View Full Version : Underrated players entering the 2013 season

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Guys,

From watching these players there are some players being underrated by the media big time. Here are a few.

1. AJ Dalton of Robert Morris is pretty good. People need to look at him. He should have been 1st-team All-NEC last year. He's a sleeper to watch for when NFL Draft time comes around. Would not shock me to see him as an All-American and he wasn't even all-conference last year. I have him in the 12-15 range among OTs and would not be shocked if he rose up. He has that potential.

2. I don't see how Dakota Dozier is not a 1st team All-American last year and not an unanimous pick this year entering the season. He is so good he may end up going in the top 5 rounds.

3. SDSU DE Doug Peete. He has a shot. I would not put him in the draft yet but he could get there. He's a good player. Should have been 1st-team All-MVFC last year. He will be in 2013.

4. Delaware DT Zach Kerr. It stuns me how many people just don't know his name. He will get drafted if he keeps playing hard. Would not shock me if he were a top 150 pick. He's the 2nd best DT I have seen in FCS and could argue him as the best, especially if you rank the CAA a ton better than the Ivy league.

5. Towson CB Jordan Love is a tall, long, and fast corner. I think the NFL guys have him too low. They seem to have him as a PFA right now. I'd put him in the 5th round and believe he should be an All-American in 2013.

6. Howard S Julien David was their best defender in 2012, yes I said it. He's a big time NFL prospect and I would pick him as the MEAC preseason DEF POY.

7. App WRs Tony Washington and Andrew Peacock. Just proves people look at stats and not the players. They are more polished than Brian Quick and both could have a big year. Washington should get drafted.

8. Bryant WR Jordan Harris is the best WR I have ever seen in that league. He is so good he should play on Sundays as well.

9. I think NAU RB Zach Bauman is a really good player. He tore up Montana. Surprised people don't have him higher.

10. GSU QB Jerick McKinnon. He should be in a top 4-5 QBs. He's a stud.

11. I don't think people realize how good Chattanooga DT Derrick Lott is. He will surprise people in 2013.

12. Austin Peay DE Iosua Siliva. Yes I said Austin Peay has a player. He's got the upside you look for and should have a huge year. He may end up being the OVC DEF POY or at least in the running. He could shock people. Keep his name in your heads.

Now, who do you think is being underrated?

I have a list of overrated names but I'll hold off on them.

BisonFan02
June 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Guys,

From watching these players there are some players being underrated by the media big time. Here are a few.

1. AJ Dalton of Robert Morris is pretty good. People need to look at him. he should have been 1st-team All-NEC last year. He's a sleeper to watch for when NFL Draft time comes around. Would not shock me to see him as an All-American and he wasn't even all-conference last year. I have him in the 12-15 range among OTs and would not be shocked if he rose up. He has that potential.

2. I don't see how Dakota Dozier is not a 1st team All-American last year and not an unanimous pick this year entering the season. He is so good he may end up going in the top 5 rounds.

3. SDSU DE Doug Peete. He has a shot. I would not put him in the draft yet but he could get there. He's a good player. Should have been 1st-team All-MVFC last year. He will be in 2013.

4. Delaware DT Zach Kerr. It stuns me how many people just don't know his name. He will get drafted if he keeps playing hard. Would not shock me if he were a top 150 pick. He's the 2nd best DT I have seen in FCS and could argue him as the best, especially if you rank the CAA a ton better than the Ivy league.

5. Towson CB Jordan Love is a tall, long, and fast corner. I think the NFL guys have him too low. They seem to have him as a PFA right now. I'd put him in the 5th round and believe he should be an All-American in 2013.

6. Howard S Julien David was their best defender in 2012, yes I said it. He's a big time NFL prospect and I would pick him as the MEAC preseason DEF POY.

7. App WRs Tony Washington and Andrew Peacock. Just proves people look at stats and not the players. They are more polished than Brian Quick and both could have a big year. Washington should get drafted.

8. Bryant WR Jordan Harris is the best WR I have ever seen in that league. He is so good he should play on Sundays as well.

9. I think NAU RB Zach Bauman is a really good player. He tore up Montana. Surprised people don't have him higher.

11. I don't think people realize how good Chattanooga DT Derrick Lott is. He will surprise people in 2013.

12. Austin Peay DE Iosua Siliva. Yes I said Austin Peay has a player. He's got the upside you look for and should have a huge year. He may end up being the OVC DEF POY or at least in the running. He could shock people. Keep his name in your heads.

I would personally take both Jiric and Emanuel at DE over Peete (yes, I know...homer pick).

Tribe4SF
June 9th, 2013, 12:31 AM
W&M FS Jerome Couplin. 6'2" 215 with good speed, reads field well, excellent tackler. Tribe has another good one in Junior SS Ivan Tagoe who is 6'1" 220.

BisonFan02
June 9th, 2013, 12:49 AM
NDSU "Underrated":

Just a few names of people to keep an eye on outside of the usual suspects.

John Crockett/Sam Ojuri - RB #23/#22 - I put these two in as a pair (who is 1a and 1b would be up for debate), but both are back as 1000+ yd rushers. If you only look at a stat sheet, they won't stand out of the pack because of the split time.

Ryan Smith - WR #4 - maybe not underrated by any means, but definitely underappreciated at times. Jensen's #1 option at WR, good kick returner, and he beats (see SHSU) you on the jet sweep with his speed.

The Bison D....more of a collection of its parts versus superstars:

Ryan Drevlow - DL #60 - wonder why teams are never able to run up the middle on the Bison D? Drevlow has a lot to do with it...and wasn't even an honorable mention on last year's MVFC All Conference team.

Carlton Littlejohn - LB #38 - Sometimes lost among Olson and Beck, Littlejohn is a beast at LB...keep an eye out for him next season

Oh, by the way, a certain player that wears #20 will be back healthy this season.... :) I wouldn't sleep on him either.

CID1990
June 9th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Guys,

1. AJ Dalton of Robert Morris is pretty good. People need to look at him. he should have been 1st-team All-NEC last year. He's a sleeper to watch for when NFL Draft time comes around. Would not shock me to see him as an All-American and he wasn't even all-conference last year. I have him in the 12-15 range among OTs and would not be shocked if he rose up. He has that potential.

You haven't really listed anyone who is under the radar. All of these players are highly touted and expected to have big seasons in 2013.

Sent from the center of the universe.

seantaylor
June 9th, 2013, 01:27 AM
From GSU Zack Walker and Matt Dobson. Both guys are going to have huge years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I would personally take both Jiric and Emanuel at DE over Peete (yes, I know...homer pick).

Notice I said underrated. Peete was not on the CFPA Watch List but both of your guys were. Everyone has your two guys on the first-team All-MVFC I'm sure but many might not have Peete on it. I have both of your guys rated slightly ahead of him right now but he is much closer to that top group than the media perception.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 07:27 AM
W&M FS Jerome Couplin. 6'2" 215 with good speed, reads field well, excellent tackler. Tribe has another good one in Junior SS Ivan Tagoe who is 6'1" 220.

I almost put him on this list. He is underrated a little bit. Couplin was 2nd team All-CAA, like he should have been last year, but I would put him on the 1st-team this year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 07:27 AM
From GSU Zack Walker and Matt Dobson. Both guys are going to have huge years.

Walker is a good player. People don't know him because of the offense but he's a talented WR.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 07:30 AM
You haven't really listed anyone who is under the radar. All of these players are highly touted and expected to have big seasons in 2013.

Sent from the center of the universe.

Dozier is the only one I have seen on an All-America team. To me an underrated player is someone not rated as high as he should be even though what he has done on the field is already impressive. More media outlets have Witzmann and Turner from the MVFC on their 1st-team All-America list but Dozier is better than both for sure.

Like Crockett for NDSU is a good player but he needs more of a resume to say he is an underrated player. He would be a breakout player for me. Same thing with Walker from GSU.

I'm with you that all of these guys should have big seasons but when I look at preseason All-America teams and awards from last year none of these guys were really highly touted outside of Dozier and he should have been on every first-team list in my opinion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 9th, 2013, 08:20 AM
The PL has two very good wr's imo

Lee Kurfis, WR, Lehigh; great combo of speed and size, should have a big year if the new QB does well.

Mark Ross, WR, Lafayette; not overly big but catches everything in sight, reminds me of Liberty's Pat Kelly but faster.

Houndawg
June 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Guys,

One to watch at SIU this season will be #24 Tyler Williamson, OLB.

All-Newcomer MVC - 4.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 pick, 1 blocked FG.

Started zero games because he was playing behind Jayson DiManche who is in the NFL right now.

kdinva
June 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
VMI is looking for fine seasons from HB Jabari Turner WR Sam Patterson, DE John Washington, LB Logan Staib, DB James Fruehan, LB Ty Garvin, C Will Lucas

Grizalltheway
June 9th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I think Montana WR Ellis Henderson could make some noise this season now that he'll have a decent QB throwing to him again.

32counter
June 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM
VMI is looking for fine seasons from HB Jabari Turner WR Sam Patterson, DE John Washington, LB Logan Staib, DB James Fruehan, LB Ty Garvin, C Will Lucas

Look forward to seeing your guys in the Brickhouse on 8/31.Be easy on us Spiders.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
You guys are mentioning a lot of breakout players but who had a great year last year and somehow was underrated and will be a top player who finally gets the credit this year?

I'll toss out a couple breakout and overrated players for you guys.

BREAKOUT
QB Andy Vailas, UNH
QB Michael Birdsong, JMU
RB John Crockett, NDSU
FB Donovan Johnson, Wofford
WR Zach Walker, GSU
WR Grant Gellatly, Cornell
WR Tyler McDonald, SC State
CB Dante Blackmon, App State
TE Matt Lengel, EKU
TE Kevin Vaadeland, NDSU
OT Javarius Leamon, SC State
OT Kendall Lamm, App State
OG Travon Carter, EKU
OG Donald Jackson, SHSU
DE Kyle Emanuel, NDSU
DE Iosua Siliva, Austin Peay
DE Michael Yules, Brown
DE Shawn Shupperd, EKU
DE Anthony Grady, Missouri State
DT Jerry Mathis, Samford
DT Jordan Stanton, JMU
DT David Carter, EKU
LB Joe Thomas, SC State
LB Jonathan Spain, Elon- He was all-socon but he will be an All-American this year.
LB Bryan Presume, SIU
CB Ivan Toomer, Gardner-Webb
CB Todd Washington, SLU
CB Lavelle Westbrooks, GSU
DE Shaquille Riddick, Gardner-Webb
LB Brandon Denmark, FAMU

OVERRATED
These players are good but have a little too much hype on them. They aren't heavily liked by the next level right now or they just did not pop out to me like their accolades might make you think.

OT Bryan Witzmann, SDSU
DE Colton Underwood, Illinois State
OL Malcolm Boyd, Liberty
RB Andrew Pierce, Delaware

I think many people have them just a little higher than they should be. None of those names are draftable players and the very best players in FCS, the truly best players that is, will play in the NFL. I don't know if any of those names are more than just really solid college players who won't make it at the next level unless it's a secondary league.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM

VMI is getting a little better. I just hope they give Sparky a couple more years. He can get them winning 5-7 games a year, and at VMI that is a great accomplishment.

Saint3333
June 9th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Blackmon by all accounts was CB1 going into ECU but got hurt in practice and redshirted. We'll alway wonder what if as when he and Middleton went down before game two we had to patch our safeties together all year.

Not sure which LB from App will step up but the coaches loved DaDa in the spring.

SU DOG
June 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I have 3 for Samford that I think will make get quick attention from the SoCon. They are all defensive players and are all transfers(unusual for Samford with our academic requirements). After watching these 3 in the spring, I am excited about what they bring.

1. Hans Rice LB - Was injured last year, but seems to be ready now. A 3*** Rivals player who originally signed with NC State. He was rated the #25 weak-side LB in the nation coming out of high school.
2. Justin Cooper LB - A 3*** Rivals player who originally signed with Texas Tech. All - State in Florida, and a linebacker who is extremely fast, and hits extremely hard.
3. Michael Pierce DE - Originally signed with Tulane. Pierce was the MVP of the 6A AL state championship game, as his team(Daphne) beat Hoover. At Tulane, he was selected to the Conference USA All-Freshman Team. At 292 lbs, he is a powerful player who is cat-quick, and I sincerely believe he will be All-SoCon this season.

Add to these a practically unanimous All-American Safety(Tartt), a pair of tough 300lb tackles(Mathis and Towns), another Rivals 3*** DE(Wilkinson), and an All-SoCon CB(Bradberry), and Samford Fans expect this defense to be among the best in the conference this year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I have 3 for Samford that I think will make get quick attention from the SoCon. They are all defensive players and are all transfers(unusual for Samford with our academic requirements). After watching these 3 in the spring, I am excited about what they bring.

1. Hans Rice LB - Was injured last year, but seems to be ready now. A 3*** Rivals player who originally signed with NC State. He was rated the #25 weak-side LB in the nation coming out of high school.
2. Justin Cooper LB - A 3*** Rivals player who originally signed with Texas Tech. All - State in Florida, and a linebacker who is extremely fast, and hits extremely hard.
3. Michael Pierce DE - Originally signed with Tulane. Pierce was the MVP of the 6A AL state championship game, as his team(Daphne) beat Hoover. At Tulane, he was selected to the Conference USA All-Freshman Team. At 292 lbs, he is a powerful player who is cat-quick, and I sincerely believe he will be All-SoCon this season.

Add to these a practically unanimous All-American Safety(Tartt), a pair of tough 300lb tackles(Mathis and Towns), another Rivals 3*** DE(Wilkinson), and an All-SoCon CB(Bradberry), and Samford Fans expect this defense to be among the best in the conference this year.

I actually agree. Your defense should be really good. Towns and Mathis should be a really good pair. If Towns were not hurt so much he could be pretty good.

mvemjsunpx
June 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM

Bauman really faded down the stretch last year—he averaged 3.6 ypc in the final 4 games compared with 6.3 ypc in the first 7.

I don't know if he was banged up or what, but that was the primary reason NAU collapsed & missed the playoffs.

underdawg
June 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM
More for SIU Salukis:

Brandon Minor--not overly underrated (2-3 star) but rather under reported since he signed with a mere 6-5 team. The 6'3" 235 ILB already benches over 400 pounds and may see some action as true frosh
Kitray Solomon---6'2" 240 DE from Garden City CC--came out of Spring and will be fighting for starting position.

Tay Willis--5'8" 170 RB/ KOR was not highly recruited because of size but has run consistently under 4.4 sec in forty, benches 340 and squats over 400--was surprisingly hard to bring down in spring drills--when tacklers were able to catch him---one former SIU coach I talked to feels he may eventually end up a starter.

Marcus Miller--under recruited S from Fayette Academy in Somerville Tenn. 6'1" 170 also was a RB his senior year (1426 yds/ 9ypc) was relative unknown till he came to SIU summer camp last year and ran an electronic timed 4.37 second forty. Saluki coaches were so astonished they thought it was an error but Miller stepped right up 20 minutes later and ran the exact same time again! May be red-shirted but may also get time on special teams as a KR.

PaladinFan
June 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM
The SoCon is not necessarily known as being a heavy producer of top offensive line talent (perhaps because only two offenses really qualify as "pro style" in their blocking). I don't know where I'd rank Dozier in terms of SoCon linemen, but he's certainly the best Furman has had in a long while.

lionsrking2
June 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
You guys are mentioning a lot of breakout players but who had a great year last year and somehow was underrated and will be a top player who finally gets the credit this year?

BREAKOUT
QB Andy Vailas, UNH
QB Michael Birdsong, JMU
RB John Crockett, NDSU
WR Zach Walker, GSU
TE Matt Lengel, EKU
TE Kevin Vaadeland, NDSU
OG Travon Carter, EKU
OG Donald Jackson, SHSU
DE Kyle Emanuel, NDSU
DE Michael Yules, Brown
DE Shawn Shupperd, EKU
DT Jerry Mathis, Samford
DT Jordan Stanton, JMU
DT David Carter, EKU
LB Joe Thomas, SC State
LB Jonathan Spain, Elon- He was all-socon but he will be an All-American this year.
LB Bryan Presume, SIU
CB Todd Washington, SLU
LB Brandon Denmark, FAMU

Glad to see you mentioned Todd Washington, CB, Southeastern Louisiana ... he's been the CB opposite Robert Alford the last two years and is a quality corner in his own right. He doesn't have the elite speed Rob has but has nice length, very good instincts and cover skills. If he continues to get stronger and can shave a tenth off his 40 time, the Lions will have a chance to have two CB drafts in a row. We also have a redshirt sophomore CB in Denzel Thompson, 6-3, 190, who has a chance to have a breakout year ... he's not a burner but has incredible length and ball skills and should come into his own this year. And we have a true sophomore CB in Harlan Miller, 6-1, 180, who has a chance to be a superstar. We're loaded at corner.

But the real breakout guy for the Lions, IMO, will be Junior LB, Drew Misita, 6-1, 240 ... we should have redshirted him in 2011, but had to play him on special teams that year ... played very well last year in backup OLB role, despite some nagging injuries, and should start in the middle for us in 2013 ... he ran a 4.47 hand time during the spring and has the athleticism of a strong safety ... I look for him to have a huge year if he can stay healthy. Kaleb Muse, 5-11, 250, started in the middle last year and will take Devan Walker's spot ... he's the strongest guy on the team with a 400+ bench, 600+ squat and 385 power clean. And on the other side is Texas Tech transfer, Cqulin Hubert, 6-1, 250, who is a big hitter with pass rush skills.

Offensively, Oregon transfer QB, Bryan Bennett, should really help transform our offense ... he's super athletic and will give our offense a dimension we haven't had. Also watch JC transfer RB, Darrius Guy, 5-10, 205 ... he originally signed with our coaching staff at Delta State before playing last year as a redshirt freshman at Copiah-Lincoln CC ... our coaches feel he will have a Tim Flanders type impact in the SLC this fall.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Bauman really faded down the stretch last year—he averaged 3.6 ypc in the final 4 games compared with 6.3 ypc in the first 7.

I don't know if he was banged up or what, but that was the primary reason NAU collapsed & missed the playoffs.

I was told injury so it will be interesting to see.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM
The SoCon is not necessarily known as being a heavy producer of top offensive line talent (perhaps because only two offenses really qualify as "pro style" in their blocking). I don't know where I'd rank Dozier in terms of SoCon linemen, but he's certainly the best Furman has had in a long while.

You may not care lol but in my humble opinion he is the best. He should have won the blocking trophy last year and is by far the best again, as of this moment. He still needs to have a big year but the NFL folks agree with me that he is the best OL in the Southern Conference and it's not even close.

slostang
June 9th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cal Poly DT Sullivan Grosz. (6'4" 285)

Former high school LB who is cat quick and as strong as an ox. 3 year starter that is a buzz saw in the middle of Cal Poly defense. Had 57 tackles with 13.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks in 2012.

TheRevSFA
June 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM
For SFA it has to be RB Gus Johnson.

He will probably break 1,000 yards this season on a pass heavy offense.

walliver
June 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM

There is a lot of "top offensive line talent" in the SoCon, it just is not the style of play that transfers well to the NFL or all-american teams.

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2013, 09:04 AM
There is a lot of "top offensive line talent" in the SoCon, it just is not the style of play that transfers well to the NFL or all-american teams.

I suppose that was more or less my point. The SoCon does not produce a lot of NFL prospects on the offensive line, IMO, because the majority of the teams run system offenses that require smaller and quicker linemen. Dozier is a bit of an exception to that rule. Big powerful offensive tackle.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I suppose that was more or less my point. The SoCon does not produce a lot of NFL prospects on the offensive line, IMO, because the majority of the teams run system offenses that require smaller and quicker linemen. Dozier is a bit of an exception to that rule. Big powerful offensive tackle.

Exactly. Wofford has a lot of good offensive linemen and there are others but Wofford just doesn't have anyone who is good enough for the NFL this year. They had Pat Illig get looks but he is considered a better prospect than the current crop has.

To me, Dozier, Singleton, Lamm, Byrd, Frye, Daves, and Gregory are all really good linemen but Dozier is the only one whose talent translates to the next level for sure.

ValleyChamp
June 10th, 2013, 09:47 AM
David Johnson at UNI is a name everyone should learn. Freak athlete, multi-purpose RB only a JR this year after two really good seasons as a Fr and So.

EKU-n-GSU
June 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Exactly. Wofford has a lot of good offensive linemen and there are others but Wofford just doesn't have anyone who is good enough for the NFL this year. They had Pat Illig get looks but he is considered a better prospect than the current crop has.

To me, Dozier, Singleton, Lamm, Byrd, Frye, Daves, and Gregory are all really good linemen but Dozier is the only one whose talent translates to the next level for sure.

From my perspective, the limiting factor for SoCon OL making it to the NFL hasn't been talent, it's be size, and more specifically height. Lots of very good 6'-1" to 6'-3" OL out there but they don't have the reach (wingspan) necessary to keep a DL in their control area. Footwork is important, and can cover up other deficiencies, but you can contain better with greater reach. Because I do have a dog in this fight, I'm anxiously waiting to see where Frye ends up this year weight-wise. He's pushing 275 lbs., is 6'-5", still runs a 4.8, and only turned 20 a couple days back. It'll be interesting to see what scouts think of him if he can get to 290-295 lbs. by the end of the 2014 season.

GeauxLions94
June 10th, 2013, 10:12 AM

BREAKOUT
QB Andy Vailas, UNH
QB Michael Birdsong, JMU
RB John Crockett, NDSU
WR Zach Walker, GSU
TE Matt Lengel, EKU
TE Kevin Vaadeland, NDSU
OG Travon Carter, EKU
OG Donald Jackson, SHSU
DE Kyle Emanuel, NDSU
DE Michael Yules, Brown
DE Shawn Shupperd, EKU
DT Jerry Mathis, Samford
DT Jordan Stanton, JMU
DT David Carter, EKU
LB Joe Thomas, SC State
LB Bryan Presume, SIU
CB Todd Washington, SLU
LB Brandon Denmark, FAMU

OVERRATED
These players are good but have a little too much hype on them. They aren't heavily liked by the next level right now or they just did not pop out to me like their accolades might make you think.

OT Bryan Witzmann, SDSU
OL Malcolm Boyd, Liberty

I think many people have them just a little higher than they should be. None of those names are draftable players and the very best players in FCS, the truly best players that is, will play in the NFL. I don't know if any of those names are more than just really solid college players who won't make it at the next level unless it's a secondary league.

Glad to see you mentioned Todd Washington, CB, Southeastern Louisiana ... he's been the CB opposite Robert Alford the last two years and is a quality corner in his own right. He doesn't have the elite speed Rob has but has nice length, very good instincts and cover skills. If he continues to get stronger and can shave a tenth off his 40 time, the Lions will have a chance to have two CB drafts in a row. We also have a redshirt sophomore CB in Denzel Thompson, 6-3, 190, who has a chance to have a breakout year ... he's not a burner but has incredible length and ball skills and should come into his own this year. And we have a true sophomore CB in Harlan Miller, 6-1, 180, who has a chance to be a superstar. We're loaded at corner.

But the real breakout guy for the Lions, IMO, will be Junior LB, Drew Misita, 6-1, 240 ... we should have redshirted him in 2011, but had to play him on special teams that year ... played very well last year in backup OLB role, despite some nagging injuries, and should start in the middle for us in 2013 ... he ran a 4.47 hand time during the spring and has the athleticism of a strong safety ... I look for him to have a huge year if he can stay healthy. Kaleb Muse, 5-11, 250, started in the middle last year and will take Devan Walker's spot ... he's the strongest guy on the team with a 400+ bench, 600+ squat and 385 power clean. And on the other side is Texas Tech transfer, Cqulin Hubert, 6-1, 250, who is a big hitter with pass rush skills.

Offensively, Oregon transfer QB, Bryan Bennett, should really help transform our offense ... he's super athletic and will give our offense a dimension we haven't had. Also watch JC transfer RB, Darrius Guy, 5-10, 205 ... he originally signed with our coaching staff at Delta State before playing last year as a redshirt freshman at Copiah-Lincoln CC ... our coaches feel he will have a Tim Flanders type impact in the SLC this fall.

One guy that was overlooked is OT Gasten Gabriel. Could arguably be the best OL we've have since bringing football back (better than Kevin Hughes). Glad you threw in Todd Washington as well. He's a solid corner who's going to be the guy now that Alford is Dirty Bird (pure heresy coming from a Saints fan). Also like Denzel Thompson and Harlan Miller as potential replacements.

lionsrking2
June 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
One guy that was overlooked is OT Gasten Gabriel. Could arguably be the best OL we've have since bringing football back (better than Kevin Hughes). Glad you threw in Todd Washington as well. He's a solid corner who's going to be the guy now that Alford is Dirty Bird (pure heresy coming from a Saints fan). Also like Denzel Thompson and Harlan Miller as potential replacements.

Forgot to mention Gasten ... upside is there, no question, especially now that he's hitting his stride in the weight room. He's always had size and athleticism, now the strength is starting come.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM

I was never high on Hughes. He had good movement skills but to me was just a camp body. I think Gabriel is slightly better but still not a guy I would put in All-America chatter yet. It will be interesting to see where his game is this fall.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 10th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Anyone from the PL? I tossed out the two WR's who could be on the brink of big seasons. How about Nigel Muhammad, LB, from Lehigh?

terrierbob
June 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Wofford fullback Donovan Johnson. Underrated and undersized (5' 8", 190 lbs). Understandably, he's been our number two fullback for the past two or three years. Now that Mr. Breitenstein is gone, I think Donovan will really shine this year. His three-year average yardage per rush is 7.6, and while he is a young gentleman and a team player, no doubt he has a fire in his gut to show that we are not going to have a huge drop-off in production.

CrazyCat
June 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Na'a Moeakiola

Moeakiola, a 5-foot-11, 217-pounder out of Euless, Texas, had 89 tackles and a Big Sky middle linebacker-high 13 tackles for loss last season, yet MSU’s middle linebacker didn’t earn all-league recognition. He returns for his fourth year in the program as a senior captain and a player who looks primed for a breakout year.

PaladinFan
June 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Wofford fullback Donovan Johnson. Underrated and undersized (5' 8", 190 lbs). Understandably, he's been our number two fullback for the past two or three years. Now that Mr. Breitenstein is gone, I think Donovan will really shine this year. His three-year average yardage per rush is 7.6, and while he is a young gentleman and a team player, no doubt he has a fire in his gut to show that we are not going to have a huge drop-off in production.

I don't worry so much about size at that position for Wofford. The fullbacks in those systems are not really blockers. Furman had a good, but undersized, fullback named Tersoo Uhaa that went on just fine.

katstrapper
June 12th, 2013, 09:04 AM

BREAKOUT
QB Andy Vailas, UNH
QB Michael Birdsong, JMU
RB John Crockett, NDSU
WR Zach Walker, GSU
TE Matt Lengel, EKU
TE Kevin Vaadeland, NDSU
OG Travon Carter, EKU
OG Donald Jackson, SHSU
DE Kyle Emanuel, NDSU
DE Michael Yules, Brown
DE Shawn Shupperd, EKU
DT Jerry Mathis, Samford
DT Jordan Stanton, JMU
DT David Carter, EKU
LB Joe Thomas, SC State
LB Bryan Presume, SIU
CB Todd Washington, SLU
LB Brandon Denmark, FAMU

OVERRATED

OT Bryan Witzmann, SDSU
OL Malcolm Boyd, Liberty

Good pick on Jackson to have a breakout season. This kid started as a true freshman last year and had a solid year playing RG next to All-Conference RT Kaleb Hopson. Jackson is very versitle in that he can play various positions across the front. When Hopson got hurt in the EWU playoff game, he moved out to RT and filled in there.

One player for SHSU that I think is a little underrated is QB Brian Bell. You dont hear much about him or see him on many preseason lists but all the kid had done is break records and WIN!! Oh and not to mention has been to back to back Natl Championship games in Frisco.

Bell's career stats as QB at SHSU

Bearkats’ all-time “winningest” quarterback, leading team to 30 victories in 38 starts the past three seasons ... Sam Houston’s career leader in both passing yards (6,165), passing TDs (52) and total offense (7,980) ... two-time second team All-Southland selection

BisonFan02
June 12th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Good pick on Jackson to have a breakout season. This kid started as a true freshman last year and had a solid year playing RG next to All-Conference RT Kaleb Hopson. Jackson is very versitle in that he can play various positions across the front. When Hopson got hurt in the EWU playoff game, he moved out to RT and filled in there.

One player for SHSU that I think is a little underrated is QB Brian Bell. You dont hear much about him or see him on many preseason lists but all the kid had done is break records and WIN!! Oh and not to mention has been to back to back Natl Championship games in Frisco.

Bell's career stats as QB at SHSU

Bearkats’ all-time “winningest” quarterback, leading team to 30 victories in 38 starts the past three seasons ... Sam Houston’s career leader in both passing yards (6,165), passing TDs (52) and total offense (7,980) ... two-time second team All-Southland selection

Bell will have a tough time making any list when he performs like he does in back to back chips....might not be fair, but I think that has something to do with it.

RowdyRedhawk
June 12th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Kyle Snyder-SEMO QB
Transferred in last year from Ohio, then blew out his knee.
wowed everyone last season in the spring and fall camp before getting hurt.
had a huge spring. kid is on another level out there,6'2 230 extremly fast and athletic dont even get me started on his huge arm.
he will have a huge year for us

Bisonator
June 12th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Bell will have a tough time making any list when he performs like he does in back to back chips....might not be fair, but I think that has something to do with it.

He sure took a beating in those 2 games! xlolx

lionsrking2
June 12th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Kyle Snyder-SEMO QB
Transferred in last year from Ohio, then blew out his knee.
wowed everyone last season in the spring and fall camp before getting hurt.
had a huge spring. kid is on another level out there,6'2 230 extremly fast and athletic dont even get me started on his huge arm.
he will have a huge year for us

We'll see him up close in game one ... sounds like he'll be a handful.

Houndawg
June 12th, 2013, 04:46 PM
More for SIU Salukis:

Brandon Minor--not overly underrated (2-3 star) but rather under reported since he signed with a mere 6-5 team. The 6'3" 235 ILB already benches over 400 pounds and may see some action as true frosh
Kitray Solomon---6'2" 240 DE from Garden City CC--came out of Spring and will be fighting for starting position.

Tay Willis--5'8" 170 RB/ KOR was not highly recruited because of size but has run consistently under 4.4 sec in forty, benches 340 and squats over 400--was surprisingly hard to bring down in spring drills--when tacklers were able to catch him---one former SIU coach I talked to feels he may eventually end up a starter.

Marcus Miller--under recruited S from Fayette Academy in Somerville Tenn. 6'1" 170 also was a RB his senior year (1426 yds/ 9ypc) was relative unknown till he came to SIU summer camp last year and ran an electronic timed 4.37 second forty. Saluki coaches were so astonished they thought it was an error but Miller stepped right up 20 minutes later and ran the exact same time again! May be red-shirted but may also get time on special teams as a KR.

I don't think it is a good idea to redshirt 4.37. Can he play WR?

chattownmocs
June 12th, 2013, 08:27 PM
In the SOCON you have to start with some of UTCs defenders. Derrick Lott is one of the best DTs in the nation. Wes Forward is as solid as they come at MLB in the nation. DJ Key should be an all american at S. GSU has some devastating ball carriers. App has the receivers. Wofford has the oline.

clenz
June 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM
So....

UTC should be a top 10 team this year, no question, right?

smallcollegefbfan
June 12th, 2013, 08:47 PM
So....

Please don't get into an argument with him over this because when you bring facts to the table he just ignores and lets the subject go. :)

blueballs
June 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM
So....

From a talent standpoint it is certainly possible.

They'll have one of the best defenses in the division and the young QB is a special talent.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2013, 07:30 AM
From a talent standpoint it is certainly possible.

They'll have one of the best defenses in the division and the young QB is a special talent.

UTC has always had good talent. Their problem in years past is similar to their problem now - their coaches can't get out of their own way. Less so now than in years past, but that is always a common theme.

Mark this, whenever the UTC coaches determine they are going to start trying to run at and over teams on offense, instead of around them, it will be a scary day for the rest of the SoCon.