PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh/Villanova Preview Up

Lehigh Football Nation
September 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
My G--, I'm tired. Must sleep....

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

ngineer
September 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Based on last week's performance, Villanova's 'credible' performance against a decent UCF, and home field to the 'cats, one cannot disagree with your call. Either way, I see it being a very close game that will be decided by one score. Turnovers/mistakes will be the difference, as opposed to one team or the other running roughshod. I we hope you're wrong on this one, and I sense that if Morgan is back, even in a limited role on the sideline, that can have a boost to the team's psyche.
Lehigh 27, Villanova 24.

carney2
September 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I had this one penciled in as a Lehigh gimme up until about a month ago when I flip-flopped. Now I am totally confused. Anyway, now that the 10-1 season that I always wish for you guys is down the drain, 9-2 looks doable. Go Squawks!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Am I the only person worried about this game for Lehigh? I am hoping that this won't be the case, but I'm having a hard time seeing the "W".

LUHawker
September 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Am I the only person worried about this game for Lehigh? I am hoping that this won't be the case, but I'm having a hard time seeing the "W".

No, not at all, but I think your blog highlighted it well. The Lehigh-Albany didn't really enlighten us as to Lehigh this year. New head coach, new OC, new DC, crappy weather, new offensive focus (running attack), new defensive scheme (3-4), absence of best defensive player and so on. Lehigh was a solid team last year with many of the same players so it is difficult to conclude that all of a sudden the team is untalented or in disarray. Sedale has real talent, but there are lots of questions on both sides and last week's game didn't provide any answers. Villanova has many of the same questions, but without the coaching staff change. VU is a big game in my opinion, but as we Lehigh fans learned last year, if you are going to lose, let it be to an OOC team. Lafayette and Colgate each lost 2 of their total 3 losses to OOCs, but Lehigh lost its second to a PL team, which left LU without a chair when the music stopped. I think if Lehigh beats VU it is a real statement game, similar to Lafayette's victories over Richmond the past two years. Even with a loss, however, the key is to win the PL.

carney2
September 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I know that it's early in the season, but you seem to have lost your copy of The Optimist's Dictionary of Football Acronyms. If yours were handy you would find that FANS stands for

Foggy
And
Non-objective
Sightedness

Still, your compatriots have a point. You are merely a "'dog," (as in underdog) and not hopelessly overmatched.

Pard94
September 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I'm just not seeing it. I hate Villanova maybe more than I hate Lehigh (which is saying something). I want the PL to win but it just seems like a reach. I certainly don't see Lehigh using this game to straighten out the QB play and therefore, I don't see Lehigh scoring a lot of points. I think they take it on the chin. Nova wins 38-10.

danefan
September 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Us Albany fans are rooting for Lehigh to run the table. Go Lehigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUHawker
September 7th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'm just not seeing it. I hate Villanova maybe more than I hate Lehigh (which is saying something). I want the PL to win but it just seems like a reach. I certainly don't see Lehigh using this game to straighten out the QB play and therefore, I don't see Lehigh scoring a lot of points. I think they take it on the chin. Nova wins 38-10.

How would you see Lafayette fairing against Villanova? I ask because, even though LC got to the playoffs last year, it took a last minute victory against a solid Lehigh team to get there. LC and LU were pretty evenly matched. Assuming not enormous changes to personnel to either club (obviously there has been some), it seems to me that if you think LU gets knocked around, you'd prognosticate a similar result for LC.

carney2
September 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM
How would you see Lafayette fairing against Villanova? I ask because, even though LC got to the playoffs last year, it took a last minute victory against a solid Lehigh team to get there. LC and LU were pretty evenly matched. Assuming not enormous changes to personnel to either club (obviously there has been some), it seems to me that if you think LU gets knocked around, you'd prognosticate a similar result for LC.

A I don't agree with 94's prediction of a Nova blowout.

B Tavani gets his troops to run thru walls for games like this. Lembo was lucky to keep his guys awake. The jury is still out on Coen, but I'm betting that he's closer to Tavani than to Lembo.

C Lafayette 28, Nova 21

Pard94
September 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Good point I suppose. I would argue, however, that I think Lafayette is a good margin better than Lehigh this year. Not necessarily bacause of significant on field changes. I think a head coaching change is a huge shift for any team. it basically demands that your most reliable players (namely juniors and seniors) change drastically everything they have worked hard to learn over the last 3 years. Not just x's an o's but philosophy, work ethic, etc. If Lafayette had perfomred a little bit better at the QB spot last week I would have predicted Lafayette to beat Nova by 10. As is, I think Lafayette wins a close one...7 or less (assuming it doesn't monsoon).

LUHawker
September 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Good point I suppose. I would argue, however, that I think Lafayette is a good margin better than Lehigh this year. Not necessarily bacause of significant on field changes. I think a head coaching change is a huge shift for any team. it basically demands that your most reliable players (namely juniors and seniors) change drastically everything they have worked hard to learn over the last 3 years. Not just x's an o's but philosophy, work ethic, etc. If Lafayette had perfomred a little bit better at the QB spot last week I would have predicted Lafayette to beat Nova by 10. As is, I think Lafayette wins a close one...7 or less (assuming it doesn't monsoon).

So, purely using the transitive property, if you think LC defeats VU by 7 and Lehigh loses to VU by :eek: 28, then you'd predict an LC over LU victory by somewhere in the neighborhood of a 35 point margin? :eek: Putting the Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry aside for a second, it still sounds to me that maybe some LC folks are getting a little too big for their britches.

carney2
September 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
C'mon guys. We are edging ever so slightly toward a lack of civility here. All of us recognize that we were first introduced to this site by Mr. Homer and that a little "Hurray for our side" goes with the territory. Besides, we have drifted a fer piece from the topic of this thread, which is LFN's preview of the upcoming Lehigh @ Villanova game. By the way, nice job as usual, Chuck.

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
C'mon guys. We are edging ever so slightly toward a lack of civility here. All of us recognize that we were first introduced to this site by Mr. Homer and that a little "Hurray for our side" goes with the territory. Besides, we have drifted a fer piece from the topic of this thread, which is LFN's preview of the upcoming Lehigh @ Villanova game. By the way, nice job as usual, Chuck.

Carney, if you think this thread is lacking civility, I would suggest you are a bit of a hot house flower (wilting in less than perfet conditions). I, in no way, am trying to be anything other than civil. I think we are discussing an interesting hypothetical situation. no harm, no foul.

Lehigh Dude, the thing is...you can't put the Rivalry aside. I predict Lafayette will win The Game but by three points or less, complete with all of the obligatory last minute heroics. Shall we say LC 10 - Lehigh 9. Just enough for all of you Lehigh fans to jump off the Mountain when it is all said and done.:smiley_wi

LUHawker
September 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Carney, if you think this thread is lacking civility, I would suggest you are a bit of a hot house flower (wilting in less than perfet conditions). I, in no way, am trying to be anything other than civil. I think we are discussing an interesting hypothetical situation. no harm, no foul.

Lehigh Dude, the thing is...you can't put the Rivalry aside. I predict Lafayette will win The Game but by three points or less, complete with all of the obligatory last minute heroics. Shall we say LC 10 - Lehigh 9. Just enough for all of you Lehigh fans to jump off the Mountain when it is all said and done.:smiley_wi

I think I've matured beyond the "Lehigh Dude" stage of life, but nonetheless, I think we finally have gotten to a closer view of reality/parity/whatever, regarding LU, LC.

Onward to LU-VU. I think Lehigh plays a nice game and scores a close upset victory over Villanova. Reflecting back on 2005, Lehigh didn't open the season particularly well last year and played a very solid game at UD ( a much tougher venue than VU), so I'm not placing a lot of weight on the Albany game. Also, I think Lehigh fans will almost equal VU fans in the stands so home field won't be a big advantage.

Pard94
September 8th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think I've matured beyond the "Lehigh Dude" stage of life, but nonetheless, I think we finally have gotten to a closer view of reality/parity/whatever, regarding LU, LC.

Onward to LU-VU. I think Lehigh plays a nice game and scores a close upset victory over Villanova. Reflecting back on 2005, Lehigh didn't open the season particularly well last year and played a very solid game at UD ( a much tougher venue than VU), so I'm not placing a lot of weight on the Albany game. Also, I think Lehigh fans will almost equal VU fans in the stands so home field won't be a big advantage.

Well I agree that VU's home field advantage is marginal at best. And, hey, I'm no Jimmy The Greek. Maybe I'm wrong. if so, I will give you full props and adjust all future predictions accrodingly. I just don't see it at this point. Best of luck though. I may just hate Nova enough to root for you guys.

LUHawker
September 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Well I agree that VU's home field advantage is marginal at best. And, hey, I'm no Jimmy The Greek. Maybe I'm wrong. if so, I will give you full props and adjust all future predictions accrodingly. I just don't see it at this point. Best of luck though. I may just hate Nova enough to root for you guys.

This is one of those odd times, where a victory by your mortal enemy over a team from a heavy-weight conference can help you and the league. Unless there are serious playoff implications, all of us PLers should pull for our league brethren to upend A-10 teams.

carney2
September 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Carney, I would suggest you are a bit of a hot house flower

I've been called worse - and frequently - by my wife's relatives. That's not the half of it. You should hear what they say behind my back.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This is one of those odd times, where a victory by your mortal enemy over a team from a heavy-weight conference can help you and the league. Unless there are serious playoff implications, all of us PLers should pull for our league brethren to upend A-10 teams.

I would want to see Lehigh win vs. Nova, just like I wanted Lehigh to beat Delaware last year. However, I will not hesitate to laugh if Lehigh blows a close one like vs. UD.

That said, it will be hard for Lehigh to win if they have yet to make adjustments. The field will be better so we should see maximum performance by both teams.

Lafayette vs. Villanova? That'd be nice.. should happen.. but hasn't since 1922 or 1923. Don't know why... I think it would be a really close one.

And as far as I'm concerned, we have no real advantage over Lehigh when it comes to The Game. If LU is 1-10 (yeah unlikely I know) and LC has a high win mark, we should still be lucky to escape with a win.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'll throw out my prediction:

VU 28
LU 14
but it will be 21-14 late into the 4th, until Nova scores a go-ahead TD.

I think Nova is a lot better than a lot of other people do. Nova's offense is as good as anyone's in the A-10 this year with Burroughs back and a fantastic o-line. Burroughs was better than the UCF QB last week, and should be an all A-10 performer this year. If the defense can stop some people, Nova will sneak up on a lot of teams. I'm looking forward to a great game tomorrow night.

ngineer
September 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Well, as much as a 'homer' Lafayette people think Morning Call sportswriter Keith Groller is, today he picks Villanova to beat Lehigh, possibly in overtime by a 30-24 score. His take is almost like hoping for the 'moral victory'--i.e. Lehigh should be hoping at best to make a good showing despite the fact they will probably lose.
A 'real' homer would have Lehigh roaring back from last week's debacle with a vengeance and winning by 3 scores!:D ;)

carney2
September 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Well, as much as a 'homer' Lafayette people think Morning Call sportswriter Keith Groller is, today he picks Villanova to beat Lehigh, possibly in overtime by a 30-24 score. His take is almost like hoping for the 'moral victory'--i.e. Lehigh should be hoping at best to make a good showing despite the fact they will probably lose.
A 'real' homer would have Lehigh roaring back from last week's debacle with a vengeance and winning by 3 scores!:D ;)

It is duly noted that even Homer Groller has fallen off the bandwagon this week. Can't be a good sign.

Pard4Life
September 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM

But still... the fact that he picks Lehigh to lose in OT and give Villanova a heck of a time down the wire is evidence that he still has an undoubtable homer mentality. I bet he picked Lehigh to win and his editor made him change it... xcoffeex