PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Farewell tour

ElonFirefighter
June 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM
This is not intended to be smack. Before the final season starts for 4 SoCon teams what are your thoughts on how many season championships/Tourney will be won by leaving teams vs the core staying?

I will start off. Spring I could see Football going to a leaving team App/GSU
Mens Soccer, toss up but i'll lean towards Elon taking it
Womens Soccer, Staying Team
Volleyball, toss up

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 12th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if GSU and App have to two best conference records for football.
GSU and App. State are staying in the SoCon for men's soccer.
GSU's V-ball coach has left as has the women's soccer coach. If we can't win those sports I doubt App. will.
GSU and App. could both win the baseball titles next year.

Men's basketball? Let's not talk about that.

CID1990
June 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM
El CID already gave ASU their "toodle loo":

Football: won in Boone
Basketball: won in Boone
Wrestling: won in Boone
Baseball: 5 wins- 3 in Boone, 2 in Greenvegas
Women's soccer: won in Boone

We did lose volleyball, though.

Sent from the center of the universe.

citdog
June 12th, 2013, 08:17 AM

yosef hasn't won a baseball series in Charleston since 1977.

it's an impressive streak of futility.

Apphole
June 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM
App will win football this year (although not technically of course)
I have a good feeling about basketball. Wouldn't be surprised to win in Asheville.
I think we'll have 30 baseball wins
I'm sure we'll win the CC and GC like we do every year xcoffeex

Is it 2014 yet?

ElonFirefighter
June 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Basketball will be won by a leaving team. Look at last year divisions won by Elon/Davidson followed by App,CoC,GSU. GSU was the only team to have a remaining member have a greter record. As far as App goes it will be intresting, Elon App will battle it out in the North. I predict a split with each team winning there home game so it will come down to how they fair against other comp

whoanellie
June 12th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Adding football scholarships for App & GSU does tilt the field a bit , ya think?

Wouldn't be surprised if GSU and App have to two best conference records for football.
GSU and App. State are staying in the SoCon for men's soccer.
GSU's V-ball coach has left as has the women's soccer coach. If we can't win those sports I doubt App. will.
GSU and App. could both win the baseball titles next year.

Men's basketball? Let's not talk about that.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm not prepared to annoint App or GSU conference champs in football regardless of the FBS move. GSU is still the top banana, but I wouldn't be shocked to see App finish fourth.

I don't get excited about who wins men's basketball. Davidson is the best team, and its not even close. Everyone else is just bad to mediocre.

Men's soccer may be a tossup, but Furman has long been the class of the conference and they are still there. Furman had a top five recruiting class in men's soccer nationally.

Baseball also a tossup. Probably the sport with the most parity in the conference. Any one of probably 6 teams could win the regular season title.

I am looking forward to throttling Elon in football one more time in Greenville. I also take solace in knowing that App State will leave the SoCon with a losing record against the Paladins regardless of what happens this season. If we can upend GSU in Statesboro, well, that's gravy.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 09:24 AM

We've still got another year to get some revenge before we leave.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 12th, 2013, 09:37 AM

I'd be extremely surprised. xlolx

citdog
June 12th, 2013, 09:38 AM
We've still got another year to get some revenge before we leave.

exhibition games don't count

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 09:46 AM
exhibition games don't count

I wasn't just talking about football but I'm glad you've got the excuses ready early this year.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Adding football scholarships for App & GSU does tilt the field a bit , ya think?

Pretty much all of the added scholarships go to kids already on the team. Doesn't mean we all of a sudden bring in a wave of new players just because we're allowed to give more scholarships.

blueballs
June 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM
GSU played games decided by one score against App, Wofford, UTC, Citadel, and Elon last year- so anything can happen.

GSU might struggle defensively this year, they lost some real good players and their pass defense was a weakness last year. Offensively they should be great. Let's see how the kicking game shapes up...

IMO they shouldn't lose more than 3 and less than 1. If I had to pick a conference favorite this year it would be App because they host GSU. I'd pick Chatty 3rd followed by Wofford and Samford. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the top 5 teams so anything can happen.

EKU-n-GSU
June 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Pretty much all of the added scholarships go to kids already on the team. Doesn't mean we all of a sudden bring in a wave of new players just because we're allowed to give more scholarships.

This. Also, what everyone on the 'outside' seems to conveniently forget is that there are only eleven kids on the field - presumable your best eleven. the other 52-74 schollies split-or-not don't make a hill of beans difference. To be fair to the kids already in the program the easiest way to level the playing field for transitional programs is to simply make transfers/additional schollies ineligible during the transition year. Can you say redshirt? I can assure anyone that getting the bump from a partial to a full ride doesn't make any player any better than he already is.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 10:22 AM
GSU played games decided by one score against App, Wofford, UTC, Citadel, and Elon last year- so anything can happen.

GSU might struggle defensively this year, they lost some real good players and their pass defense was a weakness last year. Offensively they should be great. Let's see how the kicking game shapes up...

IMO they shouldn't lose more than 3 and less than 1. If I had to pick a conference favorite this year it would be App because they host GSU. I'd pick Chatty 3rd followed by Wofford and Samford. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the top 5 teams so anything can happen.

I think they were down to Furman at the half and maybe within seven at the start of the third quarter if memory serves.

I guess I'm just not that high on App State. They were beaten soundly twice at home. The squeaked out wins against Furman and Samford that came down to the final plays. Even Elon, as bad as they were, were only down 21-17 at the start of the fourth quarter in Boone.

You certainly cannot take away from their win against Georgia Southern. Still, what other game was there to "ooh and ahh" over? They had a trumped up game against a "weaker than we thought" Montana team at home, a bunch of uncomfortably close games against teams they should have soundly beaten, and then bowed out in their first playoff game.

Granted, like you, I don't see a huge distinction between the top few teams in the conference. I see GSU at the top, then UTC (I actually think they will make believers this season), then the Citadel, App, and Wofford. Folks forget about the Citadel, but they return an army of players off a team that beat GSU and App last season.

ASUMountaineer
June 12th, 2013, 10:25 AM
yosef hasn't won a baseball series in Charleston since 1977.

it's an impressive streak of futility.

Congrats, I guess. xdontknowx

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I guess I'm just not that high on App State. They were beaten soundly twice at home.

Twice?

I'm assuming you mean Wofford but I wouldn't consider a 10-point game that we led after the 3rd being beaten soundly. It was decided on a defensive TD in the 4th quarter.

ASUMountaineer
June 12th, 2013, 10:28 AM

I'd be extremely surprised. xlolx

You don't say.

parr90
June 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I think they were down to Furman at the half and maybe within seven at the start of the third quarter if memory serves.

I guess I'm just not that high on App State. They were beaten soundly twice at home. The squeaked out wins against Furman and Samford that came down to the final plays. Even Elon, as bad as they were, were only down 21-17 at the start of the fourth quarter in Boone.

You certainly cannot take away from their win against Georgia Southern. Still, what other game was there to "ooh and ahh" over? They had a trumped up game against a "weaker than we thought" Montana team at home, a bunch of uncomfortably close games against teams they should have soundly beaten, and then bowed out in their first playoff game.

Granted, like you, I don't see a huge distinction between the top few teams in the conference. I see GSU at the top, then UTC (I actually think they will make believers this season), then the Citadel, App, and Wofford. Folks forget about the Citadel, but they return an army of players off a team that beat GSU and App last season.

Kicking game lost that one.

walliver
June 12th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Davidson will win basketball. There will be no divisions in 2013, and probably none thereafter unless the conference tries the failed basket conference model.

ASU and GSU may be favorites for football, but there is no guarantee that either team will win. I would lean toward GSU over ASU, but Citadel, Samford, Chatty and Wofford have a shot at the mythical overall championship.

Baseball: a toss up, could be Western or Citadel just as likely as ASU or Elon.

ASU will win a bunch of championships in olympic sports.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Unless GSU and App. are stockpiling transfers (neither seem to be doing that), I don't think the extra scholarships will make a difference this year.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Unless GSU and App. are stockpiling transfers (neither seem to be doing that), I don't think the extra scholarships will make a difference this year.

Exactly. App brought in 1 transfer and 1 late signee. Otherwise, the additional scholarships were given to walk-ons and partial scholarship players who were already on the roster. Because the announcement was made after signing day, there won't be much difference until the 2014 classes come in. Even then, unless there are a lot of impact first-year players, I think it will be 2015-2016 before there is significantly more depth of scholarship athletes.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Twice?

I'm assuming you mean Wofford but I wouldn't consider a 10-point game that we led after the 3rd being beaten soundly. It was decided on a defensive TD in the 4th quarter.

Let's put it this way. App State should not get beaten by Wofford at home by two scores after giving up over 400 yards on the ground.

We can debate on whether a ten point loss at home is a sound beating. My point is still that conceptually everyone puts App at the top of the heap on name recognition alone. I just don't think right now ASU is as good as folks assume they are. I may be wrong, and admittedly I am going off last season. Even then, though App had a young team last year, so was everyone else. You can make an argument that the core of just about every conference team returns.

SpiritCymbal
June 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Exactly. App brought in 1 transfer and 1 late signee. Otherwise, the additional scholarships were given to walk-ons and partial scholarship players who were already on the roster. Because the announcement was made after signing day, there won't be much difference until the 2014 classes come in. Even then, unless there are a lot of impact first-year players, I think it will be 2015-2016 before there is significantly more depth of scholarship athletes.

Monken said as much this past week in an interview about recruiting. Our "extra scholarships" are going to guys that are already on the team. We're not going to be signing larger classes than normal in the next couple of years, nor will be signing strickly "higher rated" athletes ("higher rated" is my word, not his...I just couldn't think of a better way to summarize the point he was making). We're going to be going after the same kind of players that we've always gone after. The difference is depth. Instead of signing one "McKinnon" every 3-4 years, we're going to sign one "McKinnon" every year to less the drop-off when the #2's get onto the field.

As for the farewell tour....I think ASU or GSU will end up with the best record in football but since neither are eligible for the SoCon Championship, it'll go to someone that will still be in the conference in 2014. Basketball will be won by a leaving member (Davidson, Elon or App St.). Baseball is a toss up. Elon, ASU and GSU will be in the pre-season favorite talk, but so will WCU and Citadel. The rest of the sports....don't care.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Let's put it this way. App State should not get beaten by Wofford at home by two scores after giving up over 400 yards on the ground.

We can debate on whether a ten point loss at home is a sound beating. My point is still that conceptually everyone puts App at the top of the heap on name recognition alone. I just don't think right now ASU is as good as folks assume they are. I may be wrong, and admittedly I am going off last season. Even then, though App had a young team last year, so was everyone else. You can make an argument that the core of just about every conference team returns.

I suppose so but I think that result was about Wofford being really good more than App being bad. IMO, Wofford was one of the five best teams in the country last season. App was not and they lost the game due to turnovers and awful run defense. I also think you'll see a noticeable improvement in option defense under Nate Woody, although we'll have to wait and see. Obviously, The Citadel game was a different story, just a dreadful performance by ASU. El Cid played very well also but we were sleepwalking. Sound beating doesn't quite cover that one.

I'm sure name recognition plays a role in App being at or near the top but winning at least a share of the SoCon 6 of the last 7 years does too. With 10 of 11 starters returning, App's offense should be excellent. Like last year, the question will be defense. We lost several very talented players but have a much more qualified DC running the show and with two starters returning to the defensive backfield after season-ending injuries in 2012, the secondary should be very strong.

walliver
June 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Monken said as much this past week in an interview about recruiting. Our "extra scholarships" are going to guys that are already on the team. We're not going to be signing larger classes than normal in the next couple of years, nor will be signing strickly "higher rated" athletes ("higher rated" is my word, not his...I just couldn't think of a better way to summarize the point he was making). We're going to be going after the same kind of players that we've always gone after. The difference is depth. Instead of signing one "McKinnon" every 3-4 years, we're going to sign one "McKinnon" every year to less the drop-off when the #2's get onto the field.

As long as GSU runs the option, that will be the case. GSU has already been competing for the top TO offensive players. Players with military aspiration will continue to pick Navy. Players who want to play BCS football will continue to pick GT. Players wishing to go to a large school will continue to pick GSU over Wofford and the Citadel. FBS-GSU will continue to recruit the same players as did FCS-GSU. Defense may see a slight uptick.

Even at ASU, I suspect that most of the top "FCS level" athletes who make their decision purely on football issues are already picking ASU over other SoCon teams in the Carolinas and Tennessee. Moving to FBS will allow them to recruit better against UNCC, ECU and ODU. But I don't see a major uptick in quality (just quantity)

It's not like there is this large pool of superstars hidden under rocks waiting for new FBS schools to discover them.

ASUMountaineer
June 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM

I'm sure winning a share of the conference championship last year (and 6 of the last 7) has nothing to do with it.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I suppose so but I think that result was about Wofford being really good more than App being bad. IMO, Wofford was one of the five best teams in the country last season. App was not and they lost the game due to turnovers and awful run defense. I also think you'll see a noticeable improvement in option defense under Nate Woody, although we'll have to wait and see. Obviously, The Citadel game was a different story, just a dreadful performance by ASU. El Cid played very well also but we were sleepwalking. Sound beating doesn't quite cover that one.

I'm sure name recognition plays a role in App being at or near the top but winning at least a share of the SoCon 6 of the last 7 years does too. With 10 of 11 starters returning, App's offense should be excellent. Like last year, the question will be defense. We lost several very talented players but have a much more qualified DC running the show and with two starters returning to the defensive backfield after season-ending injuries in 2012, the secondary should be very strong.

I agree. ASU was young last year, but still had a good chunk of experienced seniors on the defensive side of the ball. Frankly, that was the side of the ball that let them down last season, not the offense. Notwithstanding that statement, Furman did manage two more touchdowns against your offense and special teams than they did against your defense. Bit of a rarity there. :)

Apphole
June 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I just don't think right now ASU is as good as folks assume they are. I may be wrong, and admittedly I am going off last season. Even then, though App had a young team last year, so was everyone else. You can make an argument that the core of just about every conference team returns.

Not trying to sound like chattown right now, but have you seen who we bring back on offense? There isn't an FCS DB in the nation that can cover #14, and we have 3 other receivers that would start for any FCS team in the nation. Londry-Jackson is an animal. It's looking downright scary, especially with an unbridled Satterfield at the helm.

Defense is more of a question. We lost our two best LB's but bringing in Woody at DC and finally having a healthy secondary will be an improvement from 2012.

I just don't see any way we end up with more than 1 loss outside of UGA this year.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Not trying to sound like chattown right now, but have you seen who we bring back on offense? There isn't an FCS DB in the nation that can cover #14, and we have 3 other receivers that would start for any FCS team in the nation. Londry-Jackson is an animal. It's looking downright scary, especially with an unbridled Satterfield at the helm.

Defense is more of a question. We lost our two best LB's but bringing in Woody at DC and finally having a healthy secondary will be an improvement from 2012.

I just don't see any way we end up with more than 1 loss outside of UGA this year.

All this talk about WR's, but no talk about your OL and any running threat. That's what App has been missing that made the offense as good as it once was.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 02:48 PM
All this talk about WR's, but no talk about your OL and any running threat. That's what App has been missing that made the offense as good as it once was.

For the first time in several years, I'm not worried about our OL. All starters return and we'll get Alex Acey, who started at center in 2011, back from injury to add depth at the G/C positions. Very young at RB but talented. Won't have anyone as good as Steven Miller but if the OL does their job, plenty of ability there to move the ball on the ground.

Apphole
June 12th, 2013, 02:55 PM
For the first time in several years, I'm not worried about our OL. All starters return and we'll get Alex Acey, who started at center in 2011, back from injury to add depth at the G/C positions. Very young at RB but talented. Won't have anyone as good as Steven Miller but if the OL does their job, plenty of ability there to move the ball on the ground.

Yep. Looking incredible at every position on offense.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM

I noted this in another post, but App's offense is not the concern, it is the defense. The defense gave up almost 30 ppg last season and was second to last in the conference in total defense (only ahead of Western Carolina - a team that hasn't made a tackle in 6 years). That defense, which was already poor, enters 2013 having graduated its best players.

You are also neglecting that App has some tough road games this year they avoided last season. You can overlook Furman and Wofford, but App has generally struggled on the road at those two stadiums (you'll recall they lost both of those games in 2011 with Brian Quick at wideout). They also play at the Citadel, a place that might be one of the toughest road games for anyone (App barely escaped in 2011, and was soundly beaten by the Dogs last season). Lest we not forget they also go to Wash-Griz, a place were virtually no road team wins.

I anticipate that if you go into the season believing App will only fall to mighty Georgia, well, you'll be disappointed.

CID1990
June 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Your own post spells out exactly why ASU is once again going to have trouble with the option teams. That vaunted offense isn't going to score points from the bench while the other team puts together 8-9 minute drives of 15-16 plays. To beat the TO you have to stop the TO.

I'm thinking ASU will again have two SoCon losses at the minimum. This is an ASU team that went 1-2 vs the TO last year with a better defense than they will have this year.

BTW- what is it with you guys and GSU sandbagging on the scholarships/recruiting advantage this year? "Oh, those schollies are going to existing players/we have only recruited for FBS for one year/etc etc.!

The above might well be true, but another way of saying it is, "we aren't really preparing to be competitive in the Sun Belt for our first 2-3 seasons." I'd take issue with my coaching staff if they were downplaying the advantages that they are being paid to take advantage of to the fullest. Just my two cents' worth.

EKU-n-GSU
June 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM
BTW- what is it with you guys and GSU sandbagging on the scholarships/recruiting advantage this year? "Oh, those schollies are going to existing players/we have only recruited for FBS for one year/etc etc.!

The above might well be true, but another way of saying it is, "we aren't really preparing to be competitive in the Sun Belt for our first 2-3 seasons." I'd take issue with my coaching staff if they were downplaying the advantages that they are being paid to take advantage of to the fullest. Just my two cents' worth.

So you're saying it would be better for the coaches to not fully fund the 25-30 kids that most likely have played significantly and/or even started for 1 year or more while bringing in un-tested 'talent' on a full ride? That's an interesting way to build loyalty. In addition to that, I do believe the invites/decisions to go FBS came way after signing day; I'm sure the 2014 offers to recruits are being handled a bit differently now that we know where we're headed.

Apphole
June 12th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Your own post spells out exactly why ASU is once again going to have trouble with the option teams. That vaunted offense isn't going to score points from the bench while the other team puts together 8-9 minute drives of 15-16 plays. To beat the TO you have to stop the TO.

I'm thinking ASU will again have two SoCon losses at the minimum. This is an ASU team that went 1-2 vs the TO last year with a better defense than they will have this year.

Coach Woody. That is why we will be better against the TO.

I expect one or zero SoCon losses.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM

You make some interesting points but here is my take:

First, I can see why many would expect the ASU defense to be worse: bad defense in 2012, lost 4 seniors off that squad. However, that unit had the talent to be much, much better than they were a year ago and even with the losses, has the talent to be better than last year. Our DC was demoted with very good reason.

IMO, Dale Jones got way too cute with the formations. A little 4-3, a little 3-4, a little 3-3-5 and we never really got settled into any one of them. Woody simplified the approach and installed a 3-4 scheme, which I think will work much better. There were also two kids who come to mind that played out of position all year in 2012 and both are now where they should have been all along. Getting back a pair of DB's who earned starting jobs in camp last season and then suffered season-ending injuries will go a long way in softening the losses of McCray and Sanders as well.

Two conference losses is definitely possible but I think saying "two at a minimum" is a stretch. I believe App has lost more than two SoCon games twice in the last two decades. Anything can happen, this could be one of the least successful App teams in the last twenty years but I'd be very surprised.

As for the last point, I really don't see where you're coming from. Important distinction is that App/GSU have not had a year to recruit as an FBS program. The announcement didn't come until after signing day and all of the 2013 class signed on as SoCon recruits. The coaches couldn't prepare to be successful in an FBS conference until now because they didn't have the luxury of the extra scholarship space. The difference in the team App puts on the field in 2013 as opposed to if they did not go FBS is two players: a transfer and a late signee, both of whom are projected as special teams/back-up safeties.

chattownmocs
June 12th, 2013, 05:02 PM
App fans are in denial. Your defense is a joke. You didn't just lose 4 seniors, you lost 4 of your best players. The remainder of your defense is Charmin. GSU will be weak on D as well. You 2 fan bases are going to be in tears. The reason why Chattanooga will be the best is because they have the defensive unit that is head and shoulders over any other defense in the conference. All Chattanooga has to do is improve on offense and they will win the conference.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Coach Woody. That is why we will be better against the TO.

I expect one or zero SoCon losses.

Woody hasn't been doing too hot against us.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Woody hasn't been doing too hot against us.

Y'all beat Wofford last year but only scored 17 points with 265 total yards. I'd love that kind of defensive performance against an option team.

SU DOG
June 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM
App fans are in denial. Your defense is a joke. You didn't just lose 4 seniors, you lost 4 of your best players. The remainder of your defense is Charmin. GSU will be weak on D as well. You 2 fan bases are going to be in tears. The reason why Chattanooga will be the best is because they have the defensive unit that is head and shoulders over any other defense in the conference. All Chattanooga has to do is improve on offense and they will win the conference.

Head and shoulders over ANY OTHER defense in the conference? I wouldn't be quite so sure of that.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Y'all beat Wofford last year but only scored 17 points with 265 total yards. I'd love that kind of defensive performance against an option team.

Look at the last few years.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Look at the last few years.

In the three years since the the triple option came back, 2011 was bad (31 points, 401 total yards) but 2010 (22 offensive points, 341 total yards) and 2012 (17 points, 265 total yards) were solid defensive performances, especially considering how good those GSU offenses were. Both well below average yards per game.

Of course, it won't matter as much after 2013 since we'll only see the TO once a year instead of three times.

Saint3333
June 12th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Didn't chat town say that last year?

chattownmocs
June 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I say it every year and then reality sets in and we suck and yall are world beaters.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I say it every year and then reality sets in and we suck and yall are world beaters.

Are you drinking? I'm quoting this for posterity.

eaglewraith
June 12th, 2013, 08:48 PM
In the three years since the the triple option came back, 2011 was bad (31 points, 401 total yards) but 2010 (22 offensive points, 341 total yards) and 2012 (17 points, 265 total yards) were solid defensive performances, especially considering how good those GSU offenses were. Both well below average yards per game.

Of course, it won't matter as much after 2013 since we'll only see the TO once a year instead of three times.

You forgot the 31 points given up earlier in 2010.

CID1990
June 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Holy ***** I see a new sig line.

asumike83
June 12th, 2013, 10:00 PM
You forgot the 31 points given up earlier in 2010.

No, I said 22 offensive points. The GSU defense scored a TD and a safety to get to 31. It was actually the better defensive performance in the playoffs (16 offensive points, 246 yards) that I forgot about.

Although GSU has done well against Wofford, I think Woody's defenses certainly held their own against some strong GSU offenses.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Ya'll just keep telling one another how bad App is going to be this year. Returning 30 of 44 starters and back-ups, Satterfield in complete control of the team & offense and a defensive coordinator who actually knows how to stop opposing offenses, I like our chances. People outside the program don't realize how much turmoil was going on behind the scenes the last few years. All those issues have been corrected and people are going to be shocked at the difference.

seantaylor
June 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM
This is not intended to be smack. Before the final season starts for 4 SoCon teams what are your thoughts on how many season championships/Tourney will be won by leaving teams vs the core staying?

I will start off. Spring I could see Football going to a leaving team App/GSU
Mens Soccer, toss up but i'll lean towards Elon taking it
Womens Soccer, Staying Team
Volleyball, toss up

GSU winning the baseball title? Not happening with this regime.

JROCK98
June 14th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Ya'll just keep telling one another how bad App is going to be this year. Returning 30 of 44 starters and back-ups, Satterfield in complete control of the team & offense and a defensive coordinator who actually knows how to stop opposing offenses, I like our chances. People outside the program don't realize how much turmoil was going on behind the scenes the last few years. All those issues have been corrected and people are going to be shocked at the difference.

This

CID1990
June 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Touchdown Citadel!!

ThompsonThe
June 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Touchdown Citadel!!
Give The Citadel their due. Them beating GaSo and App last year was quit a feat.
If they had not folded late, which is a tendency, they would have been in the playoffs.
They will be tough to deal with for SoCon teams after this year especially.

Don't know what to say about Chattanooga. They have had one of the best teams in the SoCon the last few
year, but lose almost all their close games. Of course, believe Robinson transferred didn't he?

Saint3333
June 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Two pumps...

phoenix3
June 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I love the way everyone is overlooking Samford.

CID1990
June 17th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I love the way everyone is overlooking Samford.

I've said numerous times that Sammy is going to be in the hunt this year, and that would be true even if ASU and GSU were eligible.

longtimemocfan
June 17th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Give The Citadel their due. Them beating GaSo and App last year was quit a feat.
If they had not folded late, which is a tendency, they would have been in the playoffs.
They will be tough to deal with for SoCon teams after this year especially.

Don't know what to say about Chattanooga. They have had one of the best teams in the SoCon the last few
year, but lose almost all their close games. Of course, believe Robinson transferred didn't he?

Robinson is very much still with the program. Is currently the top threat at receiver. New OC is still saying he will get his chance at QB. Just wait and see.

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Robinson is very much still with the program. Is currently the top threat at receiver. New OC is still saying he will get his chance at QB. Just wait and see.

Ole "1 for 7 for 3 yards and 2 picks" is going back under center again? :)

If UTC wants to not put their best offense on the field, don't let me stand in their way.

Apphole
June 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
New OC is still saying he will get his chance at QB. Just wait and see.

Not if daddy has anything to say about it. No one is taking to golden child out of the starting QB roll while Huesman is coach.

PaladinFan
June 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Not if daddy has anything to say about it. No one is taking to golden child out of the starting QB roll while Huesman is coach.

I am vastly against a two quarterback system. Either you are the guy, or you aren't.

I don't mind a package or two where you come in and make a play if you have a special skill set. I just am usually against teams rotating guys at quarterback. Either you are good enough to be the starter, or you aren't.

Apphole
June 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I am vastly against a two quarterback system. Either you are the guy, or you aren't.

I don't mind a package or two where you come in and make a play if you have a special skill set. I just am usually against teams rotating guys at quarterback. Either you are good enough to be the starter, or you aren't.

I agree. You have to commit to get a guy in rhythm.

I was just saying that Huesman is not going to bench Huesman. It's the same nepotism that drove the better QB to briefly quit the team last year.

chattownmocs
June 17th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Huesman is the better QB and Robinson is the better WR. Those will be their primary positions over the next few years.

PhillyApp1
June 17th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Huesman is the better QB and Robinson is the better WR. Those will be their primary positions over the next few years.

xeyebrowx did you just post something that makes sense??

I must be still hungover from the weekend xthumbsupx

The big question how long will the meds work??

just having fun...don't take this post serious

longtimemocfan
June 17th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Robinson had such a good year at WR that I don't see him leaving that position.

seantaylor
June 18th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I love how Monken is pushing 8-0 as the only thing that matters.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I love how Monken is pushing 8-0 as the only thing that matters.

When your season is a series of exhibition games, what else is there?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM

It can work if you have two good QBs. Usually when you have two QBs and no clear starter then chances are neither of those quarterbacks are all that great. On the unusual occasion that you have two QBs who are both good it can work. See: Tim Tebow and Chris Leak while at Florida.

In the case of Chatty, I think Huesman has pretty much developed into a pretty good SoCon QB and locked up the starting role.

parr90
June 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM
As long as GSU runs the option, that will be the case. GSU has already been competing for the top TO offensive players. Players with military aspiration will continue to pick Navy. Players who want to play BCS football will continue to pick GT. Players wishing to go to a large school will continue to pick GSU over Wofford and the Citadel. FBS-GSU will continue to recruit the same players as did FCS-GSU. Defense may see a slight uptick.

Even at ASU, I suspect that most of the top "FCS level" athletes who make their decision purely on football issues are already picking ASU over other SoCon teams in the Carolinas and Tennessee. Moving to FBS will allow them to recruit better against UNCC, ECU and ODU. But I don't see a major uptick in quality (just quantity)

It's not like there is this large pool of superstars hidden under rocks waiting for new FBS schools to discover them.

Got to disagree here. I think you are right to a certain point that some will continue as is but GSU will start to get more talent offensive players just because of the move itself. GSU will start getting some of the guys that go to Tech because the FBS title alone and there are so many players in Georgia that go to other out of state FBS schools that may have been interested in GSU but chose otherwise because they just wanted to be on a FBS team. The move to FBS is going to see a jump in the level of players GSU gets on both sides of the ball. Plus at the rate GSU is growing and the attactive campus, players that didnt notice before will begin to now.

seantaylor
June 19th, 2013, 01:35 AM
When your season is a series of exhibition games, what else is there?

Could be pushing hard for the Florida game. We have a real shot at winning that one.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Could be pushing hard for the Florida game. We have a real shot at winning that one.

No, you don't.

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 08:01 AM

GSU has zero shot at beating Florida.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'll never forget the end of the App/Florida game in 2010. They were up by like 30 and send in some half-retarded water boy to go for it on 4th down and goal. I lost a lot of respect for Urban Meyer that day.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM

I think we have a better shot at beating UGA. Neither are likely by any means. As in App has a 10% chance and GaSo has a 5% chance.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I think we have a better shot at beating UGA. Neither are likely by any means. As in App has a 10% chance and GaSo has a 5% chance.

Because I respect the FCS, I won't say either school has a zero percent shot. It is something close to zero, though.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Because I respect the FCS, I won't say either school has a zero percent shot. It is something close to zero, though.

If UF does like they did last year, and ignore game preparation for the last two weeks to prepare for FSU, then anything is possible. They had to rely on a LATE blocked punt to beat ULL last year. UF's offense is nothing to write home about, and I'm not sure how good their defense will be this year, especially against something that they have to be really disciplined to beat.

I'm not promising anything, and this could change dramatically depending on how the year goes for us and them, I would put our chances a good bit above "close to zero" based on what I know so far.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM

UGA is better than UF.

ElonFirefighter
June 19th, 2013, 09:56 AM

something like limit(1/x) as x goes to infinity

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM
You guys have your heads in the clouds. I picked ASU over Michigan because I thought the stars were aligning in just the right way for ASU to win that game: Armanti, Michigan knowing nothing about ASU and also not having any respect for FCS, early in the season, etc.

As evidenced in subsequent FBS games, ASU has not been able to sneak up on anyone since. Even ECU.

Neither Florida nor UGA are going to be asleep for the GSU or ASU games. First, ASU and GSU are known quantities in the South. SEC teams play SoCon teams pretty much every season. Plus, both teams have a reputation for having good football teams and playing well (usually) against FBS competition. Plus, in the words of just about every GSU and ASU poster here in other threads, neither ASU nor GSU have taken advantage of their higher scholarship levels, i.e.: they are still FCS level teams. If you were playing Vanderbilt and Wake Forest, then I'd think you have a shot to win those games, but you're not playing Vandy and Wake.

I'll be pulling for both ASU and GSU in those games as I always pull for FCS/SoCon teams over FBS, but I fully expect them both to be over at halftime. Especially the ASU-UGA game.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
You guys have your heads in the clouds. I picked ASU over Michigan because I thought the stars were aligning in just the right way for ASU to win that game: Armanti, Michigan knowing nothing about ASU and also not having any respect for FCS, early in the season, etc.

As evidenced in subsequent FBS games, ASU has not been able to sneak up on anyone since. Even ECU.

Neither Florida nor UGA are going to be asleep for the GSU or ASU games. First, ASU and GSU are known quantities in the South. SEC teams play SoCon teams pretty much every season. Plus, both teams have a reputation for having good football teams and playing well (usually) against FBS competition. Plus, in the words of just about every GSU and ASU poster here in other threads, neither ASU nor GSU have taken advantage of their higher scholarship levels, i.e.: they are still FCS level teams. If you were playing Vanderbilt and Wake Forest, then I'd think you have a shot to win those games, but you're not playing Vandy and Wake.

I'll be pulling for both ASU and GSU in those games as I always pull for FCS/SoCon teams over FBS, but I fully expect them both to be over at halftime. Especially the ASU-UGA game.

They will be like they always are. FBS team will go through the motions in the first half until they get the crap scared out of them, and then they will quit playing around. Florida, like many SEC schools in the past, will not bother preparing for GSU's option game (why spend a week on a gimmicky offense you see once run by a team you should beat on talent alone?), and the score will stay closer early because of it.

I don't think UGA has been seriously contested by an FCS team in years. Florida is more vulnerable, but I can tell you that after watching Will Muschamp sputter through post-game interviews as to why his team was not ready for Furman two years ago, I can only imagine he will not make those same mistakes twice. Job security in the SEC is hard enough when you aren't struggling to beat small liberal arts colleges you didn't know existed until a week before hand.

As a side note, UL-Lafayette was nothing to sneeze at last year. That they took Florida to the final whistle is not particularly surprising.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
UGA is better than UF.

App is better than Southern. I'd call it a wash.

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Florida, like many SEC schools in the past, will not bother preparing for GSU's option game (why spend a week on a gimmicky offense you see once run by a team you should beat on talent alone?), and the score will stay closer early because of it.

I would not refer to the triple option as gimmicky. I would refer to it as uncommon. American football used to be nothing but the option. If anything, that thing where you throw the ball downfield in the air to another player instead of hitting people in the teeth is gimmicky.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I would not refer to the triple option as gimmicky. I would refer to it as uncommon.
Semantics, man. The TO is effective because of it's novelty. If every school in the NCAA ran the TO, i

eaglemachine
June 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
App is better than Southern. I'd call it a wash.

Records say otherwise. Just because app has a winning record against Gsu does no mean they are a better overall team.

eaglemachine
June 19th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Semantics, man. The TO is effective because of it's novelty. If every school in the NCAA ran the TO, i

Its not a gimmick. It is just uncommon. Its not like teams haven't seen it before or do not know what is coming. Its a simple offense. They just are not prepared for the execution and speed.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Records say otherwise. Just because app has a winning record against Gsu does no mean they are a better overall team.

You have a record for the 2013 season?

eaglemachine
June 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Do you? If not you cannot say that app is better than gsu this year. Based on past performance no question gsu is better.

kdinva
June 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I would not refer to the triple option as gimmicky. I would refer to it as uncommon..

xthumbsupx

ask Kentucky basketball about VMI's "gimmicky offense" in the November, 2008 game. xnodx

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM

Lots of schools in the NCAA run option principles that are exactly like what we run. They may not have a pitch man out there every time, but an inside/outside zone read out of the shotgun is fundamentally the exact same thing we do with our first and second option. We just run a different formation and believe in putting more emphasis on running the ball rather than passing, that's why our offense gets picked on.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Do you?

Based on records for the last couple of years, GSU is better. If you're talking this year, then we don't know, but since the majority of our team that had a better record last year is back, I'd wager we're still the better team.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Do you? If not you cannot say that app is better than gsu this year. Based on past performance no question gsu is better.

But there is a question. We finished with the same conference record and beat you in your own house. Whose to say we wouldn't have gone to fargo if we were on your side of the bracket.

App's offense is unstoppable this year. Neither of us stand a chance against the SEC this year, but I like our chances better because we have the better team.

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
App's offense is unstoppable this year.

Better hope that sieve of a defense can keep that unstoppable offense on the field, then.

eaglemachine
June 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
But there is a question. We finished with the same conference record and beat you in your own house. Whose to say we wouldn't have gone to fargo if we were on your side of the bracket.

App's offense is unstoppable this year. Neither of us stand a chance against the SEC this year, but I like our chances better because we have the better team.

Gsu. We have the better overall record which includrs playoff wins.

Our offense is going to be pretty dam good too. Uga is quite a bit better than uf. App will get creamed worse than Gsu will.

eaglewraith
June 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM

You were on our side of the bracket in 2011 and lost before the rematch, so that argument doesn't hold water. You play the teams you're matched up with. You did, and lost.

You still have the same offense from last year with the same person calling plays. It was stoppable last year.

SpiritCymbal
June 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM
GSU has zero shot at beating Florida.

There's always a chance. Just like everyone that buys a lottery ticket "has a chance" at winning the lottery. hahahaha...

But for semantics, agree that GSU does not "have a real shot at winning that one".

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I would not refer to the triple option as gimmicky. I would refer to it as uncommon. American football used to be nothing but the option. If anything, that thing where you throw the ball downfield in the air to another player instead of hitting people in the teeth is gimmicky.

Gimmick is the wrong word. I like the option. The option does thrive on some level of novelty. Not that it is novel in the historical sense, but novel in that teams cannot adequately prepare to defend it.

I just use Paul Johnson as an example. Master of the triple option game. He's 1-5 in bowl games at GT (and beat a USC team last year that simply did not want to be there). I attribute some of that to the fact that his offense is something you can prepare for if given time. There is an element of smoke and mirrors, and it generally happens that if you give a team more than a few days to get ready for it, they can (and usually do) defend it.

So while his teams have success week to week, they struggle when faced with a team that has spent time preparing for the offense. Only once in a bowl game under Johnson has GT scored more than 21 points. So, not only are they struggling to win, they are struggling to score period.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Better hope that sieve of a defense can keep that unstoppable offense on the field, then.

http://appstatecentral.com/sites/default/files/Nate-Woody.jpg

hapapp
June 19th, 2013, 01:33 PM
We have yet to play a game with Woody as the DC. Let's not put too much faith in what he will deliver until we see some results. It's June, there is no way of knowing which team is better. I do know that most have UGA as a top 5 program. I would wager GSU at this point without a game being played, has better odds of beating UF than we do UGA. I believe most neutral observers would agree. Come time for the games, things may have changed but we are having to make those assertions right now. And while I'm optimistic about Satterfield's abilities as a HC, we won't know a thing until he actually has some real games under his belt.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
We have yet to play a game with Woody as the DC. Let's not put too much faith in what he will deliver until we see some results. It's June, there is no way of knowing which team is better. I do know that most have UGA as a top 5 program. I would wager GSU at this point without a game being played, has better odds of beating UF than we do UGA. I believe most neutral observers would agree. Come time for the games, things may have changed but we are having to make those assertions right now. And while I'm optimistic about Satterfield's abilities as a HC, we won't know a thing until he actually has some real games under his belt.

It's nothing against App State. As I've said before, good FCS teams can compete until they meet a defense with players that can bench press a buick and run in the 4.3s. Nothing against the FCS school, its just a matter of physics. Unstoppable force and immovable object. Price can go get 'em, but its not so helpful to have a great receiver try to catch passes that fall 30 feet short because your quarterback can't stay on his feet.

Let's put it this way. App got blown out by ECU last season. ECU probably does not have a single player on their roster that would break the Georgia two deep. It's just a different animal.

It's not impossible that App could win. It is just highly unlikely.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM
It's nothing against App State. As I've said before, good FCS teams can compete until they meet a defense with players that can bench press a buick and run in the 4.3s. Nothing against the FCS school, its just a matter of physics. Unstoppable force and immovable object. Price can go get 'em, but its not so helpful to have a great receiver try to catch passes that fall 30 feet short because your quarterback can't stay on his feet.

Let's put it this way. App got blown out by ECU last season. ECU probably does not have a single player on their roster that would break the Georgia two deep. It's just a different animal.

It's not impossible that App could win. It is just highly unlikely.

So being down by two in the fourth quarter is a blow out now. Got it.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM

No, losing by more than three touchdowns is.

Furman was down seven to Georgia Southern in the fourth quarter and led much of the game. That doesn't make the final score any less of a blowout. All four quarters count equally.

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 02:42 PM
No, losing by more than three touchdowns is.

Furman was down seven to Georgia Southern in the fourth quarter and led much of the game. That doesn't make the final score any less of a blowout. All four quarters count equally.

I forgot your opinion was final. My mistake.

That game was far from a blow out. It was a nail biter for god sake.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 19th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I will say this...I think GSU has a better chance against Florida than we did against UGA last year or Alabama in 2011. Not an overly good one but a good bit better than either o those games.

Alabama had statistically one of the best defenses in college football ever and the Bama first string was in the game the entire time. UGA was not a good matchup because (1) Richt already had experience against GSU and Tech and (2) Aaron Murray versus our secondary was a big mismatch. Also, I think the game would have been closer but UGA took away everything on the perimeter in the second half and Monken apparently didn't want to risk Swope getting hurt going up the middle right before the playoffs.

Florida won't have an offense like UGA had last year or like what Alabama had 2 years ago.

Florida, like many SEC schools in the past, will not bother preparing for GSU's option game (why spend a week on a gimmicky offense you see once run by a team you should beat on talent alone?)

I guarantee you Muchamp will do at least some preparation for the game. Saban prepared for it, and at one time there was a video showing the Alabama players practicing against it.

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM
There's always a chance. Just like everyone that buys a lottery ticket "has a chance" at winning the lottery. hahahaha...

But for semantics, agree that GSU does not "have a real shot at winning that one".

It was said partially because it is close to being true, but I was also channeling my inner Seantaylor.

chattownmocs
June 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Oh, wow. What a hypocrite .

CID1990
June 19th, 2013, 03:07 PM
http://appstatecentral.com/sites/default/files/Nate-Woody.jpg

We'll see how he does when he has to prepare for other offenses at the same time.

A DC from a triple option school does not translate into being able to stop the triple option. The reason that schools like GSU, Wofford and El Cid can defend relatively well against the TO is more because they see this offense daily; they practice against it, using a practice offense that actually knows how to run it.

Unless your new DC plans on bringing Wofford's second string offense up to Boone to prepare for their games against the three TO teams, I doubt he is going to make much difference against those schools. No way he is going to get the kind of production out of ASU's scout team to realistically represent the TO, and that is the problem for every school that has to prepare for it. The real saving grace is that in the SoCon, you arent preparing for just one team. ASU improved against the TO as their season went along last year, but that is rarely something that carries over from year to year.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I will say this...I think GSU has a better chance against Florida than we did against UGA last year or Alabama in 2011. Not an overly good one but a good bit better than either o those games.

Alabama had statistically one of the best defenses in college football ever and the Bama first string was in the game the entire time. UGA was not a good matchup because (1) Richt already had experience against GSU and Tech and (2) Aaron Murray versus our secondary was a big mismatch. Also, I think the game would have been closer but UGA took away everything on the perimeter in the second half and Monken apparently didn't want to risk Swope getting hurt going up the middle right before the playoffs.

Florida won't have an offense like UGA had last year or like what Alabama had 2 years ago.

I guarantee you Muchamp will do at least some preparation for the game. Saban prepared for it, and at one time there was a video showing the Alabama players practicing against it.

Your comments do go somewhat to my point. UGA defended the offense better because they have interest in preparing for it (their big in-state rival runs the option). There is incentive to put in elements of a defense in the summer knowing you are going to see Georgia Tech every year. If I were a football coach right now, I'd run the option. I love watching it. I do think there is a benefit in running an offense no one else sees. It's just hard to prepare for in a few days.

FWIW, I think GSU can have success against UF. Furman had a ton of success running a double wing formation. Florida quite literally had no answers for two quarters. Here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tzVPRQUXA). We scored out of that formation over and over. At the end of the day, we didn't have an answer for Rainey and Demps and made some costly turnover-touchdowns late. UF actually has world class sprinters on their roster. We didn't.

Muschamp said in the post-game that they were not prepared for the wing, and that they had not seen us run it on film. Granted, we don't run the formation often, but we break it out against FBS teams virtually every single time going back to the Bobby Johnson years. GSU masters it though.

...just watching those highlights made me realize how much I'm going to miss Jerodis Williams run the football. It's a shame he was on some bad teams. I think he could have been among the all-time great backs in the SoCon had he been on better teams. Rushed for 1,000 yards last season with every defense keyed right on him. Guy was as tough a runner as I can remember seeing.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Oh, wow. What a hypocrite .

Not lyin' I was thinking of you and his impression of your work when I read the last few comments. xlolx

Apphole
June 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Not lyin' I was thinking of you and his impression of your work when I read the last few comments. xlolx

Chattowns unfounded confidence would be a lot less radical if he were saying those things about, say, App or Southern.

chattownmocs
June 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Chattowns unfounded confidence would be a lot less radical if he were saying those things about, say, App or Southern.

I think it has more to do with the staunch defense of this epic blowout in the Chattanooga-App game that ended up with a 17 point margin but was tied in the 4th. But then a game that you lost by 3 tds was not a blowout because it was a 2 point deficit in the 4th.

seantaylor
June 20th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Florida's offense is garbage. Not sold on their coaching either. There is a big difference this season then the past two seasons. Senior QB with speed to burn. Jaybo wasn't a threat in 2011 against Bama, and we don't have to worry about the playoffs following the game. We didn't play the Alabama and thUGA games all out.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Florida's offense is garbage. Not sold on their coaching either. There is a big difference this season then the past two seasons. Senior QB with speed to burn. Jaybo wasn't a threat in 2011 against Bama, and we don't have to worry about the playoffs following the game. We didn't play the Alabama and thUGA games all out.

Neither did they. Florida is not a patsy. They are not as strong as they have been, but they still were a top 10 team last season.

Not intended as smack at all, but when was the last time GSU beat an FBS/I-A club?

seantaylor
June 20th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Neither did they. Florida is not a patsy. They are not as strong as they have been, but they still were a top 10 team last season.

Not intended as smack at all, but when was the last time GSU beat an FBS/I-A club?

So you say. We have never beaten an FBS, although that doesn't mean anything in reference to this year. If a terrible Furman team played a better Florida tight for a half, that bodes well for us.

CID1990
June 20th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Lol Chattown got STs password

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
So you say. We have never beaten an FBS, although that doesn't mean anything in reference to this year. If a terrible Furman team played a better Florida tight for a half, that bodes well for us.

That's not my opinion. They were a top 10 team last season. They were 11-2 with a loss to UGA in the regular season and Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.

Furman wasn't terrible in 2011. We caught Florida napping. Furman should have been a playoff team that year with wins over two top five programs. We just couldn't get much needed wins in games we were in good position to win (Samford, Elon, and Coastal).

Here's hoping Georgia Southern can get off the schnide and finally win a game against an FBS program before, well, you only play FBS programs.

asumike83
June 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM

So there was some other variation of the triple option they would have run or some players other than the regular starters they'd have played if they were going all out?

Your first FBS win isn't happening in The Swamp. Keeping it within 2 touchdowns would be a genuinely solid accomplishment.

CID1990
June 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
There's a lot of talk about offenses when making predictions about how a FCS team will fare against an FBS team but I think that misses the point. The glaring difference between FBS and FCS is not on offense. Teams can play to their strengths and downplay their weaknesses based on their choice of system and play calling. This was evident in the Furman-FL game.

But when an FCS team is playing a FBS team, the biggest difference is in terms of defenses. This is where the extra scholarships, the big venues, the great facilities heavily favor the FBS schools- if you want to know the one thing that keeps FCS teams at a level below FBS, it is defensive speed. Nothing more. The gap is huge, and the FBS schools are able to attract those players. The difference in team speed on offense is great also, but as I said above, coaching staffs are able to close that gap somewhat solely by their choice of systems and play calling. But when the FBS team has an extra second of speed on you at every position, you are just not going to win a 4 quarter contest.

GSU and ASu both have very good offenses, but it is their defensive speed that is going to allow the other teams to pretty much score at will. After the FL game we will hear from the GSU faithful how they ran up 400 yards of total offense on the Gators just as we did when they played I think it was UGA? Alabama? But the final score will still have about a 21 point spread. At the end of the day you can have the best offense hands down in FBS but there is no way your defense will compete for 4 quarters.

ElCid
June 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM
There's a lot of talk about offenses when making predictions about how a FCS team will fare against an FBS team but I think that misses the point. The glaring difference between FBS and FCS is not on offense. Teams can play to their strengths and downplay their weaknesses based on their choice of system and play calling. This was evident in the Furman-FL game.

But when an FCS team is playing a FBS team, the biggest difference is in terms of defenses. This is where the extra scholarships, the big venues, the great facilities heavily favor the FBS schools- if you want to know the one thing that keeps FCS teams at a level below FBS, it is defensive speed. Nothing more. The gap is huge, and the FBS schools are able to attract those players. The difference in team speed on offense is great also, but as I said above, coaching staffs are able to close that gap somewhat solely by their choice of systems and play calling. But when the FBS team has an extra second of speed on you at every position, you are just not going to win a 4 quarter contest.

GSU and ASu both have very good offenses, but it is their defensive speed that is going to allow the other teams to pretty much score at will. After the FL game we will hear from the GSU faithful how they ran up 400 yards of total offense on the Gators just as we did when they played I think it was UGA? Alabama? But the final score will still have about a 21 point spread. At the end of the day you can have the best offense hands down in FBS but there is no way your defense will compete for 4 quarters.

Good analysis. And looking at some of the scores last year, it is obvious that many FCS teams are seriously lacking in defense to begin with. And that is against FCS teams, let alone FBS teams.

EKU-n-GSU
June 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM
But when an FCS team is playing a FBS team, the biggest difference is in terms of defenses. This is where the extra scholarships, the big venues, the great facilities heavily favor the FBS schools- if you want to know the one thing that keeps FCS teams at a level below FBS, it is defensive speed. Nothing more. The gap is huge, and the FBS schools are able to attract those players.

This. I want a win over FL as bad as any Eagle fan and I'm not giving up hope, but I know the cards are not in our favor for this reason alone. And, I don't think having MBP, JJ, or Eubanks on the team would make that significant difference. We will, however, show up ready to play and will not leave without a double fist-full of gator meat.xtroublex

parr90
June 20th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Never but we havent played NC State and Univ of Ohio either. All our 1A foes have been top 20 BCS caliber teams. Maybe a couple like Colorado St and East Carolina in the early years which we lost to twice by a total of 3 points. No Florida is no patsy and regardless of their record they are as loaded talent wise as Bama. GSU has competed well though and close to many of the BCS teams they played. If App can thow the ball decent and play decent D they will be in the game with Florida, I dont doubt that one second.

parr90
June 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
OOpps sorry I thought you guys were refering to when App plays Florida. Doesnt App play Florida next year? As far as GSU playing Florida, they will have a chance and the O should be really clicking this year. Im not concerned right now with a win over a team like Florida but it would be great. In time with the growth and recuiting at GSU, BCS type wins will happen soon enough for me.

Apphole
June 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Doesnt App play Florida next year?

We play Michigan next year. Also a full Sun Belt lineup and likely another FBS home game.

parr90
June 20th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Overall I agree but it depends on the teams you are talking about. GSU is as fast player for player on offense as most bcs teams, just not as big. Defense its not so much speed because GSU's linebackers are mostly as fast too, its the size that goes along with the speed. The D lineman are the main difference. They are bigger and faster. The biggest difference though is depth. The ability to rotate players in that are as talented as the first guys. And then you have the mentality factor. FCS teams dont go into a Florida game believing most the time that they will win the game. They are supposed to lose and they have been told that buy the all the media and fans and they buy into it. There really isnt that much of a difference in most of the players at the really good FCS teams vs the BCS teams talent wise, its the size of the talent thats different. The gap you refer to isnt as great as people think, the media has blown this gap apart much further than it really is.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Never but we havent played NC State and Univ of Ohio either. All our 1A foes have been top 20 BCS caliber teams. Maybe a couple like Colorado St and East Carolina in the early years which we lost to twice by a total of 3 points. No Florida is no patsy and regardless of their record they are as loaded talent wise as Bama. GSU has competed well though and close to many of the BCS teams they played. If App can thow the ball decent and play decent D they will be in the game with Florida, I dont doubt that one second.

GSU lost Colorado State not in the "early years," but in 2007.

It seems the Eagles have wins over teams that are currently FBS, but probably were the same classification when they played. There does appear to be one win against Miami maybe back in the 30s.

Still, with a program as good as GSU's has been, you'd think they would have run into a win eventually. Furman probably has 4 or 5 such wins since GSU restarted their program. Not necessarily against patsies either. Maybe not the '66 Alabama team, but not an incompetent opponent either.

blueballs
June 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
GSU defeated FIU when they were a transitional program in 2004, but has no wins over FBS/1-A teams who were FBS/1-A at the time the game was played.

There were some REAL close calls, like the two ECU games in the 80's (GSU got ripped off), the Oregon St game in 1999 (48-42 and the game ended with GSU on the OSU 20), and FSU in 1988 (Parr90 played in that one and can comment further)... but for the most part GSU has played the real heavyweights of 1-A/FBS and taken their share of whuppins as a result.

blueballs
June 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
FWIW UF should be REAL good again in 2013... for GSU to be able to defeat them they would have to play a darned near perfect game and UF would have to be off. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Hell no.

A shoutout to PaladinFan here as far as FBS wins go... I REALLY enjoyed Furman's dismantling of UNC in 1999. That was a straight up whuppin' and UNC didn't know what had hit them. That was classic...

SpiritCymbal
June 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
....and likely another FBS home game.

I'm intrigued.

We know that GSU won't have a home OOC I-A game next year and our AD has tempered expectations for 2015 or 2016 as well.

Apphole
June 20th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I'm intrigued.

We know that GSU won't have a home OOC I-A game next year and our AD has tempered expectations for 2015 or 2016 as well.

Rumors abound of either ECU or Marsha, but we will see. I'm not getting my hopes up. I thought you guys were hosting an FBS tean in 2015. I forget who.

eaglewraith
June 20th, 2013, 02:06 PM

It seems the Eagles have wins over teams that are currently FBS, but probably were the same classification when they played. There does appear to be one win against Miami maybe back in the 30s.

Still, with a program as good as GSU's has been, you'd think they would have run into a win eventually. Furman probably has 4 or 5 such wins since GSU restarted their program. Not necessarily against patsies either. Maybe not the '66 Alabama team, but not an incompetent opponent either.

Edit: My previous statement was incorrect.

We've played 19 FBS games.
11 of those teams were ranked, 8 were in the top 8, 5 of those were top 5.
Of those teams, 2 were national champions the year we played them.

That's pretty long odds.

Saint3333
June 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'm intrigued.

So you're going to only play 5 home games or two FCS games?

That would be disappointing scheduling for three straight years. Sounds like a money issue.

SpiritCymbal
June 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Rumors abound of either ECU or Marsha, but we will see. I'm not getting my hopes up. I thought you guys were hosting an FBS tean in 2015. I forget who.

Not that I'm aware of, but I admit that I'm far from an insider with "behind the scenes" knowledge of what's going on since I moved out west. I hope against all hope that this game vs. Navy next year is the start of a home-home series, but like I said...nothing has been confirmed about that.

SpiritCymbal
June 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM
So you're going to only play 5 home games or two FCS games?

That would be disappointing scheduling for three straight years. Sounds like a money issue.

I totally agree and I really hope this is just Kleinlein's attempt to low-ball people's expectations. I noticed GaState is hosting Air Force next year so I'm hoping for something similar in 2015. And I have no doubt that it's a money issue. We're putting every cent we have into expanding the stadium and the new FOC building. If "we" would have been more pro-active over the past 5-10 years, perhaps we would have more flexibility right now. But no use crying over spilt milk.

seantaylor
June 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM
So there was some other variation of the triple option they would have run or some players other than the regular starters they'd have played if they were going all out?

Your first FBS win isn't happening in The Swamp. Keeping it within 2 touchdowns would be a genuinely solid accomplishment.

Those games come at the end of the year before the playoffs. Playoffs were the priority

seantaylor
June 21st, 2013, 01:24 AM

Doesn't count. Chris Hatcher cant coach. Any of Monken's teams would have wiped the floor with that version of the Rams.

parr90
June 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM

GSU has played a couple of no good 1A teams and thats it, and the Colorado state game was during our worst couple of years in our history. Since starting the program 95% of the teams GSU has played have been top 20 BCS teams. Big difference in teams that beat 1A teams like a Carolina team that sucks one year. GSU has played some of the Georgias and Auburns very close. I played in 88 the year Furman beat us in the NC and we had Fla state down 10-6 with 6 min left in the game. They threw 2 TDs deep on a 3rd string corner we had. Our depth killed us in the end of that one. I get your point but GSU hasnt really had many opportunities to beat a 1A team like a NC state or Minnesota. The UGA's and Auburns are hard teams to beat.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 21st, 2013, 07:31 AM
Considering we are getting payed by Navy, I don't think it's a home-and-home.

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
GSU has played a couple of no good 1A teams and thats it, and the Colorado state game was during our worst couple of years in our history. Since starting the program 95% of the teams GSU has played have been top 20 BCS teams. Big difference in teams that beat 1A teams like a Carolina team that sucks one year. GSU has played some of the Georgias and Auburns very close. I played in 88 the year Furman beat us in the NC and we had Fla state down 10-6 with 6 min left in the game. They threw 2 TDs deep on a 3rd string corner we had. Our depth killed us in the end of that one. I get your point but GSU hasnt really had many opportunities to beat a 1A team like a NC state or Minnesota. The UGA's and Auburns are hard teams to beat.

I am not arguing they have played tough teams. Most of the SoCon routinely plays tough teams in the FBS. Furman was up 17 against Pitt in 2004, and that team went on to the Fiesta Bowl. Not the end of the world, just is what it is.

I think our conference would fare quite well against the UABs and Western Michigans of the world. The money just isn't in it, and those teams won't play SoCon schools.

elon77
June 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
Not that I'm aware of, but I admit that I'm far from an insider with "behind the scenes" knowledge of what's going on since I moved out west. I hope against all hope that this game vs. Navy next year is the start of a home-home series, but like I said...nothing has been confirmed about that.

Word has it that ODU is trying to bring The Naval Academy to Norfolk for a home game, and with the large Navy population in the area it would be a huge get. But, it sounds like Navy is scheduled out solid for the next 20 years and remains to be seen if it happens. If GSU could get a home and home with them it would be a real nice deal.

ElCid
June 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Word has it that ODU is trying to bring The Naval Academy to Norfolk for a home game, and with the large Navy population in the area it would be a huge get. But, it sounds like Navy is scheduled out solid for the next 20 years and remains to be seen if it happens. If GSU could get a home and home with them it would be a real nice deal.

This is a logical conclusion but will not necessarily play out in reality. Navy tried the same thing in 1988 and actually came to Charleston, which had a huge Navy population as well back then, to play The Citadel. That game (20,754) was not even the highest home attendence that year for The Citadel. Close, but the VMI game in Charleston had a higher attendance (20,800). Oh and we beat Navy 42-35. I am sure they did not bargin on that.

CID1990
June 21st, 2013, 09:36 AM
I think it is possible that Navy was the last FBS/I-A team to actually travel to play a FCS/I-AA school.

Anyone know of a more recent contest?

BTW- the Navy game in Charleston was actually the first half of a home and home. We also beat them the following year in their house. I was lucky to be at both games, especially considering that the game in Annapolis was on September 23, 1989... we had just evacuated Charleston due to Hurricane Hugo.

parr90
June 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM
I am not arguing they have played tough teams. Most of the SoCon routinely plays tough teams in the FBS. Furman was up 17 against Pitt in 2004, and that team went on to the Fiesta Bowl. Not the end of the world, just is what it is.

I think our conference would fare quite well against the UABs and Western Michigans of the world. The money just isn't in it, and those teams won't play SoCon schools.

Nor was it my intention to make an argument out of who played tough teams. The discussion of beating a 1A team and the fact that others had and not GSU. My only point was to look at the schools GSU has played! There have been 2 or 3 beatable opponents and those were close but the others were much tougher foes plus when you really think about it GSU was and still is a young program in some regard. We didnt start a program like GA State did with money and facilities, we borrowed equipment and coaches offices were in trailers. GSC at that point had 0 money unlike many of these start up programs today. It really doesnt matter any more though because we wont be FCS anymore, so these 1A wins will happen soon enough, just not as an FCS team. I give all credit to Furman beating some of the teams they beat over the years.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM
I think it is possible that Navy was the last FBS/I-A team to actually travel to play a FCS/I-AA school.

Anyone know of a more recent contest?

BTW- the Navy game in Charleston was actually the first half of a home and home. We also beat them the following year in their house. I was lucky to be at both games, especially considering that the game in Annapolis was on September 23, 1989... we had just evacuated Charleston due to Hurricane Hugo.

We had a 5 game series with Idaho while they were FBS in which 3 were in Missoula and I think the last one was 2000 or 2001 and the only game of the series we lost was on a last second field goal by Idahol. Still pisses me off that we let em' have one in that series.

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Nor was it my intention to make an argument out of who played tough teams. The discussion of beating a 1A team and the fact that others had and not GSU. My only point was to look at the schools GSU has played! There have been 2 or 3 beatable opponents and those were close but the others were much tougher foes plus when you really think about it GSU was and still is a young program in some regard. We didnt start a program like GA State did with money and facilities, we borrowed equipment and coaches offices were in trailers. GSC at that point had 0 money unlike many of these start up programs today. It really doesnt matter any more though because we wont be FCS anymore, so these 1A wins will happen soon enough, just not as an FCS team. I give all credit to Furman beating some of the teams they beat over the years.

Certainly. The SoCon would look a lot better if it played teams from the MAC and (horror of horrors) Big 10 every now and then.

Much of my prejudices against the FCS/FBS games came from watching Furman play Auburn a few years ago. Furman was decent, Auburn as a a bit down, but ye gods to a man they looked four inches taller and 60 pounds heavier at every position. Frankly, if an FCS team can go out and beat a team like that, giving up substantial size, speed, and strength at every position and with less depth, it really is a shocker.

What is an unfortunate result of Furman's recent struggles is that folks (and man on here) tend to forget how good the Paladins were for so long. It is no small task for a small liberal arts university to smack around large flagship state institutions like Furman routinely did in the 80s and on even into the early 2000s.

citdog
June 21st, 2013, 01:30 PM
Certainly. The SoCon would look a lot better if it played teams from the MAC and (horror of horrors) Big 10 every now and then.

Much of my prejudices against the FCS/FBS games came from watching Furman play Auburn a few years ago. Furman was decent, Auburn as a a bit down, but ye gods to a man they looked four inches taller and 60 pounds heavier at every position. Frankly, if an FCS team can go out and beat a team like that, giving up substantial size, speed, and strength at every position and with less depth, it really is a shocker.

What is an unfortunate result of Furman's recent struggles is that folks (and man on here) tend to forget how good the Paladins were for so long. It is no small task for a small liberal arts university to smack around large flagship state institutions like Furman routinely did in the 80s and on even into the early 2000s.

furman sucks

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM
furman sucks

I see we've moved on past App State moving to the FBS.

citdog
June 21st, 2013, 04:17 PM
I see we've moved on past App State moving to the FBS.

furman had sucked for a century before yosef's lateral move.

eaglewraith
June 21st, 2013, 04:22 PM
furman had sucked for a century before yosef's lateral move.

I'll miss you citdog. Truly a quality troll.

Saint3333
June 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Citdov was a troll before the term was popular on message boards. In fact thinking back he may be AGS's first troll, which is a very prestigious legacy around these parts.

ASUMountaineer
June 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM

Did chattown hack your account?

ASUMountaineer
June 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM

MINI-TEBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walliver
June 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Citdov was a troll before the term was popular on message boards. In fact thinking back he may be AGS's first troll, which is a very prestigious legacy around these parts.

Citdog's ancestors were dissing on Robert E. Lee for attending a military school in New York.

CID1990
June 24th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Citdog's ancestors were dissing on Robert E. Lee for attending a military school in New York.

Nah.

Lee was Class of 1829. VMI and El Cid were founded later than that.

He gets a pass on that one.