PDA

View Full Version : We're the Mother #'ing FCS!!

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
From the Times Colonist:

Just don't call it the Football Championship Subdivision.
It's FCS.
"Nobody called the BCS the Bowl Championship Series, it was the BCS," said Patty Viverito, commissioner of both the Missouri Valley Football Conference and the Pioneer Football League. "So we're FCS."

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/in-the-fcs-huddle-fcs-will-remain-well-fcs-1.314412 (http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/in-the-fcs-huddle-fcs-will-remain-well-fcs-1.314412)

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM
From the Times Colonist:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/in-the-fcs-huddle-fcs-will-remain-well-fcs-1.314412 (http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/in-the-fcs-huddle-fcs-will-remain-well-fcs-1.314412)

I never hated I-AA. In fact, I talk to a lot of people who have no idea what I mean by FCS. I usually have to say "used to be I-AA"

Laker
June 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I never hated I-AA. In fact, I talk to a lot of people who have no idea what I mean by FCS. I usually have to say "used to be I-AA"

I preferred 1-AA. I don't really know why they changed it.

DFW HOYA
June 7th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I preferred 1-AA. I don't really know why they changed it.

I still use the term because to many casual football fans, FCS sounds like a federal acronym.

Use what you want. It's a free country.

Laker
June 7th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I still use the term because to many casual football fans, FCS sounds like a federal acronym.

Use what you want. It's a free country.:D

But you're probably on a watch list because you are in the Patriot League. Be careful ;)

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I'm personally a fan of DI-AA.

In other news, I just realized that Patty V is the Commish of the Pioneer League aswell. :o

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I'm personally a fan of DI-AA.

In other news, I just realized that Patty V is the Commish of the Pioneer League aswell. :o

I know, right? She's also something like the deputy commish of the MVC. Guess those aren't very hard jobs.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 7th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Use what you want. It's a free country.

Making that statement on this board 4 maybe 5 years ago would have gotten your IP address banned and house burned down! xlolx

Professor Chaos
June 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Damn straight! Farm Credit Services in the hizzy!

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I'll be honest, I never warmed to FCS. I still like the old I-AA.

Sader87
June 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
While I prefer 1-AA as well, I think the NCAA goofed from the get-go....they should have gone with "Division 1" (today's FBS) and "Division 1-A" (today's FCS)...this would have led to a lot less confusion over the years imho.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Man, it's an overwhelming majority so far for those that liked 1AA better. I always thought the name change was stupid and liked the former name way better.

Lehigh'98
June 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Count me in. Tired of having to say it used to be 1-AA..

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
While I prefer 1-AA as well, I think the NCAA goofed from the get-go....they should have gone with "Division 1" (today's FBS) and "Division 1-A" (today's FCS)...this would have led to a lot less confusion over the years imho.

I like this monkier the most.

Catatonic
June 7th, 2013, 11:06 AM
:D

But you're probably on a watch list because you are in the Patriot League. Be careful ;)

And now you are probably on the same list for disrespecting Big Bro.

Now that I think about it, I was probably just added. Maybe we can all share a cell at the Gulag.

catamount man
June 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I still say I-AA. Always have hated "FCS". It came about basically because the I-AA bigwigs were tired of being "inferior" or some other butthurt and the NCAA caved in. GO CATS!

MarkyMark
June 7th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Just pick D1AA or FCS and stick with it. I hope they never rebrand with a third name, it took a long time for sports journalist to start using the FCS name.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:11 PM
You guys are not making any sense at all!!!!

FCS is DI
DI-AA is DI-AA, not DI

You want to be something other than DI? Really? You think that's good for your basketball, baseball, golf, wresting, track teams? Really? Think about what you are doing before you say that going back to DI-AA is a good idea. Very bad idea, IMO. Do you have any understandinig why it was done in the first place?

The problem, IMO, is that you hear people talk about FCS, and not "DI FCS". There should not be an utterance or Logo of FCS without DI attached to it. I have sent numerous emails pointing out that the FCS championship did not have DI in the Logo. Again, "DI FCS" should always, always be said in the same sentence. Need to dispell that the teams playing DI FCS football are indeed all DI instituations.

Surprisingly, the biggest hinderance to the DI FCS brand is DI FCS football fans (like many posters here) who think that a return to DI-AA would actually be a good thing. Ughhhh!

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM

FCS is DI
DI-AA is DI-AA, not DI

You want to be something other than DI? Really? You think that's good for your basketball, baseball, golf, wresting, track teams? Really? Think about what you are doing before you say that going back to DI-AA is a good idea. Very bad idea, IMO. Do you have any understandinig why it was done in the first place?

Oh please enlighten us!!!

I would prefer D1-63 and D1-85 myself. :D

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 12:28 PM

FCS is DI
DI-AA is DI-AA, not DI

BS, that old line of reasoning doesn't wash. I've been around it a long time and know that it didn't make a bit of difference. I don't care that it is called D1 I know what the lecvel of football is and anybody that doesn't know doesn't care anyway.

All this dumbass talk about re-branding etc. is just absolute crap. It's a way to make some marketing guys think they are doing something.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM

xlolx

Indeed, enlighten us dullards!

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM
BS, that old line of reasoning doesn't wash. I've been around it a long time and know that it didn't make a bit of difference. I don't care that it is called D1 I know what the lecvel of football is and anybody that doesn't know doesn't care anyway.

All this dumbass talk about re-branding etc. is just absolute crap. It's a way to make some marketing guys think they are doing something.

It's what we have in June. :)

I agree, FCS is regional. Bottom 5 FBS is regional. Only the BCS is national and it doesn't really matter what it's called. I just think that the number designation is better than some letters.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
So, let me see if I understand . . . you want to call Division I institutions that play Divison I football something other than DI? Have you thought at all why Sub-Divisons are now used by the NCAA?

Who is the enlightened one? Certainly not you! You'd better go back and rethink that one Ursus before you set the FCS back another 20 years.

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 12:37 PM
So, let me see if I understand . . . you want to call Division I institutions that play Divison I football something other than DI? Have you thought at all why Sub-Divisons are now used by the NCAA?

Who is the enlightened one? Certainly not you! You'd better go back and rethink that one Ursus before you set the FCS back another 20 years.

Are you being serious??? xeyebrowx

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM

So, you want to go back to DI-AA (which is not DI), but you'd prefer D1-63 & D1-85? Really! Do you have a hard time deciding what to order off the menu? It would seem so.

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
So, you want to go back to DI-AA (which is not DI), but you'd prefer D1-63 & D1-85? Really! Do you have a hard time deciding what to order off the menu? It would seem so.

You better go buy a clue! xcrazyx

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Are you being serious??? xeyebrowx

Damn right I'm serious. If you want the public to think of your school as something other than DI, then hell, bring back DI-AA . . . what a stupid idea.

Mr. C
June 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM

FCS is DI
DI-AA is DI-AA, not DI

The problem, IMO, is that you hear people talk about FCS, and not "DI FCS". There should not be an utterance or Logo of FCS without DI attached to it. I have sent numerous emails pointing out that the FCS championship did not have DI in the Logo. Again, "DI FCS" should always, always be said in the same sentence. Need to dispell that the teams playing DI FCS football are indeed all DI instituations.

Surprisingly, the biggest hinderance to the DI FCS brand is DI FCS football fans (like many posters here) who think that a return to DI-AA would actually be a good thing. Ughhhh!

The whole name-change thing always had more to do with the other sports than it did football. People would recruit against you and say "You don't want to play basketball at somewhere like Montana, or Furman, they are Division I-AA."

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Damn right I'm serious. If you want the public to think of your school as something other than DI, then hell, bring back DI-AA . . . what a stupid idea.

You can not be dumb enough to think that the general public thinks FCS is D1 when they did not think DI-AA was D1...you just can't be.

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
The whole name-change thing always had more to do with the other sports than it did football. People would recruit against you and say "You don't want to play basketball at somewhere like Montana, or Furman, they are FCS."
Recruit: "FCS?"

Recruiter: "used to be 1-AA"

Recruit: "You are not recruiting me for Football are you?"

Recruiter: "Well no but..."

MplsBison
June 7th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'll be honest, I never warmed to FCS. I still like the old I-AA.

Yep.

In lay discussions I refer to NDSU playing football in "one-double-A".

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:56 PM
You can not be dumb enough to think that the general public thinks FCS is D1 when they did not think DI-AA was D1...you just can't be.

xlolx

Do you not understand DI-AA is a Divison, a different Divison than DI. If DI FCS, is always presented as DI, then the general public will start to understand. FCS by itself is still better than DI-AA which is toxic to the other sports for DI institutions.

You clearly have said that you think DI-AA is a good idea; Therefore I have concluded that you are ignorant on this issue. My thought on that does not change when you try to drag FCS to the same level as DI-AA. My stance is that FCS should not be used independent of DI. It should alwyas be shown as "DI FCS". If you read the article, the DI FCS presidents agree with me.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Recruit: "FCS?"

Recruiter: "used to be 1-AA"

Recruit: "You are not recruiting me for Football are you?"

Recruiter: "Well no but..."

Suprisingly, I'll give the intelligence nod to the 18 year old recruit over you. I think they know and respect DI FCS football.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Do you not understand DI-AA is a Divison, a different Divison than DI. If DI FCS, is always presented as DI, then the general public will start to understand. FCS by itself is still better than DI-AA which is toxic to the other sports for DI institutions.

You clearly have said that you think DI-AA is a good idea; Therefore I have concluded that you are ignorant on this issue. My thought on that does not change when you try to drag FCS to the same level as DI-AA. My stance is that FCS should not be used independent of DI. It should alwyas be shown as "DI FCS". If you read the article, the DI FCS presidents agree with me.

Who's dragging? It already is.

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
xrotatehx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Suprisingly, I'll give the intelligence nod to the 18 year old recruit over you. I think they know and respect DI FCS football.

It doesn't concern me who you give the nod to as I don't respect your thought process as it is. You are trying to tell me that this duck is not a duck when it is the exact same as it was before. I'd have to be a moron to buy what you are selling and I'm not doing it.

Work on a better argument.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
It doesn't concern me who you give the nod to as I don't respect your thought process as it is. You are trying to tell me that this duck is not a duck when it is the exact same as it was before. I'd have to be a moron to buy what you are selling and I'm not doing it.

I'm saying that the instituations that play FCS football meet all the acedemic requirements of DI in the same exact way that any FBS school does. And you are trying to tell me that this football is played in a different Division, DI-AA, and is something less than DI where FBS football is played.

I care what it is called, and want it referred to as DI. Referring to our divison as DI is accurate and important to me, while you could care less. Why would you, who could care less, care if it is just kept as DI FCS? Why would you argue to change it?

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 02:18 PM

The Presidents and ADs of DI FCS universities aparently agree with me. The last thing they want to see is a return to a Divison name other than DI. Try telling them a duck is a duck and they have a poor argument. They would say that it does matter.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I'm saying that the instituations that play FCS football meet all the acedemic requirements of DI in the same exact way that any FBS school does. And you are trying to tell me that this football is played in a different Division, DI-AA, and is something less than DI where FBS football is played.

I care what it is called, and want it referred to as DI. Referring to our divison as DI is accurate and important to me, while you could care less. Why would you, who could care less, care if it is just kept as DI FCS? Why would you argue to change it?

I don't care that you, or other people are "marks" on the midway for any carny that comes along. FCS is a subdivision, 1AA was a subdivision. Nothing changed.

I liked IAA better and I don't give a rat's ass if that in some way doesn't sit with you. Enjoy the cotton candy.xthumbsupx

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 02:36 PM
So what are they going to do when someone asks what FCS stands for? xchinscratchx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM
The Presidents and ADs of DI FCS universities aparently agree with me. The last thing they want to see is a return to a Divison name other than DI. Try telling them a duck is a duck and they have a poor argument. They would say that it does matter.

So what? It doesn't mean I have to walk up and buy into some dumb name change game? Show me how the label change has improved anything and I will start to see the light of the thing.

It makes no difference because it is what it has been since 1979 and anybody that cares know that.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM
So what are they going to do when someone asks what FCS stands for? xchinscratchx

I guess if you just change "subdivision" (there's that word again!) to "Series" it will all be new and different.

Bisonator
June 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I guess if you just change "subdivision" (there's that word again!) to "Series" it will all be new and different. xawesomex

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I don't care that you, or other people are "marks" on the midway for any carny that comes along. FCS is a subdivision, 1AA was a subdivision. Nothing changed.

I liked IAA better and I don't give a rat's ass if that in some way doesn't sit with you. Enjoy the cotton candy.xthumbsupx

Technically, DI-AA is a Division, different than DI, and differnt than DI-A. It is not a subdivision . . . not that you would care.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 03:39 PM
So what? It doesn't mean I have to walk up and buy into some dumb name change game? Show me how the label change has improved anything and I will start to see the light of the thing.

It makes no difference because it is what it has been since 1979 and anybody that cares know that.

It was changed becasue FBS and FCS are both DI, and both play in the same Division. They are two Subdivisions of DI. These are things that Presidents and ADs care about, and the reason that the name was changed.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Technically, DI-AA is a Division, different than DI, and differnt than DI-A. It is not a subdivision . . . not that you would care.

Actually, technically, it IS a sub-division. Hence the terms, Division I-AA (I =one), and, Division I-A (I still = one) or Football Championship Subdivision and Football Bowl Subdivision. They are both sub-divisions of Division I. Sub-division meaning, not the whole part. How you or anyone actually views this terminology, through whatever inferiority laden glasses they may have, is not really relevant to the terminology.

CID1990
June 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Subdivisions are bad. Geddy Lee says so.

URMite
June 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Personally I prefer NCAA and BCS, but now that "BCS" is phased out, I'll just use College and Corporate...

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Personally I prefer NCAA and BCS, but now that "BCS" is phased out, I'll just use College and Corporate...

Perfect! I love it.

Herder
June 7th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Actually, technically, it IS a sub-division. Hence the terms, Division I-AA (I =one), and, Division I-A (I still = one) or Football Championship Subdivision and Football Bowl Subdivision. They are both sub-divisions of Division I. Sub-division meaning, not the whole part. How you or anyone actually views this terminology, through whatever inferiority laden glasses they may have, is not really relevant to the terminology.

No, the NCAA does not agree with you.

Per the NCAA, the following are all Divisions within NCAA Division I athletics:
DI
DI-A
DI-AA
DI-AAA

These Divisions were eliminated in favor of Sub-divisions of DI to be referrenced for football only:
FBS
FCS

You need to follow the NCAA's definitions, not your own.

Bisonoline
June 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM

FCS is DI
DI-AA is DI-AA, not DI

You do realize that the majority of football fans dont know what FCS is?

ngineer
June 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM

I agree. I find myself 'explaining' FCS all the time by defining it as the 'former I-AA'.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 08:39 PM
No, the NCAA does not agree with you.

Per the NCAA, the following are all Divisions within NCAA Division I athletics:
DI
DI-A
DI-AA
DI-AAA

These Divisions were eliminated in favor of Sub-divisions of DI to be referrenced for football only:
FBS
FCS

You need to follow the NCAA's definitions, not your own.

Wow, can't remember D1 AAA. What football conference, since we are talking about football, was in D1AAA? Is that made up? How about a link to NCAA football reference? I been following IAA football since 1980 and it eludes me.

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I agree. I find myself 'explaining' FCS all the time by defining it as the 'former I-AA'.

The goons on ESPN used to use that term a lot. I have not heard it lately though. I use it myself occasionally when all else fails.

I think most educated fans of FBS know. It is the casual FBS fans that come out the woodwork when their team is doing well that have no idea what it is.

Mountaineer
June 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Wow, can't remember D1 AAA. What football conference, since we are talking about football, was in D1AAA? Is that made up? How about a link to NCAA football reference? I been following IAA football since 1980 and it eludes me.

I-AAA is what schools in Division I that do not offer football (think Providence, Seton Hall) are called. It's not really an official term.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent rundown with all the differences and changes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_%28NCAA%29).

ElCid
June 7th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I-AAA is what schools in Division I that do not offer football (think Providence, Seton Hall) are called. It's not really an official term.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent rundown with all the differences and changes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I_%28NCAA%29).

But that was my point, it is not a FOOTBALL designation. I guess in a round about way it is as a lack of football, but not a designation for schools with teams so it is irrelevant to his position. Thanks though.

appsfan
June 7th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I use FCS as it is the correct terminology but I often have to translate it to 1 Double A which most people understand. I think this is due to the fact that high school football is broken down to 1A, 2A, 3A... Like someone said earlier, call it whatever you prefer and works for you.

MSUBobcat
June 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM

xbangxxbangxxbangx

It takes a special kind of short bus rider to say that DI-AA isn't a subdivision of DI, but FCS is. The level we play at is, and has been, a SUBDIVISION of DI for a long time (1978). I know you will say that you want it called "DI FCS" but that is the exact same thing as it was. But they didn't take your advice and dropped the "DI" part, making it confusing to the casual observer. Not sure how you spin that it's "toxic" to other sports, since they don't have subdivisions and therefore just call themselves "DI". Football subdivisions have little influence on someone being recruited for BB or golf or tiddlywinks. You take the highest level of competition offered by a school that feels right to you. Schools like Montana aren't losing recruits in non-football sports to Syracuse because UM is Big Sky and Syracuse is Big East. I'd be shocked to learn of ANY athlete in another sport who turned down an offer solely based on the fact that the FOOTBALL team plays FCS.

GoAgs72
June 8th, 2013, 12:14 AM
If FBS goes to a playoff system we can have D1 FCS formerly FBS and D1 FCS always FCS.

Wallace
June 8th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I-AA, 1-AA, DI-AA, 1AA, D1AA, IAA are all names people on this thread have used to describe what has been called the FCS for years. Give it up guys. If you can't see the problem in all your misnomers then possibly the problem is you? Obviously FCS is a better (and easier spelled) moniker.

JUST SAY YES TO THE FCS
The highest level of NCAA Championship Football

Dakotaguy74
June 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Since the BCS is dead let's just start using that instead of FCS. Casual fans won't know the difference. Some actual TV broadcasts might happen and all the doom sayers about FCS football dying will be proven right. It's a win-win-win.

Herder
June 8th, 2013, 09:00 AM
During the DI-AA days, I would commonly hear the DI-AA Label attached to the entire universitites incorrectly. Therefore the common unintelligent person would say, what division does James Madison compete in? I think that school is DI-AA. So one would assume that they compete for the DI-AA title in baseball. Basketball. Track. Golf, etc. DI-AA did not stop with football.

Like it or not, emphsizing Sub-divisions and having a single division, DI, will help the situation. It wouldnt hurt if the idiots here would get on board.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 8th, 2013, 09:08 AM
During the DI-AA days, I would commonly hear the DI-AA Label attached to the entire universitites incorrectly. Therefore the common unintelligent person would say, what division does James Madison compete in? I think that school is DI-AA. So one would assume that they compete for the DI-AA title in baseball. Basketball. Track. Golf, etc. DI-AA did not stop with football.

Like it or not, emphsizing Sub-divisions and having a single division, DI, will help the situation. It wouldnt hurt if the idiots here would get on board.

Having lived in a BCS town for 4 years, I can honestly tell you, they still think that no matter what it's called. In fact, they still only understand I-AA.

I do not know why or how that is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Herder
June 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I can assure you, they did not understand DI-AA either. It was just as convieniently misinterpreted as FCS is. At least when someone asks what division FCS is, you can say DI.

DI-AA will always be something less than DI, it might as well be DII. Not sure why everyone wants to cling to DI-AA label, it doesnt do anything positive imo.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I can assure you, they did not understand DI-AA either. It was just as convieniently misinterpreted as FCS is. At least when someone asks what division FCS is, you can say DI.

DI-AA will always be something less than DI, it might as well be DII. Not sure why everyone wants to cling to DI-AA label, it doesnt do anything positive imo.

No, they don't. Some don't even consider the lower 5 FBS division I. You have to get by this little man complex.

mmiller_34
June 8th, 2013, 10:37 AM

I'm so annoyed. D-IAA could not be D-II because all of our schools compete in standardized D-I Championships in ALL other sports but football. We are D-I institutions. March Madness is for everyone.

Football has subdivisions to make it financially reasonable to field a football team for those D-I schools wishing to do so. I hate it when people try to stir it up as one division. I don't even care if your talking about fan perception. Everyone knew Murray State had a great basketball team the past two years and no one cared that they play football in the 2nd tier subdivision of D-I.

You really are mixing everything up. D-IAA is lesser than D-IA but it is not lesser than D-I because that term applies to all sports but football. If I was at a computer I would continue this rant about you and your uncomplicated train of thought that cant handle the complexities that make up D-I athletics. But I'm about to throw my smartphone at this wall so I'm done.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
No, they don't. Some don't even consider the lower 5 FBS division I. You have to get by this little man complex.

The little man complex explains it exactly.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM
The little man complex explains it exactly.

I mean seriously. I grew up in Fargo, graduated from NDSU and I couldn't be more proud of both. I catch a bit of crap from people around here, mostly because there are more people in this city than in all of ND but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Embrace it.

IBleedYellow
June 8th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I mean seriously. I grew up in Fargo, graduated from NDSU and I couldn't be more proud of both. I catch a bit of crap from people around here, mostly because there are more people in this city than in all of ND but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Embrace it.

One thing that I love about the Air Force: When I'm at other bases, people KNOW the North Dakota work ethic, and when I say I am from Fargo, I'm given tasks that I probably shouldn't be for the new Sgt around. When someone finds out I'm from Fargo, people expect a good work ethic. I LOVE that, and I'll be damned if I let them down without trying.

The Cats
June 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
http://www.csnbbs.com/html/funnies/general/mrt.jpg

ElCid
June 9th, 2013, 07:35 AM
One thing that I love about the Air Force: When I'm at other bases, people KNOW the North Dakota work ethic, and when I say I am from Fargo, I'm given tasks that I probably shouldn't be for the new Sgt around. When someone finds out I'm from Fargo, people expect a good work ethic. I LOVE that, and I'll be damned if I let them down without trying.

I am sure ND is a wonderful place. But after having been to Minot and Grand Forks a few times (in Winter), I can't help but think how lucky I was not to have been stationed there.;)

NoDak 4 Ever
June 9th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I am sure ND is a wonderful place. But after having been to Minot and Grand Forks a few times (in Winter), I can't help but think how lucky I was not to have been stationed there.;)

1. Minot and GF - ugh.

2. The cold is something you get used to. I know that sounds crazy but I love it.

ElCid
June 9th, 2013, 07:39 AM
1. Minot and GF - ugh.

2. The cold is something you get used to. I know that sounds crazy but I love it.

It was -43 at the Forks with a wind chill of -50. I had some exposed skin for about 30 minutes out in it and it hurt for hours afterward! Ugh is right.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 9th, 2013, 07:46 AM
It was -43 at the Forks with a wind chill of -50. I had some exposed skin for about 30 minutes out in it and it hurt for hours afterward! Ugh is right.

Those places both suck on a nice day. You got lucky with the wind. Usually with that air temp the WC is south of -70 with the wind.

darell1976
June 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM

I am sure this place would have warmed you up....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/rea.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/rea.jpg.html)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/REA2-2.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/REA2-2.jpg.html)

DJKyR0
June 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM
"DI A" and "D1 Gold"

MplsBison
June 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm so annoyed. D-IAA could not be D-II because all of our schools compete in standardized D-I Championships in ALL other sports but football. We are D-I institutions. March Madness is for everyone.

Football has subdivisions to make it financially reasonable to field a football team for those D-I schools wishing to do so. I hate it when people try to stir it up as one division. I don't even care if your talking about fan perception. Everyone knew Murray State had a great basketball team the past two years and no one cared that they play football in the 2nd tier subdivision of D-I.

You really are mixing everything up. D-IAA is lesser than D-IA but it is not lesser than D-I because that term applies to all sports but football. If I was at a computer I would continue this rant about you and your uncomplicated train of thought that cant handle the complexities that make up D-I athletics. But I'm about to throw my smartphone at this wall so I'm done.

Why can't schools that want to field a varsity, Division I football team at a reasonable cost do that under a single umbrella of "Division I Football"?

Teams can choose to spend as little money as they please on "Division I" basketball programs, it would seem. Have you seen some of the literally high school gyms in which these "Division I" teams play?

Tribal
June 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM
KISS:

FBS - D1
FCS - D2
DII - D3
DIII- D4
anything else- D5

CID1990
June 10th, 2013, 02:18 PM
KISS:

FBS - D1
FCS - D2
DII - D3
DIII- D4
anything else- D5

I could get on board with this.

danefan
June 10th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I could get on board with this.

Me too.

MarkyMark
June 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM
KISS:

FBS - D1
FCS - D2
DII - D3
DIII- D4
anything else- D5

I don't think 3 divisions of football should change names. How about FBS changes name to reflect what it really is: Semi Pro Football League or the SPL

FBS - SPL
FCS - D1
D2 - D2
D3 - D3

ElCid
June 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think 3 divisions of football should change names. How about FBS changes name to reflect what it really is: Semi Pro Football League or the SPL

FBS - $PL
FCS - D1
D2 - D2
D3 - D3

Made it even better.

Bisonoline
June 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I find it funny that the only people not complaining about the division names are the schools from the FBS. Its seems that the FCS folks have a little brother complex. Saying your D1 make your pecker bigger? Really? We arent on the same level as the big boys. So why the heart ache?

MSUBobcat
June 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I find it funny that the only people not complaining about the division names are the schools from the FBS. Its seems that the FCS folks have a little brother complex. Saying your D1 make your pecker bigger? Really? We arent on the same level as the big boys. So why the heart ache?

xoutofrepx

I feel the same way. All other sports compete at the DI level. I know who we are for football and I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm ok with mainstream media not knowing $h!t about FCS. People that want to know it, do and are fairly knowledgeable about it. If they'd rather watch the semi pros, more power to them.

Side note: Anyone know how many people you have to rep before you can rep the same person? Got the same "spread rep around" message for ursus earlier today.xconfusedx

ursus arctos horribilis
June 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM

I think most fans on here actually agree with this.