PDA

View Full Version : ETSU's Next Football Coach (Episode 2)?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 5th, 2013, 12:34 PM
He needs no introduction. His record speaks for itself.

This being said, I nominate Jerry Moore.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/108350/moore-still-wants-to-coach

catamount man
June 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
One comment indicated Dale Jones has accepted the ETSU job?

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
One comment indicated Dale Jones has accepted the ETSU job?

If so, ETSU might be in for a rocky start.

walliver
June 5th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Is Brian van Gorder available?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Meme Alert.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/300x300/38447306.jpg

SpiritCymbal
June 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Leipold

ETSUfan1
June 5th, 2013, 01:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Leipold

I'm now hearing Leipold is out. A new name to look at is Carl Torbush.

I'm not really excited about hiring coaches that are pushing 70 or are over 70 in Moore's case. Our new coach is going to have to be very active and visible in the community over the next couple of years, on top of normal head coaching duties. Pretty tiring. Hell, Moore would be 75 by the time we played our first game.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 5th, 2013, 02:52 PM
FWIW, Randy Sanders is confirmed to be out of the running per Jimmy Hyams. Sanders did say it is a great job but the timing was not right.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Its not unheard of to take on a new "old" head coach for a startup program. Get a guy with some gravitas, let him coach a few years, and then go get the guy that will take over the program.

superman7515
June 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Absolutely. It worked for Georgia State.

catamount man
June 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I'm now hearing Leipold is out. A new name to look at is Carl Torbush.

I'm not really excited about hiring coaches that are pushing 70 or are over 70 in Moore's case. Our new coach is going to have to be very active and visible in the community over the next couple of years, on top of normal head coaching duties. Pretty tiring. Hell, Moore would be 75 by the time we played our first game.

Leipold is 79-6 at Wis-Whitewater and he's out?! Torbush? I would surely hope not. I keep hearing Billy Taylor. Of course, any SoCon opening always has his name listed to it. Great coach!

ElCid
June 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Its not unheard of to take on a new "old" head coach for a startup program. Get a guy with some gravitas, let him coach a few years, and then go get the guy that will take over the program.

It's not that I don't like old people, my goal in life is to one day become old, but I would think that the energy required by a coach to start up a program may be more than someone in their 70s is up for. And while the heart may be willing, the body sometimes fails.... What they don't need is musical coaches early on. They need someone in place for 4-5 years.

walliver
June 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
It's not that I don't like old people, my goal in life is to one day become old, but I would think that the energy required by a coach to start up a program may be more than someone in their 70s is up for. And while the heart may be willing, the body sometimes fails.... What they don't need is musical coaches early on. They need someone in place for 4-5 years.

I don't like how Jerry Moore was treated at App State, but agree with many App fans that he was past his prime and it was time for him to retire.

The only retired coach I would consider for ETSU would be Phil Fulmer.

kdinva
June 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Ted Cain? :p

Saint3333
June 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I don't like how Jerry Moore was treated at App State, but agree with many App fans that he was past his prime and it was time for him to retire.

Given one more year or the option to come back with a six-figure salary as a "friend of the university" for a coach that is past his prime (your words not mine). I can only hope I am treated so poorly when I'm at that stage of my career.

phoenix3
June 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Paul Hamilton?

SpiritCymbal
June 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm now hearing Leipold is out.

That's a shame. I was really getting pumped on the idea of him in JC.

ETSUfan1
June 5th, 2013, 03:41 PM
P-HAM? PUKE!

That's a shame. I was really getting pumped on the idea of him in JC.

I think the issue was that he didn't have any recruting ties in the south.

ETSUfan1
June 5th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Also Jerry Moore is not being considered.

Sir William
June 5th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Is it possible that any pre-screening of potential coaches is just "show-boating" until Fulmer is eventually named HC? I gotta believe ETSU would give anything for Fulmer to lead the program. Is there any legitimate reason that he would not consider the opportunity, other than the "I'm not in the running" posture for the local media? Seems to me that a lot of good football players would have no problem whatsoever coming to Johnson City to play for Phil.

Makes sense to me, but I speak as a casual observer.

ETSUfan1
June 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM
He's said he's at a stage in his life where he wants to spend time with his grandkids.

Sir William
June 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM
He's said he's at a stage in his life where he wants to spend time with his grandkids.

I can certainly understand.

But I just ain't buying it.

TTUEagles
June 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Leipold is 79-6 at Wis-Whitewater and he's out?! Torbush? I would surely hope not. I keep hearing Billy Taylor. Of course, any SoCon opening always has his name listed to it. Great coach!

TTU's DC? Really? I like him...but, defense hasn't been that great at TTU, but I hear Watson (HC) has pretty much controlled what he can do...

ETSUfan1
June 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM
TTU's DC? Really? I like him...but, defense hasn't been that great at TTU, but I hear Watson (HC) has pretty much controlled what he can do...

Taylor's an ETSU guy and was here when we dropped football in 03. The former players LOVE him.

dgtw
June 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Fulmer will be 63 on September 1. Curry turned 68 during Georgia State's first season.

kdinva
June 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Footballscoop.com says Carl Torbush now front-runner:

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

knucklehead
June 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Interesting since I heard he left Liberty for health reasons.

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 6th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Who said that?

Accelerati Incredibilus
June 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Given one more year or the option to come back with a six-figure salary as a "friend of the university" for a coach that is past his prime (your words not mine). I can only hope I am treated so poorly when I'm at that stage of my career.

Ain't that the truth. Coach looked a gift horse in the mouth and thought he could force the university into one more year. He didn't count on the university holding him to his word. The PTB knew we were making the SB move and JM wanted no part of it. Had to start prepping for the move.

ETSUfan1
June 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Donors to the new program have been sent out an email saying the coaching announcement will come Friday. All indications are that it will be Carl Torbush.

CID1990
June 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Donors to the new program have been sent out an email saying the coaching announcement will come Friday. All indications are that it will be Carl Torbush.

He's a good coach- just keep your eye on him or you'll be sucking NCAA sanctions hind tit.

Sent from the center of the universe.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 19th, 2013, 08:52 AM

WJHL's Kenny Hawkins has confirmed the hire.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/22627291/torbush-to-be-named-etsu-new-football-coach

kdinva
June 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Torbush it is.....

http://www.etsubucs.com/football/news/2013-14/9779/torbush-named-to-lead-new-etsu-football-program/