PDA

View Full Version : StonyBrook vs Penn

Seawolf97
June 13th, 2013, 07:49 PM
In light of the fact Boston College bought us out of our game on 8/31 SBU will host Penn on 8/31 in a scrimmage game. Don't know how they will score it or what special rules may apply but we have a home game sort of.

Go Green
June 13th, 2013, 09:18 PM
SB's head coach Chuck Priore used to be an assistant at Penn. I'm sure the scrimmage got scheduled because of that personal connection.

Go...gate
June 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Probably a controlled scrimmage, but an intriguing match-up and "11th game".

Franks Tanks
June 13th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Word is Lafayette will scrimmage Columbia as well since we couldn't find a suitable game for the 1st week.

Please add an 11th game Ivy League and make these games count!

Bogus Megapardus
June 13th, 2013, 10:30 PM
We know everything you need to know about Penn. We've played them ninety times, to date. Ninety one after this season's game. Some might infer that approaches a "rivalry," in football terms.

Lehigh'98
June 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
What's the overall series record in that one Bogus? I didn't realize you guys had played that often.

ElCid
June 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM
What's the overall series record in that one Bogus? I didn't realize you guys had played that often.

Looks like they have a 23-62-4 record against Penn. That includes last year but it is only 89 games, so I htink this is their 90th meeting coming up.

Franks Tanks
June 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM

23-63-4

It must be stated that many of those games were pre-Ivy League for Penn, when they were often a national power. Also between 1892 and 1973 all of the games were at Franklin (47 games total). Wow, 47 road trips in a row without a return, but that of course had everything to do with the large crowds present at Franklin in those days. We have however won 5 of the last 6 vs. the Quakers.

Lafayette has actually played Bucknell and Penn 90 times, tied for 2nd behind Lehigh of course as our most played rival. Rutgers is still 4th with 72 games, despite not playing them since 1976. We also have a much better record all time vs Rutgers.

Franks Tanks
June 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Looks like they have a 23-62-4 record against Penn. That includes last year but it is only 89 games, so I htink this is their 90th meeting coming up.

My info had 90 as well, but I could be wrong. We did play them is 2012.

danefan
June 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Priore and Bagnoli are both former Bob Ford Assistants at Albany. I believe, but might have my years off a little, Bagnoli was the DC at Albany when Priore played.

Franks Tanks
June 14th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Priore and Bagnoli are both former Bob Ford Assistants at Albany. I believe, but might have my years off a little, Bagnoli was the DC at Albany when Priore played.

I would love to see the Bob Ford coaching tree. So many guys got their start working with Coach Ford at Albany.

Pard4Life
June 14th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Word is Lafayette will scrimmage Columbia as well since we couldn't find a suitable game for the 1st week.

Please add an 11th game Ivy League and make these games count!

Columbia surely does not want the game to count...

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I think it should be a fun afternoon. No harm , no foul on who wins. Good tail gate opportunity, the game is early at 2pm

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Probably a controlled scrimmage, but an intriguing match-up and "11th game".

It would be nice if the Ivy League went to a normal 11 game schedule. Games like this would count and everyone would be on the same page.

dgtw
June 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
So by league rules, an Ivy can only play ten games?

Go Green
June 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM
So by league rules, an Ivy can only play ten games?

Yep.

And event that is a new development. New did nine games for a long while before the presidents finally let us have ten in the 1980s.

carney2
June 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM
23-63-4

It must be stated that many of those games were pre-Ivy League for Penn, when they were often a national power. Also between 1892 and 1973 all of the games were at Franklin (47 games total). Wow, 47 road trips in a row without a return, but that of course had everything to do with the large crowds present at Franklin in those days. We have however won 5 of the last 6 vs. the Quakers.

Lafayette has actually played Bucknell and Penn 90 times, tied for 2nd behind Lehigh of course as our most played rival. Rutgers is still 4th with 72 games, despite not playing them since 1976. We also have a much better record all time vs Rutgers.

And, the Quackers are nowhere to be found on published Lafayette schedules after this year.

Ivytalk
June 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Penn sucks!xblehx

Had to get that off my chest.:D

UAalum72
June 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I would love to see the Bob Ford coaching tree. So many guys got their start working with Coach Ford at Albany.
From last year's game notes

More than 100 of Bob Ford’s assistant coaches are currently working in the professional, college and high school ranks. Dave Campo, a former UAlbany graduate assistant in 1973, is the defensive backs coach of the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys. Dave Clawson (Bowling Green), Pete Lembo (Ball State) and Kevin Morris (Massachusetts) are in the Mid-American Conference. Ford assistants who are Division I FCS head coaches include Al Bagnoli (Penn), Kevin Callahan (Monmouth), Walt Hameline (Wagner) and Chuck Priore (Stony Brook).

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
June 17th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I hate this and won't be going to see a fake game that doesn't count when they could schedule a real game with Lafayette, apparently. Let Columbia scrimmage Penn.

Franks Tanks
June 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I hate this and won't be going to see a fake game that doesn't count when they could schedule a real game with Lafayette, apparently. Let Columbia scrimmage Penn.

You guys are too good for us right now! Once we get 2-3 scholarship classes under our belt maybe we can talk. There were a few schools with games available the first week. Our coach/AD gave a sort of coded answer regarding why we didn't schedule a 12th game.

Bogus Megapardus
June 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
You guys are too good for us right now! Once we get 2-3 scholarship classes under our belt maybe we can talk. There were a few schools with games available the first week. Our coach/AD gave a sort of coded answer regarding why we didn't schedule a 12th game.

I'd much rather have a real game against Stony Brook than a scrimmage with Columbia. For sure, Stony Brook is a lot better than we are at the moment but it's not like the game wouldn't be competitive. I was at the game when we beat them a couple seasons ago at Fisher, after all.

I have to believe that Tavani and Priore both think that a scrimmage simply would be an advantageous "coaching tool" at this point.

Go...gate
June 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I know that playing SB is good for Colgate. They are a tough and talented opponent - if they ever get in the CAA , where they belong, they will strengthen that conference.

Nice home ballpark, too.

Seawolf97
June 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I'd much rather have a real game against Stony Brook than a scrimmage with Columbia. For sure, Stony Brook is a lot better than we are at the moment but it's not like the game wouldn't be competitive. I was at the game when we beat them a couple season ago at Fisher, after all.

I have to believe that Tavani and Priore both think think that a scrimmage simply would be a advantageous "coaching tool" at this point.

I guess my question is what kind of "game" will it be. In the past scrimmages were scored using a weird system for TD's , fumble recoveries, interceptions etc. Maybe they will play 4x 10 minute quarters with basic running and passing. Neither coach wants injuries in this so special teams , blitzing , sacking the QB will probably be a no, no. It should be a fun afternoon anyway get everyone pumped for the season.

Seawolf97
June 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I know that playing SB is good for Colgate. They are a tough and talented opponent - if they ever get in the CAA , where they belong, they will strengthen that conference.

Nice home ballpark, too.

Thanks but we start this year in the CAA as football only member with Albany.

Go...gate
June 17th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks but we start this year in the CAA as football only member with Albany.

I thought so, but I got a little confused with all the conference changes. It is a win-win for both SBU and the CAA.

dgtw
June 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Will you have to pay real money to watch the fake game?

Franks Tanks
June 17th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Will you have to pay real money to watch the fake game?

Of course not, and not sure it will even be open to the public. Also score isn't usually kept in scrimmages, at least in high school.

I don't think Frank wants to play SBU. I have no insider info, but it is my sense. I think he would rather try to pad his record as I believe he is feeling some heat.

Bogus Megapardus
June 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Of course not, and not sure it will even be open to the public. Also score isn't usually kept in scrimmages, at least in high school.

I don't think Frank wants to play SBU. I have no insider info, but it is my sense. I think he would rather try to pad his record as I believe he is feeling some heat.

If I'm not mistaken, NCAA rules don't allow you to keep score or player stats in scrimmages. It wouldn't make sense anyhow. I certainly doubt that you could charge for attendance - and there's no way that Bruce McCutcheon would do that, IMHO.

Tavani padding the record? I'm not so sure. Pards have played a tough OOC (by PL standards) for over a decade (Richmond, Stony Brook, NDSU, Harvard, Liberty, W&M, Penn, etc.)

Interesting, though - if we scrimmage against Columbia at Fisher, and if the Lions "win," does that the break the streak of Columbia never having defeated Lafayette in Easton in 125+ years?

bonarae
June 17th, 2013, 11:40 PM
It would be nice if the Ivy League went to a normal 11 game schedule. Games like this would count and everyone would be on the same page.

Hmm. But I also want the Ivy tradition of scrimmages when the rest of the nation is already on the regular season to end as well. If not, I will transfer my loyalty to ETSU (but not until 2016), Albany or Stony Brook... xpissedx

Go Green
June 18th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hmm. But I also want the Ivy tradition of scrimmages when the rest of the nation is already on the regular season to end as well.

I actually enjoyed the scrimmages. It gets boring going up against your own teammates again and again for three weeks in camp.

I'd rather have the 11th game, myself. But if scrimmages are available, I'll take 'em.

danefan
June 18th, 2013, 05:35 AM
It will be interesting this year to see how the varied schedules impact at-large selection. P

8-4 has gotten in over 7-4 in the past.

What about 7-5 vs 7-4?

3 extra at-larges this year too.

Franks Tanks
June 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken, NCAA rules don't allow you to keep score or player stats in scrimmages. It wouldn't make sense anyhow. I certainly doubt that you could charge for attendance - and there's no way that Bruce McCutcheon would do that, IMHO.

Tavani padding the record? I'm not so sure. Pards have played a tough OOC (by PL standards) for over a decade (Richmond, Stony Brook, NDSU, Harvard, Liberty, W&M, Penn, etc.)

Interesting, though - if we scrimmage against Columbia at Fisher, and if the Lions "win," does that the break the streak of Columbia never having defeated Lafayette in Easton in 125+ years?

I agree that Frank has rarely turned his back on competition,but I am not sure why we don't have a 12th game. Maybe he is concerned about injuries?

Seawolf97
June 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Injuries are always an issue . You don't want to lose anyone this early especially a starter. Our former QB Mike Coulter went down with a torn ACL during summer camp of his senior year. Never really healed and went down for good in the Buffalo game that year. Luckily Kyle Essington took over in game 3 and got us going . Im looking forward to the scrimmage just to get out see some football no mater how watered down and get ready for the real season.

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I agree that Frank has rarely turned his back on competition,but I am not sure why we don't have a 12th game. Maybe he is concerned about injuries?

Sometimes it's injuries, others times it is scheduling vs. budget. What's the value (and cost) of traveling to Eastern Illnois or VMI to fill an open week versus giving the kids time to rest and recharge their batteries for the main part of the schedule? Playing 12 straight weeks takes its toll and without a guarantee game, probably costs Lafayette as much as whatever they will get out of it.