vernon Adams in and started moving the pocket. Adams is going to have a field day.

ewueagle2010
June 15th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Really looking forward to the game down in Sam Houston! I think it's going to be a great game! It's turning into a nice little rivalry between SHSU and EWU and it'll be nice playing 3 straight years. Looking forward to having you guys back up in Cheney next season when it's not so cold! Good luck in all your games, except on Sept 28th! GO EAGS!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 15th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Montana, MSU, UNI, UNH, Tenn St & East Ill are too high imo. Cal Poly too low (think they have a chance to go deep). Some teams from Ivies, PL or NEC will end up in the top 25.

Cal Poly has been overlooked by a lot of people. They're going to be very strong this season.

You would think they would, at the very least, pick a PL and IL team out of a hat to throw in. Those conferences will ultimately be represented anyway. PL teams, on average, finish much higher than some would believe imo.

IBleedYellow
June 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Cal Poly has been overlooked by a lot of people. They're going to be very strong this season.

You would think they would, at the very least, pick a PL and IL team out of a hat to throw in. Those conferences will ultimately be represented anyway. PL teams, on average, finish much higher than some would believe imo.

I agree with you here. Cal Poly was probably the best team in the Big Sky last year, and played SHSU the best of the three in the playoffs, IMO.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I agree with you here. Cal Poly was probably the best team in the Big Sky last year, and played SHSU the best of the three in the playoffs, IMO.

They were more successful stopping the TO because they run the option. But of the 3 BSC teams that "tied" for first, EWU was 2-0 against CP and MSU, and of course went deepest in the playoffs.

carney2
June 15th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Some teams from Ivies, PL or NEC will end up in the top 25.

Ivys always get shunned in these things. They have some very good teams, but the refusal to participate in the playoffs and expand their schedules works against them. A run-the-table team will get to number 15 or so. With the parade of the cupcakes continuing, Lehigh has the best chance from the Patriot League. They need a good showing against UNH and a League championship however, to receive real consideration. Any NEC incursion into the Top 25 will be by default (someone has to do it).

CID1990
June 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Ivys always get shunned in these things. They have some very good teams, but the refusal to participate in the playoffs and expand their schedules works against them. A run-the-table team will get to number 15 or so. With the parade of the cupcakes continuing, Lehigh has the best chance from the Patriot League. They need a good showing against UNH and a League championship however, to receive real consideration. Any NEC incursion into the Top 25 will be by default (someone has to do it).

Agreed. Participate in the playoffs and then final season rankings will mean something. Until then, final season top 20 rankings will mean nothing more than preseason polls. The 24 game format should pretty much eliminate non playoff teams from the final rankings now anyway.

Sent from the center of the universe.

ewueagle2010
June 16th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cal Poly was the best team in the Big Sky last year? Despite losing to EWU 35-17. The same EWU team that beat MSU in Bozeman and scored 42 points on SHSU in the 2nd half? Makes sense...

Houndawg
June 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Think (like last season) many experts are picking Illinois State's Redbirds too low. When the dust settles, think the Redbirds will be very near the top of FCS this coming season.
Anyhow, always fun to look at the pre-season picks.

That's what they said last year until SIU came to town and shut them out on their Homecoming. Redbirds are among the tops in underachieving with the talent they have.

CID1990
June 16th, 2013, 04:58 PM
That's what they said last year until SIU came to town and shut them out on their Homecoming. Redbirds are among the tops in underachieving with the talent they have.

Chattanooga will stomp all of their opponents so badly this season that some of those school will drop football.

frozennorth
June 16th, 2013, 06:12 PM
So, in your mind, 17 would be too high? Care to explain why.
Ummm... reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? If 7th was 10 spots too high, 17th would be an appropriate ranking.

Houndawg
June 16th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Agreed. Participate in the playoffs and then final season rankings will mean something. Until then, final season top 20 rankings will mean nothing more than preseason polls. The 24 game format should pretty much eliminate non playoff teams from the final rankings now anyway.

More likely it will just change the excuses for woofing somebody without a big fan base.

CID1990
June 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
More likely it will just change the excuses for woofing somebody without a big fan base.

That's probably a consideration, but the FCS playoffs aren't much of a cash cow for the league. I can't wait to see how the smaller Cinderellas in FBS get Woffed annually once that playoff expands to 16 (and it will) because the difference between giving Notre Dame an at large and say, Memphis an at large will mean millions of dollars.

Houndawg
June 16th, 2013, 07:56 PM
That's probably a consideration, but the FCS playoffs aren't much of a cash cow for the league. I can't wait to see how the smaller Cinderellas in FBS get Woffed annually once that playoff expands to 16 (and it will) because the difference between giving Notre Dame an at large and say, Memphis an at large will mean millions of dollars.

True, but it sounds like they're trying to make it a bigger deal, and that is bound have the selection committee giving more weight to non football factors

McNeese75
June 16th, 2013, 09:23 PM
If Coach Fritz wants the aggressive style, he will have the aggressive style. EWU in early season , i promise it will be hot!!

That might work IF you have the personnel to support in the backfield. Otherwise, it could get ugly.

CID1990
June 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM
True, but it sounds like they're trying to make it a bigger deal, and that is bound have the selection committee giving more weight to non football factors

I'm sure that would occur if enough money was involved, but I just don't see this level generating that much money, ever.

Houndawg
June 17th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I'm sure that would occur if enough money was involved, but I just don't see this level generating that much money, ever.

Neither does anybody else, the point is that money, even if its peanuts, is becoming a more front and center issue, or appears to be.

CID1990
June 17th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Neither does anybody else, the point is that money, even if its peanuts, is becoming a more front and center issue, or appears to be.

Well, the key, (as in all other sports with playoffs) is don't be on the bubble!

Houndawg
June 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Well, the key, (as in all other sports with playoffs) is don't be on the bubble!

True dat. I would think the big woof might fall farther west where the travel is longer.

Seawolf97
June 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Where is Stony Brook? I know they have to replace the QB, but they return a lot, and have added several good looking FBS transfers, and are still solid at RB. Manhandled Nova in the playoffs.

Asked myself the same question . We beat Villanova in the first of the play offs last season 20-10. True Maysonet graduated but we have Coker back and our entire offensive line returns. Oh well we paly under the radar this season.

SpiritCymbal
June 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Why did they rank ASU and GSU but not ODU?

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about ODU's I-A timeline. Not many realize that even though they accepted the CUSA invitation last year, their transition didn't start till this year.

EA included them in NCAA 14 as well even though they're still technically a 1-aa team this year.

CopperCat
June 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM

People said the same thing about Poly last year, with a first round exit being the result. Just sayin.

MR. CHICKEN
June 18th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Asked myself the same question . We beat Villanova in the first of the play offs last season 20-10. True Maysonet graduated but we have Coker back and our entire offensive line returns. Oh well we paly under the radar this season.

17812.........AH'M GUESSIN' ...YER SKED..IS DUH CULPRIT.....xdontknowx.....BRAWK!

PENN (SKRIMMAGE)
RHODE ISLAND
BUFFALO
#5 VILLANOVA
#8 TOWSON
BRYANT
COLGATE
#11 NEW HAMPSHIRE
MAINE
#13 RICHMOND
#17 JAMES MADISON
ALBANY

CopperCat
June 18th, 2013, 11:31 PM

It's just more of the anti-MSU garbage that seems to be rather pervasive around here.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 19th, 2013, 12:35 AM
It's just more of the anti-MSU garbage that seems to be rather pervasive around here.

By "anti-MSU garbage," perhaps you mean "recollection of MSU's prompt exit from the playoffs the last three years?"