PDA

View Full Version : Mercer Stadium Update

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I know there's one Mercer fan floating around on here, but I have been super impressed by the new park going up at Mercer. Already an impressive facility, I think.

http://www.13wmaz.com/sports/article/235453/45/Mercer-Football-Stadium-Nears-Completion-

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2013, 01:58 PM
yes, that is going to be very nice.

terrierbob
June 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
A good friend of mine is a Mercer grad. He was surprised (happily) when they chose the SoCon. I'm jacked because Macon is an hour away. Beautiful campus in a beautiful neighborhood.

tourguide
June 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM
So they have a sparkling new stadium but opening the season with 3 non-counters? Cancel that game with Warner and sign a home and home with NDSU!!

dbackjon
June 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
So they have a sparkling new stadium but opening the season with 3 non-counters? Cancel that game with Warner and sign a home and home with NDSU!!

You realize this is their very first season, right? And that they were planning on being a non-scholle team until the SC called?

tourguide
June 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
You realize this is their very first season, right? And that they were planning on being a non-scholle team until the SC called?

i dont believe they started the program to stay in non scholly football.

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2013, 06:24 AM
i dont believe they started the program to stay in non scholly football.

It does not appear that way. Hard to say, really, but they went and hired a coach that was (somewhat) recently the head of the #1 ranked FCS program in the country and built a stadium that is on par with many of the current SoCon venues. It certainly did not appear they were anticipating hanging out in non-scholarship ball for long.

walliver
June 12th, 2013, 06:33 AM
My understanding is that they planned on playing in the Pioneer League for 3-5 years, and then move up.

Opportunity knocked and the time-table was moved up.

pleahy1
June 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM
There is a rumor floating around Macon that they are already working on a plan to expand their stadium since they sold out of seasons tickets for the opening season last year.

rokamortis
June 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
There is a rumor floating around Macon that they are already working on a plan to expand their stadium since they sold out of seasons tickets for the opening season last year.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Eagle22
August 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.mercergameday.com/

Link with gameday information for folks.

Parking will be at a premium. I've got season tix, but bought them mainly to let my sister and brother use (they are both alums as well). Will be headed to Statesboro or Eagle games on the road most of the time.

All the $10 lots they have listed are close in, but in my estimation will fill up quickly. The lot behind the School of Medicine, eastern side is IMO the best for tailgating and setting up out of the way. There is some grass there and it bellies up to the lacrosse field.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 15th, 2013, 07:46 PM
C'mon Orange&Black! You gotta start carrying some of the load on the Mercer stuff!

Can't have all your SoCon brethren (Eagle22 is a special exception) do all the work for ya! xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
August 15th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Go Mercer! Congratulations! I wish you the very best of luck. Maybe you guys could schedule a Patriot school and take a trip up north (the benchwarmers can learn about frostbite in Hamilton or Worcester - very educational).

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2013, 05:51 AM
http://www.mercergameday.com/

Link with gameday information for folks.

Parking will be at a premium. I've got season tix, but bought them mainly to let my sister and brother use (they are both alums as well). Will be headed to Statesboro or Eagle games on the road most of the time.

All the $10 lots they have listed are close in, but in my estimation will fill up quickly. The lot behind the School of Medicine, eastern side is IMO the best for tailgating and setting up out of the way. There is some grass there and it bellies up to the lacrosse field.

I imagine they will figure the parking situation out as they go. That lot by the Medical School is a big one. They've also added a lot more parking behind the baseball field. I may be inclined just to park downtown and walk up College.

Eagle22
August 16th, 2013, 08:27 PM
I imagine they will figure the parking situation out as they go. That lot by the Medical School is a big one. They've also added a lot more parking behind the baseball field. I may be inclined just to park downtown and walk up College.

It is a big one, but unless they've made arrangements to completely block it off, it can get fairly full with the med students and MBA programs that meet in the med school's video-conferencing center on the weekends. There is just very little open parking on campus as it is. If the students actually stay on the weekend it will put a bigger crush on some of those perimeter lots as well.

Best place to park would probably be around Tattnall Park, and walk across campus .... if you don't get there early to stake out a spot.

ThompsonThe
August 16th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Mercer got a really good coach in Bobby Lamb. Watched Lamb as a QB with Furman playing GaSo in the NC of 1985 the other night. He was a really good QB also. His son, Taylor Lamb, is a true freshman QB at App State this year. Sounds like if our senior QB wasn't the offensive SoCon player of the year last year, he would have a shot at playing this year. Probably red shirt, but who knows. HC Satterfield says he has a great future ahead of him at App State.

pleahy1
August 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Mercer has Macon onboard with tailgating and parking, finally now. Plenty of parking downtown and the Macon city buses are going to be doing 2 dollar shuttle rides to the stadium

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2013, 07:56 AM
It is a big one, but unless they've made arrangements to completely block it off, it can get fairly full with the med students and MBA programs that meet in the med school's video-conferencing center on the weekends. There is just very little open parking on campus as it is. If the students actually stay on the weekend it will put a bigger crush on some of those perimeter lots as well.

Best place to park would probably be around Tattnall Park, and walk across campus .... if you don't get there early to stake out a spot.

one of the first things I noticed at Mercer was how difficult it was to drive around campus. I understand that was done on purpose to keep folks from cutting through college to Mercer Univ. Drive. I am interested to see how that is going to work with a football game.

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 02:46 AM
C'mon Orange&Black! You gotta start carrying some of the load on the Mercer stuff!

Can't have all your SoCon brethren (Eagle22 is a special exception) do all the work for ya! xlolx

I'm here!! Haha. I'll pick up the slack soon.

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Here's some pictures from the Mercer Football twitter: @MercerFootball https://twitter.com/MercerFootball

edit -- not sure why they uploaded so small, but they are full on the twitter if interested. It's the entrance to the stadium, and a view looking at the home stands.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Here's some pictures from the Mercer Football twitter: @MercerFootball https://twitter.com/MercerFootball

edit -- not sure why they uploaded so small, but they are full on the twitter if interested. It's the entrance to the stadium, and a view looking at the home stands.

They come in as a thumbnail if you don't select "from url" option" when posting then. "Copy image location" when you find the one you want and then paste the link into the "from url" tab and deselect the checkbox that says "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

Here it is from the link(s).

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18031&d=1376898716

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18032&d=1376898717

bostonspider
August 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BR0lfgPCUAE4Gvw.jpg:large

bostonspider
August 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRpQsMsCYAETjXy.jpg:large

bostonspider
August 19th, 2013, 01:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRlTLWgCYAA_RdM.jpg:large

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Not sure the reason, but it appears the pressbox is on the "visitor" (smaller) side of the stadium.

Good looking facility.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Looks really nice! Not too big, not too small!!

walliver
August 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Is the press box on the visitors side? It appears that the "M" faces away from the press box.

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/9191ad_ca2df80c2d584813065d621a2665057c.jpg_srz_90 6_786_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Yes the pressbox is on the visitor side. Is that crazy?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/9191ad_ca2df80c2d584813065d621a2665057c.jpg_srz_90 6_786_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Yes the pressbox is on the visitor side. Is that crazy?

Montana is the same way. Might be unusual though considering your Southern brethren here.

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 04:59 PM
My only thought is maybe that was going to be the original "home side". They decided to expand and add the upper deck at a later date, so possibly the press box was already being built. Also, thanks ursus arctos horribilis for the image upload explanation!

SU DOG
August 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Frankly, I think the press box on the opposite side from the home crowd has advantages. Filming, streaming, TV, photos, etc. will show up much better than, as is often the case, a less than fully occupied visitors side. Even if the stadium is full, the home crowd will be larger and will show up better in media.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
My only thought is maybe that was going to be the original "home side". They decided to expand and add the upper deck at a later date, so possibly the press box was already being built. Also, thanks ursus arctos horribilis for the image upload explanation!

Not a problem. Any problems just ask cuz there are lots of AGS "tech types" that can help with the little things.

BTW, make it easy on yourself and go with ursus. xlolx

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Not a problem. Any problems just ask cuz there are lots of AGS "tech types" that can help with the little things.

BTW, make it easy on yourself and go with ursus. xlolx

lol thanks, I copy/pasted your name in the other post! I'll gladly shorten it next time.

OrangeAndBlack
August 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Frankly, I think the press box on the opposite side from the home crowd has advantages. Filming, streaming, TV, photos, etc. will show up much better than, as is often the case, a less than fully occupied visitors side. Even if the stadium is full, the home crowd will be larger and will show up better in media.

That's a good point.. Makes perfect sense to me.

bostonspider
August 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Robins Stadium has the press box on what could be called the "Visitor Side". The "Home Side" has the luxury suites.

thirdgendin
August 20th, 2013, 05:50 AM

If there was a place for a crew to sit and broadcast the game on the opposite side, I would agree. But in this instance, there doesn't appear to be any place for the announcers to sit over there, and TV always wants the announcers and cameras on the same side, if at all possible.

walliver
August 20th, 2013, 06:14 AM

The problem with TV, streaming, etc, is that viewers would see an upside-down bear's head superimposed on a "W" not a "M".