PDA

View Full Version : The Old AOL Div I-AA messageboard

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM
How many of you guys here were on the old AOL Div I-AA messageboard back in the early-mid 90's? And what were you screen names back then?

I know there are a few here with the same names they had back then like me, Elkmcc, AppSt89, Montfisher, etc.

Elk and I were talking about the old days and I decided to find out how many of those guys made it here.

Doc

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
How many of you guys here were on the old AOL Div I-AA messageboard back in the early-mid 90's? And what were you screen names back then?

I know there are a few here with the same names they had back then like me, Elkmcc, AppSt89, Montfisher, etc.

Elk and I were talking about the old days and I decided to find out how many of those guys made it here.

Doc

I've used elkmcc for more years than I care to think about any more. Some folks might think I am a relatively new bee on this board but such is not the case. When I first signed up for the AGS board for some reason I couldn't get "elkmcc" and I used N'zoner until they went to the new format. Then I rushed to get elkmcc back. Some people around here muight even remember me from the "escribe" I-AA board from the mid 90's.
I still have people recognize my ridiculous moniker.:)

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I've used elkmcc for more years than I care to think about any more. Some folks might think I am a relatively new bee on this board but such is not the case. When I first signed up for the AGS board for some reason I couldn't get "elkmcc" and I used N'zoner until they went to the new format. Then I rushed to get elkmcc back. I still have people recognize my ridiculous moniker.:)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Back in the mid-90's, Cap'n Cat was busy getting kicked off boards left and right and did not know about a national one until about three years ago.

September 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
what's I-AA?

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
what's I-AA?

LOL too funny!

September 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
LOL too funny!I do have my moments of levity. xlolx

Cap'n Cat
September 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I do have my moments of levity. xlolx

............about every six months..............

;) ;)

September 6th, 2006, 06:03 PM
............about every six months..............
;) ;)more often than you see a game without UNI! xlolx

McNeese72
September 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM
what's I-AA?

Well, that's what is was called back then, Ralph? Us old farts are reminiscing. :) :)

I left AOL many years ago and from what I hear the old I-AA messageboard bit the dust. I appreciate you guys starting up the AGS board to give CS fans some place to talk CS football.

Thanks,
Doc

September 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Well, that's what is was called back then, Ralph? Us old farts are reminiscing. :) :)
I left AOL many years ago and from what I hear the old I-AA messageboard bit the dust. I appreciate you guys starting up the AGS board to give CS fans some place to talk CS football.
Thanks,
DocAhhhhh, yes. I-AA. Remember when we used to make fun of/correct people on the spelling? xlolx xlolx xlolx Those were the days.

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ahhhhh, yes. I-AA. Remember when we used to make fun of/correct people on the spelling? xlolx xlolx xlolx Those were the days.

So I guess that makes this the AGSCS. Sounds like an aggie committeexlolx

JohnStOnge
September 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks,
Doc

I was on the AOL I-AA board, of course. AOL changed it's board formats. The AOL boards used to be very user friendly. Now they're not. A classic case of "fixing" something that wasn't broken and thereby ruining it.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
what's I-AA?

What's AOL?

September 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
What's AOL?what's old?

eaglesrthe1
September 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I posted some on those boards...same handle.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 6th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Are you sure it was the early and the mid-90s? In the early and mid 90s probably none of you knew what the internet was or even owned a computer. Only hardcore computer nerds like myself did. (I bet none of you even know what "pwns" means.)

I think I remember that board - it had the white background and blue letters that showed every single post, not just every thread like this one does. It was a lot like the old IAA.org EZBoard. It's lifetime was about the same as the rivals.com IAA pages, which was late 90s and early 00s. I might be thinking of the USAtoday board though. It seems like they had one.

September 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM
...(I bet none of you even know what "pwns" means.)...we considered ourselves geekleet back then.

elkmcc
September 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Are you sure it was the early and the mid-90s? In the early and mid 90s probably none of you knew what the internet was or even owned a computer. Only hardcore computer nerds like myself did. (I bet none of you even know what "pwns" means.)

I think I remember that board - it had the white background and blue letters that showed every single post, not just every thread like this one does. It was a lot like the old IAA.org EZBoard. It's lifetime was about the same as the rivals.com IAA pages, which was late 90s and early 00s. I might be thinking of the USAtoday board though. It seems like they had one.

OK. this dates me but it was early '90's and I'll bite anyway:

Legend has it, a video game programmer was trying to write a line of code that would flash the words "you've been owned" on the screen when the player lost the game. Instead he ended up writing "you've been pwned." That little slip of one anonymous programmer's right pinky finger set a long-lasting precedent for the way people conduct flame wars and insult each other in online forums.

Much similar to what McNeese72 was saying earlier about being "Elked". Computer nerd lingo.

September 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM
was that the board where I typed
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
instead of lol? hhhhhhhhhhh is the sound of a wheezy laugh.

gawd it's been a long time since I typed hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh though I still laugh that way. That was before I posted under my real name.

McNeese72
September 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
OK. this dates me but it was early '90's and I'll bite anyway:

Legend has it, a video game programmer was trying to write a line of code that would flash the words "you've been owned" on the screen when the player lost the game. Instead he ended up writing "you've been pwned." That little slip of one anonymous programmer's right pinky finger set a long-lasting precedent for the way people conduct flame wars and insult each other in online forums.

Much similar to what McNeese72 was saying earlier about being "Elked". Computer nerd lingo.

As far as the post about when the AOL Board started, I first discovered it in 1994, so I know it was there at least by that time.

I know what pwned means. A lot of the online poker players like to use the term. I read about the history of the term on the twoplustwo.com poker forums.

Doc

89Hen
September 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I was on the AOL I-AA board from almost the beginning, but as you know AOL does not allow you to start your username with a number (why is that anyway?) so I was not 89Hen. I was under my full name like JohnStOnge is/was.

RadMann
September 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I never used AOL (could not stand it with all of the automatic downloads back then) so I was not on that message board, but I was on the Escribe I-AA board from the beginning, and all subsequent ones since. If you look at this board and sort the members by join date, I'm on page one.