PDA

View Full Version : It's official - SoCon adds ETSU, Mercer and VMI

Sir William
May 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
www.soconsports.com

Welcome Bucs, Bears and Keydets! Long live the SoCon!

SpeedkingATL
May 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Still wonder about the inclusion of VMI but ETSU and Mercer should fit in nicely. Personally would have thought Kennesaw State would have gotten more support but I guess with Mercer coming on board, VMI does a better job of expanding the regional footprint. Congrats to the 3 new SoCon universities.

CID1990
May 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM
ETSU and VMI- welcome back!!

Mercer- Welcome Aboard! (We need some Bears to replace our departing Twinks)

Mountaineer
May 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Congrats to the new invitees. Lookin' forward to seeing how they do in the coming years. xthumbsupx

Really glad ETSU has returned to where they belong (yay football).

Apphole
May 30th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hopefully the AGS server doesn't crash from the massive influx of Mercer fans.

eaglewraith
May 30th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Socon baseball and basketball better watch out. Mercer are definitely not slouches in either of those sports.

ETSUfan1
May 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
It's good to be back home.

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
ETSU and VMI- welcome back!!

Mercer- Welcome Aboard! (We need some Bears to replace our departing Twinks)

xrotatehx xhighfivex xbeerchugx

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 02:11 PM

hello, "again"........keep us in the loop regarding Coaches and stadium.......

TheRevSFA
May 30th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Is it now the Military Classic of the SoCon, and the winner gets the Silver Corndog?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Welcome back, ETSU!

Two rights wronged with this move: the separation of VMI/The Citadel, and ETSU's drop of football. xthumbsupx

CID1990
May 30th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Is it now the Military Classic of the SoCon, and the winner gets the Silver Corndog?

Is that a serious question?

ElCid
May 30th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I think it is great to have ETSU and VMI back. Welcome back! Getting Mercer is great as well. Welcome aboard! Overall the SOCON may have taken a hit for a while, but change, while not always welcome, is always exciting.

Jiggs
May 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Welcome to all three institutions. Samford is 9-10-1 versus Mercer. Last game: 1941. Time to even the score.

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 02:50 PM

just like the winner of Stevie Austin and Sam Houston gets the silver steer dung bowl.

Eagle22
May 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Don't sweat it, everyone knows it's not real silver xlolx

TheRevSFA
May 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM
just like the winner of Stevie Austin and Sam Houston gets the silver steer dung bowl.

Actually we play for a bowl of Chili without beans.

TheRevSFA
May 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Is it not silver? Is it really just aluminum foil?

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2013, 03:08 PM

I'm an alum of both Furman and Mercer. Arrived twice.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 30th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Socon baseball and basketball better watch out. Mercer are definitely not slouches in either of those sports.

ETSU won the Atlantic Sun baseball title and will be playing Vanderbilt in the Nashville Regional.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
May 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM
As an ETSU alumnus, it's good to be back to where we belong.

asumike83
May 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I'm an alum of both Furman and Mercer. Arrived twice.

Well, that explains why you think they are every bit Davidson's equal in basketball. :)

In all seriousness, congrats to the new members. I know ETSU/VMI are happy to be back, especially ETSU now that they're reviving the football program. Mercer will be a very nice baseball/basketball addition from the start with the potential to build a nice FCS football program.

Nova09
May 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
ETSU won the Atlantic Sun baseball title and will be playing Vanderbilt in the Nashville Regional.

Because the A-Sun had some crazy 8 team double elimination tournament. Mercer was top 20-25 RPI all year and selected as an at-large to the CWS field.

Nova09
May 30th, 2013, 03:27 PM
All Mercer sports with the exception of men’s and women’s lacrosse and women’s sand volleyball, will compete in the Southern Conference. That includes football, which this fall will resume competition after at 72-year hiatus and play in the Pioneer Football League for 2013 only. Beginning in 2014, Mercer will award athletic scholarships in football to academically qualified student-athletes, as it does in other intercollegiate sports. Because the Southern Conference does not sponsor the sports, lacrosse and sand volleyball will seek to compete in a conference that does.

http://mercerbears.com/athleticDept/SoCon_Invite

Surprising, obviously the long term plan was to add scholarships to football but didn't think they'd do it right off the bat, before they've even played a game. Which current SoCon schools sponsor lacrosse?

ASUMountaineer
May 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Actually we play for a bowl of hot dog sauce.

FIFY. xlolx

SpiritCymbal

Amen! Go BUCS!

No football...No fun!

eaglewraith
Surprising, obviously the long term plan was to add scholarships to football but didn't think they'd do it right off the bat, before they've even played a game. Which current SoCon schools sponsor lacrosse?

I know App does, not sure of any others.

Apphole
May 30th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I know App does, not sure of any others.

No we don't. Lacrosse is a club team at App State.

eaglewraith
May 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM
No we don't. Lacrosse is a club team at App State.

My bad. Just knew the lines used to be on the field at KBS.

walliver
May 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Furman is starting a varsity program.
Most other members have club teams only, although some are rumored to be considering it. It may not be a big spectator sport in the south, but does attract financially well-off players who can afford to pay private or out-of-state-public tuition.

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 03:56 PM
For those wondering....

All Mercer sports with the exception of men's and women's lacrosse and women's sand volleyball, will compete in the Southern Conference. That includes football, which this fall will resume competition after at 72-year hiatus and play in the Pioneer Football League for 2013 only. Beginning in 2014, Mercer will award athletic scholarships in football to academically qualified student-athletes, as it does in other intercollegiate sports. Because the Southern Conference does not sponsor the sports, lacrosse and sand volleyball will seek to compete in a conference that does.

http://news.mercer.edu/articles/2013/mercer-university-accepts-invitation-to-join-the-southern-conference.cfm#.Uae6eEDVCSp

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM

ETSU and Mercer both made the tournament.

walliver
May 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM
For those wondering....

http://news.mercer.edu/articles/2013/mercer-university-accepts-invitation-to-join-the-southern-conference.cfm#.Uae6eEDVCSp

I have heard from somewhat reliable sources that although Mercer is currently "non scholarship", they have extended grants and academic scholarships equivalent to 50 scholarships. They could be competetive very quickly. Most likely they will finish 1-6 in the SoCon in 2014 (ETSU won't play football in the SoCon until 2015 as I understand it), but could move up quickly.

Startups can be hard to predict. Georgia Southern and ODU rose to the top quickly. FAU, but not FIU, was successful quickly (FCS playoffs in 3d year). CCU developed quickly, but had trouble maintaining the momentum. ... on the other hand, there is Georgia State.

ElCid
May 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Don't sweat it, everyone knows it's not real silver xlolx

Not sure if you are joking or not, but while not solid, it actually is covered in silver. Here is the article form last year's game day notes about it. Interesting reading in any event. This is as told by Col. Jake Burrows ‘40.

"Shortly after he became President of The Citadel, Lt Gen Seignious asked me to come up with a perpetual trophy that the football teams of The Citadel and VMI could compete for on an annual basis. He had already selected a very appropriate name for the game: “The Military Classic of the South.”

Keeping in mind the roles of each college, I naturally thought of some military item common to both schools. The cadet sword was considered but discarded as being too unwieldy to make into a trophy. The shako offered a more compact form, and I envisaged the shako devices from each school on the front of the trophy.

A colleague from VMI sent me one of their shako devices, and I found an old, discarded shako in The Citadel’s tailor shop. I then cut holes in the shako and attached the devices. The pom-pom was of course included. I took this rough trophy to General Seignious and described a wooden base for it, on which silver plates would be attached to describe the trophy and to record the yearly results of each game. The General approved the concept and gave me the go-ahead.

Until this time, only one person at VMI knew what we were planning. The time had come to get VMI’s official approval of “The Military Classic of the South” and the proposed trophy. VMI was initially not very enthusiastic about the whole idea. VMI had traditional rivals in their own state, such as the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, William & Mary and Richmond. Nonetheless, they shortly approved the project and we moved on.

At this point, I called on Citadel graduate Whit Cline, who was a representative of the L.G. Balfour Company, a nationally known manufacturer of trophies and rings. Whit came from his Columbia office, and I described the proposed trophy to him. At that time, I thought that Balfour would make a mold of the trophy and cast it perhaps in bronze or another suitable metal. Whit took the shako with him and soon after called to say that Balfour suggested a silver trophy which they could make by covering the shako with a fine silver thread and then melting the thread into a solid coating. That appeared to be a good solution and “Silver Shako” had a nice alliterative sound to it. Thus “The Silver Shako” was born. The cost of the trophy was $532.72 and VMI paid for half of it.

The Balfour Company completed the trophy in time for the 1976 game, which was played in Charleston. Bobby Ross, a VMI graduate, was The Citadel coach. The scenario called for the President of each college, the head coach and players of each team to meet at midfield after the game, and the trophy would be presented to the President of the winning college.

Horror of horrors, The Citadel lost, 30-14! General Seignious was a good sport and manfully carried out his role. Ross was nearly in tears and his players retired immediately to their locker room. Of course, the VMI team was on the field in force, properly gleeful over their victory. Thirty two games have now been played in the series with the shako up for grabs, of which The Citadel has won 21, lost 10 and tied one."

This record quoted is for the Silver Shako. The overall record now stands at 36-30-2 in The Citadel's favor.

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I have heard from somewhat reliable sources that although Mercer is currently "non scholarship", they have extended grants and academic scholarships equivalent to 50 scholarships. They could be competetive very quickly. Most likely they will finish 1-6 in the SoCon in 2014 (ETSU won't play football in the SoCon until 2015 as I understand it), but could move up quickly.

Startups can be hard to predict. Georgia Southern and ODU rose to the top quickly. FAU, but not FIU, was successful quickly (FCS playoffs in 3d year). CCU developed quickly, but had trouble maintaining the momentum. ... on the other hand, there is Georgia State.

Mercer has a head coach that knows what he's doing. They have already brought in a number of FBS transfers. They are in one of the most football rich areas in the country.

I expect them to progress about like Elon did. They'll be bad for a while, but I think they'll be competitive soon enough.

I noted this on another thread, but Mercer has a good chunk of change sitting in the bank.

ElCid
May 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Welcome to all three institutions. Samford is 9-10-1 versus Mercer. Last game: 1941. Time to even the score.

The Citadel has a score to settle also. The last football game ETSU played on 22 Nov 03 they beat my Bulldogs 16-13! We are only 9-15 against ETSU so we have catching up to do. Our last game against Mercer was in 1931. We are 6-4-1 against them. It will be exciting once these schools get up to snuff.

CID1990
May 30th, 2013, 04:51 PM
The Citadel has a score to settle also. The last football game ETSU played on 22 Nov 03 they beat my Bulldogs 16-13! We are only 9-15 against ETSU so we have catching up to do. Our last game against Mercer was in 1931. We are 6-4-1 against them. It will be exciting once these schools get up to snuff.

I can still smell that dome in my mind.

Eagle22
May 30th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Not sure if you are joking or not, but while not solid, it actually is covered in silver. Here is the article form last year's game day notes about it. Interesting reading in any event. This is as told by Col. Jake Burrows ‘40.

"Shortly after he became President of The Citadel, Lt Gen Seignious asked me to come up with a perpetual trophy that the football teams of The Citadel and VMI could compete for on an annual basis. He had already selected a very appropriate name for the game: “The Military Classic of the South.”

Keeping in mind the roles of each college, I naturally thought of some military item common to both schools. The cadet sword was considered but discarded as being too unwieldy to make into a trophy. The shako offered a more compact form, and I envisaged the shako devices from each school on the front of the trophy.

A colleague from VMI sent me one of their shako devices, and I found an old, discarded shako in The Citadel’s tailor shop. I then cut holes in the shako and attached the devices. The pom-pom was of course included. I took this rough trophy to General Seignious and described a wooden base for it, on which silver plates would be attached to describe the trophy and to record the yearly results of each game. The General approved the concept and gave me the go-ahead.

Until this time, only one person at VMI knew what we were planning. The time had come to get VMI’s official approval of “The Military Classic of the South” and the proposed trophy. VMI was initially not very enthusiastic about the whole idea. VMI had traditional rivals in their own state, such as the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, William & Mary and Richmond. Nonetheless, they shortly approved the project and we moved on.

At this point, I called on Citadel graduate Whit Cline, who was a representative of the L.G. Balfour Company, a nationally known manufacturer of trophies and rings. Whit came from his Columbia office, and I described the proposed trophy to him. At that time, I thought that Balfour would make a mold of the trophy and cast it perhaps in bronze or another suitable metal. Whit took the shako with him and soon after called to say that Balfour suggested a silver trophy which they could make by covering the shako with a fine silver thread and then melting the thread into a solid coating. That appeared to be a good solution and “Silver Shako” had a nice alliterative sound to it. Thus “The Silver Shako” was born. The cost of the trophy was $532.72 and VMI paid for half of it.

The Balfour Company completed the trophy in time for the 1976 game, which was played in Charleston. Bobby Ross, a VMI graduate, was The Citadel coach. The scenario called for the President of each college, the head coach and players of each team to meet at midfield after the game, and the trophy would be presented to the President of the winning college.

Horror of horrors, The Citadel lost, 30-14! General Seignious was a good sport and manfully carried out his role. Ross was nearly in tears and his players retired immediately to their locker room. Of course, the VMI team was on the field in force, properly gleeful over their victory. Thirty two games have now been played in the series with the shako up for grabs, of which The Citadel has won 21, lost 10 and tied one."

This record quoted is for the Silver Shako. The overall record now stands at 36-30-2 in The Citadel's favor.

Yeah, just joking. I know it was silver, but was trying to be funny ignoring the corndog part.

ElCid
May 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Yeah, just joking. I know it was silver, but was trying to be funny ignoring the corndog part.

You are correct of course...it does look like a corn dog!xlolx

But please refer to it as a silver corn dog in all future postings!

Eagle22
May 30th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mercer has a head coach that knows what he's doing. They have already brought in a number of FBS transfers. They are in one of the most football rich areas in the country.

I expect them to progress about like Elon did. They'll be bad for a while, but I think they'll be competitive soon enough.

I noted this on another thread, but Mercer has a good chunk of change sitting in the bank.

I think they'll be better than Elon was, solely because Bobby knows what he's getting into. While Hamilton had a clue what the SoCon was about, he didn't have the players and Seagraves was pretty much out of his league.

I suspect they'll be better quicker than the rest of the SoCon would like. I know that a few of the players Bobby has on campus right now are SoCon level quality and by 2014 they'll be putting some strain on those recruiting ties that Furman, Samford & Wofford have mined in Georgia.

T-Dog
May 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM
He's back.

http://www.spartanburgtouchdownclub.com/2009-10/images/Awards%20090409/IMG_0669.jpg

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 05:20 PM
There is no doubt that Bobby's a real asset for Mercer coming into the SoCon. He'll make it much more difficult for all the SoCon schools to get the recruits they want in Georgia.

Things certainly have fell into place for him since his departure from Furman, and I'm sure he was all smiles today.

CID1990
May 30th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Go for two!

T-Dog
May 30th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Also, Sparky Woods, App's coach from 84-88, is back in the SoCon as well.

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Also, Sparky Woods, App's coach from 84-88, is back in the SoCon as well.

That's certainly a name Catamout fans remember well.

Eaglesrus
May 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM
In my view this is a good move for both the conference and all three schools. Congratulations to all parties involved!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 30th, 2013, 05:47 PM
In my view this is a good move for both the conference and all three schools. Congratulations to all parties involved!

Can't even remember if I commented on this thread but in case I didn't I echo this sentiment.

kdinva
May 30th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Mercer's Men's Lacrosse will "remain" in the A-Sun, as next Spring the A-Sun will sponsor Men's Lacrosse. League will include VMI, UR, High Point, Furman, Jacksonville U.

Women's Lacrosse should "stay" in the Atl-Sun (Elon has women's lacrosse joining next year {instead of the Big South, with High Point as a natural rival?}). Elon + Mercer will give the A-Sun seven women's lacrosse teams.

For those wondering....

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Mercer just released this.....

Mercer Accepts Southern Conference Invite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T_GviZzHyUo

Smitty
May 30th, 2013, 07:42 PM
You think there will be any more invites?

Saint3333
May 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Not unless the SoCon expects more exits. This puts them at 9 football schools in 2015 and keeps CCU out.

Congrats to the three incoming schools it is a great move for all three.

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Not unless the SoCon expects more exits. This puts them at 9 football schools in 2015 and keeps CCU out.

As much as I'd like CCU in the SoCon, I agree 9 football playing schools will be the limit.

It's worked well for the SoCon at 9 for a long time, and I don't think there would be enough support to go to divisional play among the current members.

The Cats
May 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM

As much as I'd like CCU in the SoCon, I agree 9 football playing schools will be the limit.

It's worked well for the SoCon at 9 for a long time, and I don't think there would be enough support to go to divisional play among the current members.

However, there could be support for basketball (non-football) members out there. UNC-W, Belmont, etc. if they became eligible. I would also see support for Richmond (football) and W&M if they became eligible as well.

appsfan
May 30th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Congratulations to the SoCon and the invitees. Maybe things will settle down a bit now. Which of the additions will win a conference football game first?

dgtw
May 30th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Will ETSU or Mercer be adding any women's sports due to the addition of football scholarships?

Southern Bison
May 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM

Once you depart AGS after getting tired of ****ting on the AGS/FCS front porch since the day App became part of the Sunbelt and FBS, the servers should be just fine.

Congrats to ETSU, VMI, & Mercer on joining the SoCon.

CID1990
May 30th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Once you depart AGS after getting tired of ****ting on the AGS/FCS front porch since App became part of the Sunbelt and FBS, the servers should be just fine.

Don't say that. You'll be accused of jealousy.

Crikey!

Sent from the center of the universe.

Southern Bison
May 30th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Don't say that. You'll be accused of jealousy.

Jealousy is a 100 level class taught at the home of the Fighting Whioux....the class runs for the rest of their lives.

Tribe4SF
May 31st, 2013, 05:22 AM
Mercer's Men's Lacrosse will "remain" in the A-Sun, as next Spring the A-Sun will sponsor Men's Lacrosse. League will include VMI, UR, High Point, Furman, Jacksonville U.

Women's Lacrosse should "stay" in the Atl-Sun (Elon has women's lacrosse joining next year {instead of the Big South, with High Point as a natural rival?}). Elon + Mercer will give the A-Sun seven women's lacrosse teams.

Elon women's lacrosse will play in the CAA. I believe ODU and George Mason are staying for that sport, and W&M, JMU, Towson, Delaware, Hofstra, and Drexel all have programs.

henfan
May 31st, 2013, 08:03 AM
Elon women's lacrosse will play in the CAA. I believe ODU and George Mason are staying for that sport, and W&M, JMU, Towson, Delaware, Hofstra, and Drexel all have programs.

Of course, the CAA does have a MLAX conference and a very good one at that. Should be easy for Furman to move right in when they bring the rest of their sports over. ;)

AshevilleApp2
May 31st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Good additions for the SoCon.

CID1990
May 31st, 2013, 09:14 AM
That's certainly a name Catamout fans remember well.

That's a name that El Cid fans definitely remember well! xawesomex

kdinva
May 31st, 2013, 09:30 AM

Thanks, I was reading from the Atl-Sun website....

http://www.atlanticsun.org/wlacrosse/news/2012-13/7870/elon-announces-inaugural-lacrosse-roster/

SpeedkingATL
May 31st, 2013, 09:57 AM
With Bobby and Sparky coming back to the SoCon, the excitement level on the sidelines at games will certainly go up. Lamb is one of the most outgoing Coaches I have ever seen and I mean that in a positive way. Every time one of those crazy things would happen to Furman at The Rock you couldn't wait to see Bobby's reaction and he never disappointed. BTW, both these guys can really coach and recruit.

Apphole
May 31st, 2013, 10:28 AM
Once you depart AGS after getting tired of ****ting on the AGS/FCS front porch since the day App became part of the Sunbelt and FBS, the servers should be just fine.

Sorry your feelings are hurt. I'm not used to dealing with overly sensitive men. My apologies.

What he said.

Mr. C
May 31st, 2013, 12:42 PM
Can't wait to see Bobby Lamb's first trip back to Furman with his Mercer squad. That will be fun. Might have to be in the press box for that.

CID1990
May 31st, 2013, 12:56 PM
Can't wait to see Bobby Lamb's first trip back to Furman with his Mercer squad. That will be fun. Might have to be in the press box for that.

I give Mercer two full seasons of football and they'll be competitive. Three at the outside. I think ETSU appears very serious about football as well, and that bodes well for their chances, also.

Hopefully the readmittance back to the SoCon will be a shot in the arm for VMI, maybe encourage them to make the necessary internal changes to be competitive once again.

eaglewraith
May 31st, 2013, 01:30 PM
With Bobby and Sparky coming back to the SoCon, the excitement level on the sidelines at games will certainly go up. Lamb is one of the most outgoing Coaches I have ever seen and I mean that in a positive way. Every time one of those crazy things would happen to Furman at The Rock you couldn't wait to see Bobby's reaction and he never disappointed. BTW, both these guys can really coach and recruit.

Hide the trash cans.

kdinva
May 31st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Hopefully the readmittance back to the SoCon will be a shot in the arm for VMI, maybe encourage them to make the necessary internal changes to be competitive once again.

we've been wanting that for only, say 20-25 years. xchinscratchx

kdinva
May 31st, 2013, 04:57 PM
Finally:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208040360&DB_OEM_ID=9800

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2013, 07:25 PM
I give Mercer two full seasons of football and they'll be competitive. Three at the outside. I think ETSU appears very serious about football as well, and that bodes well for their chances, also.

Drove by the stadium this morning. Already a lot larger than I was expecting. Looks bigger than Elon's already. I was quite surprised.

I had realized that Mercer was expanding seating capacity already, and did find this blog article about expanding the bleachers at the stadium. The picture there is just a rendering, but I can say that from having seen it this morning, it is pretty close. http://www.mastercraftbleachers.com/_blog/Bleacher_Blog/post/New_Stadium_Bleachers_-_Mercer_University_Moving_Along/

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2013, 07:28 PM

I think he will be well received. Bobby gave a lot of good years at Furman, and hopefully enough time has passed for both sides to have moved on after what was a bit of a terse departure.

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2013, 07:36 PM

I don't know if Lamb is as good a recruiter as folks assume he is. It has been humbling to see how poorly Furman recruited in the final few years of Lamb's tenure. Folks often saw that you give a coach four years after he's hired to really see how good he is. Well, after Bobby Johnson's players had all graduated, Furman didn't make the playoffs again. There's a contingent of Furman fans that feel Lamb truly benefitted by Johnson's good recruiting, and hitting a bullseye on a couple of players (Ingle Martin, Jerodis Williams, Adam Mims, and Jerome Felton, in particular).

I really did not realize all of this until Fowler was hired. Fowler has been forced to play just an army of freshmen and sophomores in his first two seasons. The reason he has to is because there simply was a bare cupboard when he arrived.

DoWe
May 31st, 2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know if Lamb is as good a recruiter as folks assume he is. It has been humbling to see how poorly Furman recruited in the final few years of Lamb's tenure. Folks often saw that you give a coach four years after he's hired to really see how good he is. Well, after Bobby Johnson's players had all graduated, Furman didn't make the playoffs again. There's a contingent of Furman fans that feel Lamb truly benefitted by Johnson's good recruiting, and hitting a bullseye on a couple of players (Ingle Martin, Jerodis Williams, Adam Mims, and Jerome Felton, in particular).

I really did not realize all of this until Fowler was hired. Fowler has been forced to play just an army of freshmen and sophomores in his first two seasons. The reason he has to is because there simply was a bare cupboard when he arrived.
Sorry, not buying the "it's Bobby's fault excuse". He was working for the University and I trust recruiting the the very best athletes he stood a chance of landing on campus...at the time.

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2013, 09:11 PM
Sorry, not buying the "it's Bobby's fault excuse". He was working for the University and I trust recruiting the the very best athletes he stood a chance of landing on campus...at the time.

I'm not blaming Lamb. I watched nearly every game during his tenure at Furman. He's a good coach. I do think he became fixated on the idea of making Furman into a smaller quicker football team. I think he moved the program away from its roots, focusing more on spread formations and the 4-2-5 defense. It didn't work, in my opinion. I think the results support that.