PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls St Seeks Boost in Athlete Spending

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
This has been talked about quite a bit on this board. Seems the SGA at Nicholls St is looking to help out the lowest spending athletic institution in the conference and one of the lower ones in the nation. Best of luck to Nicholls and hopefully those folks in Thibodaux help out their athletic department! They've actually had some success as we saw in the I-AA playoffs last year.
-------------
Nicholls' spending per athlete low in SLC
Tracy Voisin
Issue date: 9/7/06 Section: News

Nicholls' spending per athlete ranks last out of 12 schools in the Southland Conference with an athletic budget in the bottom 3 percent in the NCAA Division I, according to the U.S. Department of Education, a condition students could alter by voting for or against a fee that could cost students up to an additional $42 in fees each semester.

The Student Government Association's online fall elections will be held Sept. 18 - Sept. 20. If passed by the students, the fee, which is $3.50 per credit hour, will be implemented in the spring 2007 semester. It is expected to generate about $565,000 per year for the athletic department, Athletics Director Rob Bernardi said.

Nicholls' athletic department's budget of $3.6 million ranked last in the Southland Conference and 318th out of 326 schools in the NCAA Division I for the 2004-2005 school year, the last year with available statistics from the U.S. Department of Education.

"I know it's painful any time fees are talked about, but I think ours would be certainly less painful than some of the other schools in our league. And they are fairly modest in comparison," Bernardi said.

http://media.www.thenichollsworth.com/media/storage/paper262/news/2006/09/07/News/Nicholls.Spending.Per.Athlete.Low.In.Slc-2259299.shtml?sourcedomain=www.thenichollsworth.co m&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

rufus
September 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM
It's always good to see another I-AA investing in their athletic program. I'm always impressed by the programs that manage to be successful with very limited resources.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
It's always good to see another I-AA investing in their athletic program. I'm always impressed by the programs that manage to be successful with very limited resources.

Nicholls St as a whole is a financial mess...and that translated to athletic failure. We even had a Kat fan or two talking on KatFans.com how they should leave the SLC.

I was really excited to see what their football team did last year and I hope they're able to continue to build a program in Thibodaux. It's a smaller institution and is not making the enrollment gains of even a Southeastern Louisiana (which is exploding at the waist) post Katrina. We'll see what the future brings for Nicholls...