PDA

View Full Version : MAC Ultimatum for UMass?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6948

Decision time for UMass is coming regarding its future in the MAC in football. When UMass went to the FBS level a few years ago, the MAC took them in the way they accepted Temple, which allowed basketball to remain in the Atlantic 10. But both sides have escape clauses and the word may be that the MAC is ready to tell UMass, if you want to stay in the MAC in football, you have become a full member in all sports, which would mean UMass leaving the rising in stature A10.

If UMass balks at that, they will need to find another conference for their football team, with only Conference USA as the most likely choice, but even that has no guarantees…

Ouuuuuccchhhh. What will they do?

Would C-USA even take them? They would be on a huge island in C-USA, and would add about four hours east to their already-strained footprint.

Would the AAC take them in if UConn remains there?

In all seriousness, is the CAA an option again? Because they're only renting Gillette.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Lest people think I'm just making this stuff up:

Matt Sarzyniak @mattsarz
@Brian_Ewart I think a drop down to FCS is in order. Did NCAA put pressure on MAC re: 13 team skeds not conforming w/divisional guidelines?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
I think UMass would even stay FBS indy if necessary, if only to see if UConn gets dislodged from the AAC or if Navy decides to stay indy in football. UMass would be the ultimate insurance policy for the AAC.

Laker
June 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
I would think that UMass would go to the AAC if at all possible.

I knew that all of this realignment crap wasn't done yet.

Apphole
June 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
UMASS, or any other FBS school for that matter, will never drop down to the FCS.

henfan
June 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
This is purely a 'take it for what it's worth' thread.

The UMass rumor appears to be emanating from message boards, as blogger Mark Blaudschun offers no confirmation as part of his post. Obviously, Blaudschun the Jersey Guy blogger isn't subject to the same editorial standards as when he was writing for the Boston Globe. Even when he was, he wasn't highly regarded by many UMass fans as a source of accurate information about their FB program.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
UMass will do what they have to do to stay FBS, and won't get offers from any other FBS conferences. Certainly not the AAC.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 12:20 PM
UMass will do what they have to do to stay FBS, and won't get offers from any other FBS conferences. Certainly not the AAC.

So they are going to travel by plane to every conference game, which would be the scenario in C-USA or the SBC? Only the AAC would provide any sort of relief from that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
So they are going to travel by plane to every conference game, which would be the scenario in C-USA or the SBC? Only the AAC would provide any sort of relief from that.

The AAC is the logical landing spot. Everyone thinks UConn and Cincy are looking to bolt which does not seem to be the case if you pay attention.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
The AAC is the logical landing spot. Everyone thinks UConn and Cincy are looking to bolt which does not seem to be the case if you pay attention.

I agree, they seem to have dug in their heels and will make the best of things (as is Temple, incidentally). However, in the case that, say, the ACC loses a member, UConn will be at the top of the speculation list.

ccd494
June 3rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
I see one of three things happening:

1. Nothing. This is all just conjecture, UMass stays in the MAC.

2. Bob Kraft writes someone a check. He wants those dates filled in Gillette (the same reason he still owns the Revolution and won't seriously commit to building a soccer specific stadium closer to Boston). He wants the 10,000+ fans to shop in his mall, eat his concessions, etc 5-6 times per year. If he has to borderline bribe the AAC or CUSA to get UMass in, he'll do it.

3. UMass drops football.

PAllen
June 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
I see one of three things happening:

1. Nothing. This is all just conjecture, UMass stays in the MAC.

2. Bob Kraft writes someone a check. He wants those dates filled in Gillette (the same reason he still owns the Revolution and won't seriously commit to building a soccer specific stadium closer to Boston). He wants the 10,000+ fans to shop in his mall, eat his concessions, etc 5-6 times per year. If he has to borderline bribe the AAC or CUSA to get UMass in, he'll do it.

3. UMass drops football.

That sounds about right.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2013, 12:47 PM
I agree, they seem to have dug in their heels and will make the best of things (as is Temple, incidentally). However, in the case that, say, the ACC loses a member, UConn will be at the top of the speculation list.

I don't see much going on with the power football conferences. The AAC seems to be satisfied with being a basketball conference first with a crop of football schools capable of making a splash now and again. UConn and Cincy don't have the facilities, nor the alumni/fan support to push their luck in football imo. UConn's lone trip to a BCS bowl did not turn out well. The university lost a bunch of money, the coach bolted for Maryland and there wasn't a boost in recruiting/national prestige.

The AAC is well positioned to be the MWC of the East/Southeast imo.

BisonFan02
June 3rd, 2013, 03:21 PM
MAC kicks out UMASS, brings in NDSU for all sports! PuMp iT uP B****eS!!!!! Ummm...what were we talking about? :D

Thundar
June 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
MAC kicks out UMASS, brings in NDSU for all sports! PuMp iT uP B****eS!!!!! Ummm...what were we talking about? :D

you must know this guy........http://youtu.be/MaRdnOtjAIg

NHwildEcat
June 4th, 2013, 05:49 AM

NDSU has a better shot of getting in with UMass to help even the football conference up and have 7 teams in each division.

MplsBison
June 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
NDSU has a better shot of getting in with UMass to help even the football conference up and have 7 teams in each division.

Any way you slice it, UNI would be a better add for them. Closer to NIU for football only. Or in the case where they could convince UMass to join for bball, they might somehow convince UNI to join for all sports in that the MVC took a big hit losing Creighton and replacing them with Loyola Chicago might make some UNI fans angry.

Then there's the idea that the base revenue (non incentive tier) from the CFP to the group of five is going to be locked at $60 million for 60 teams (5 conferences times 12 teams each). I've yet to see that reported anywhere, just talk. Only thing I've seen for sure is $84 million to be split in three tiers, but no details yet on each tier.

CUSA is already going to have 14 football teams. MAC would be back to 12 without UMass. MWC will be at 12 with San Jose and Utah St starting this season. AAC will be at 12 with Navy starting in 2015 (or could be UMass if Navy decides not to come). Sun Belt is at 11 with two football-only affiliates (NM St and Idaho) and two schools that have no football but potentially could one day (Ark Little Rock and Texas Arlington).

As far as the thread goes, I guess I don't know UMass all that well but seems like they'll try to stay in the A10. In that case if the MAC really does boot them in football, they have to be thinking AAC if someone leaves or if Navy decides not to join.

Can't see CUSA going from 14 to 15 or 16 without certainty that the base tier from the CFP is not locked at $60 million.

BisonFan02
June 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM

I wasn't serious