PDA

View Full Version : APR/qualifyier question (specifically D2/NAIA/D3)

clenz
June 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
I know D1 institutions have to take into account grades of recruits and if they qualify through the clearing house, and then keeping grades higher for APR reasons.

Do D2/D3/NAIA institutions have to follow the same rules, or are their rules different?

What are the guidelines for being a "qualifier"

I played D3 ball, and was recruited by FCS, D2s and NAIAs with offers from both (stupidly picked the D3 route), and I honestly don't remember hearing anything about being a qualifier from any of them....though I had a good GPA/ACT coming out of HS so it probably wasn't a concern.

Also...can a mod fix my title...didn't know what word I wanted to go with and got a mix of both qualify and qualifier

bonarae
June 1st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Their rules are different from what D-I uses.

D-II doesn't use a sliding scale; they have lower minimum core-course GPA requirements as well as a lower minimum SAT/ACT score for eligibility.

D-III has no division-wide regulations in place (they do not use the Eligibility Center); admissions standards for student-athletes follow the respective schools' set standards for non-athletics students.

Partial Qualifier - this means that you do not qualify all of the academic requirements, but a student-athlete should have graduated from high school and meet any of the following: combined SAT/ACT score and minimum core-course GPA.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/CBSA.pdf - Source

NAIA has a new eligibility center, but I'm not sure how their system works.

Nova09
June 3rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Not your question, but worth noting that DI is going to a new system that will leave a gap between "qualifiers" and "non-qualifiers." If an incoming freshman falls in that gap, he can take an "academic redshirt" and be allowed to receive athletic aid and practice but not compete. Non-qualifiers cannot receive athletic aid or practice (and obviously can't compete).