PDA

View Full Version : Elon President and AD Clears the Air on Move

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I found this interesting.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/elon-sports/southern-conference-attrition-factored-in-elon-s-move-to-caa-1.150899

Lambert has taken exception to material in the final line of a Times-News report last week that read: Sources have said Elon, and Lambert specifically, have not supported East Tennessee State and VMI for potential Southern Conference inclusion.

“It is absolutely the opposite of the truth,” Lambert said. “The fact of the matter is we were active proponents of VMI. I love VMI.”

Lambert said the last vote Elon participated in regarding Southern Conference expansion was to authorize campus visits for East Tennessee State, Mercer and VMI.

“Elon voted for all of them. So that’s the record,” Lambert said. “It was unanimous across the conference. That’s the record.”

Translation: We love VMI. It's the other schools we hated.

In the process that ultimately produced its decision to join the Colonial Athletic Association, Elon University viewed the Southern Conference’s state of flux as impossible to ignore.

“Obviously, it was a concern,” Elon president Leo Lambert said. “It’s a very unstable time right now in the world of college athletics. Of course, that was foremost in our mind in terms of thinking about not only what was happening, but what could be in the future.”

“We have had two very fine, longstanding football powerhouses leave the conference and two very prestigious basketball (programs) leave,” Lambert said, referring to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern in football and Davidson and College of Charleston in basketball. “We were very concerned about Davidson College looking at other options, as well.

“Those are uncertainties, but that’s what we’re called upon to do. And our role sometimes is to make judgments on certain situations. And we were very, very pleased to have this extraordinary opportunity come before us, to consider the Colonial. It was, I think, a brilliant option for Elon to have the opportunity to evaluate and eventually accept.”

My Translation: We needed Davidson to give us hoops street cred. Once they left, the SoCon had no street cred. The CAA is weakened, but at least they still have some left.

DFW HOYA
May 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
A college president is responsible for hundreds of things at any given time--Lambert is the CEO of a $300 million company called "Elon University" and football still accounts for a very small share of overall expenses.

I think this board can sometimes read too much into a quote a college president is making to a newspaper.

Apphole
May 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Interesting that it's now Lambert's word against Big Birds as far as their reasons for leaving.

Also, your "translations," especially the first one, are completely putting words in his mouth. I seriously doubt they voted for all three schools at once. If it was "the other schools they hated," they wouldn't have voted for all of them as they did.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Interesting that it's now Lambert's word against Big Birds as far as their reasons for leaving.

Also, your "translations," especially the first one, are completely putting words in his mouth. I seriously doubt they voted for all three schools at once. If it was "the other schools they hated," they wouldn't have voted for all of them as they did.

There's "supported the move", and then there's "we love VMI". There's a difference between "loving" them and begrudgingly voting for their inclusion because you're in the minority.

Sandlapper Spike
May 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Not quite. Those sources referenced by Adam Smith also suggested that Elon wasn't happy with ETSU or VMI, regardless of what Lambert says now.

I would bet that Lambert has caught a lot of flack with regards to VMI in particular; the suggestion that Lambert specifically had been anti-VMI would not have been appreciated by a lot of people who actually matter to him. Hence, his new statement that "I love VMI".

I would be curious to know which schools Elon actually wanted the SoCon to add, other than Mercer.

walliver
May 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
The word on the street before Elon left was that they wanted the conference to expand northward. VMI fit in with that, Mercer and ETSU did not.

The only two institutions north of Elon that fit in with the SoCon would be UR and W&M, and as far as I know, neither had any interest in all-sports membership.

The only way Elon could expand in a northward direction was to move to a mid-atlantic/northern conference.

Like so much of this realignment talk, people rarely come out and say what they really mean. Elon was not competitive with ASU or GSU on the gridiron, or with Davy in hoops, so the importance of those schools leaving is overemphasized. As for Big Bird, he needs to spend less time with his thesaurus and more time with basic grammar so that the rest of us have a clue what he is talking about.

Saint3333
May 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Does anyone have a jump to conclusions mat?

EKU-n-GSU
May 30th, 2013, 10:43 AM

No but there's probably an app for that (and I don't mean 'App' State).

cmaxwellgsu
May 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM

You can probably get the link to buy one off some guy's free blog maybe.....

bigred
May 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
“It is absolutely the opposite of the truth,” Lambert said. “The fact of the matter is we were active proponents of VMI. I love VMI.”

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

813Jag
May 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM
here ya go:
http://www.yankscallitsoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/JumpToConclusionsMat.png

Mr. C
May 31st, 2013, 12:55 PM
Not quite. Those sources referenced by Adam Smith also suggested that Elon wasn't happy with ETSU or VMI, regardless of what Lambert says now.

I would bet that Lambert has caught a lot of flack with regards to VMI in particular; the suggestion that Lambert specifically had been anti-VMI would not have been appreciated by a lot of people who actually matter to him. Hence, his new statement that "I love VMI".

I would be curious to know which schools Elon actually wanted the SoCon to add, other than Mercer.
I would believe Adam Smith any day before I would trust Lambert. Adam Smith has done an excellent job covering Elon through the years and knows his stuff.

fc97
May 31st, 2013, 01:07 PM
I would believe Adam Smith any day before I would trust Lambert. Adam Smith has done an excellent job covering Elon through the years and knows his stuff.

well to be honest, the lambert quote calls out vmi specifically. adam smith' stuff never quoted where elon officials stood on any individual member. other writers like jeff hartzell are the ones that said elonwas against all three. but even then, it doesn't say all three as a group or all three individually.

its all about context.

Pard4Life
May 31st, 2013, 02:43 PM
I think this board can sometimes read too much into a quote a college president is making to a newspaper.

Oh I don't know... see my signature.