PDA

View Full Version : Because we haven't had enough threads about this...

Smitty
June 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Here is the latest about the SoCon from the Western AD...

Over the course of the past month, we have seen an avalanche of change within the Southern Conference, losing two additional members (Davidson and Elon) to go along with the other three that had previously announced they were leaving (Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and College of Charleston). Last week, East Tennessee State, Mercer, and VMI were invited to become the newest members of the Southern Conference. College of Charleston will leave us affective June 30, 2013 while the other four do not officially leave until June 30, 2014.

Believe me when I tell you the comments I have received on this are wide ranging, everything from “glad to see them go” to “WCU needs to jump into the ACC”.

I would first like to take a moment to make sure everyone in Catamount Nation understands WHY each school departed. First, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern left for one reason: football. Moving to the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) level was a decision focused on one sport. Both of these institutions have been very upfront about “moving up” for several years, so their departures, although painful to many of you, did not come as a surprise.

The decisions made by Elon and College of Charleston were admissions driven. Both of these institutions decided to join the Colonial Athletic Association to utilize the presence of their athletic teams to try and gain additional students from the Mid-Atlantic region. In neither case was athletic competition a motivating factor for either institution, it simply came down to trying to increase student enrollment, specifically from a region where each institution already draws a large percentage of their respective student bodies.

Davidson, while also appearing to be an admissions decision, did join the Atlantic-10 Conference, which is a “basketball-centric” conference. Since Davidson sponsors non-scholarship football, I do think there was consideration given to the fact that the Atlantic-10 focuses primarily on basketball. I cannot fathom that was not a significant factor in Davidson’s move. It is extremely important to realize that there was very little, IF ANYTHING, the Southern Conference Office could have done to prevent these five institutions from departing.

The three new members of the conference (ETSU, Mercer and VMI) will join us in the summer of 2014. Having been on each of these three campuses and meeting with members of the respective coaching and administrative staffs, I believe these three new members will be competing for conference championships in many sports from day one (ETSU & Mercer are competing in the NCAA Baseball Regionals as I type!). And although VMI is the only one of the three that currently sponsors football, all three will be competing in football by the fall of 2015.

To answer questions about why WCU should or should not look for a new conference, I will start with the easiest: you must be ASKED to join a conference, you cannot simply invite yourself. Appalachian and Georgia Southern were asked to join the Sun Belt primarily due to the success of their football programs. Elon and College of Charleston were asked to strengthen the southern flank of the Colonial, and in part due to the Colonial’s desire to increase the number of private institutions among their ranks. Davidson, similar to ASU and GSU, was primarily asked to join the A-10 due to the past success of their Men’s Basketball program. Our most successful program over the past decade has been track, and not many conferences are looking for new members solely due to a strong track program.

My next point is: why would we want to leave? Many people see the sky falling; I see opportunity. Just as when the ACC was formed or when Marshal left several decades later, the Southern Conference not only survived, it has thrived! As some have left over the years, others have filled the void. This is our chance to step up and become a leader in all SoCon sports! Remember, NCAA post-season opportunities remain with each conference, so we still have those same opportunities year to year, but now with a maximum of ten schools participating in a given sport, our odds in earning a post-season berth have increased already.

TLDR;

App and GSU "decision focused on one sport"
Elon and CoC left for admissions and enrollment
Davidson left for basketball (duh...)

Stuff that everybody pretty much knew, just though it was an interesting read...

Saint3333
June 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM
App only considered how this would impact football, false.

eaglewraith
June 4th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Although probably a little narrow minded in the thoughts on each school, this is probably the best statement I've seen out of a member school yet.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM
App only considered how this would impact football, false.

C'mon man. You arent drinking the Kool Aid, you're mixing and selling it. The move for ASU and GSU boils down to football. Or have you somehow been bellyaching about the SoCon in every other post about how the SoCon isn't baseball friendly and we all just missed it?

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Well I'm honestly jealous of any administration that takes the time to communicate with it's constituents. App does a lot of things right, but communication isn't one of them.

That being said, Randy couldn't resist putting snarky quotation marks around moving up. I still can't understand that resentful groupthink. It's a move "up" in every way. At least he didn't throw multiple public temper tantrums like Big Bird.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM
The decisions made by Elon and College of Charleston were admissions driven. Both of these institutions decided to join the Colonial Athletic Association to utilize the presence of their athletic teams to try and gain additional students from the Mid-Atlantic region. In neither case was athletic competition a motivating factor for either institution, it simply came down to trying to increase student enrollment, specifically from a region where each institution already draws a large percentage of their respective student bodies.

Ouch. OUCH!

kdinva
June 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Well I'm honestly jealous of any administration that takes the time to communicate with it's constituents.

us, too.......xcoffeex

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM
That being said, Randy couldn't resist putting snarky quotation marks around moving up. I still can't understand that resentful groupthink. It's a move "up" in every way. At least he didn't throw multiple public temper tantrums like Big Bird.

The resentful "groupthink" seems to come from ASU. Some people are going out of their way to look for things to be offended by. We now are faced with resentful quotation marks?

You are leaving ... so goodbye, but I don't understand the great butthurt from ASU fans because the rest of us have not kissed your feet on the way out the door. All the rest of us really care about is that you are moving "out". Whether it is "up", "down", or sideways makes no difference.

The real hidden message in the WCU AD's post is that apparently no-one outside the SoCon is interested in WCU, so they are going to look at the bright side of their current situation. Maybe we should all do likewise.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 09:11 AM
The resentful "groupthink" seems to come from ASU. Some people are going out of their way to look for things to be offended by. We now are faced with resentful quotation marks?

You are leaving ... so goodbye, but I don't understand the great butthurt from ASU fans because the rest of us have not kissed your feet on the way out the door. All the rest of us really care about is that you are moving "out". Whether it is "up", "down", or sideways makes no difference.

The real hidden message in the WCU AD's post is that apparently no-one outside the SoCon is interested in WCU, so they are going to look at the bright side of their current situation. Maybe we should all do likewise.

The resentful group think to which I refer is the common finger quotes, real quotes and general sarcasm from SoCon fans and officials when mentioning App and GaSo's move up in divisions. It's petty, childish and completely unnecessary. It's not that I'm offended as much as I am annoyed by those delusions. It's a move UP. Get over it. Especially when it comes from AD's and the conference commissioner. What a mom and pop show.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 09:14 AM
The resentful group think to which I refer is the common finger quotes, real quotes and general sarcasm from SoCon fans and officials when mentioning App and GaSo's move up in divisions. It's petty, childish and completely unnecessary. It's not that I'm offended as much as I am annoyed by those delusions. It's a move UP. Get over it. Especially when it comes from AD's and the conference commissioner. What a mom and pop show.

Nobody has spilled more ink bashing the SoCon than you and Saint, and most of your garbage is unsolicited, hence nobody is crying you a river when you whine about "resentment". If anybody needs to get over it they need look no further than your post count in threads about the SoCon imploding.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Pretty much everything he says is true, but I'm pretty sure CofC's move is motivated by wanting to go to a better basketball league.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
The resentful group think to which I refer is the common finger quotes, real quotes and general sarcasm from SoCon fans and officials when mentioning App and GaSo's move up in divisions. It's petty, childish and completely unnecessary. It's not that I'm offended as much as I am butthurt.

Fixed.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Pretty much everything he says is true, but I'm pretty sure CofC's move is motivated by wanting to go to a better basketball league.

From CoC's perspective, perhaps, but of everything in the communique, the lack of respect for the CAA was really striking.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Nobody has spilled more ink bashing the SoCon than you and Saint, and most of your garbage is unsolicited, hence nobody is crying you a river when you whine about "resentment". If anybody needs to get over it they need look no further than your post count in threads about the SoCon imploding.

Again, it's not a whine about the resentment. It's frustrating to see this falsehood perpetuated. We're moving UP. UP, I say. Onward and UPward. Advancing. Making progress. Achieving betterment. Moving UP in the hierarchy -- et all.

Saint3333
June 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM
C'mon man. You arent drinking the Kool Aid, you're mixing and selling it. The move for ASU and GSU boils down to football. Or have you somehow been bellyaching about the SoCon in every other post about how the SoCon isn't baseball friendly and we all just missed it?

I've been very open with my criticism of many aspects of the SoCon as you mentioned later in this thread. #1 being the downward slide and now the complete lack of exposure the conference provides.

The Sun Belt is an overall better athletic conference and offers much more exposure for App. To say this is a football only move is laughable.

WCU's AD did a good thing with this message for his fanbase, but to generalize each programs reason for the move is a PR move at best. CofC and Elon (and RPI indicators) believe that the CAA is a better overall athletic conference as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
To me, WCU's AD seemed to regard ASU and GSU's move as completely expected, almost not even worthy of mention. The barbs are much sharper, IMO, against Elon, CoC and Davidson, with the biggest digs on Davidson, but again, saying that the move to the CAA didn't have anything to do with athletics.. man.

asumike83
June 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'd have preferred to see the air quotes when talking about Davidson playing non-scholarship "football".

xlolx

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I've been very open with my criticism of many aspects of the SoCon as you mentioned later in this thread. #1 being the downward slide and now the complete lack of exposure the conference provides.

The Sun Belt is an overall better athletic conference and offers much more exposure for App. To say this is a football only move is laughable.

WCU's AD did a good thing with this message for his fanbase, but to generalize each programs reason for the move is a PR move at best. CofC and Elon (and RPI indicators) believe that the CAA is a better overall athletic conference as well.

ASU's move to the Sun Belt has nothing to do with how you personally feel about the overall athletic situation in the SoCon, the Sunbelt, or with ASU at large. It is about football. ASU is not clamoring to be in a better, more competitive conference in baseball. Plus, ASU could not regualrly compete with the top 2-3 teams in basketball. So to say that somehow the move was influenced by anything other than football is the only thing laughable here.

ASU outgrew the SoCon in one sport only: football.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I'd have preferred to see the air quotes when talking about Davidson playing non-scholarship "football".

xlolx

We'll put those "air quotes" around them when we play them in Charleston in 2014. I'm already looking forward to it.

wapiti
June 4th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I thought this was going to be about egriz being down.

pike51
June 4th, 2013, 10:01 AM
our odds in earning a post-season berth have increased already.

This is true... because both programs were better than yours. Now they are gone and you are that much closer to a post season birth. That is a fine message to send to your students, athletes, and alumni.

The Cats
June 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM
So to say that somehow the move was influenced by anything other than football is the only thing laughable here.

You nailed it. Of course the ASU regulars will protest, but it's true. It certainly hold true, as well, for GSU.

Saint3333
June 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
ASU's move to the Sun Belt has nothing to do with how you personally feel about the overall athletic situation in the SoCon, the Sunbelt, or with ASU at large. It is about football. ASU is not clamoring to be in a better, more competitive conference in baseball. Plus, ASU could not regualrly compete with the top 2-3 teams in basketball. So to say that somehow the move was influenced by anything other than football is the only thing laughable here.

ASU outgrew the SoCon in one sport only: football.

I appreciate your feelings and assessment of what drove the decision App made, but I trust the results of the focus groups I participated in with our Chancellor and AD over what you believe. This move is about much more than football. That isn't my personal feelings those are the feelings of our decision makers all the way up to the BOT. Continue to debate what you believe happened if you like.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Continue to debate what you believe happened if you like.

I don't plan on it. Just like I don't argue with ExpandoSpanos on CS.com that we really did land on the moon, or that Bohemian Grove is the puppet master of the world.

Smitty
June 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM

This is true... because both programs were better than yours. Now they are gone and you are that much closer to a post season birth. That is a fine message to send to your students, athletes, and alumni.

Sure when you leave out the first part...

" This is our chance to step up and become a leader in all SoCon sports! Remember, NCAA post-season opportunities remain with each conference, so we still have those same opportunities year to year, but now with a maximum of ten schools participating in a given sport, our odds in earning a post-season berth have increased already."

DoWe
June 4th, 2013, 10:34 AM
APP's move was first and foremost about football. The sum total of the the other "benefits" of moving to the Sun Belt would not justify the move, and not even come close. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
APP's move was first and foremost about football. The sum total of the the other "benefits" of moving to the Sun Belt would not justify the move, and not even come close. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise.

But they had focus groups!

Saint3333
June 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Wow how short-sighted can you guys be.

App believes that athletics are a part of the marketing department for a university, it is a way to get your name out there. The SoCon did not provide long-term what our leaders feel was best for us in that regard.

Sandlapper Spike
June 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
You're in the Sun Belt for football, not because you really really really wanted your volleyball team to travel to Jonesboro.

Smitty
June 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM

App believes that athletics are a part of the marketing department for a university, it is a way to get your name out there. The SoCon did not provide long-term what our leaders feel was best for us in that regard.

And for the past * years all we have heard about is your football team, maybe the track team once. Athletics are a giant part of marketing, but I haven't seen any pictures of basketballs or baseballs with the Sun Belt logo...

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Good luck marketing yourselves to those astrophysicists and engineers by playing basketball against the Ragin Cajuns twice a year, then.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 10:56 AM
The SBC move was an institutional move that will better the school on all fronts. It wasn't a football move. But I will concede that if it wasn't for the success of the football program, the school wouldn't have had the opportunity.

AshevilleApp2
June 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1966725]The SBC move was an institutional move that will better the school on all fronts.

How?

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM

GSU was dominant in football, but their other sports underperformed, especially considering that they are the dominant D-I athletic program in South Georgia (everything south of Macon). They had some good (but not great) years in basketball, but generally underperformed. GSU leaving probably doesn't affect WCU much.
ASU, on the other hand, puts a lot of time and money into non-revenue sports and has been dominant in a lot of sports most of us don't follow. There may be more playoff opportunities for WCU to get post-season opportunities in those sports.
ASU and GSU won't be missed in basketball, but Davy will. Once the SoCon pulls Mercer down to our level, basketball could be wide open.
Baseball will be as tough, if not tougher. The Bears and Bucs both went to the playoffs this year.

Statistically 1 of 10 is more likely than 1 of 12, but it's not a big deal. You still have to wins the games on the field/court/track.

The Western AD has a tough job. It doesn't help that their big rival is moving on with apparently no regrets about leaving WCU behind. The new SoCon will have three larger publics in close proximity which is good for WCU (WCU, ETSU, Chatty), but not a lot in common with 2 military schools, 4 private schools, and 1 commuter school. One key to his success will be to build up football and basketball in order to develop athletic rivalries with the South Carolina schools. This will do a lot to calm down the masses. It wasn't that long ago that, for a decade, 2 of the top 3 SoCon football games annually involved little ol' Furman playing big bad large state schools. In fact, one of the strengths of the SoCon has traditionally been the prospect of dissimilar schools developing rivalries. In fact, ASU has shared 3 of their last 5 SoCon championships with the smallest school in the conference, and GSU has shared 3 of their last 5 with a private school.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
And for the past * years all we have heard about is your football team, maybe the track team once.

I think you're referring to Mpls' obsession with tracks surrounding the football stadium... xlolx

Engineer86
June 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM

Honestly, as an outsider, I see the "s as trying to explain the phrase "moving up" to or put it in context for his much broader WC alumni audience, as it is a phrase used in our small world related to the move, but perhaps not to the broad based. I thought he did a great job, explaining the situation, but at this point to some of you the little things are like waving a red flag.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
The SBC move was an institutional move that will better the school on all fronts. It wasn't a football move. But I will concede that if it wasn't for the success of the football program, the school wouldn't have had the opportunity.

All athletic programs are about marketing. Some are more effective than others. I have seen a power point presentation about ASU's then potential move. It made a big deal about joining a conference with schools with similar Carnegie classifications. That never made much sense to me since I doubt prospective students really care about Carnegie classifications and focus more on specific programs, but does pay lip service to the idea that this move is somehow academically oriented. Interestingly, GSU is rated at a higher Carnegie classification, but GSU fans are much less likely to make such an argument.

The "real" reason ASU wants to move is the idea that large important schools play football in large important conferences at the "highest level" of college football.
Will that help App "on all fronts"? It's debatable. C-USA might have helped more (the quality of the football teams isn't really important) from a marketing angle. The SBC move is more problematic, but was likely seen as the only realistic option to move up.

Apphole
June 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
How?

Step up in every sport - Enhanced athletic footprint - Farther reach of the brand and increase in applicants/selectivity - Improved athletics facilities - More ect

Athletics are the front porch of a University. What's good for athletics is good for the school.

But I'm sure someone has a negative spin job for you if you prefer that interpretation.

CID1990
June 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I would agree that if you feel that (as your president does) that athletics are the front porch of every university, then the SoCon in fact is not the right conference for you.

PAllen
June 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM
“WCU needs to jump into the ACC”.

Now that's just funny

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM

You are leaving ... so goodbye, but I don't understand the great butthurt from some ASU fans because the rest of us have not kissed your feet on the way out the door. All the rest of us really care about is that you are moving "out". Whether it is "up", "down", or sideways makes no difference.

FIFY.

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
To me, WCU's AD seemed to regard ASU and GSU's move as completely expected, almost not even worthy of mention. The barbs are much sharper, IMO, against Elon, CoC and Davidson, with the biggest digs on Davidson, but again, saying that the move to the CAA didn't have anything to do with athletics.. man.

Well, LFN...for once we agree on something.

IBleedYellow
June 4th, 2013, 08:37 PM
FIFY.

Gotta say you fixed that. ASU you are a very respectful poster, that can't be said about all App State posters. But I know where they get their cockiness. Just look at NDSU fans, we are the same day way.

We both act like our programs walk on water. I'm still bummed we can't play App at KBS or the Dome in the playoffs, oh man that'd be great.

Nexus 4

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Gotta say you fixed that. ASU you are a very respectful poster, that can't be said about all App State posters. But I know where they get their cockiness. Just look at NDSU fans, we are the same day way.

We both act like our programs walk on water. I'm still bummed we can't play App at KBS or the Dome in the playoffs, oh man that'd be great.

I always hoped for a home-and-home with NDSU. I would have considered making the trip, never been to the Dakotas. It would have been great.

Saint3333
June 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I have a feeling we haven't been in the same subdivision for the last time if you're in your 30's.

IBleedYellow
June 5th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I have a feeling we haven't been in the same subdivision for the last time if you're in your 30's.

We'll be in the same subdivision before I die, count on it.

Saint3333
June 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Looking forward to it.

IBleedYellow
June 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM
IE: I'm only 22 and there is bound to be something that occurs before I die. :)

phoenix3
June 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM

Saw this on the UNCG board & I agree with it:

Elon is a private school. We have very little public funding & therefore have annual tuition and expenses of somewhere just under $40,000 per year. In this age of "online.edu" education, 16 state supported NC universities, many of them very high quality, and community colleges and technical colleges on every corner in NC, a private college like Elon has to be VERY smart about knowing and reaching their target market. The reality is that Elon, in order to survive, has to be more and more selective academically and has to go to a "target rich environment" to recruit students whose parents who are willing and able to pay tuition of $40k+/-.

Now as any administrator who is worth his weight in water will tell you, athletics is the single most effective marketing segment of any university. Trust me, all of these people running around the Triad with UNC on their hats and Duke on their t-shirts aren't wearing them because UNC has a great social services major and Duke's dance department is the best in the country. It's 100% due to athletics.

As I said in my earlier post, 75% of the reason Elon accepted the invitation to the CAA was because our leaders saw an opportunity to market more directly to those who fit the profile demographically. What is the 25%? Well, I'm sure the poor leadership of the SoCon certainly didn't make it harder to make the "go" decision. Additionally, appeasement of one member school by bringing on a dramatically inferior school also didn't help to keep us. But, all that aside, if the SoCon admin had been aggressive before C of C, ASU and GaSo left, the SoCon would have been on superior footing. Davidson and C of C would have stayed, and even though Elon had different issues, it would have made it much harder for us to leave. But, in the end, Elon had to make the best decision for our long term future. Even if the SoCon had remained strong, it still would only have been a matter of time until a change was made.

CID1990
June 5th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Additionally, appeasement of one member school by bringing on a dramatically inferior school also didn't help to keep us.

You took a fairly well thought out post and turned it into a steaming turd with that tinfoil hat comment. All members had to vote and they overwhelmingly voted for VMI. You and a couple others give El Cid credit for a lot more arm twisting ability than we actually have.

As for Davidson and cofc, if Elon's tie to the SoCon was truly affected by those two memberships, then yeah, both Elon and the SoCon are better off going separate ways.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
What type of vote is required to approve new members? Simple majority among those that don't abstain from voting (which I assume GSU, ASU, and CofC abstained)? Depending on how the math is, there might very well be some kind of "log-rolling" to get everyone to approve all of the new members.

Saint3333
June 5th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Draw a line graph charting Elon vs Citadel's growth in academics and athletics, their leaders have different goals than yours. Don't fault them for making the right move.

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Draw a line graph charting Elon vs Citadel's growth in academics and athletics, their leaders have different goals than yours. Don't fault them for making the right move.

Oh but some posters have/will. The resentful backlash from the SoCon community be much worse for the Elon faithful if, say, Elon had gone FBS.

catamount man
June 5th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oh but some posters have/will. The resentful backlash from the SoCon community be much worse for the Elon faithful if, say, Elon had gone FBS.

count me among those with no butthurt at all. I like WCU's chances in the new SoCon. At the end of the day, App and GSU were above us all and made what they feel is the best choice. Not hurt by that at all.

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
count me among those with no butthurt at all. I like WCU's chances in the new SoCon. At the end of the day, App and GSU were above us all and made what they feel is the best choice. Not hurt by that at all.

I'll drink to that.

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM

So you can be with likeminded - regional state schools as opposed to private colleges?

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
So you can be with likeminded - regional state schools as opposed to private colleges?

That's one reason, yeah. There are many more. I'd love to list them, but I've grown weary of posting the same thing over and over to a group of increasingly more incredulous people. xcoffeex

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
That's one reason, yeah. There are many more. I'd love to list them, but I've grown weary of posting the same thing over and over to a group of increasingly more incredulous people. xcoffeex

Congrats, then by your logic you should be joining the Southland Conference OR the Big Sky.

Your move up was about football amigo, not academics. Using academics as an excuse is complete and total bull**** done to cover the expenses that your new conference will entail.

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Congrats, then by your logic you should be joining the Southland Conference OR the Big Sky.

Your move up was about football amigo, not academics. Using academics as an excuse is complete and total bull**** done to cover the expenses that your new conference will entail.

Forgive me, and the App administration, for seeing the big picture and being far-sighted and forward-thinking. It was an institutional move. It may have been ignited by outgrowing a sports conference in football, but every aspect of Appalachian was considered before the decision was made. App football isn't going to the SBC, Appalachian State University is going to the SBC.

By the way, every SBC school is public and several are classified as regional. That was quite the rhetorical backflip you just did. I'd give it a 3 out of 10.

TheRevSFA
June 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Forgive me, and the App administration, for seeing the big picture and being far-sighted and forward-thinking. It was an institutional move. The only reason is thanks to our football team, seeing as how our other sports won't compete in the SBC, but every aspect of Appalachian was considered before the decision was made. App football isn't going to the SBC, Appalachian State University is going to the SBC.

By the way, every SBC school is public and several are classified as regional. That was quite the rhetorical backflip you just did. I'd give it a 3 out of 10.

FIFY

Apphole
June 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Are you kidding? I'm trying to figure out if you think we're a football only member (we're not) or if you're saying we'll perform poorly against the SBC in every other sport (even more ridiculous). I understand you're just trolling, but good god, you can do better than that. You're talking about the most valuable athletic department in the SoCon for 33 of the last 36 years. We'll be just fine in other sports.

CID1990
June 5th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Nobody is breaking yours or Saint's balls for going FBS, so stop playing the martyr. I've been an ASU fan since before you were born and am perfectly happy to see them move up. People have merely reacted to your snide attitude towards the SoCon.

You may return to your other fantasy now- the one about ASU going to the Sun Belt not being about football.

hapapp
June 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
You're in the Sun Belt for football, not because you really really really wanted your volleyball team to travel to Jonesboro.

Very true. We would not be in the Sun Belt if not for our football success. Yes, the Sun Belt gives us more exposure but we wouldn't be doing this if not for football. The Sun Belt wouldn't be interested in us if not for our football.

hapapp
June 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Quite frankly, I believe our fans are likely to be in for a rude awakening when we begin competing in the SBC in all sports. Most of our teams are likely to be middle of the pack to bottom of the conference when we first begin competing. I think we should prepare ourselves for that fact. We can't say we are moving up and then not expect to face far better competition in most sports. I look forward to the challenge but we will take our lumps.

Saint3333
June 5th, 2013, 09:49 PM
The fact that App will have to improve to compete is a great feeling. Sports are about challenging ones self. That message has been delivered loud and clear to all of our coaches.

Cobb said is the presser staying in the SoCon would have been the easier road and this will be tough no doubt about it. I have faith in our coaches and work ethic as a university to make this successful.

App State is a "little" academy deep in the mountains that has been proving people wrong wince 1899. I'm all in as always.

CID1990
June 5th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Quite frankly, I believe our fans are likely to be in for a rude awakening when we begin competing in the SBC in all sports. Most of our teams are likely to be middle of the pack to bottom of the conference when we first begin competing. I think we should prepare ourselves for that fact. We can't say we are moving up and then not expect to face far better competition in most sports. I look forward to the challenge but we will take our lumps.

Well at least for a while that goes without saying. The SBC has a higher conference RPI in both baseball and basketball than the SoCon. ASU is middle of the pack in those sports in the SoCon as it is, so I doubt there are many ASU fans who think much will change there, at least initially.

Sent from the center of the universe.