PDA

View Full Version : SWAC football and basketball championships moving to Houston

dgtw
May 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/swac_football_basketball_champ.html#comments

The football championship, which attracted more than 32,000 fans when Arkansas-Pine Bluff defeated Jackson State (Miss.) for the league crown this past season, will move to Reliant Stadium home of the NFL's Houston Texans through 2015. That contest is set for December 7th.

The Texans stadium will certainly be an upgrade from Legion Field, but will it draw a bigger crowd?

DFW HOYA
June 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM
There are likely more enough alumni in and around Houston that can make this feasible....and hosuton made a better bid.

When the SWAC held its basketball tournament in a high school gym in Garland, TX (northeast of Dallas) there was little support, in that the closest Div. I HBCU to Dallas is 200 miles away.

WestCoastAggie
June 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM
If the SWAC can get a match up like Southern vs. Jackson State (one heated and exciting rivalry game) in the SCG, they can easily push 45,000 plus into Reliant Stadium.

BluBengal07
June 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
Houston is a much better market. the only downside is the location of the championships due to the universities locations. now the bama schools has to do the big trip also, the SWAC offices are still in Birmingham, i believe.

GAD
June 1st, 2013, 08:58 PM
Weather won't affect the game any more, in 03 a few Southern fans made the trip to B'ham but did not go to the game cause it was cold and rainy.

dgtw
June 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
Theu drove all the way to Birmingham but didn't go because it was raining?

AggieManiac704
June 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM

I dont know how that works either.

813Jag
June 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Weather won't affect the game any more, in 03 a few Southern fans made the trip to B'ham but did not go to the game cause it was cold and rainy.
I've never understood that, I'm in that stadium rain or shine. especially if I'm traveling to a game.

Not sure on the move, but if some chance Southern makes it, that's 3 trips to Houston this year.

GAD
June 2nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
raining and in the 30s, and it may have been only 20 or so people who didn't go

dgtw
June 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Still, after that long a trip, it seems like you'd go. I can see if you live there deciding not to go. If they didn't pack warm clothes, we do have Wal-Marts in Birmingham.