PDA

View Full Version : West Georgia getting a feel for 1AA

nothingbutjsu
September 7th, 2006, 10:08 AM
D2 and Gulf South Conference member West Georgia gets a taste of D1AA football this weekend when the Wolves take on Furman this Saturday. UWG is strongly considering moving to 1AA as soon as their new stadium is completed.

Cap'n Cat
September 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
D2 and Gulf South Conference member West Georgia gets a taste of D1AA football this weekend when the Wolves take on Furman this Saturday. UWG is strongly considering moving to 1AA as soon as their new stadium is completed.

I heard the guys at GSU talk a little about West Georgia - what's their story/history/future in football, if anyone would care to enlighten this Yankee fatass.

Thank you.

:bow: :bow:

McTailGator
September 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM

So I wonder if West Georgia be looking to be a part of the Southern, Big South, or OVC if they do go D-I?

dbackjon
September 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM
So I wonder if West Georgia be looking to be a part of the Southern, Big South, or OVC if they do go D-I?

Probably to far away for OVC. Big South would seem a good fit.

Since Georgia only has one I-AA team, and two I-A teams, it would seem logical for them to move up - lots of talent in-state.

UAalum72
September 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Since Georgia only has one I-AA team,

If you don't count Savannah St.

dbackjon
September 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM
If you don't count Savannah St.

Do you? xlolx

Yes, you are correct - SSU is in Georgia.

Cocky
September 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Probably to far away for OVC. Big South would seem a good fit.

Since Georgia only has one I-AA team, and two I-A teams, it would seem logical for them to move up - lots of talent in-state.

UWG is closer to the OVC schools than the Big South schools.

Killtoppers90
September 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Living in GA I'd love to see UWG go I-AA. As well as Valdosta State, I think those two would be good candidates.

dbackjon
September 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
UWG is closer to the OVC schools than the Big South schools.

To the Alabama schools, yes. UWG is further north than I thought - Carrollton is what, an hour from Jacksonville? Did they used to be a big rival when JSU was D-II?

Also 1 1/2 hours from Chatty - maybe the traveling partner UTC has been looking for :).

At 10,000 students - good size for I-AA!

OL FU
September 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
To the Alabama schools, yes. UWG is further north than I thought - Carrollton is what, an hour from Jacksonville? Did they used to be a big rival when JSU was D-II?

Also 1 1/2 hours from Chatty - maybe the traveling partner UTC has been looking for :).

:nono:

They have to spend at least four years in the minors (Bsouth) first:D

dbackjon
September 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM

:nono:

They have to spend at least four years in the minors (Bsouth) first:D

xlolx xlolx Is that the path the Southern Con requires? :D

Cocky
September 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM

At 10,000 students - good size for I-AA!

Yes, we were both in the Gulf South Conference.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
They are having a bit of a down year this year. However, if they move up, they are in a state that is a recruiters dream. Lots of talent to go around.

They dropped their first game to Presbyterian 10-0. However, they do have a history of IAA upsets....

nothingbutjsu
September 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Would be a great OVC fit:thumbsup: . 1 hr for Jax St. 1.5 hr from Samford. 45 min from the Atlanta airport.
I attended thier first game against Presbyterian (who is ranked in the top 10 in Div2). The had a great crowd and it also was a great game.

Hope FU doesn't beat up on them too bad.