PDA

View Full Version : scheduling for the new SoCon in 2014

catamount man
June 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Until ETSU gets back and running, circa 2015, the conference in 2014 will have 8 football playing schools. With 2014 a 12 game allowable year, looks like more than 1 FBS "money" game again for everybody.

Western already has games at South Florida and Alabama and with 7 SoCon games, that leaves THREE TBA and if I know WCU, we'll pick up ANOTHER money game. Fine, we need it. Our SoCon slate road trips will be at Furman, Wofford, El Cid for sure and UTC and Samford at home. I see us hosting Mercer and going to VMI and then when ETSU hits the slate in 2015, we'd go to JC allowing VMI to come to Cullowhee.

All in all, 2014 in the SoCon is gonna be loaded with either money games or a bunch of teams playing d2/d3/naia teams to make up the losses.

GO CATS!

catamount man
June 7th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I just realized it WCU will DEFINITELY get another money game due to losing TWO home games in 2014, GSU and App. WOW! GO CATS!

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I figure El Cid will add another Big South OOC game if we can find one. CCU is already on the sked for that year. Myabe we'll play CSU or PC.

Personally I don't like more than 1 FBS game per year. I know it helps with the money, but it is usually a useless exercise. I'd much prefer to schedule a FCS opponent.

kdinva
June 7th, 2013, 11:57 AM
VMI, in 2014, has Bucknell, Navy, Bowling Green away, Davidson and The Citadel at home. We'll definitely get one more OOC home game, and see whether VMI gets a total of 3, or 4 home Conf. games.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I figure El Cid will add another Big South OOC game if we can find one. CCU is already on the sked for that year. Myabe we'll play CSU or PC.

Personally I don't like more than 1 FBS game per year. I know it helps with the money, but it is usually a useless exercise. I'd much prefer to schedule a FCS opponent.

We need two more opponents "IF" we want 12 games. We already have Fla St, CCU, and Charlotte. If we could get Army, Navy, or AF in addition to Fla St. I would be ok with that for another FBS opponents. Not sure they would be willing. Also I would hate just getting one additional game with a DII or NAIA for only an 11 game season. I also would not be happy with two Big South opponents, although at least it would be a counter. Plus we will have three weak games as it is (Mercer, Charlotte, and sorry Keydets, VMI until they raise their level a bit). Don't need our SOS taking too many hits. I think we need to step out and look for an OOC game on a deal with a CAA or OVC team. Couldn't hurt to renew a short series with W&M or RIchmond.

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
We need two more opponents "IF" we want 12 games. We already have Fla St, CCU, and Charlotte. If we could get Army, Navy, or AF in addition to Fla St. I would be ok with that for another FBS opponents. Not sure they would be willing. Also I would hate just getting one additional game with a DII or NAIA for only an 11 game season. I also would not be happy with two Big South opponents, although at least it would be a counter. Plus we will have three weak games as it is (Mercer, Charlotte, and sorry Keydets, VMI until they raise their level a bit). Don't need our SOS taking too many hits. I think we need to step out and look for an OOC game on a deal with a CAA or OVC team. Couldn't hurt to renew a short series with W&M or RIchmond.

Hard to say at this point if Charlotte will be a weak game or not. This upcoming season will tell us a lot about them I think. I'd be ok with a home and home with either Richmond or W&M, too, but I think we will wind up going with whatever DI program will take a game at this point. As long as we stay away from FBS and the lower divisions I'm not really concerned about the strength of the FCS team we add. SOS shouldn't matter if you take care of all the business you need to take care of.

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
VMI, in 2014, has Bucknell, Navy, Bowling Green away, Davidson and The Citadel at home. We'll definitely get one more OOC home game, and see whether VMI gets a total of 3, or 4 home Conf. games.

What's up with Davidson in 2014? They are playing both of us that season. Hope we both stomp a hole in their a$$es.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hard to say at this point if Charlotte will be a weak game or not. This upcoming season will tell us a lot about them I think. I'd be ok with a home and home with either Richmond or W&M, too, but I think we will wind up going with whatever DI program will take a game at this point. As long as we stay away from FBS and the lower divisions I'm not really concerned about the strength of the FCS team we add. SOS shouldn't matter if you take care of all the business you need to take care of.

Normally I would agree, but I keep thinking of Lehigh at 10-1 against a very weak schedule and squeeking by a few of them. The SOCON will be viewed as weak for some time to come. Higher than the Patriot, but the concept stands. We may still be a 2-3 bid conference and the 24 team playoffs does not hurt, but I would hate to go 8-3 and sit because of a weak schedule. And I guess I am being a bit prejudice against Charlotte. I am just assuming they will suck. WIll they be an ODU or a Georgia St? Hard to say.

Sandlapper Spike
June 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Until ETSU gets back and running, circa 2015, the conference in 2014 will have 8 football playing schools. With 2014 a 12 game allowable year, looks like more than 1 FBS "money" game again for everybody.

Western already has games at South Florida and Alabama and with 7 SoCon games, that leaves THREE TBA and if I know WCU, we'll pick up ANOTHER money game. Fine, we need it. Our SoCon slate road trips will be at Furman, Wofford, El Cid for sure and UTC and Samford at home. I see us hosting Mercer and going to VMI and then when ETSU hits the slate in 2015, we'd go to JC allowing VMI to come to Cullowhee.

All in all, 2014 in the SoCon is gonna be loaded with either money games or a bunch of teams playing d2/d3/naia teams to make up the losses.

GO CATS!

ETSU won't play a SoCon schedule until 2016.

Also, the league is going to start over in terms of home/road in 2014, so it is possible teams will play consecutive home (or road) games against the same opponent in 2013-14.

Sandlapper Spike
June 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
What's up with Davidson in 2014? They are playing both of us that season. Hope we both stomp a hole in their a$$es.

I am not sure if the Davidson game at Johnson Hagood is scheduled for 2014 or 2015. I suspect it is 2015.

Saint3333
June 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM
UNCC had an advantage neither ODU or GA St. had, a year recruiting as an FBS program as of last year. They will likely be favored vs. all FCS opponents in 2014.

Apphole
June 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM
UNCC had an advantage neither ODU or GA St. had, a year recruiting as an FBS program as of last year. They will likely be favored vs. all FCS opponents in 2014.

El CID will beat them by 14+.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM
El CID will beat them by 14+.

I was thinking that initially, but I will reserve judgment until I see how they come out of the gate. But if they beat us, they should sweep the rest, except ODU. And I don't see that happening. Even if they have a recruiting head start, I can't see it paying off until 15. But we will see.

Tealblood
June 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
we play them this year in Conway not sure what to think

first thoughts are we should handle them

we play them in Charlotte next year

no way to know if they will be ODU or Ga St.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Luckily for you this year, they have Presby, G-W, and Chas So first so I think by then we will know which direction they are headed in.

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 02:44 PM

My gut tells me they will be more ODU than GSU.

rokamortis
June 7th, 2013, 03:06 PM
UNCC does seem to be more similar to ODU than GaState - but no matter how you slice it the trajectory of ODU football is a rare accomplishment. Other than Ga Southern, I'm not sure if any other startup team has gotten so good so quickly.

UNCC will have a year of practice under their belts and FBS recruits just waiting to stomp on the FCS teams.

Apphole
June 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I was thinking that initially, but I will reserve judgment until I see how they come out of the gate. But if they beat us, they should sweep the rest, except ODU. And I don't see that happening. Even if they have a recruiting head start, I can't see it paying off until 15. But we will see.

They've certainly fallen short of ASU in recruiting and y'all managed to kick our d***s in this past season. It will essentially be a team made up of sophomores exclusively, ones that only have experience playing some VERY soft competition. They're gonna struggle against top FCS teams. Especially one that runs a TO.

You know, now that I've put more thought into it, I'll take the Cit Dogs to win by 24+

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
They've certainly fallen short of ASU in recruiting and y'all managed to kick our d***s in this past season. It will essentially be a team made up of sophomores exclusively, ones that only have experience playing some VERY soft competition. They're gonna struggle against top FCS teams. Especially one that runs a TO.

You know, now that I've put more thought into it, I'll take the Cit Dogs to win by 24+

I hope so. We have our same starting QB this year, Dupree, but next year we have our #2, Miller, if he keeps the job. I still don't think he reads it as well as Dupree, but he has had some flashes of real skill every once in a while, and also in the passing department. Now if we can beat you all by 24, again.....:D

Saint3333
June 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
2007 Wofford punched in a late TD to ice the game (for the record I think they should have), and then their fans (students mostly) said same things you shouldn't say to a man twice your size to our players after the game. Sometimes players remember those things. 2008 we all know what happened.

Citadel will get App's full attention this year, but we have been known to struggle in Charleston.

walliver
June 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
UNCC does seem to be more similar to ODU than GaState - but no matter how you slice it the trajectory of ODU football is a rare accomplishment. Other than Ga Southern, I'm not sure if any other startup team has gotten so good so quickly.

UNCC will have a year of practice under their belts and FBS recruits just waiting to stomp on the FCS teams.

FAU made the semifinals in their third year.

rokamortis
June 7th, 2013, 05:32 PM
FAU made the semifinals in their third year.

Fair enough. Do you think ODU started playing a better caliber of football earlier than FAU?

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Citadel will get App's full attention this year, but we have been known to struggle in Charleston.

That isn't just an ASU thing. It's everybody (except Wofford). We are historically tough in JHS and crap on the road. Guys will disagree with me, but that win in KBH last year was our biggest road win in school history, and I am including USC and Arkansas in that list.

Sent from the center of the universe.

gomocs82
June 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM
UTC had GA Southern, ASU, and Elon at home in 2014....be interesting to see who comes to town in their place. Current OOC @Tennessee ($450,000), @Austin Peay, @Tenn Tech, & home vs GA State. Get 12 games that year....so 7 SoCon + OOC = 1 more game to schedule.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/may/28/socon-must-look-at-football-scheduling-concerns/?sportscollege

DoWe
June 7th, 2013, 07:32 PM
That isn't just an ASU thing. It's everybody (except Wofford). We are historically tough in JHS and crap on the road. Guys will disagree with me, but that win in KBH last year was our biggest road win in school history, and I am including USC and Arkansas in that list.
WOW? Assuming you meant KBS I am truly shocked. You caught a conference opponent on a bad day and embarrassed them. You beat a couple of BCS opponents in whatever years, yet still the former is a bigger road win? No way! That's giving APP too much credit.

walliver
June 7th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Fair enough. Do you think ODU started playing a better caliber of football earlier than FAU?

I think ODU has a stronger program than FAU. FAU had decent teams (playing as an independent, but lesser attendance and general support.

Saint3333
June 7th, 2013, 08:04 PM
1990, one of the most frustrating games I've seen at Citadel was in 2001. I (and moreso my wife) will miss our trip there more than any other when we leave.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 08:30 PM
WOW? Assuming you meant KBS I am truly shocked. You caught a conference opponent on a bad day and embarrassed them. You beat a couple of BCS opponents in whatever years, yet still the former is a bigger road win? No way! That's giving APP too much credit.

I partially agree with that as well. If we were comparing apples to apples it does not seem correct. But the two situations are different. Two very good Citadel teams play very well and caught a couple of seemingly strong IA teams apparently napping a bit at the wrong time, for them. We get a shot every few years at knocking one off. We play(ed) APP St year in and year out. We had not won in Boone since, well the same year we knocked off Arkansas, 1992. That was nine loses in a row in Boone. And we had only one win in Charleston during that same time. Considering App St's high caliber of late and the difficulty of playing in Boone for anyone and it makes much more sense for it to mean more. It obviously was much more important as a conference win, plus some pent up revenge. So by putting it in a slightly different perspective makes it mean a little bit more than the limelight of an FBS win. Oh yeah, and the fact that we just did not win, but humiliated them in Boone helps a bit as well.xlolx

CID1990
June 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'd take 52-28 over App in Boone over 10-3 vs Arkansas or 38-35 over the Coots any day. Caveat: it's always good to shut those USC fans up, though.

Sandlapper Spike
June 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I completely disagree.

From a national perspective, Arkansas is probably the biggest road victory in school history. From the perspective of an overwhelming majority of alums, however, the win at Williams-Brice was #1.

No conference road game compares.

CID1990
June 9th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I completely disagree.

From a national perspective, Arkansas is probably the biggest road victory in school history. From the perspective of an overwhelming majority of alums, however, the win at Williams-Brice was #1.

No conference road game compares.

Well, like I said- guys will disagree with me.

But that said, a win over a FBS team is just one DI win; no different in terms of standing from a FCS win. I agree that the USC and Arkansas wins were huge, but at the end of the day, I would rather win all my FCS games and lose my FBS money game than the other way around.

In 1990 we beat USC but we lost to UTC, ASU, Furman, a 10-7 loss to Air Force, and got whipped by GSU in the playoffs. If I could go back in time I would trade the win over USC for the loss to GSU, because we would have advanced in the playoffs. The USC win was immaterial to our overall success that year.

In 1992, for me it is a no brainer. I would gladly trade the win over Arkansas that year for a win over Youngstown State in the second round of the playoffs. Had we won that game, we would have gotten a second shot at Marshall for the national championship. Beating Arkansas that year had no bearing on our standing for the season. Had we lost, we still would have gone to the playoffs.

Beating ASU by such a wide margin in Boone was huge, IMO. It proved that we had finally turned the corner after such a long drought after the Taaffe years. We beat a traditional FCS power on their home turf, and the win had real implications in terms of the conference standings and a potential playoff berth. The win meant something.

catamount man
June 9th, 2013, 07:47 AM
After that game in Columbia weren't the Cadets vandalizing some of the SC boosters "Cockaboose" luxury boxes outside the stadium? Just something I'd heard. Couldn't imagine it got far with the liquored up Gamecock fans.

CID1990
June 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM
After that game in Columbia weren't the Cadets vandalizing some of the SC boosters "Cockaboose" luxury boxes outside the stadium? Just something I'd heard. Couldn't imagine it got far with the liquored up Gamecock fans.

That the first I have ever heard of that. We weren't even allowed on the field after the game, and WB was FULL of state troopers (probably more to deal with your average Coots fans) so I would find that VERY difficult to believe.

Sandlapper Spike
June 9th, 2013, 01:03 PM
If anything, probably the Gamecock fans were vandalizing the luxury boxes...

CID1990
June 9th, 2013, 01:32 PM
If anything, probably the Gamecock fans were vandalizing the luxury boxes...

I did see some VERY pissed USC fans on the way out of the stadium. I even saw one guy chuck his car keys right at his wife's head.

There were just too many pissed coot fans and cops around for any cadets to be vandalizing anything, and if they had it would have made the papers all over the state.