PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Air Force Academy in '13

Go...gate
September 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Obviously a long way off but a nice job by our Athletic Director.

The year of the match up ('13) certainly favors Colgate!! :D

Hansel
September 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Wow 7 years out- that might be a new record...

carney2
September 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Obviously a long way off but a nice job by our Athletic Director.

I seem to be a voice in the wilderness here, but I continue to be baffled as to why these I-A vs. I-AA matchups are a "nice job" for the AD that schedules them. I wonder if the head priest in Rome was given a "nice job" after his parishioners were booked into the Coliseum vs. the lions.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
When talking about the space program in 1962, President Kennedy said "we pledge to go to the moon and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." I believe in another part of the speech, while discussing striving to do hard things, he said "Why does Rice play Texas?".

Why not play a step-up or "stretch" game one or two times a year? Why has Lafayette played Army and Navy from time to time? What do you think the NEC is doing with the Patriot League?

God knows the stretch game is a metaphor for life itself; at times you will have to step up to a challenge in life after football.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Do you have an official link or press release?

If true, then... :confused: wow! Colgate seems to be sticking to the northeast just like every other PL team... but this is a HUGE move for the PL. Maybe this well propel Tavani to schedule a game at West Point... but still.. I'm not sure what this does for them aside from getting them more money... uncomfortable with Lafayette even playing Army.

On a side note, there was speculation on the Ivy sports board that an Ivy and Air Force are looking to schedule each other.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Nope, Yale is scheduled to play Army in 2014.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Well I answered my own question... source...

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/News/football/2006/9/5/football952006.asp?path=football

ngineer
September 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM
'13?! I expect to be retired by then...I think...:rolleyes:

carney2
September 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
the stretch game is a metaphor for life itself; at times you will have to step up to a challenge in life after football.

A real nice turn of a phrase, as they say. With viewpoints like mine, I may need a eulogist at this site. Are you available?

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM
When talking about the space program in 1962, President Kennedy said "we pledge to go to the moon and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." I believe in another part of the speech, while discussing striving to do hard things, he said "Why does Rice play Texas?".

The JFK quote, in part:

"But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win..."

ChickenMan
September 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I think Delaware has West Chester on their schedule through 2099... xlolx

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I think Delaware has West Chester on their schedule through 2099... xlolx

Same with Darthmouth and UNH xcoffeex Dartmouth has the same darn future schedule posted until like 2019.

And Lafayette will be playing Lehigh through... uh, college football losses popularity and interest as the teams are disbanded in 2350... or the world blows up and civilization falls apart... which comes first..

OR.. Rothkopf is reincarnated and succeeds in his evil plot of athletic domination.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
A real nice turn of a phrase, as they say. With viewpoints like mine, I may need a eulogist at this site. Are you available?

Carney2, I'm sorry. After I read my post, I realized that what I said might be taken as denigrating your post, which was very sensible and probably much more realistic on the subject matter. I intended no insult to you and should have been a little more thoughtful and less hasty. I hope you will accept my apology.

Go...gate
September 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Same with Darthmouth and UNH xcoffeex Dartmouth has the same darn future schedule posted until like 2019.

And Lafayette will be playing Lehigh through... uh, college football losses popularity and interest as the teams are disbanded in 2350... or the world blows up and civilization falls apart... which comes first..

OR.. Rothkopf is reincarnated and succeeds in his evil plot of athletic domination.

Now that Lafayette is commited to Division I (whatever it is called), LC-LU will go on for the remainder of our lifetimes, as will Harvard-Yale.

mainejeff
September 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM
It's nice to have the schedules drawn up for the next 2 or 3 years, but 2013 is almost comical.

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Do you have an official link or press release?

If true, then... :confused: wow! Colgate seems to be sticking to the northeast just like every other PL team... but this is a HUGE move for the PL. Maybe this well propel Tavani to schedule a game at West Point... but still.. I'm not sure what this does for them aside from getting them more money... uncomfortable with Lafayette even playing Army.

On a side note, there was speculation on the Ivy sports board that an Ivy and Air Force are looking to schedule each other.

We have been trying to schedule a game with Army since we last played them in 97. Army does NOT want to play us because they stink and we would have a very good shot at beating them.. Lets not forget the Last time Army played a Patriot school they lost to Holy Cross in the opening game of the 2002 season. Holy Cross promplty finished the 2002 season at 4-7 including a 42-7 loss to Lafayette in a game that wasnt even that close. Believe me if Army wanted to play us, we would be playing them.

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM
We have been trying to schedule a game with Army since we last played them in 97. Army does NOT want to play us because they stink and we would have a very good shot at beating them.. Lets not forget the Last time Army played a Patriot school they lost to Holy Cross in the opening game of the 2002 season. Holy Cross promplty finished the 2002 season at 4-7 including a 42-7 loss to Lafayette in a game that wasnt even that close. Believe me if Army wanted to play us, we would be playing them.

True, you are right about that... I remember Holy Cross getting votes in polls for that win when it was clear to the rest of the PL they were awful... they were tabbed for, and finished in, the bottom half.

Army losing to us would further the arguement for downgrading their football. But now since they are recommitted to IA independent (where they belong), they might improve... they have scheduled Notre Dame for a few seasons in the future, and Yale. So they are not entirely immune to IAA scheduling.

carney2
September 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Carney2, I'm sorry. After I read my post, I realized that what I said might be taken as denigrating your post, which was very sensible and probably much more realistic on the subject matter. I intended no insult to you and should have been a little more thoughtful and less hasty. I hope you will accept my apology.

No offense taken. I am either thick skinned or too dull witted to recognize when I am being insulted. In this case I certainly did not detect any ill will in your post. You were merely espousing the apparent majority position at this site, which is that games vs. I-As are highly desirable. Since I have taken the contra position repeatedly since my arrival here, I have been taken to task by others in the past. Your rebuttal was the best that I have yet received, and I hope that my previous post properly expressed that opinion. Keep up the good work.

NoCoDanny
September 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Air Force dropped us for '07 those bastards. Oh well, maybe it's for the best...

colgate13
September 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
1 - I think this is a great game for Colgate, for lots of reasons.

2 - I think the I-A/I-AA landscape might be a bit different in 7 years.

3 - I strongly think the PL will be a different looking animal by 2013.

mainejeff
September 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
1 - I think this is a great game for Colgate, for lots of reasons.

2 - I think the I-A/I-AA landscape might be a bit different in 7 years.

3 - I strongly think the PL will be a different looking animal by 2013.

I agree.