PDA

View Full Version : best opponent stadium that you enjoy going

813Jag
June 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Since the best oppenent player thread took off, I thought I'd try another. When your team hits the road, what stadium do you enjoy seeing them play? We'll keep this FCS only.

For me I enjoy going to Mississippi Veterans Memorial (Jackson St), not so much for the stadium but for the atmosphere. The place is usually rocking at least 90 minutes before the game. And it's a heated game so you know anything can happen.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/jsu/files/2011/02/270042892_f526417b08_b.jpg

Vitojr130
June 13th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Since the best oppenent player thread took off, I thought I'd try another. When your team hits the road, what stadium do you enjoy seeing them play? We'll keep this FCS only.

For me I enjoy going to Mississippi Veterans Memorial (Jackson St), not so much for the stadium but for the atmosphere. The place is usually rocking at least 90 minutes before the game. And it's a heated game so you know anything can happen.

Well, considering my student status I have only had the financials to attend NDSU games at 3 opponents stadiums:

Coughlin-Alumni Stadium (South Dakota State)
The UNI-Dome (Northern Iowa)
TCF Bank Stadium (Minnesota)

And considering that we are keeping this only limited to FCS stadiums, I would have to say that my "favorite" would have to be Couglin-Alumni Stadium. Why? Because I was at least able to breathe fresh air while sitting in that dumpster.

I want to make it out to Montana, Montana State, and App State's stadiums sometime in the near future.

slostang
June 13th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Montana.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Montana State was legit....

That being said, I KNOW I'll love Wa-Griz that much more when I get to go there someday.

Bisonoline
June 13th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Out of all the away games I have attended i would say Montana State. Fans were great to interact with. The whole town was very hospitable to the point of amazing. The back drop for the game is worth the price of admission alone.

PantherRob82
June 13th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Montana
NDSU
YSU

FBS: Tennessee and BYU

Tribe4SF
June 13th, 2013, 06:04 AM
ODU, JMU, and Delaware all great. Love Towson because of tailgating close by visitors side.

FBS is Va Tech by a mile. Electric atmosphere, and strong bond between fan bases.

blueballs
June 13th, 2013, 06:12 AM
McNeese State

Ivytalk
June 13th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Princeton

GAD
June 13th, 2013, 07:18 AM

The Vet would my #1 also two of the largest fan bases in FCS both LOUD and proud
second would be Spinks-Casem at Alcorn State the fans are always super hype for that one.

McNeese72
June 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Montana first and Georgia Southern a close second. I didn't make the trip to Boone.

Doc

Jag4Life
June 13th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I will say Alcorn. I sometimes enjoy going to Jackson.

walliver
June 13th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Johnson Hagood
Nice town.
Also 6 straight wins.

813Jag
June 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM
The Vet would my #1 also two of the largest fan bases in FCS both LOUD and proud
second would be Spinks-Casem at Alcorn State the fans are always super hype for that one.
I love going to Alcorn, even back in the day at Henderson Stadium. An underrated one for me would be AAMU.

TheRevSFA
June 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Even though Cowboy Stadium is a dump, the tailgating there is incredible.

Estes in Conway was great until they put down that ugly ass turf.

I also enjoy Turpin Stadium in Natchitoches.

813Jag
June 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Even though Cowboy Stadium is a dump, the tailgating there is incredible.

Estes in Conway was great until they put down that ugly ass turf.

I also enjoy Turpin Stadium in Natchitoches.
Turpin is nice stadium, I like the view from the home stands.

Lehigh'98
June 13th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Delaware and Lafayette

cmaxwellgsu
June 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I'd have to say Finley in Chattanooga. It's a nice place. However, I am a little biased since I saw us win 2 NC's in it as a student. Paladin Stadium's not a bad place either, and it's impressive that a school with such a small student body pulls in as many people as it does. My most recent trip was to Samford's stadium. It's by far the smallest of these three, but it's a nice little stadium on a beautiful campus. Will make as many as I can this year.

asumike83
June 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I've always had a great time at Johnson Hagood (Citadel), Paulson (GSU) and Rhodes Stadium (Elon). Probably my three favorite SoCon venues. Paladin Stadium is a fun place to watch a game as well, gorgeous campus and a very historic feel to it. Will enjoy my farewell trip to Elon, Charleston and Greenville this year.

Finley Stadium is a nice venue and the sentimental value is a huge factor since I saw three NC games there in a packed house, but the game day experience left a lot to be desired when I went back for an App/UTC game.

However, I have a feeling that after Labor Day I'm going to have a new favorite. Been looking forward to this Montana trip for several years.

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2013, 09:24 AM
17800......NAVY......WM& MARY.......MAH FAVE'S......TOWSON WAS NICE........'NO PEE WALL @ 'NOVA......AN' DUH 3-4 URINALS DERE... MAKE YA MISS....FINAL TWO MINUTES O' FIRST HALF......xnodx......BRAWK!

GAD
June 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I love going to Alcorn, even back in the day at Henderson Stadium. An underrated one for me would be AAMU.
My uncle is already planning our 2014 trip to the reservation lol
AAMU is cool been there twice just a long ride

TTUEagles
June 13th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'd go with Finley or EKU's Roy Kidd Stadium...
I played in Kidd-Brewer (very nice!)back in the '90's but it wasn't what it (apparently) is now...

813Jag
June 13th, 2013, 10:48 AM
My uncle is already planning our 2014 trip to the reservation lol
AAMU is cool been there twice just a long ride
I agree. I've been three times flew once (in 1998 the first time we ever played them, got there an hour before game time), drove the other two.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM
The only ones I've been to are the UNIdome, Coughlin-Alumni, and Memorial in Terre Haute. Of those 3, I guess I would say CA because it was pretty fun before and after.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM
The only ones I've been to are the UNIdome, Coughlin-Alumni, and Memorial in Terre Haute. Of those 3, I guess I would say CA because it was pretty fun before and after.

CA is great if you're not on the bleachers.

Southern Bison
June 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have been to Paulson (GaSo) in 2006 and it was a nice outdoor venue. This season, I'm looking forward to seeing Johnson Hagood (Citadel, thanks to Citdog's invite) and KBS (App St., thanks to ASUMike's invite) along with Youngstown's stadium in Nov.

Silenoz
June 13th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I suppose Montana State, since that's the only one that really qualifies as a "stadium"...

ngineer
June 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Princeton, for me. Best facility in FCS.

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Princeton has a fine facility--its newness may take points off as far as other Ivy stadia go, but every seat is a good one.

Georgetown has never played Harvard (yet) but I had an opportunity en route to the Yale Bowl to see a rare Friday night game between Harvard and Holy Cross before nearly 22,000 in Cambridge. Yes, there are no bleachers or seats (only concrete risers) but it's still a great venue to watch a game.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bbj_research_alert/Harvard_Stadium_-_2006_1.jpeg?v=1

bostonspider
June 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Princeton has a fine facility--its newness may take points off as far as other Ivy stadia go, but every seat is a good one.

Georgetown has never played Harvard (yet) but I had an opportunity en route to the Yale Bowl to see a rare Friday night game between Harvard and Holy Cross before nearly 22,000 in Cambridge. Yes, there are no bleachers or seats (only concrete risers) but it's still a great venue to watch a game.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/bbj_research_alert/Harvard_Stadium_-_2006_1.jpeg?v=1

While I like Harvard Stadium, I found the seats very uncomfortable. I like the Yale Bowl better.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/215913_6014305757_1642_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208258_6014310757_1975_n.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
KBS atmosphere and facilities are really top notch and the age old thing that takes it down slightly is the track but still has to barely nudge out MSU. Montana State is a very good on all fronts except that it can be tough to have a good time at a Griz/Cat game and in that regard only can I take a little bit away from it.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Never been to a game at Princeton but that is a really great looking place. Would love to see a gmae there some time and Jackson St. as well.

813Jag
June 13th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Never been to a game at Princeton but that is a really great looking place. Would love to see a gmae there some time and Jackson St. as well.
Not saying this because I'm a fan, but the atmosphere at a JSU/SU game is head and shoulders above any other game (due to us bringing nice sized crowds) except for their homecoming or the Alcorn rivalry.

edit: the same can be said for Mumford.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Not saying this because I'm a fan, but the atmosphere at a JSU/SU game is head and shoulders above any other game (due to us bringing nice sized crowds) except for their homecoming or the Alcorn rivalry.

edit: the same can be said for Mumford.
If I ever do get the chance TJ I'm calling you first and we be rollin' to the game you direct. I got some backwoods Montana dance moves I been wanting to showcase at an event like this.

You're welcome.

Sader87
June 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
One (of many) of the great things about being Holy Cross fan is the opportunity it provides to visit such great venues. Harvard Stadium, as DFW pointed out, is one. Though it may not be as "comfortable" to watch the game, it has MUCH better sightlines than the Yale Bowl. While Dartmouth Memorial Stadium is nothing to write home about, it is very hard to beat watching a game in Hanover, NH on a crisp October afternoon.

I haven't been to the new Lafayette or Lehigh venues yet...saw a game each at their old stadia. Looking forward to going to both.

Haven't been to West Point since the 90's but it is a great environment for a football Saturday....though I'm told since 9-11 it has understandably become more restrictive etc.

ThompsonThe
June 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM
KBS atmosphere and facilities are really top notch and the age old thing that takes it down slightly is the track but still has to barely nudge out MSU. Montana State is a very good on all fronts except that it can be tough to have a good time at a Griz/Cat game and in that regard only can I take a little bit away from it.
Look forward to visiting Montana this year. Not just a good stadium, but enjoy the fans also.
Still have nightmares of their huge bowling ball running back running through our line last year.
Ran like Forest Gump except never saw his legs. He sure rolled over us, we had to work for a win.
Georgia Southern has proved to be a good stadium filled with fans that hate us to the Nth degree, fun.
Still never been to a stadium like Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone though for fans being into the games.

SU DOG
June 13th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I always enjoy my trips to Whitmire Stadium in Cullowhee. And NO, I'm NOT talking about success playing the Catamounts, although that certainly is not a negative. The folks there are really nice, the setting in those mountains is beautiful, the band is second-to-none, and I always plan a mini-vacation on those trips. Good stuff IMO.

ThompsonThe
June 13th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I always enjoy my trips to Whitmire Stadium in Cullowhee. And NO, I'm NOT talking about success playing the Catamounts, although that certainly is not a negative. The folks there are really nice, the setting in those mountains is beautiful, the band is second-to-none, and I always plan a mini-vacation on those trips. Good stuff IMO.

Now that Western Carolina has a good football coach, would think your trips might not end so well in the near future.
Of course your coach is second to none. He has done a fantastic job at Samford.

Houndawg
June 13th, 2013, 08:23 PM
If I didn't work Saturdays I'd like to go to Montana for a game

HailSzczur
June 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Best stadium I've been to is definitely JMU, and that was before the expansion. I'd love to go back there and see what its like now. Great tailgating atmosphere, nice fans, great stadium, good band, great game day atmosphere.

Ranking the other stadiums I've been to:
Delaware- Love seeing that place empty out in the fourth quarter. But the fans and tailgating scene there are great. First time I saw big time football
Franklin Field- So much history, but I really miss peeing on the walls, wish they didn't have to update the bathrooms. Wish I could have seen a game there back when the place was actually full
Stony Brook- Just felt really industrial, very bland. Wasn't overly crowded or exciting granted it was Thanksgiving weekend.

McNeese75
June 13th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Montana
App State
Georgia Southern

Although no where near the atmosphere of the three above, I have always enjoyed the quaint Southern Utah stadium.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Bogus Megapardus
June 13th, 2013, 11:43 PM
It's between Penn, Lehigh, Princeton and Army. We don't play Army regularly like we used to (we were their homecoming foe for years) but word is that those trips to West Point will start once more now that the PL has scholarships. So if it still counts, I'll say Army is the best. There's nothing like Michie Stadium on a crisp, fall afternoon.

Bogus Megapardus
June 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Yep - bare concrete risers. You don't know squirming until you've sat on one of Harvard's unadorned, porous concrete slabs after a drenching October rain. Bring a towel wrapped in a Hefty bag and wear some nice woolen socks. Takes it off the list for me - Bucknell and Colgate are better places to watch a road game. Even Columbia, which I actually enjoy -a very nice, underrated facility that holds about 20,000, I think.

ASU_Fanatic
June 14th, 2013, 12:03 AM
michigan

Vitojr130
June 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM
michigan

Good thing that's FCSxthumbsupx

344Johnson
June 14th, 2013, 12:18 AM
michigan

lol you were like what? 8 when that happened?

Bogus Megapardus
June 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Never been to a game at Princeton but that is a really great looking place.

Trust me, it's worth making a special trip. Not only for the magnificent stadium, but you have to take the time to see the campus and hang out a bit in one of America's classic college towns. If it weren't for that painful Princeton Curse of ours. We'll be there in October to try once more.

PM me if you want to go some day. I'll totally set you up, Ursus.

ASU_Fanatic
June 14th, 2013, 12:45 AM
lol you were like what? 8 when that happened?

11. i was in there doe

ASU_Fanatic
June 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM
other fcs stadiums i've been to and seen games

western, elon, furman

they all suck compared to what i'm used to at asu sooooooo

813Jag
June 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM
If I ever do get the chance TJ I'm calling you first and we be rollin' to the game you direct. I got some backwoods Montana dance moves I been wanting to showcase at an event like this.

You're welcome.
We'll make that happen xcoolx

Apphole
June 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I've been to the following FCS stadiums and would rank their facilities/atmosphere in this order (excluding App, which would obviously be at the top of the list):

GSU
Citadel
Elon (although we sort of bring the atmosphere with us when we outnumber home fans)
Furman
Richmond (at the old stadium) (another game where App fans outnumbered UR fans, so take the assessment of atmosphere with a grain of salt)
Chattanooga
WCU
Wofford

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Patriot League -Bucknell's Christy Mathewson, perfect size, chairbacks, great setting in rural Central PA

OOC - Delaware, big time FCS atmosphere, might not be quite what it was 10+ years ago....

CID1990
June 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I like KBS. It's 10 minutes from the cabin in Valle Crucis, great atmosphere.

They don't have a pisswall though and that's a minus.

WUTNDITWAA
June 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM

No, but come by in January and you can write in the snow. xrotatehx

Skyhawk71
June 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
OVC- Stadium: EKU Atmosphere: Southeast Missouri
OOC- Stadium: Southern Illinois Atmosphere: UCA
Favorite Piss Wall: Mississippi State

Ivytalk
June 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM

I thought that's what the bellhop caps were for!

carney2
June 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
Seems like we've done this before, but

Patriot League:
1. Lafayette's Fisher Stadium (Oh yeah, you can't vote for yourself.)
2. Lehigh's Goodman Stadium (In need of a facelift.)
3. Bucknell's Christy Mathewson Stadium (Always empty. A real downer.)
4. Holy Cross's Fitton Field (Also in need of some serious renovations.)

OOC for Lafayette "regular" opponents:
1. Yale Bowl (A very special place.)
2. Penn's Franklin Field (Showing its age, no parking, and night games in West Philly can be an adventure. Still, very special.)

Princeton Stadium (I've fallen out of love. A sterile environment.)
Harvard Stadium (Looking forward to my first look-see in October.)

mountaineerman
June 22nd, 2013, 08:49 PM

I Remember the piss trough though!

daneboy
June 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
As a "homer", I like Cal Poly's stadium because the seats are close to the field. But, being a Californian I don't really get a chance to visit a lot of different FCS sites. But, it would be hard to believe there could be any worse stadiums than the one's at UC Davis or Sac. St. The stadium at Davis is oval shaped so those at the 50yd line are a long way from the field. It is just not a great place to watch a game. The sad thing is that this is a relatively new stadium. Must have been designed by a non-football fan. As for Sac. St., the only thing good about it is when you leave and you know you won't have to be back for two years......the seats are uncomfortable and the heads and snack bars were inconvienent, to say the least...
I have also seen games at San Jose, Fresno, San Diego St., and the best one of all, at Wyoming. The fans and the residents of Laramie were the best and should be the model as to what home teams should do for the visitors, both on and off the field....we were treated with respect and felt welcomed to their home....if only the Cal Poly students could do the same........

Tribal
June 23rd, 2013, 07:17 PM
JMU for gametime but terrible for tailgating.

VT for "standard" FBS opponents.

bojeta
June 23rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Best for me is UC Davis, but only because my daughter is there :)
My wife and I plan on making it to Montana this year. That should be amazing!

JagHammer
June 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM

I agree! This is one of the premiere non-classic matchups in BCF and FCS Football.

Eaglesrus
June 26th, 2013, 08:19 PM
All FCS that I've been to in order:

Western Carolina (okay, it has a lot to do with having been there multiple times and never having experienced a loss)
App State
NDSU (would probably be #1 if we'd won and if it wasn't a dome)
Chattanooga (because of the championship games I've attended there)
Old Dominion
Furman
Wofford
Coastal Carolina
The Citadel
Samford
Northeastern

My #1 for all classifications would be Navy

parr90
June 27th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I like In FCS Apps stadium. I just wish yall didnt have the track. It makes it to far from the field, but very nice. Of course I will always like GSU the best but App and Montana have the nicest stadiums right now in FCS. I think GSU's will be very nice when we are through with this first phase.

van
June 27th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Princeton

Yeah, Princeton is a great venue.

813Jag
June 27th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I agree! This is one of the premiere non-classic matchups in BCF and FCS Football.
To me it's the game that really feels like a rivalry, I can remember every trip to Jackson (even the announcer saying zip for the Southern score xlolx)