PDA

View Full Version : Big South...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM
... is now down to 6 football-playing members.

Liberty - on the next bus to FBS, if it ever happens
Coastal Carolina - on the next bus to the SoCon/CAA, if it ever happens
Gardner-Webb
Presbyterian
Chuck South
Monmouth (in football only)

What's going to happen? Will they limp along with six members? Will they replace VMI with someone else, maybe a D-II moveup? Will Campbell become a scholarship program and get them up to 7 members?

Webzy
May 30th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Kennesaw State
West Georgia
Valdosta State

all three would be good choices.

Laker
May 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I've been hearing for several years that North Alabama wants to go D1. Maybe they will get an invite from the Big South.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Kennesaw State
West Georgia
Valdosta State

all three would be good choices.

Kennesaw is a logical choice. Don't know if VSU or UWG have any interest in becoming DI, though. If they were interested they probably could've gotten a Big South invite for a while now. Both are solid DII programs.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'm hearing that University of Phoenix and the Tattoo Academy of Hoboken are near locks.

MarkyMark
May 30th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I've been hearing for several years that North Alabama wants to go D1. Maybe they will get an invite from the Big South.

North Alabama will be a good FCS program someday, they just need an invite. They are a little ways out of the Big South footprint but the travel would be nothing compared to what teams in the Midwest and out West face.

Otherwise is it time to consolidate some of the leagues out East? Seems like every conference along the East Coast (except for IVY) is looking for new members.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM
North Alabama will be a good FCS program someday, they just need an invite. They are a little ways out of the Big South footprint but the travel would be nothing compared to what teams in the Midwest and out West face.

Otherwise is it time to consolidate some of the leagues out East? Seems like every conference on the East Coast except for IVY is looking for new members.

Not anymore - most conferences have settled down with the exception of the CAA and they could be done. The ASun and Big South are just suffering from the trickle down effect.

The ASun and Big South could consolidate but it would make a rather large conference and forces all of those schools to play for a single auto-bid.

Laker
May 30th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm hearing that University of Phoenix and the Tattoo Academy of Hoboken are near locks.

At least the University of Phoenix would have a great stadium. :D

http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Anyone know when the Big South has their meeting? Hopefully some news will come out of that.

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Anyone know when the Big South has their meeting? Hopefully some news will come out of that.

they are meeting this week, in Hot Springs, VA...........if FB expansion is not on this week's menu, it'll be on the docket for the next meeting........

SumItUp
May 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Big South Conference meeting is this week.

cmaxwellgsu
May 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM
... is now down to 6 football-playing members.

Liberty - on the next bus to FBS, if it ever happens
Coastal Carolina - on the next bus to the SoCon/CAA, if it ever happens
Gardner-Webb
Presbyterian
Chuck South
Monmouth (in football only)

What's going to happen? Will they limp along with six members? Will they replace VMI with someone else, maybe a D-II moveup? Will Campbell become a scholarship program and get them up to 7 members?

LeHigh is joing.

superman7515
May 30th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Is any D2 really interested in paying a $1 million application fee to the NCAA so they can move to D1 and join the Big South?

fc97
May 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Is any D2 really interested in paying a $1 million application fee to the NCAA so they can move to D1 and join the Big South?

i'm hearing the delaware state will be invited during the meetings.

TheRevSFA
May 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Western Carolina is going to join the Big South. Since App State is leaving the SoCon, they have nothing else to live for, and maybe won't finish in the cellar

Dave195
May 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I believe Ken St. is joining in 2015. Also, MU won't be there for long hopefully (following the Stony Brook model).

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I believe Ken St. is joining in 2015. Also, MU won't be there for long hopefully (following the Stony Brook model).

Hopefully we can get Barbie State too.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Seriously this time ... would KSU or DSU be all sports or just football?

asumike83
May 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Kennesaw St. seems like a no-brainer, as would Campbell and Jacksonville if they committed to scholarship football.

walliver
May 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Western Carolina is going to join the Big South. Since App State is leaving the SoCon, they have nothing else to live for, and maybe won't finish in the cellar

That didn't work when VMI tried that.

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
That didn't work when VMI tried that.

don't remind us....... xsplatx xpissedx

Sir William
May 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Kennesaw St. seems like a no-brainer, as would Campbell and Jacksonville if they committed to scholarship football.

I agree. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kennesaw State become a full member by July 1, if not sooner. It is a no-brainer for both KSU and the Big South.

Campbell is already a member of the Big South in almost every other sport; it would seem the conference would put the "sales pitch" to the Camels to move to schollie ball and join the league in football. It makes sense.

Jacksonville would be a good fit out of the A-Sun, as well; and would probably whip Chuck South right out of the gate.

A darkhorse may also be Stetson - this is their first year playing non-schollie ball in the Pioneer League with Campbell and J'ville. A longshot, but who knows.

WestCoastAggie
May 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Savannah State???

Norfolk State???

NC A&T???

There is definitely chatter.

rokamortis
May 30th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I agree. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kennesaw State become a full member by July 1, if not sooner. It is a no-brainer for both KSU and the BS.

Campbell is already a member of the BS is almost every other sport; it would seem the BS would put the "sales pitch" to the Camels to move to schollie ball and join the league in football. It makes sense.

Jacksonville would be a good fit out of the A-Sun, as well; and would probably whip Chuck South and right out of the gate.

A darkhorse may also be Stetson - this is their first year playing non-schollie ball in the Pioneer League with Campbell and J'ville. A longshot, but who knows.

I think a school would need to decide on their own to make the investment / commitment to spend that kind of money on scholarship football. There is a reason why they decided to go non-scholarship in the first place. I don't think any sales pitch from the conference or peer pressure from the other schools would make a school decide they want to increase their football budget by $500,000+.

Sir William
May 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I think a school would need to decide on their own to make the investment / commitment to spend that kind of money on scholarship football. There is a reason why they decided to go non-scholarship in the first place. I don't think any sales pitch from the conference or peer pressure from the other schools would make a school decide they want to increase their football budget by $500,000+.

Yeah, you're right. I guess for some reason I'm under the impression that Campbell would have their sights on bigger things than the Pioneer.

DoWe
May 30th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Yeah, you're right. I guess for some reason I'm under the impression that Campbell would have their sights on bigger things than the Pioneer.
I reckon that means you think financially the Big South is superior to the Pioneer. There's little or no proof to support that football-wise. And as a Furple maybe you can explain what the SoCon offers financially in football that the Pioneer or Big South doesn't? Is it TV?

Model Citizen
May 30th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Campbell and Jacksonville both aspire to play scholarship football. JU has to finish raising funds for a legit football stadium...they've already made a start.

I give them both five more years (tops) in the Pioneer.

Model Citizen
May 30th, 2013, 10:30 PM
... what the SoCon offers financially in football that the Pioneer...doesn't?

It's not the playoffs. TV might be a factor.

Regarding the PFL, I would think it has more to do with playing regional opponents and developing rivalries. Plus, the Southern Conference better fits the image they want to project. The PFL has no name recognition.

walliver
May 31st, 2013, 06:20 AM
I reckon that means you think financially the Big South is superior to the Pioneer. There's little or no proof to support that football-wise. And as a Furple maybe you can explain what the SoCon offers financially in football that the Pioneer or Big South doesn't? Is it TV?

1) The Big South is somewhat more regionalized (with the exception of Monmouth) which reduces travel expenses. The PFL is literally all over the place with the largest footprint in all of college football (Florida to New York to California). Many schools can pay for full scholarships or pay for airplane flights, but not both.
2) PFL teams may be competitive against the bottom half of the Big South, but it's a stretch to think any PFL team plays at the level of CCU or Liberty. Is there proof? Since PFL teams seldom play outside their league, there is none. but the playoffs in 2013 will be informative.
3) The PFL gets a bid this year, but no PFL team has previously been judged worthy of an at-large NCAA bid.
4) The PFL is a one sport conference. Many, probably most, scholls would like to play in a single conference for all sports when possible.
As for money ... there is no real money until you get to BCS level.

DoWe
May 31st, 2013, 07:42 AM
1) The Big South is somewhat more regionalized (with the exception of Monmouth) which reduces travel expenses. The PFL is literally all over the place with the largest footprint in all of college football (Florida to New York to California). Many schools can pay for full scholarships or pay for airplane flights, but not both.
2) PFL teams may be competitive against the bottom half of the Big South, but it's a stretch to think any PFL team plays at the level of CCU or Liberty. Is there proof? Since PFL teams seldom play outside their league, there is none. but the playoffs in 2013 will be informative.
3) The PFL gets a bid this year, but no PFL team has previously been judged worthy of an at-large NCAA bid.
4) The PFL is a one sport conference. Many, probably most, scholls would like to play in a single conference for all sports when possible.
As for money ... there is no real money until you get to BCS level.
Thank you walliver. That was a very good and thorough explanation. To me it makes no sense that there is such a disparity within FCS itself, but I suppose realistically there's bigger difference between the SEC and the lower level FBS conferences than there is between Pioneer and the Big South or SoCon.

HPU2008
May 31st, 2013, 08:51 AM
In comparing the Big South vs. PFL, one advantage of the Big South is the ability to play FBS opponents. Playing FBS opponents typically nets FCS schools a nice payout, this payout can help offset the costs of awarding scholarships. Charleston Southern has played multiple FCS opponents over the years, I believe this is largely how they fund their football team. I can not find any record of PFL teams playing FBS teams.

rokamortis
May 31st, 2013, 09:05 AM
In comparing the Big South vs. PFL, one advantage of the Big South is the ability to play FBS opponets. Playing FBS opponents typically nets FCS schools a nice payout, this payout can help offset the costs of awarding scholarships. Charleston Southern has played multiple FCS opponents over the years, I believe this is largely how they fund their football team. I can not find any record of PFL teams playing FBS teams.

Some schools rely too heavily on the FBS payouts though.

cmaxwellgsu
May 31st, 2013, 09:08 AM
In comparing the Big South vs. PFL, one advantage of the Big South is the ability to play FBS opponents. Playing FBS opponents typically nets FCS schools a nice payout, this payout can help offset the costs of awarding scholarships. Charleston Southern has played multiple FCS opponents over the years, I believe this is largely how they fund their football team. I can not find any record of PFL teams playing FBS teams.

Non-scholly leagues won't be playing FBS. They wouldn't count toward bowl games.

HPU2008
May 31st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the clarification, I noticed non-scholarship teams didn't play FBS but didn't know the reasoning behind it.

Model Citizen
May 31st, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sometimes, the FBS team doesn't care--for example, Army v. Yale in 2014.

HPU2008
May 31st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know how likely it is the Big South will add a MEAC team? The MEAC team that seems to have the most rumors circulating about a move to the Big South is Delaware State.

It seems like the Big South would be more interested in adding teams like NC A&T and SC State. Both of these teams make more sense from a geographic/travel standpoint. Also, these schools are stronger academically than DSU.

rokamortis
May 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know how likely it is the Big South will add a MEAC team? The MEAC team that seems to have the most rumors circulating about a move to the Big South is Delaware State.

It seems like the Big South would be more interested in adding teams like NC A&T and SC State. Both of these teams make more sense from a geographic/travel standpoint. Also, these schools are stronger academically than DSU.

All speculation as far as I know. There haven't been any strong rumors that I've read - just rumblings and grumblings.

Do the MEAC schools really want out that badly?

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Sometimes, the FBS team doesn't care--for example, Army v. Yale in 2014.

That's a special case as it's for the 100th anniversary of the first game played at the Yale Bowl.

heath
May 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxIf you only could see their stadium(jr high field)you might think differently. FWIW, new coach might lead the Camels in a new direction

superman7515
June 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
So did anything come out of last weeks meetings? For their sake I hope they made some sort of plan if they want to keep sponsoring football.

Libertine
June 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
For their sake I hope they made some sort of plan if they want to keep sponsoring football.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha! You said "plan" and "Big South" in the same sentence.

MarkCCU
June 3rd, 2013, 12:30 PM

I haven't heard any rumors of NC A&T or SCSU. SCSU is embroiled in scandal right now and i'm not sure the conference wants that attention.

HPU2008
June 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
The latest rumor I have heard is:

Delaware State all sports invite

Kennessaw State football only invite

rokamortis
June 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
The latest rumor I have heard is:

Delaware State all sports invite

Kennessaw State football only invite

Not too bad - good to get football built up. I think the KSU football only invite is a concession for the ASun - but we should make them join in all sports.

Any word if they'll be accepted? I can't imagine they wouldn't be - the BSC is probably the only real option for these schools at this point.

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't heard any rumors of NC A&T or SCSU. SCSU is embroiled in scandal right now and i'm not sure the conference wants that attention.

Our Chancellor, AD and BOT at A&T won't sign off on a move to the Big South.

WestCoastAggie
June 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Questions: Why isn't Campbell being pushed to issue scholarships for football? Is High Point looking to start Football?

HPU2008
June 3rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
Questions: Why isn't Campbell being pushed to issue scholarships for football? Is High Point looking to start Football?

In recent years, High Point has done some preliminary studies on re-starting football. The consensus of the study was HPU will eventually restart their football program, but this is not a priority for the university at this time. HPU has several projects for new academic buildings and a new arena which they want to complete before getting serious about re-starting football.

Sandlapper Spike
June 3rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Why wouldn't the Big South want Kennesaw State to join for all sports?

superman7515
June 3rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Is High Point looking to start Football?

Just two days ago...

High Point Feels At Home In The Big South (http://www.hpe.com/sports/x1592165443/HPU-feels-at-home-in-Big-South)

The wheels continue to move at such a pace that Keilitz admits he must continually watch how they move, even though HPU may not be as attractive as some other schools because It does not participate in football — the money sport that drives realignments. It is the reason Big South member Liberty is seeking a new conference.

“It’s something that we continually evaluate,” Keilitz said of the changing landscape. “With athletics serving as the front door of the university, you want to be in position to put the university in the best light possible. So, we’re always evaluating what’s best for the university. It’s something we evaluate weekly. I think if an athletics director is not doing that, he’s not doing his job.”

Something that Keilitz isn’t re-evaluating is the possibility of adding football and taking on the multi-million dollar investment that would be required.

“It just doesn’t fit in well with what we are trying to do,” Keilitz said. “It would take so much money to get it started and that doesn’t include the capital expense of a stadium.”

In fact, Keilitz isn’t looking to add any sports.

“Not at this time,” Keilitz said. “We like the number of sports that we have. One of the problems we have is being landlocked, so that makes it tough to add any outdoor sports. I don’t see anything soon.”

Not even a revival of tennis.

“We would have to replace the courts, which would mean quite a sizable investment to do it right,” Keilitz said. “We still have a tennis program at the club level and have about 60 kids participating. But eliminating that from the intercollegiate budget and concentrating on our other sports turned out well.”

If they are so dirt poor they can't afford tennis courts, football is out of the question.

HPU2008
June 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Why wouldn't the Big South want Kennesaw State to join for all sports?

For the majority of their sports Big South would like to stay with the 12 team 2 division format. Following this model, they only need 1 all sports member at this time.

ASUMountaineer
June 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Just two days ago...

High Point Feels At Home In The Big South (http://www.hpe.com/sports/x1592165443/HPU-feels-at-home-in-Big-South)

If they are so dirt poor they can't afford tennis courts, football is out of the question.

I guess he's not having as much success as he anticipated courting all of the yankee kids from up north.

HPU2008
June 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
I guess he's not having as much success as he anticipated courting all of the yankee kids from up north.

High Point had over 7,000 applicants admitting around 62%, the school is not having any trouble attracting students.

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
High Point had over 7,000 applicants admitting around 62%, the school is not having any trouble attracting students.

That's a high accept number but HPU's 30% yield (those who actually enroll out of that 62%) is comparable to many of its peers.

Courtesy of the NY Times, some yield rates at selective I-AA schools. Note they did not survey all schools.

Harvard 82.0%
Princeton 66.9%
Penn 64.2%
Brown 59.2%
Dartmouth 48.5%
William & Mary 31.6%
Holy Cross 30.7%
Elon 28.4%
Lafayette 28.3%

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/category/admissions-data/

ASU_Fanatic
June 3rd, 2013, 08:13 PM
GO GARDNER WEBB

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 07:52 AM

If that's the case, then the school shouldn't be hurting for cash. Perhaps HPU is having a problem attracting the "type" of student its president so covets. He has said that they would raise a lot of revenue by recruiting wealthy students from the NE. He went further saying that HPU wasn't after the same types of kids as "an App State." I grew up just outside of High Point, and we have an HPU alum in the family--I'm familiar with HPU. However, it won't bother me for HPU to have a lot of cash problems as long as it has such a pompous leader in charge.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 09:39 AM
If that's the case, then the school shouldn't be hurting for cash. Perhaps HPU is having a problem attracting the "type" of student its president so covets. He has said that they would raise a lot of revenue by recruiting wealthy students from the NE. He went further saying that HPU wasn't after the same types of kids as "an App State." I grew up just outside of High Point, and we have an HPU alum in the family--I'm familiar with HPU. However, it won't bother me for HPU to have a lot of cash problems as long as it has such a pompous leader in charge.

The "big money" for a lot of schools consists of recruiting affluent kids from the mid-atlantic area that can pay full tuition. Generally, these are kids whose academics are good, but not necessarily good enough to get admission to their local respected schools. It is not just a private school phenomenon, and has become a big issue in South Carolina where state schools such as CofC (the worst offender), but also Clemson, and to some extent South Carolina, are apparently preferentially accepting wealthy out-of-state students over in-state residents. This is the real reason Elon and CofC moved.

catamount man
June 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Big South needs to add Jacksonville and Stetson and be done with it. Maybe UNC-Pembroke could move up?

superman7515
June 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Again, I would find it hard to believe anyone is paying a $1 million application fee to the NCAA just to join the Big South with all of its instability issues.

walliver
June 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM
D2 teams don't need to be "invited" to move up. Any team looking to move up will not be influenced by a Big South bid. Most schools transition as independents.

rokamortis
June 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Again, I would find it hard to believe anyone is paying a $1 million application fee to the NCAA just to join the Big South with all of its instability issues.

Why is it hard to believe? Some schools want to be D1 and play scholarship football. If so, they've already committed regardless of the conference. If that school is in the Big South footprint then the BSC is likely the only option for them. I'm sure many schools would love to just jump into the SoCon or CAA - but that probably isn't going to happen.

superman7515
June 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
D2 teams don't need to be "invited" to move up. Any team looking to move up will not be influenced by a Big South bid. Most schools transition as independents.

Yes, but the suggestion was they would move up with the intent of joining the Big South. If moving up was contigent upon the long term viability of the Big South, then there is no way they can make that move with any due diligence seeing the teams leaving and wanting to leave the conference. If they can add a couple of members who will be there for the long-term and then talk to someone about moving up, that's different. But as of right now, I don't see it happening.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM

This is why I'm casting a long look at D-II independent North Greenville as a potential move-up. Apparently they've made their intentions known, too, that they want to move up. There appears to be a buyer and a seller.

rokamortis
June 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Yes, but the suggestion was they would move up with the intent of joining the Big South. If moving up was contigent upon the long term viability of the Big South, then there is no way they can make that move with any due diligence seeing the teams leaving and wanting to leave the conference. If they can add a couple of members who will be there for the long-term and then talk to someone about moving up, that's different. But as of right now, I don't see it happening.

Only one school has left. Two have made it known that they are open to leaving but have nowhere to go. The CAA has a number of schools rumored to be ready to jump to other conferences, does that make it unstable?

The autobid may be in question but the stability is there.

MarkCCU
June 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Big South needs to add Jacksonville and Stetson and be done with it. Maybe UNC-Pembroke could move up?
You know what the Big South needs to do? NOT add Jacksonville and Stetson.

superman7515
June 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Only one school has left. Two have made it known that they are open to leaving but have nowhere to go. The CAA has a number of schools rumored to be ready to jump to other conferences, does that make it unstable?

The autobid may be in question but the stability is there.

The CAA has one school rumored to be ready to jump to another conference, JMU to the MAC. They won't lose an AQ over one school leaving. Monmouth is only a temporary lease, Liberty will shine whatever knob is presented to it first, and that alone puts the Big South below the minimum needed without the known interest of other schools wanting to leave.

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 02:42 PM
The "big money" for a lot of schools consists of recruiting affluent kids from the mid-atlantic area that can pay full tuition. Generally, these are kids whose academics are good, but not necessarily good enough to get admission to their local respected schools. It is not just a private school phenomenon, and has become a big issue in South Carolina where state schools such as CofC (the worst offender), but also Clemson, and to some extent South Carolina, are apparently preferentially accepting wealthy out-of-state students over in-state residents. This is the real reason Elon and CofC moved.

I don't doubt it. My point was that, HPU must not be having much success with their recruiting efforts if they are cash-strapped.

HPU2008
June 4th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I don't doubt it. My point was that, HPU must not be having much success with their recruiting efforts if they are cash-strapped.

High Point is not cash strapped, a couple months ago they announced a 60 million dollar building to support expansion of its Health Sciences and proposed pharmacy school.

http://www.journalnow.com/business/business_news/local/article_925d88a8-8cc3-11e2-a01f-0019bb30f31a.html

ASUMountaineer
June 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM
High Point is not cash strapped, a couple months ago they announced a 60 million dollar building to support expansion of its Health Sciences and proposed pharmacy school.

http://www.journalnow.com/business/business_news/local/article_925d88a8-8cc3-11e2-a01f-0019bb30f31a.html

Why didn't you say that before? Of course, they also can't afford men's tennis, so I'm not sure that is in your favor.

rokamortis
June 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM
The CAA has one school rumored to be ready to jump to another conference, JMU to the MAC. They won't lose an AQ over one school leaving. Monmouth is only a temporary lease, Liberty will shine whatever knob is presented to it first, and that alone puts the Big South below the minimum needed without the known interest of other schools wanting to leave.

Monmouth is a 4 year deal so that buys some time. It doesn't appear that Liberty has an FBS conference ready to offer them. There are indications that the BSC has offered a couple of schools so if / when that is announced that will be a good buffer for the autobid.

The Cats
June 4th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Here's quotes from an article on High Point, titled: Bubble U.: High Point University

John Nelson, head of the higher education ratings group at Moody’s Investors Service (MCO), says that in 20 years as an analyst he’s never seen an institution like High Point. “It looks more like a growth company,” he says. Moody’s downgraded the university’s debt rating to junk status in 2009 as it ran up some $165 million in debt to become one of the most highly leveraged schools in the country. “The rate at which they borrowed and the aggressiveness of investment in facilities and marketing of the campus,” Nelson says, all set High Point apart.

As debt ballooned, he got waivers to avoid breaching loan covenants, according to Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. He raided the school’s meager $46 million endowment to buy real estate; among other things, the university now owns a half-empty shopping mall and a former Methodist retirement community that’s been converted to student housing. The university’s former leadership “was hung up on money,” he says. “That’s not how it is in business. The money follows the idea.”

To make the numbers add up, High Point needs thousands of kids from affluent families who require minimal financial aid and can pay top dollar for the swanky accommodations. The make-or-break element of Qubein’s 21st century university, in other words, is cash flow.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-19/bubble-u-dot-high-point-university#p2

Sir William
June 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM
There are indications that the BSC has offered a couple of schools....

What couple? I'm guessing that you are talking about Kennesaw for one?

rokamortis
June 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM
What couple? I'm guessing that you are talking about Kennesaw for one?

Yes - KSU and Delaware State. All rumors at this point (posted in this thread on post 43.) The HPU poster seems to have an idea of what is going on - but there has not been anything official as far as I know.

Sir William
June 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Yes - KSU and Delaware State.

I can see the BSC being interested in KSU and vice versa, but I don't get Delaware State. Help me understand.

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I can see the BSC being interested in KSU and vice versa, but I don't get Delaware State. Help me understand.

Delaware State has been looking to move to another conference for some time now. I don't know if it will happen but we will see. If it's getting out they were invited then that may mean they are open to accepting it.

xcoffeex

rokamortis
June 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Delaware State has been looking to move to another conference for some time now. I don't know if it will happen but we will see. If it's getting out they were invited then that may mean they are open to accepting it.

xcoffeex

And from the BSC standpoint, DSU is a warm body to build up the number of teams playing football. It is a much better option than hoping for a D2 school to move up and transition.

DSUrocks07
June 5th, 2013, 04:00 PM
And from the BSC standpoint, DSU is a warm body to build up the number of teams playing football. It is a much better option than hoping for a D2 school to move up and transition.

DSU has had success in several sports that the BSC sponsors (football, baseball, softball, basketball, track). Replacing a VMI with a DSU would be a net positive for the league.

Even if we are just viewed as a "warm body". I don't expect us to be the doormat in all sports that some are inferring...

Sir William
June 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
DSU has had success in several sports that the BSC sponsors (football, baseball, softball, basketball, track). Replacing a VMI with a DSU would be a net positive for the league.

Even if we are just viewed as a "warm body". I don't expect us to be the doormat in all sports that some are inferring...

Yep, I would expect you guys to compete immediately, certainly at least on the football field. Hope it works out for you and the BSC.

knucklehead
June 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4599008

(Sports Network) - Big South commissioner Kyle Kallander expressed confidence on Wednesday that his Division I conference can stabilize in football amid the merry-go-round that is conference realignment.

The Big South, based in Charlotte, N.C., will lose associate member Stony Brook to the Colonial Athletic Association this year and learned last week that full member VMI will depart for its former conference, the Southern Conference, after the 2013-14 school year.

rokamortis
June 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM

I can see how the statement could be seen negatively, but it wasn't the intent. I meant that at the very least it raises the number of football schools. I do think DSU would be an athletic upgrade over VMI and would be competitive in a number of sports - I welcome the hornets with open arms.

walliver
June 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM

In football, the Big South has CCU and Liberty (now that Stony Brook has gone) and everybody else is a potential doormat. I don't think anyone would look at an established FCS program as the new doormat.

hebmskebm
June 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm curious as to why Delaware State is so anxious to leave the MEAC. Their travel would be just as bad in the Big South. Is the quality of athletics in the BS that much greater than that in the MEAC?

Laker
June 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I'm curious as to why Delaware State is so anxious to leave the MEAC. Their travel would be just as bad in the Big South. Is the quality of athletics in the BS that much greater than that in the MEAC?

I'm guessing that the perception is that it is better.

DSUrocks07
June 10th, 2013, 11:35 AM

There's buzz that the direction of the conference no longer fits the direction that Delaware State wants to go regarding athletics. That's why rumors of a conference shift have been going on for a few years now. Either Big South or the NEC. Personally I believe the NEC makes more sense (a northeast basis conference where a majority of our alums are from, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston) but that's just my opinion.

ngineer
June 10th, 2013, 11:29 PM
At least the University of Phoenix would have a great stadium. :D

http://www.universityofphoenixstadium.com/

Problem is a big concern that the players would just 'mail it in'....(;-)

walliver
June 11th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Problem is a big concern that the players would just 'mail it in'....(;-)

Isn't that what Johnny Football is doing at A&M?

phoenix3
June 11th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Finally! Someone who understands this!